School Uniforms This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

It's the first day of school and you have to find the perfect outfit to make a good impression. Lucky for me, I don't have this problem: my private school requires I wear a uniform. Some may think this is not a good idea, but I think it is very positive.

In school, one of the most important things is your style. The more you have, the more popular and noticed you will probably be. With uniforms, there's no discrimination because of what you're wearing. Everyone is united under the same style.

Clothing often reflects who you are and who you socialize with. In most schools, there are groups of students who dress alike. All the jocks dress differently from the preps who have a different style from the punks. You may even avoid a particular person because of what they are wearing. Uniforms require students to get to know each other by finding out about who they really are.

There are many styles of clothing, some appropriate for school and others not. Peers and the media pressure us to dress and look a certain way. Some clothing contains logos promoting drugs, alcohol or even violence. Midriff shirts, halters and mini skirts are advertised everywhere. Since students want to fit in and be cool, they want to wear this type of clothing. In most school systems, however, it is not allowed. Uniforms help eliminate these problems. All students look similar. They all fit in. There are no distractions. Uniforms allow students to concentrate on learning instead of what they are wearing.

Money also plays a big part in the clothing we wear. Not all styles are affordable. Students are ridiculed because they can't afford "in" clothing. Some may even feel pressured to steal to get the right clothing. Although uniforms are initially expensive, they can be worn for years, making them cost effective and less expensive than regular clothes.

When my school allows us a dress-down day, we can wear regular clothes. We show off our styles and wear our favorite shirts with jeans. Surprisingly, on dress-down days, we remain similar. We know each other well enough to be ourselves. Even without uniforms, we dress alike!

I believe uniforms help unite us in a common goal: to do well in school. It is a symbol of our unity. They demonstrate to everyone that we are more than just our clothes: we are all individuals.

WriteFreakThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 31 at 3:35 pm
Good article, just one thing. The whole "expensive clothes" thing... Have you ever looked at the cost of school uniforms?

annablossom said...
Apr. 17 at 7:52 pm
Good article, well written. However, not all uniforms encourage community and eliminate the discrimination against students who cannot afford trending clothes. My elementary and middle schools, for example, had three different shirt colors as part of our uniform, and you could tell who had money and who did not based solely on their shirt color; rich wore blue and yellow while those who did not come from money wore white. Also, children grow rapidly, meaning the uniform will have to replaced as ... (more »)

WritingAddict03 replied...
today at 10:02 pm
True. But in families with many children, the clothes are simply passed down. This is helpful because parent's don't have to go shopping for younger children because they hate their older sibling's style; they'd have to wear it anyway. Also, wealthier families who can afford to buy uniforms for rapidly growing children often sell their used clothing for cheaper prices, making it easier for people who struggle more to purchase almost brand-new clothes at good prices.

isha Yogesh nikam said...
Feb. 6 at 1:00 pm
V good I m proud of you

isha Yogesh nikam replied...
Feb. 6 at 1:04 pm
I love it very much I m joking hahaha........

Claud said...
Oct. 6, 2016 at 9:34 am
It's a very great opinion writing❤❤ Love it

Claud said...
Oct. 6, 2016 at 9:34 am

WriterExpert7This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 5, 2016 at 7:06 am
Great Thoughts, Great Writing-Style! Thanks for the article.

Batman said...
Dec. 9, 2015 at 11:07 am
Boooooooooooooo

Succubus-ChanThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
@TruthTeller is correct. Does it really matter about popularity? Yuki shouldN'T even be focusing on that in school! School is one of the only places where you should be able to find reliable, durable friendships. If you want to become a popular attention hog, do it. But, in all honesty, you shouldn't be judged because of what you're wearing. Style doesn't say anything about who you are, or you're personality. It's amateur things like this that annoy me.

Ghostwriter said...
Oct. 17, 2015 at 10:44 am
This story is so relatable to me. Not that I have a friend with cancer but the fact that I have a best friend more like a sister who I love and hold close to my heart! I mean I love a happy ending but I love that the fact Mona sadly wasn't because life isn't always perfect, not every cancer patient gets to have a happy ending like in the movies. I love that she was vulnerable and the fact that Mona's friend was there till the day they met and the last of her breath! This was heart... (more »)

Angie Furgerson said...
I really think this inspires me. Btw, I'm jealous u have school uniforms!

TruthTeller said...
Most of the kids that are complaining about school uniforms probably haven't worn any at all. Also the "You need your own style to express your self" statement is bullshit. That is called judging a book by it's cover and quite frankly its getting tiring. You don't need clothes to show who you really are.

angie said...
May 27, 2015 at 11:15 am
this is amazing buddy! You have a lot of talent! So proud of you! My son nick went to the center for independence with your brother...

alexandramousey said...
I say no cause peeps should have their own styles and where what is comfy to them!

Taconyah H. said...
cool but still stupid af

dymplez4226 said...
Mar. 18, 2015 at 11:09 am
you stupid @Crispyrick42069

Crispyrick42069 said...
@Deej6595 HEY

Deej6595 replied...
Do you agree?

Crispyrick42069 replied...
you suck my butt i dont care my n ni gg a @Deej6595