School Uniforms This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

It's the first day of school and you have to find the perfect outfit to make a good impression. Lucky for me, I don't have this problem: my private school requires I wear a uniform. Some may think this is not a good idea, but I think it is very positive.

In school, one of the most important things is your style. The more you have, the more popular and noticed you will probably be. With uniforms, there's no discrimination because of what you're wearing. Everyone is united under the same style.

Clothing often reflects who you are and who you socialize with. In most schools, there are groups of students who dress alike. All the jocks dress differently from the preps who have a different style from the punks. You may even avoid a particular person because of what they are wearing. Uniforms require students to get to know each other by finding out about who they really are.

There are many styles of clothing, some appropriate for school and others not. Peers and the media pressure us to dress and look a certain way. Some clothing contains logos promoting drugs, alcohol or even violence. Midriff shirts, halters and mini skirts are advertised everywhere. Since students want to fit in and be cool, they want to wear this type of clothing. In most school systems, however, it is not allowed. Uniforms help eliminate these problems. All students look similar. They all fit in. There are no distractions. Uniforms allow students to concentrate on learning instead of what they are wearing.

Money also plays a big part in the clothing we wear. Not all styles are affordable. Students are ridiculed because they can't afford "in" clothing. Some may even feel pressured to steal to get the right clothing. Although uniforms are initially expensive, they can be worn for years, making them cost effective and less expensive than regular clothes.

When my school allows us a dress-down day, we can wear regular clothes. We show off our styles and wear our favorite shirts with jeans. Surprisingly, on dress-down days, we remain similar. We know each other well enough to be ourselves. Even without uniforms, we dress alike!

I believe uniforms help unite us in a common goal: to do well in school. It is a symbol of our unity. They demonstrate to everyone that we are more than just our clothes: we are all individuals.

wild child:)) said...
Nov. 22, 2010 at 9:54 am
i think school uniforms should be placed in ever school for the simple fact that it will cut down on alot of drama and will increase school sprit.

keke replied...
Dec. 1, 2010 at 8:28 am
yea that true but we need to express ourselfs in wat we  wear

wild child:)) replied...
Dec. 1, 2010 at 9:52 am
thats true to but there are so many different ways to do that at the same time.

sweet blond said...
put the u in uniforms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! u dont have to worry about what to ware!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! luv uniformes

chuky said...
Nov. 11, 2010 at 9:59 am
everyboody has his (her) own character, but if schools require uniforms and control everuthing students wear. It's difficult for students 2 show this individuality. Besides sometimes they are uncomfotable and we can't experess our selfs

*Elle* said...
I agree with nothing that you have said. We dont have school uniforms and our school has tried to do but it doesnt fly. Everyone including parents protest. Just because you are wearing the same outfit as someone DOES NOT mean you will fit in! Im a punk kid that doesnt mean that since I dress punk that I will fit with every punk kid. Uniforms eliminate nothing! Kids still get bullied and nothing changes except you should absolutely no individuality! School uniforms should be banned not instilled.

taaaaylor replied...
Jan. 31, 2012 at 11:26 am
im doing a pro & con prject for my school , i need some help ! i really believe in the *NO SCHOOL UNIFORMS* but, i still have to go both sides of the debate . can someone please help me out?!

agricola said...
i tottally agree nothing else to say

Dianeyka said...

Well I think that we should Dress Freely

It Show Our Sense in style and our personality... it Would Be a Ah'mazing ..but  Dress Classy Not Trashy ya' feel me.!

hahahahaha94 said...
Well i have dress code no sphagetti strap or booty shorts but other then that we express ourselves but who cares no one really does that so...

Annabel D. said...
If ours wasn't so restrictive then it'd be fine - there are even rules about socks and hair bobbles. We're not even a private school, just a bog standard UK high school. Other than that they're fine, although I'd definitely prefer a dress code rather than a full on uniform.

Niftygrrl said...

Uniforms would be great if they were cute and looked like they stepped off gossip girl but most the time they don't.

I hate my schools Uniform!

J. Rae said...
Aug. 5, 2010 at 9:08 am
Our school has a dress code, were you have to light blue or white or navy polos, or tan or black pants. It makes getting ready in the morning so much easier, and you can still express yourself. You can wear funky clorored belts( we have to wear belts and tuck in our shirts. UGH!) and jewlery that is your style. My friends and I created "crazy sock Friday" were everyone wears crazy knee socks with tan skirts. So i think that dress code is teh way to go, not uniforms.

mel.mel. said...
i dissagree with ladi because it is the one thing teens have that get tooken away from them every day because of school districts we should go on strike

tianaxbiddy said...
Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:03 am
i disagree. school uniforms dont show that you are an indiviual. they are just cloths that every1 must wear because they are told to. what if every1 in the world dressd like that? would there be less crime? the answer to that is no the crimes would be the same not more not less because uniforms dont show individuality. why do you think prisons use them? why do you think the army uses uniforms? they are showin that every1 is the same even tho ppl arent the same.

pollorambo said...
Jun. 16, 2010 at 9:17 am

i agree with thinker

nana,nana-bissness said...
Jun. 8, 2010 at 10:50 am
Sorry about that last comment I made a mistake but you DO totally get me!!!!!!

Thinker said...
From experiance in both uniformed and un-uniformed schools, I find that the problem isn't the clothes, but rather the refusal of others to accept people for who they are. The uniforms are a "Band-Aid" solution to a major underlying socal problem. Un-educated inhabitions.

nana,nana-bissness replied...
Jun. 8, 2010 at 10:41 am
I disagree with you ,I think that the clothes people wear show who they are inside

Scarecrow This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
If everybody was wearing uniforms, wouldn't they be accepted for who they are rather than what they wear?

Thinker replied...
Aug. 24, 2010 at 9:35 am
The idea that people are what they wear is vain, remeber the addage, never judge a book by the cover. But that is what schools are teaching their students, enforcing vainity, the underlying cause of bullying, and they are stripping students of independent self esteem. This is appearant in the way that most students can't even think clearly if it isn't in a structured enviorment, without habit they are lost. Remember, happiness is more than a smile on your face.