School Uniforms This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

It's the first day of school and you have to find the perfect outfit to make a good impression. Lucky for me, I don't have this problem: my private school requires I wear a uniform. Some may think this is not a good idea, but I think it is very positive.

In school, one of the most important things is your style. The more you have, the more popular and noticed you will probably be. With uniforms, there's no discrimination because of what you're wearing. Everyone is united under the same style.

Clothing often reflects who you are and who you socialize with. In most schools, there are groups of students who dress alike. All the jocks dress differently from the preps who have a different style from the punks. You may even avoid a particular person because of what they are wearing. Uniforms require students to get to know each other by finding out about who they really are.

There are many styles of clothing, some appropriate for school and others not. Peers and the media pressure us to dress and look a certain way. Some clothing contains logos promoting drugs, alcohol or even violence. Midriff shirts, halters and mini skirts are advertised everywhere. Since students want to fit in and be cool, they want to wear this type of clothing. In most school systems, however, it is not allowed. Uniforms help eliminate these problems. All students look similar. They all fit in. There are no distractions. Uniforms allow students to concentrate on learning instead of what they are wearing.

Money also plays a big part in the clothing we wear. Not all styles are affordable. Students are ridiculed because they can't afford "in" clothing. Some may even feel pressured to steal to get the right clothing. Although uniforms are initially expensive, they can be worn for years, making them cost effective and less expensive than regular clothes.

When my school allows us a dress-down day, we can wear regular clothes. We show off our styles and wear our favorite shirts with jeans. Surprisingly, on dress-down days, we remain similar. We know each other well enough to be ourselves. Even without uniforms, we dress alike!

I believe uniforms help unite us in a common goal: to do well in school. It is a symbol of our unity. They demonstrate to everyone that we are more than just our clothes: we are all individuals.

Cheese said...
Nov. 17, 2011 at 8:35 am:
I'm glad that I don't have to wear uniforms, because I think they are ugly. And I would like to show my personality trough my clothes. I think that I wouldn't be the same if I wear a uniform. That's just my opinion.

cool story bro replied...
Jan. 23, 2012 at 9:08 pm :
i agree sista!

HottiesDK said...
Nov. 17, 2011 at 8:34 am:
We're from a school in Denmark, and we don't have any rules about wearing schooluniforms. We're both against and for it. We think it would be very boring if everyone have to wear the same clothes, but on the other hand no one could bully you with clothes. Maybe the uniforms are uncomfortable, and very expensive.  

music.child said...
Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:16 am:

I think that school uniforms are not improving anything but they are just making everything more stressful for the students and the parents to have to buy them. Uniforms are not cheep they are really exspensive even when you have to wear skirts. Uniforms are making more problems then before because now we are getting told we cant wear this and we cant wear that. If the staff, teachers and principal enforced the rule of what the student hand book said then you would not have to worry about stu... (more »)

AnnaRead This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 12, 2012 at 9:11 pm :
Same! I hated them when I was at my private school and love having the freedom of wearing what I want.  I have acually found that there is less bulling at my public school than my private with uniforms.  School unifroms deprive students of imagination and teachers assume that everything is fine and there is no bulling JUST BECAUSE WE HAD UNIFORMS ON! School uniforms do more harm than hurt.  STOP UNIFORMS! 

salpal said...
i  dont like school uniforms. I have to wear the and in school i like to be comfy but i cant. Also im self consious in my uniform

DifferentTeen said...
Honestly, I don't see the point in them. Well I do, but it never works out the way its meant to. If someone is made fun of for not being "attractive" making them wear the same thing as everyone else just makes it easier for the other kids to pick out things. Sure they won't make fun of what they're wearing, since they're wearing the same thing, sure uniforms eliminate that problem. But it will also lead kids into making fun of another's looks which I think is worse for a persons self confid... (more »)

DifferentTeen replied...
Aug. 7, 2011 at 6:08 pm :

Last thing, I noticed you said it eliminates distractions from what people wear. My school is always saying "you don't go to school to judge what other people wear, you come to learn." So why are they SO obsessed with what we wear?

(sorry for the novel haha, nice article though, I like your style! ) :D

Alon_Freevoice said...
Jul. 26, 2011 at 8:16 pm:
We wear uniforms at school but there is still this "circles". But maybe, you're just lucky to be where you are. :)

rockyraccoon said...
Jun. 17, 2011 at 8:46 pm:
i disagree with you. im a smidge of a slob and tend to dress in clothes that are stained or wrinkeled and that was apparent when i wore a school uniform and when i did not have to. you can still seperate people even when there forced to where pretty much the same thing.

peaceluvtoast said...
May 4, 2011 at 11:59 am:
I think it would be a positive idea to spread uniforms throughout school districts

athenadagreat replied...
Dec. 6, 2011 at 9:31 am :
you are crazy!! nobody likes uniforms and even a lot of peoples parents are against it!! uniforms suck and im doing this on a school project.

enger said...
Apr. 28, 2011 at 10:45 am:
i think to all the school need to have a uniform is better like that and that is my own opinion

Hi 11 said...
Apr. 28, 2011 at 10:39 am:
Nice article

christina said...
Apr. 28, 2011 at 10:39 am:
no comment:)

BIG DADDY said...
Apr. 28, 2011 at 10:39 am:
IT NOT THAT TRUEE 

dudemagnet said...
Apr. 25, 2011 at 9:53 am:
i like to express myself im kinda funky and its cool like in my coltes and im not about to change it now

JakeandAmir said...
Feb. 27, 2011 at 4:21 pm:
When I'm writing it I find my personal views contridicting what I have come to believe while researching the topic. In my paper I am for it because all the benifits there are but personally I would hate to have the rule be inforced at my school. Also as I read her essay I can't help but notice how she talks about clothes being distracting and yet at my school nobody even cares. You just wear what you want.

JakeandAmir said...
Feb. 27, 2011 at 4:17 pm:
I'm writing a report on this topic and I found this page very helpful. I didn't actually care about the essay the girl wrote but the comments to see how many people were with uniforms and how many were against.

JohnChan said...
Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:28 am:
In my school, we can wear anything we like but must be appropriated. But i got a question, Why do we have to tuck in our clothes? Does tucking in our clothes means something?