The Importance of Music in Schools This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

"Music helps the mind develop and grow," my dad often says, and I have found this to be very true. It is a proven fact that participating in a music program in school will help develop your brain to a higher level and faster than other students. Music actually improves communication between the right and left sides of the brain, allowing you to gain better comprehension and memorization skills.

So, why do we need music in our schools? Well, because music is everything.

Music is science. It is exact and demands acoustics. The conductor's score is a graph that contains volume changes, melody and harmony, all the while keeping the group at a constant pace.

Music is math. It is based on the rhythmic subdivisions of time, done in a split second.

Music is history. The music you hear or play is usually an indication of the time and environment in which it was created.

Music is physical education. It requires an immense amount of coordination of fingers, hands, arms, lips, cheeks and facial muscles. Not to mention control of your diaphragm, back, stomach and chest muscles to make sure every note comes out clearly and in pitch.

Music is a foreign language. Its terms are usually in Italian and the music is not in any language known to man. It is its own language and uses symbols to represent ideas.

Music is the universal language that everyone understands and can relate to. Music is what brings everything together. It is something that everyone knows.

Most of all, music is art. It is the greatest form of art that allows a human to take boring notes on a page, and transform them into an emotion and feeling you cannot measure.

Music is just as important as all the classes you are required to take, and it is critical that music classes remain in schools. Not only to provide a place for students to belong, but also something that will help their minds grow and develop like no other class. Music is a very important part of our life, and if we take it away, who knows what the world would be like.

sinner demon said...
May 1, 2013 at 3:50 pm:
this is like wow

Hoobaa said...
It is the best essay on music I have ever had

OrangeClementine said...
Mar. 14, 2012 at 6:49 pm:

I really enjoyed reading your work, especially considering my passion for music and my support for further developments in the music program in schools. I was somewhat surprised, however, to find that this article contained the same points and almost exactly the same wording as this image that has been circulating around Facebook recently.

http://api.ning.com/files/EkfpzJQeKDlzY23DsgAgi7XHsDe0RL7igGEJ*8pXyT0hNJ9K*RSOCSW5clAhTuitHRG6RiqFnXiBbIO3*vc9O1QK6Cpvy7-V/WhyTeachMusic.jpg

... (more »)

Breece6This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 14, 2012 at 6:06 am:
Thank you for this!  This describes music perfectly!

vinay virmani said...
Dec. 7, 2011 at 7:19 am:
it is amazing and true that music is the most important

Pumpkinscout said...
Great article! Your point is excellent as well. Music is very important.

compelledviolinist8 said...
Mar. 6, 2011 at 12:26 am:
I could not have said this better myslef! this is amazing! great job! i agree with u 100%

fireball said...
Feb. 12, 2011 at 4:41 pm:
I agree, but only if you have a passion for music.But i personally find music a bore, why would we need to learn more if you already understand?Exquisite writing and opinions, but 8/10 students find music to unimportant unless they want to get involved in that sector of business.

jemter This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dec. 30, 2010 at 3:26 am:
i agree compleatly. i am going to be the only one representing my class when i enter highschool because the kids in my class have been driven so far away from band. I play clarinet, tennor sax, piano, and am in a extreamly legit choir, that, i might add, recently was invited to greece, new york, and wales. my choir isn't through school, but i wish my fellow band members wern't tempted out. music is life- it makes news, gains popularity, develops carears, inspieres and touches hearts ... (more »)

nida cullen replied...
Jun. 2, 2011 at 4:24 pm :
that amazing....... you are probaly very talented. Hope u follow your dreams to the fullest...!!!!!!!!!! :)

SpringRayynThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Well I never really thought of music as MATH, but the foreign language part I like. I guess that means I'm better at math than I thought lol. C: But really, when you said no man on earth knows the language and then later said everyone can understand and relate to music, it was a little confusing. I mean, really that doesn't make sense and at the same time it does, get it? Yeah I can't remember what else I was going to say...

Annabella said...
Wow!  I totally agree.  I have never heard a guy speak with such passion about the arts. (Dont worry its a good thing) At my school luckily they have a band, chouir ,and orkestra.  I dont know where i would be in life without music.  When i sing i unstand everthing from the music on the page to life in genral.but i dont understand why peole look at me like im crazy when i tell them im in chouirs. Singing is my passion deal with it.  No one seems to get wha... (more »)

SpringRayynThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Dec. 8, 2010 at 10:20 pm :
you totally butchered the spelling of orchestra. That really bugged me, but other than that I agree with this comment lol XD

Annabella said...
Music is soooo important.  I've been in a chouir since 2end grade and I can't imanige my life without music. and im proud to say y school has a chouir, band , and orkestra

WritingJulia This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Ya people really need to start appreciating music in school!  It is so vital!

Annabella replied...
Dec. 8, 2010 at 5:52 pm :
 yEA they do need to appreshate school but, im talking about the ARTS!!!!

WritingJulia This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Dec. 8, 2010 at 7:04 pm :
that's what I meant!  my school definately has that issue

xAllegria said...
Oct. 4, 2010 at 6:36 am:
I'm sure people would appreciate Music much more if it were taught this way, but unfortunately most of them never get past the art of blowing into a cheap plastic flute because of the crappy music system.

SassieCassie322 said...
Sept. 8, 2010 at 1:48 am:

i really like the way you wrote this. i think i will show it to my music teacher! i couldn't agree more. i am a cellist and have been playing for 11 years and i don't know what my life would be like if i hadn't begun playing when i was 6 years old.

schools must not get rid of music!!!!

rightbehindyou61 said...
Jul. 7, 2010 at 8:54 pm:
i really like the way you did this. you took subjects that most people agree are important, and showed how music requires the use of them. great jon. :)