School Uniforms This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

It's the first day of school and you have to find the perfect outfit to make a good impression. Lucky for me, I don't have this problem: my private school requires I wear a uniform. Some may think this is not a good idea, but I think it is very positive.

In school, one of the most important things is your style. The more you have, the more popular and noticed you will probably be. With uniforms, there's no discrimination because of what you're wearing. Everyone is united under the same style.

Clothing often reflects who you are and who you socialize with. In most schools, there are groups of students who dress alike. All the jocks dress differently from the preps who have a different style from the punks. You may even avoid a particular person because of what they are wearing. Uniforms require students to get to know each other by finding out about who they really are.

There are many styles of clothing, some appropriate for school and others not. Peers and the media pressure us to dress and look a certain way. Some clothing contains logos promoting drugs, alcohol or even violence. Midriff shirts, halters and mini skirts are advertised everywhere. Since students want to fit in and be cool, they want to wear this type of clothing. In most school systems, however, it is not allowed. Uniforms help eliminate these problems. All students look similar. They all fit in. There are no distractions. Uniforms allow students to concentrate on learning instead of what they are wearing.

Money also plays a big part in the clothing we wear. Not all styles are affordable. Students are ridiculed because they can't afford "in" clothing. Some may even feel pressured to steal to get the right clothing. Although uniforms are initially expensive, they can be worn for years, making them cost effective and less expensive than regular clothes.

When my school allows us a dress-down day, we can wear regular clothes. We show off our styles and wear our favorite shirts with jeans. Surprisingly, on dress-down days, we remain similar. We know each other well enough to be ourselves. Even without uniforms, we dress alike!

I believe uniforms help unite us in a common goal: to do well in school. It is a symbol of our unity. They demonstrate to everyone that we are more than just our clothes: we are all individuals.

JakeandAmir said...
When I'm writing it I find my personal views contridicting what I have come to believe while researching the topic. In my paper I am for it because all the benifits there are but personally I would hate to have the rule be inforced at my school. Also as I read her essay I can't help but notice how she talks about clothes being distracting and yet at my school nobody even cares. You just wear what you want.

JakeandAmir said...
I'm writing a report on this topic and I found this page very helpful. I didn't actually care about the essay the girl wrote but the comments to see how many people were with uniforms and how many were against.

JohnChan said...
Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:28 am
In my school, we can wear anything we like but must be appropriated. But i got a question, Why do we have to tuck in our clothes? Does tucking in our clothes means something?

IndigoFlower replied...
Jun. 9, 2011 at 12:02 am
I think they make you tuck in your clothes because it makes you appear tidier

foxtrot said...
us as teen need to express our selves. i dont want to look like every girl in the school because im one person and no one person is the same.

Sallysunshine said...
I really don't like unifoms they stink. Don't u think tucking in shirts are kinda annoying?

athenadagreat replied...
Dec. 6, 2011 at 9:33 am
AGREED!! thanks i really agrre with you and i mite use this on my report for school

madison2015 said...
i go to a private school and we have a uniform which shows no individuality in history we r learning about the constitution & the first ammendment says we have the right to wear what we want!!!

lil67 said...
I dont agree actually

keke said...
Dec. 1, 2010 at 8:25 am
i totally agree lolx

wild child:)) said...
Nov. 22, 2010 at 9:54 am
i think school uniforms should be placed in ever school for the simple fact that it will cut down on alot of drama and will increase school sprit.

keke replied...
Dec. 1, 2010 at 8:28 am
yea that true but we need to express ourselfs in wat we  wear

wild child:)) replied...
Dec. 1, 2010 at 9:52 am
thats true to but there are so many different ways to do that at the same time.

sweet blond said...
put the u in uniforms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! u dont have to worry about what to ware!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! luv uniformes

chuky said...
Nov. 11, 2010 at 9:59 am
everyboody has his (her) own character, but if schools require uniforms and control everuthing students wear. It's difficult for students 2 show this individuality. Besides sometimes they are uncomfotable and we can't experess our selfs

*Elle* said...
I agree with nothing that you have said. We dont have school uniforms and our school has tried to do but it doesnt fly. Everyone including parents protest. Just because you are wearing the same outfit as someone DOES NOT mean you will fit in! Im a punk kid that doesnt mean that since I dress punk that I will fit with every punk kid. Uniforms eliminate nothing! Kids still get bullied and nothing changes except you should absolutely no individuality! School uniforms should be banned not instilled.

taaaaylor replied...
Jan. 31, 2012 at 11:26 am
im doing a pro & con prject for my school , i need some help ! i really believe in the *NO SCHOOL UNIFORMS* but, i still have to go both sides of the debate . can someone please help me out?!

agricola said...
i tottally agree nothing else to say

Dianeyka said...

Well I think that we should Dress Freely

It Show Our Sense in style and our personality... it Would Be a Ah'mazing ..but  Dress Classy Not Trashy ya' feel me.!

hahahahaha94 said...
Well i have dress code no sphagetti strap or booty shorts but other then that we express ourselves but who cares no one really does that so...