Intolerant Christians This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The average person who reads this article will probably decide that I am an intolerant and insensitive cockroach, and so to that person, I offer these kind words of advice: Deal with it. As an American Christian, I’m sick and tired of repeatedly being told that I must appreciate everything but the values I hold dear because to do otherwise would make me intolerant. By tolerant, society means that I’m not only supposed to accept the beliefs of others, but also supposed to put them above my own. This is not what the word “tolerate” means.

The dictionary defines tolerance as “a sympathy or indulgence for beliefs or practices differing from or conflicting with one’s own,” not “the acceptance and personal belief in the practices of others.” So technically I’m a rather tolerant individual, but by today’s standards, I’m politically incorrect. I’m racist and a hateful, miserable excuse for a human being and I’d do more good as a sheet of pond scum, et cetera. If you’re an evangelical Christian, then you know the drill and are empathizing with me.

Let me begin with the subject of Christmas. Why is it that public nativity scenes are so berated? If a student were to give out Christmas cards picturing the baby Jesus, rest assured complaints would arise. Who cares that Christmas is the most widely celebrated December holiday in the United States? We have to silence our beliefs in order to make people of other religions (or lack thereof) happy.

If I draw a Christmas tree on the school chalkboard, I must either erase it or draw something to symbolize each of the other religious beliefs. Yet, if someone draws the Star of David, that’s how it stays - alone. I have observed this. It’s a small-scale representation of a larger problem.

Then there’s the uproar over the Ten Commandments monument. Most of you have probably heard the story of its elimination from the Alabama Supreme Court building, where Justice Roy Moore was forced to remove a large stone tablet engraved with the Commandments because it was seen as a “government endorsement of religion.” Allow me to share a brief history lesson: This country was founded on Christian principles. The Ten Commandments are part of that Christian belief, but they don’t even specifically advertise one religion over another, and if you’re an atheist, well, tough. If you lose respect for the way in which your country was born, then your respect for your country will wane as well. This is not a good thing for America.

So, bottom line: stop treating Christians like we’re offensive. Or, instead of whining, feel free to exercise your right to leave, because frankly, I find it offensive that you want to kick my Father out of society.

soccer_star4GOD said...
Girl I am totally agreeing with you! Because of the mistakes of other so-called "Christians", we have been given the title of "intolerent". For example: There was a Florida pastor who wanted to burn Korans to protest of the building of the mosque in NY. No, I do not believe in what the Koran teaches and I would prefer that they didn't build a mosque right near the location of ground zero, however, there are better ways of handling certain situations. As Christians, we need to show the ... (more »)

Silevryn said...

I have no problem with christians, let me make that clear. You dont push your beliefes onto me, and i wont do the same. sounds easy, right? but no, its not. People walk up to me and tell me im gonig to hell for wearing a shirt with a celtic knotwork tree on it. For celebrating holidays of every religion--christian ones included--but im damned for eternity anyway. I remember studying the salem wich hunts and the executions and having my classmates turn and look at me and tell me "Well I'm sure... (more »)

fire_ice4ever This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
I agree I have no problems with Christians but our country was founded on RELIGIOUS FREEDOM. There are two sides to every story, I being an agnostic believe in god but don't believe in a specific religion so I can see both side with a relative clarity, I've seen the type of religious intolerance many people receive. In Texas a school district wanted to remove Cesar Chavez from history books saying "he shouldn't be put next to founding fathers like Ben Franklin." little did many of them realize B... (more »)

Dr_lola_cola said...
hey. yes i think that many shudn't be as intelorable about christianity, but this article is not helping a christian's case.  Christians speak and act with love, not with a bashing letter. I'm trying to say this without sounding rude, but if you really want people to understand christianity, you can't do it this way.

kindyxkandy said...
I don't know if you realize or not, that this is a rather ignorant point of view. Every religious group is harassed in some way, not just christians. I'm wiccan, and I -constantly- get it berated into me that I'm evil and worshipping the devil, which I very much am not. Have you ever considered, that maybe, just maybe, people don't -want- to see Jesus or God or whatever at every turn? Okay, maybe you do, good for you for being proud of your religion, but if someone gave me... (more »)

Silevryn replied...
thank you.

BookWorm579 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 23, 2009 at 3:51 am
Now, I'm not calling you an intolerant Christian (I am Christian) but remember, our country was founded not only on Christian beliefs, but Jewish, Greek, and Roman ideas. The framers of the Declaration of Independence, though Christian never specified a single religion. Like here they write, "We hold these truths to be self-evident...that they are endowed by their Creator with certain and unalienable rights." There are a lot of religions with a "Creator" figure and that's what the found... (more »)