School Uniforms This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

It's the first day of school and you have to find the perfect outfit to make a good impression. Lucky for me, I don't have this problem: my private school requires I wear a uniform. Some may think this is not a good idea, but I think it is very positive.

In school, one of the most important things is your style. The more you have, the more popular and noticed you will probably be. With uniforms, there's no discrimination because of what you're wearing. Everyone is united under the same style.

Clothing often reflects who you are and who you socialize with. In most schools, there are groups of students who dress alike. All the jocks dress differently from the preps who have a different style from the punks. You may even avoid a particular person because of what they are wearing. Uniforms require students to get to know each other by finding out about who they really are.

There are many styles of clothing, some appropriate for school and others not. Peers and the media pressure us to dress and look a certain way. Some clothing contains logos promoting drugs, alcohol or even violence. Midriff shirts, halters and mini skirts are advertised everywhere. Since students want to fit in and be cool, they want to wear this type of clothing. In most school systems, however, it is not allowed. Uniforms help eliminate these problems. All students look similar. They all fit in. There are no distractions. Uniforms allow students to concentrate on learning instead of what they are wearing.

Money also plays a big part in the clothing we wear. Not all styles are affordable. Students are ridiculed because they can't afford "in" clothing. Some may even feel pressured to steal to get the right clothing. Although uniforms are initially expensive, they can be worn for years, making them cost effective and less expensive than regular clothes.

When my school allows us a dress-down day, we can wear regular clothes. We show off our styles and wear our favorite shirts with jeans. Surprisingly, on dress-down days, we remain similar. We know each other well enough to be ourselves. Even without uniforms, we dress alike!

I believe uniforms help unite us in a common goal: to do well in school. It is a symbol of our unity. They demonstrate to everyone that we are more than just our clothes: we are all individuals.

GlamourKat said...
I have to wear a uniform at my school, and I hate it.  It's not that ugly, but it's boring.  Everyone is not the same, and we should not have to pretend that we are by dressing alike.  Also, teachers have to waste their time checking everyone for uniform violations.  Uniforms are also very expensive, and we still need clothes for ouside of school.  And uniforms do not cut down on bullying at all.  Bullies just find other things to pick on people about, and s... (more »)

hassan123 replied...
Mar. 19, 2013 at 2:57 pm :
i think we should have school uniforms because it help lot to focus on the work and not wasteing time on watch poeple cloth because if you wear unifrom that is help lot then you are not wear it ...you can have more time to do you homework and not finding the cloth for tomorrow for school.

nini102351 replied...
Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:22 am :
love your closing

Boredgirl2020 replied...
Feb. 17 at 6:21 pm :
just sayin' but if there aren't uniforms people get distracted by each others' clothes and we start failing so the author proves a point here.Just sayin'

CRAZYxBUNNI said...
Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:49 am:
i really like your closing statement. it is very effective. great job!

hassan123 replied...
Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:00 pm :
thanks you're also right

crazygracie said...
Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:29 am:
This is so great! I sometimes wish that my school has uniforms, and you really made a clear point in showing that you care about the subject. Well done!

twahhh said...
Well at my school the uniform isnt so bad but i really hate the fact that we have to wear uniforms even though they arnt that bad i still hate them i want my dress down freedom back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

emlski said...
When was this article orginally published

ChobaniLuvinPenguinThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Meredith, I must commend you on the brilliant points you have made in this article and how well you provide support to back up your opinion. I love the conclusion; it's well-phrased and clearly wraps up your article. BTW, I totally agree with you!

Jess said...
School uniforms are actually cheaper, if you think about it a uniform is brought and will last five or so years, which depending on the school may be the whole time through your high school, in the long run they are cheaper than wearing your own clothes everyday. Besides there is always the other option of getting a second hand uniform, which are generally pretty cheep or at least cheaper that the new. I have had mine for four years and it will well and truly last another 3. Even my shoes are fi... (more »)

jubs said...
Jun. 19, 2012 at 6:34 pm:
i don't think that schools should alow uniforms because you would have to wear it every day. What would happen if your mom washed them but didn't put them in the dryer then you wouldn't be in dress code and you would get in trouble. 

joe.D said...
May 4, 2012 at 2:41 pm:
I bet you both buy a lot. but what about the people that dont have the time of the money to. a school uniform may make the familly buy a uniform for a hole school year and for some that is a long time.

raceforce5 said...
Apr. 12, 2012 at 10:09 am:
school uniforms are great for schools

Lando said...
Mar. 26, 2012 at 2:01 pm:

Uniforms and Unicorns

What do you think of when you hear the word “unicorn?  I think “Umm… unicorns are fake, make believe.” But then I doubt myself, and I think “Well, they could exist somewhere. You never know.” Now, what do you think when you hear the word uniform? I think “Oh yuck.” Then there is the big “but” again. So I think “You know, they might really... (more »)

Trevor said...
Feb. 3, 2012 at 10:49 am:
uniforms suck

Lola said...
What about your at home clothes? You can't just wear your uniform all the time so if you think about it, to have school uniforms it takes more money.

taaaaylor said...
Jan. 31, 2012 at 11:36 am:
yes, yes they should !

dee350 said...
Jan. 31, 2012 at 11:31 am:
exactly it wont matter they should be banned

taaaaaylor said...
Jan. 31, 2012 at 11:24 am:
well , i agree with athenadagreat ! problem is that people believe that it "helps" stop bullying and all that but really you get bullied either way , but in different ways and also by outsides. no one really likes them , just saying .

athenadagreat said...
Dec. 6, 2011 at 9:27 am:
i agree with what you said. it makes perfect sense