The Importance of Music in Schools | Teen Ink

The Importance of Music in Schools MAG

By Anonymous

     "Music helps the mind develop and grow," my dad often says, and I have found this to be very true. It is a proven fact that participating in a music program in school will help develop your brain to a higher level and faster than other students. Music actually improves communication between the right and left sides of the brain, allowing you to gain better comprehension and memorization skills.

So, why do we need music in our schools? Well, because music is everything.

Music is science. It is exact and demands acoustics. The conductor's score is a graph that contains volume changes, melody and harmony, all the while keeping the group at a constant pace.

Music is math. It is based on the rhythmic subdivisions of time, done in a split second.

Music is history. The music you hear or play is usually an indication of the time and environment in which it was created.

Music is physical education. It requires an immense amount of coordination of fingers, hands, arms, lips, cheeks and facial muscles. Not to mention control of your diaphragm, back, stomach and chest muscles to make sure every note comes out clearly and in pitch.

Music is a foreign language. Its terms are usually in Italian and the music is not in any language known to man. It is its own language and uses symbols to represent ideas.

Music is the universal language that everyone understands and can relate to. Music is what brings everything together. It is something that everyone knows.

Most of all, music is art. It is the greatest form of art that allows a human to take boring notes on a page, and transform them into an emotion and feeling you cannot measure.

Music is just as important as all the classes you are required to take, and it is critical that music classes remain in schools. Not only to provide a place for students to belong, but also something that will help their minds grow and develop like no other class. Music is a very important part of our life, and if we take it away, who knows what the world would be like.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 38 comments.


on Dec. 8 2010 at 10:20 pm
SpringRayyn PLATINUM, Lakeville, Minnesota
34 articles 2 photos 658 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't punish yourself," she heard her say again, but there would be punishment and pain, and there would be happiness too. That was writing."
--Markus Zusak, "The Book Thief"

you totally butchered the spelling of orchestra. That really bugged me, but other than that I agree with this comment lol XD

on Dec. 8 2010 at 7:04 pm
WritingJulia SILVER, Binghamton, New York
6 articles 0 photos 72 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Kind words can be short and easy to say, but their echoes are truly endless." -Mother Theresa

that's what I meant!  my school definately has that issue

Annabella said...
on Dec. 8 2010 at 6:04 pm
Wow!  I totally agree.  I have never heard a guy speak with such passion about the arts. (Dont worry its a good thing) At my school luckily they have a band, chouir ,and orkestra.  I dont know where i would be in life without music.  When i sing i unstand everthing from the music on the page to life in genral.but i dont understand why peole look at me like im crazy when i tell them im in chouirs. Singing is my passion deal with it.  No one seems to get what i mean though.  Im not one of those girls who only sings pop.  I have a great appreation for the classics.  did you know socity was onced judged by their artss.  Not when bugget cuts come its the first thing that goes.  I dont think thats right.   

Annabella said...
on Dec. 8 2010 at 5:52 pm
 yEA they do need to appreshate school but, im talking about the ARTS!!!!

Annabella said...
on Dec. 8 2010 at 5:50 pm
Music is soooo important.  I've been in a chouir since 2end grade and I can't imanige my life without music. and im proud to say y school has a chouir, band , and orkestra

on Nov. 16 2010 at 5:47 pm
WritingJulia SILVER, Binghamton, New York
6 articles 0 photos 72 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Kind words can be short and easy to say, but their echoes are truly endless." -Mother Theresa

Ya people really need to start appreciating music in school!  It is so vital!

on Oct. 4 2010 at 6:36 am
xAllegria BRONZE, Singapore, Other
1 article 2 photos 112 comments

Favorite Quote:
Ça fait tellement du bien d’aimer les gens qu’on aime, que ça finit par faire mal. Je sais pas comment on survit a ça. Non franchement, je sais pas. LOL (laughing out loud) ®, Lola.

I'm sure people would appreciate Music much more if it were taught this way, but unfortunately most of them never get past the art of blowing into a cheap plastic flute because of the crappy music system.

on Sep. 8 2010 at 1:48 am
SassieCassie322 BRONZE, Encino, California
1 article 0 photos 102 comments

i really like the way you wrote this. i think i will show it to my music teacher! i couldn't agree more. i am a cellist and have been playing for 11 years and i don't know what my life would be like if i hadn't begun playing when i was 6 years old.

schools must not get rid of music!!!!


on Jul. 7 2010 at 8:55 pm
whoops, i meant to say job instead of jon. lolz

on Jul. 7 2010 at 8:54 pm
i really like the way you did this. you took subjects that most people agree are important, and showed how music requires the use of them. great jon. :)

Gail/Kevin said...
on Jun. 15 2010 at 8:33 am

I agree with you, music is an essential thing on our lives, unfortunately we don´t have music classes on our school, we have drawing classes though but I would totally prefer to learn music. Music involves everything, in music you combine all other of your classes, like math and grammar.

For example, I am guitarist, but unfortunately my school doesn´t teach you anything about this. I´ve been learning by myself, and I really want to get better at this, and I think I am going to become better learning at my way, but If this school could have some music classes probably me, and a lot of people would do what they enjoy.

Music is not noise; it’s about rhythm, melody, and a lot of coordination. Playing any instrument involves a lot of coordination, and uses your brain a lot more. Maybe if you play the drums you need to coordinate each hand and feet, and if you play the piano you got to coordinate every single finger, so you could use your free time doing something “healthy” for your brain and not only waste it.


on May. 2 2010 at 12:15 pm
krazykathleen BRONZE, Edwardsville, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 99 comments

Favorite Quote:
"7/5 of all people do not understand fractions." -Unknown

I COMPLETELY agree!! I play the violin in my school orchestra. Our district is low on money, so it could get cut. I really hope not, though. Amazing article- you're a great writer!

Logan said...
on Apr. 21 2010 at 12:00 pm

YES. A school somewhat near mine is voting to cut out the arts entirely because of the economy. (Naturally, the sports are going untouched)

This is a good argument. Being a music kid myself, I am of course biased for it.


on Mar. 1 2010 at 10:18 am
Heather Taylor, Mercer, Missouri
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment
This is a really cool way to show the importance of music and how it touches every subject! Awesome!

on Feb. 3 2010 at 9:02 am
peace_love_beauty PLATINUM, Florien, Louisiana
22 articles 35 photos 121 comments

Favorite Quote:
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalms 23:4

I totally agree! I am in my band at school, but the school board refuses to fund it. We must raise all of the money for music, instruments, uniforms, and other assorted expenses for traveling to competitions. It's sad, and I fear that our band will fall and there will be no more band in our school. I wish more people realized the importance of music and finally give us the funding we need to really have a successful band.

on Nov. 6 2009 at 7:24 am
FluteLovinMeagan GOLD, Tampa, Florida
18 articles 11 photos 4 comments
That was awsome, I am in the band at my school and everything that was said was true, wow.

HOPEMVP said...
on Aug. 27 2009 at 1:31 pm
AWSOME

SallyLou222 said...
on Aug. 24 2008 at 9:04 pm
Thanks so much for this article! I am doing a research project for my English class on The Importance of Music in Schools, and have been searching for a Magazine article to use as one of my resources. Thanks!