School Uniforms This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

It's the first day of school and you have to find the perfect outfit to make a good impression. Lucky for me, I don't have this problem: my private school requires I wear a uniform. Some may think this is not a good idea, but I think it is very positive.

In school, one of the most important things is your style. The more you have, the more popular and noticed you will probably be. With uniforms, there's no discrimination because of what you're wearing. Everyone is united under the same style.

Clothing often reflects who you are and who you socialize with. In most schools, there are groups of students who dress alike. All the jocks dress differently from the preps who have a different style from the punks. You may even avoid a particular person because of what they are wearing. Uniforms require students to get to know each other by finding out about who they really are.

There are many styles of clothing, some appropriate for school and others not. Peers and the media pressure us to dress and look a certain way. Some clothing contains logos promoting drugs, alcohol or even violence. Midriff shirts, halters and mini skirts are advertised everywhere. Since students want to fit in and be cool, they want to wear this type of clothing. In most school systems, however, it is not allowed. Uniforms help eliminate these problems. All students look similar. They all fit in. There are no distractions. Uniforms allow students to concentrate on learning instead of what they are wearing.

Money also plays a big part in the clothing we wear. Not all styles are affordable. Students are ridiculed because they can't afford "in" clothing. Some may even feel pressured to steal to get the right clothing. Although uniforms are initially expensive, they can be worn for years, making them cost effective and less expensive than regular clothes.

When my school allows us a dress-down day, we can wear regular clothes. We show off our styles and wear our favorite shirts with jeans. Surprisingly, on dress-down days, we remain similar. We know each other well enough to be ourselves. Even without uniforms, we dress alike!

I believe uniforms help unite us in a common goal: to do well in school. It is a symbol of our unity. They demonstrate to everyone that we are more than just our clothes: we are all individuals.

Nictophylia said...
Jun. 28 at 11:13 am:
Until college, I wore uniforms all my life in school.  They can be irritating at times, but I agree that they are a good idea.  With uniforms, there is less chance someone will get bullied for her clothing/style.  I also don't think most uniforms are ugly-- mine were kind of cute.

boothang said...
May 15 at 9:27 am:
i think your right all the way  caus ei hate uniforms we should be able to bring out our feelings in clouthing instead of fighting but i also think that we should have unoiforms beacause of the way that peole are and the way they make fun of people its not cool at all it is hurendes i  hate it it gets me angry i cant even spelll right.........word

Mary&Oscar32 said...
Apr. 10 at 1:34 pm:
I love your opinion and I agree with you too. Hopefully there's someday uniforms in our school too. I'm done with people talking bad about what some of us wear.

screenergirl002 said...
Mar. 3 at 11:05 am:
I agree but then again i dont because at school everyone shouldnt have to be wearing the same thing on purpose just on a coincedince my school wears uniforms and i hate it because how are people supposed to express their personality if they wear boring clothes

nunyobeznus247 said...
Jan. 20 at 6:17 pm:
wow this is really good first i thought that uniforms were a bad idea but now im havin second thoughts :)

jose187 said...
love your writting i totaly agree with you

honeyxame said...
Dec. 11, 2013 at 10:17 am:
I agree. c:

rose4everdirectioner said...
Nov. 23, 2013 at 6:15 am:
yeah .. i agree with you .. its true from all sides this essay also can be in every thing not just schools 

Deej6595 said...
This is a fresh new perspective from someone who actually benefits from wearing school uniforms. I like the idea of uniforms because no is discriminated for what they have or don't have. As long as you have a day to be creative it's fine. I guess it depends on the type of people at your school too. It sounds like they are more accepting anyway. When I went to a private school people still made fun of what you chose to wear on those free days but maybe you have it better.

destiny123 said...
Nov. 12, 2013 at 7:48 am:
this article is great people should read this book maybe you could get some good ideas about this book in reading  about some uniforms 

Easyjet N5006 said...
Jun. 23, 2013 at 10:21 am:
Thank you very much Merydith. I am the school magazine editor and I posted your article. IT WAS A SUPER HIT !!!!

runnergirl said...
May 6, 2013 at 8:27 pm:
Before reading this piece I was completely against uniforms. Now that you put it this way I have a new perspective on things. I stiil enjoy being able to waer what I choose, but I completely understand your point of view. AMAZING piece!!!  

chrisharon2000 said...
May 1, 2013 at 3:20 pm:
i really like your writing style

noname said...
this is true even though i have never worn one

Taylor B. This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
While I respect your opinion, I have to disagree. My school has uniforms as well, and they are the worst thing that has ever happened to me. It does NOT make people equal, since I am still not accepted even though we have uniforms. It doesn't solve all problems, and I truly believe everyone should be able to express their own individuality through clothes. As teenagers, we're trying to figure out who we are, and clothes help us do that in a safe, non-threatening way. It's much better... (more »)

hassan2 said...
Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:08 am:
i think you are right because schoool unifrom is goood for everyone i the school and it make school lot of safe to. we should wear school unifrom in my school

BookemistThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:22 pm:
   Don't these schools do enough damage making all these kids think alike, now they have to make them look alike too? It's not a new idea, either. I first saw it in old newsreels from the 1930s, but it was hard to understand because the narration was in German.” ― George Carlin

GlamourKat said...
I have to wear a uniform at my school, and I hate it.  It's not that ugly, but it's boring.  Everyone is not the same, and we should not have to pretend that we are by dressing alike.  Also, teachers have to waste their time checking everyone for uniform violations.  Uniforms are also very expensive, and we still need clothes for ouside of school.  And uniforms do not cut down on bullying at all.  Bullies just find other things to pick on people about, and s... (more »)

tekeara lovely replied...
Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:33 am :
we need to wear uniforms for a reason it does help from bullies so i love wearing uniforms its cool

erika123 replied...
Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:11 pm :
i 100% agree!