The Importance of Music in Schools This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

"Music helps the mind develop and grow," my dad often says, and I have found this to be very true. It is a proven fact that participating in a music program in school will help develop your brain to a higher level and faster than other students. Music actually improves communication between the right and left sides of the brain, allowing you to gain better comprehension and memorization skills.

So, why do we need music in our schools? Well, because music is everything.

Music is science. It is exact and demands acoustics. The conductor's score is a graph that contains volume changes, melody and harmony, all the while keeping the group at a constant pace.

Music is math. It is based on the rhythmic subdivisions of time, done in a split second.

Music is history. The music you hear or play is usually an indication of the time and environment in which it was created.

Music is physical education. It requires an immense amount of coordination of fingers, hands, arms, lips, cheeks and facial muscles. Not to mention control of your diaphragm, back, stomach and chest muscles to make sure every note comes out clearly and in pitch.

Music is a foreign language. Its terms are usually in Italian and the music is not in any language known to man. It is its own language and uses symbols to represent ideas.

Music is the universal language that everyone understands and can relate to. Music is what brings everything together. It is something that everyone knows.

Most of all, music is art. It is the greatest form of art that allows a human to take boring notes on a page, and transform them into an emotion and feeling you cannot measure.

Music is just as important as all the classes you are required to take, and it is critical that music classes remain in schools. Not only to provide a place for students to belong, but also something that will help their minds grow and develop like no other class. Music is a very important part of our life, and if we take it away, who knows what the world would be like.

rightbehindyou61 said...
Jul. 7, 2010 at 8:54 pm:
i really like the way you did this. you took subjects that most people agree are important, and showed how music requires the use of them. great jon. :)

rightbehindyou61 replied...
Jul. 7, 2010 at 8:55 pm :
whoops, i meant to say job instead of jon. lolz

Gail/Kevin said...
Jun. 15, 2010 at 8:33 am:

I agree with you, music is an essential thing on our lives, unfortunately we don´t have music classes on our school, we have drawing classes though but I would totally prefer to learn music. Music involves everything, in music you combine all other of your classes, like math and grammar.

For example, I am guitarist, but unfortunately my school doesn´t teach you anything about this. I´ve been learning by myself, and I really want to get better at this, and I think I am... (more »)

krazykathleen said...
May 2, 2010 at 12:15 pm:
I COMPLETELY agree!! I play the violin in my school orchestra. Our district is low on money, so it could get cut. I really hope not, though. Amazing article- you're a great writer!

Logan said...

YES. A school somewhat near mine is voting to cut out the arts entirely because of the economy. (Naturally, the sports are going untouched)

This is a good argument. Being a music kid myself, I am of course biased for it.

Heather T. said...
Mar. 1, 2010 at 10:18 am:
This is a really cool way to show the importance of music and how it touches every subject! Awesome!

peace_love_beauty said...
Feb. 3, 2010 at 9:02 am:
I totally agree! I am in my band at school, but the school board refuses to fund it. We must raise all of the money for music, instruments, uniforms, and other assorted expenses for traveling to competitions. It's sad, and I fear that our band will fall and there will be no more band in our school. I wish more people realized the importance of music and finally give us the funding we need to really have a successful band.

HOPEMVP said...
AWSOME

Meagan128595 replied...
Nov. 6, 2009 at 7:24 am :
That was awsome, I am in the band at my school and everything that was said was true, wow.

SallyLou222 said...
Thanks so much for this article! I am doing a research project for my English class on The Importance of Music in Schools, and have been searching for a Magazine article to use as one of my resources. Thanks!