School Uniforms This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

It's the first day of school and you have to find the perfect outfit to make a good impression. Lucky for me, I don't have this problem: my private school requires I wear a uniform. Some may think this is not a good idea, but I think it is very positive.

In school, one of the most important things is your style. The more you have, the more popular and noticed you will probably be. With uniforms, there's no discrimination because of what you're wearing. Everyone is united under the same style.

Clothing often reflects who you are and who you socialize with. In most schools, there are groups of students who dress alike. All the jocks dress differently from the preps who have a different style from the punks. You may even avoid a particular person because of what they are wearing. Uniforms require students to get to know each other by finding out about who they really are.

There are many styles of clothing, some appropriate for school and others not. Peers and the media pressure us to dress and look a certain way. Some clothing contains logos promoting drugs, alcohol or even violence. Midriff shirts, halters and mini skirts are advertised everywhere. Since students want to fit in and be cool, they want to wear this type of clothing. In most school systems, however, it is not allowed. Uniforms help eliminate these problems. All students look similar. They all fit in. There are no distractions. Uniforms allow students to concentrate on learning instead of what they are wearing.

Money also plays a big part in the clothing we wear. Not all styles are affordable. Students are ridiculed because they can't afford "in" clothing. Some may even feel pressured to steal to get the right clothing. Although uniforms are initially expensive, they can be worn for years, making them cost effective and less expensive than regular clothes.

When my school allows us a dress-down day, we can wear regular clothes. We show off our styles and wear our favorite shirts with jeans. Surprisingly, on dress-down days, we remain similar. We know each other well enough to be ourselves. Even without uniforms, we dress alike!

I believe uniforms help unite us in a common goal: to do well in school. It is a symbol of our unity. They demonstrate to everyone that we are more than just our clothes: we are all individuals.

mel.mel. said...
Jul. 25, 2010 at 5:52 pm:
i dissagree with ladi because it is the one thing teens have that get tooken away from them every day because of school districts we should go on strike

tianaxbiddy said...
Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:03 am:
i disagree. school uniforms dont show that you are an indiviual. they are just cloths that every1 must wear because they are told to. what if every1 in the world dressd like that? would there be less crime? the answer to that is no the crimes would be the same not more not less because uniforms dont show individuality. why do you think prisons use them? why do you think the army uses uniforms? they are showin that every1 is the same even tho ppl arent the same.

pollorambo said...
Jun. 16, 2010 at 9:17 am:

i agree with thinker

nana,nana-bissness said...
Jun. 8, 2010 at 10:50 am:
Sorry about that last comment I made a mistake but you DO totally get me!!!!!!

Thinker said...
May 25, 2010 at 7:05 pm:
From experiance in both uniformed and un-uniformed schools, I find that the problem isn't the clothes, but rather the refusal of others to accept people for who they are. The uniforms are a "Band-Aid" solution to a major underlying socal problem. Un-educated inhabitions.

nana,nana-bissness replied...
Jun. 8, 2010 at 10:41 am :
I disagree with you ,I think that the clothes people wear show who they are inside

Scarecrow This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 21, 2010 at 1:24 pm :
If everybody was wearing uniforms, wouldn't they be accepted for who they are rather than what they wear?

Thinker replied...
Aug. 24, 2010 at 9:35 am :
The idea that people are what they wear is vain, remeber the addage, never judge a book by the cover. But that is what schools are teaching their students, enforcing vainity, the underlying cause of bullying, and they are stripping students of independent self esteem. This is appearant in the way that most students can't even think clearly if it isn't in a structured enviorment, without habit they are lost. Remember, happiness is more than a smile on your face.

Aug. 26, 2010 at 8:23 pm :
So how would uniform appearance promote vanity?

Thinker replied...
Aug. 27, 2010 at 4:57 pm :
From the schools point of view, a student who dresses as a student does better. Supposedly its based on the psycology of uniformity, I call it vainity. The idea is the same as the posters that they hang on the wall, if you think you look like a student, then you will become one, and become a better one over time. Anyone who has the ability to think for themselves knows this is just a political tatic. Schoos have too much social power as it is.

Thinker replied...
Aug. 27, 2010 at 4:59 pm :
Basically, the school thinks that by changing to cover of the book, they change the content of it also, which we all know is total @*%$#!!!! If you catch my drift.

Eeve replied...
Apr. 6, 2011 at 6:59 pm :
I must make the point that kids are vain and do judge based on clothes- for example "labels are for soupcans" but still people use them. For example, "Emo" people are hated by other students for what they wear, without anyone knowing what they are really like. Catch my drift?

Allygirl replied...
May 4, 2011 at 3:12 pm :
Well, yeah, but I'm pretttyy darn sure the "emos" dress like that for a reason. And, yeah kids are vain, but thats life. It is people in general are vain and judge mental. Thats life, not just school. No matter where you are you are getting judged. Are we supposed to wear uniforms outside of school too, just so that we fit in better?? Haa, fat chance.

AnneOnnimous said...
This was a great article but i disagree with it. Uniforms squash originality and individuality. Personally, i adore clothes and shopping, so I could never go to a school with uniforms. Also, I think the cost of normal clothes is less than that of uniforms: if you can't afford pricier clothes, you can get cheaper clothing, whereas when you have uniforms you are forced to buy something no matter what your budget is.

nana,nana-bissness replied...
Jun. 8, 2010 at 10:46 am :
Now this I agree with you  totally understand me !I think the same way!!!!!!

AnneOnnimous replied...
Jun. 8, 2010 at 7:59 pm :
aha, I'm glad you agree!!! :)

lovehate29 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I love that you support the place of uniforms. I had to wear a uniform throughout elementary school. I didn't mind at all. But throughout junior high and my first two years of high school, I have been wearing street clothes. I like both of the ideas. Now, I am so accustomed to wearing street clothes, that I would probably be upset if my high school switched. But I wouldn't complain because like Sophia said, I would love the "cute preppy look". LOL. Great article.

vjrgbyr@vur replied...
Jun. 8, 2010 at 10:52 am :
boooooooooooooooooooooo uniforms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thinker replied...
Aug. 24, 2010 at 9:38 am :
Please defend your opinnion with more than just your preferance, there is more to this issue than "likes" and "dis-likes".

LittleMiss replied...
Oct. 13, 2011 at 5:14 pm :
All of the preppy people at my school are mean, snotty, and immature so I do NOT want to look like them.