Year-Round School This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Summer break is awesome, but after a couple months, it’s always time for school again. You walk into trigonometry that first day and hear, “Pop quiz! Let’s see what you know.” Then you realize that over the summer you have forgotten everything from the previous year. Why should we have to relearn material because of a long summer break? This is why we should have school year-round.

One argument against this idea is that you wouldn’t get to take long trips. True, you might not get to take one for more than three weeks, but who does? Usually a vacation is a week or so. If you were really looking forward to that long trip, why not take three (of even four) short trips, one during each break? You would see more places that way.

Now, I know some of you think this isn’t going to make school any better, but Elisabeth Palmer, project director at the Center for Applied Research (author of Year-Round Education) said, “The net results indicated that after one year of experiencing a 60-15 calendar [60 days of school and 15 of vacation], students felt more positively about year-round education.” She also said her studies indicate that “53 percent favored year-round education during the summer before implementation, while 79 percent favored it at the end of the first year.”

Another possible argument against year-round school is that students would have fewer days of learning because just when they would be getting into things, a break would come. I can see this point because we would be having one right in the middle of our current school schedule. But the actual learning time would increase. After breaks, the students would be refreshed and ready to listen better. Also, students won’t have to relearn what they forget over the summer since they would only be out of school for three weeks at a time. When they return after these short breaks, they would be ready to pick up where they left off.

Donald Beggs, an assistant professor at Southern Illinois University, researched summer learning and “confirmed statistically what every teacher knew intuitively. This is that basic skills must be reviewed for as long as one month each September before the teacher moved onto new curricular ground.” John Theodore Stenvall, Ph.D. has studied numerous year-round schools and came to this conclusion: “The first year of longitudinal study, 2000, showed that there was greater progress in schools with certain year-round calendars than in those on traditional calendars.” He also said, “Schools on balanced calendars (single track) outperformed gains recorded for traditional calendar schools at all levels.”

I feel that year-round schooling would benefit students. I think that with it you could actually have more vacations. Also, students would learn more because they wouldn’t have to relearn information after long breaks.

PTsaxplayer said...
I happen to agree with his point. If you look at other countries compared to ours intellectually they are starting to become much more superior and part of that is because the students are pushed from the time they go into school until the time they come out and they don't get summer breaks. The problem with our generation is that we have become so heavily dependent of the internet that we are lowering out iqs in the process. Albert Einstein even said, “I fear the day technology will surpass ... (more »)
Meun J. replied...
yes albert einstein is my model
Ariana_Warf said...
thank you Chance. i had to do a report. you have helped so much!
riffikey said...
Dec. 11, 2014 at 12:02 am
I think the biggest problem with year round school is that althought the breaks would be more frequent, they would be shorter and I need the full two monthes to slip into a small coma and recover from all the lost sleep that  has built up throughout the year. There are other things they could be focusing on like starting the school day later (because teenagers need a certain amount of sleep and without this it stunts our developing minds as well as triggers things such as anxiety and depres... (more »)
Directioner_5sauce said...
      I believe that kids minds need time to process what they learned over the summer. We may have smaller breaks still but kids would still get exhausted and just not really care anymore. I like to visit my Grandpa in Florida for the whole summer break so I naturally don't like year round schooling. Budgets are tight enough! The school won't be able to pay for resources. The summer break lets me set goals for myself and I process what I learn. Kids can relearn what they ... (more »)
The Engineer said...
    In my opinion, year round school is just a time bomb waiting to go off. The major problems with year round school are strain on the economy, energy resources, and us children.     We are already in a economic deficit, and year-round school is a LOT more expensive than normal school. Year round school will not be more effective if teacher quality goes down as a result of more expensive year-round contracts. Schools are already running with run of the mill equipment, horr... (more »)
May 1, 2014 at 11:39 am
i really like this. were doing an argument for school and im going to use this! thanks
Jolene88 said...
  I am a junior in a Florida High school. My school switched from a traditional calendar to a year round calendar last year. At first, I was very upset about this switch as I did not want to give up my summer breaks. I must say, my opinion of a year round school system has changed. I love the shorter more frequent breaks.  Also, I am doing so much better in school! I use to struggle often in class and felt I did not have enough time to learn material. I am proud to say I went from a ... (more »)
ihave$wagg replied...
first of all that good job for improving second you probably were fooling around in school that's why you get bad grades 
bluejay2000 said...
yr schooling is okay but not the best because there is no life out of this
mikerox said...
Jan. 25, 2012 at 10:01 am
what do you call obamas butt? the dark side of the moon!! haha
ipfreely replied...
hahaha. i get it
cameronrox said...
Jan. 25, 2012 at 9:51 am
kids will not forget what they learned if we have no summer vacation so they will get a better education. more kids will participate in activities to waste bordem.
Jimie Johnson replied...
Who cares what we forget during summer break?
Pumpkinscout said...
Hmm interesting point. This is something I had never considered before personally...maybe if this was the case, then we could have fewer hours a day of school and kids could get more sleep. Sleep is very important and teenagers especially need it.
BeatleMania16 said...

i completely understand your viewpoint, but i can point out two possible obstacles for the implementation of year-round school calendars, at least in america.

first, money. i'm not saying that year-round calendars dont' deserve the proper funding, but we already have a lot of trouble funding, teachers, janitors, building maitenance, and not to mention air conditioning/heating/electricty/water! new legislation would have to be passed at the very least possibly a raise in taxes.

t... (more »)

love school replied...
Jan. 30, 2014 at 11:38 am
hi i diss agreee
N3W_$HiZZN!T said...
Apr. 29, 2011 at 10:26 am
noo way there will be year round school beacuse tht would be usless alot of people only like school cuz they get 2 hang with friendz
MetallixRose said...
Feb. 13, 2011 at 1:56 am
I will never, ever go to a year round school. Kids hate that sort of stuff, and so do I. you might want to leanr math for seven hours a day, but I don't. I enjoy my down time during the summer, and students do relearn what they've forgotten. It's not the end of the world just becasue some kids forgot how to add fractions.
Blizzarrd replied...
Jun. 2, 2011 at 9:48 am

Year round school is a NO.

Researchers have found its dumb

yooo eat ribs replied...
Oct. 18, 2011 at 10:03 am
make sure ur not the reseacher !