Who is | Teen Ink

Who is

By Angel Pooran BRONZE, Queens, New York
Angel Pooran BRONZE, Queens, New York

No one you meet in school is actually your friend until you’ve gotten to know them outside of school. I've come to this conclusion In realizing that I am nothing like what I am or how I’m perceived to be in school. I act differently at home and differently at school because in those places I have standards to be upheld. When I am completely on my own is when I am able to see the person I truly am because then will I be able to do things to my pleasure and not to the expectations of people around me. If love is really real then it would be the ability of a person to be very accepting of the way I behave when on my own and for me to have enough trust in them to be comfortable with them getting to see that side of me; the true side. The term act is used to tell about something behaving in a way that is false to their natural belief or way of living. False may be a harsh term to describe it but if you aren’t a goofy person naturally or by choice and just aren’t goofy and to act goofy is to go behind that buried self-belief. So the person we are in school or in a social setting  is a way we choose to live in order to “survive” or at least be best comforted, in which we conform to social standards or expectations. Its essentially all an act and proves that in those moments we are not ourselves. As silly as the expression “be yourself” may seem nowadays I feel it's so stressed because people aren’t gasping onto the concept of what your real self is and what isn’t. we let our problems in social settings determine who we are but in terms of your actual being, those are all invalid and don’t clearly reflect your true character.