Special Operations: Shade | Teen Ink

Special Operations: Shade

By AlpsPuppy BRONZE, boise, Idaho
AlpsPuppy BRONZE, Boise, Idaho

life sucks, the quicker you learn this the better off you will be

i know there is spelling and grammar mistakes. I am just looking for comments and advice on the content. Thanks.

The sun beats down upon us as I slowly move along the wall. I look back towards my team and then towards our destination. I hold up my hand indicating my team to hold their position. We hold our breath as a dark shadow slowly moves towards us. I hold my weapon closer to my chest as i prepare to fire. As the dark shadow got closer the only thought that goes through my head is the saftey of my team. Just as the shadow reaches the corner where I stand the shadow stops then turns around heading back the other direction. I took this chance and flung my weapon on its strap around to my back as I swiftly move around the corner grabbing my target covering his mouth and nose to keep him quiet.
I drag him back slowly around the corner. I drop the tall dark skinned man onto the ground and hit him with the butt of my gun rendering him unconciouse. We carried him back to the base and left him with the guards at the holding cells. I head back to my quarters doing my best to avoid contact with my fellow marines. I am getting tired of spending year after year in this damn deserted desert. It is enough to drive a man insane. I know I am not going crazy just continuisly wondering when this war will end. I sigh as I entrer my quarters and lay down on my bed staring up at the canopy roof.
Being a corpral does come with it’s advantages, like my own quarters for example. I sigh and stand up knowing that the day isn’t over. I grab my gun and walk out of the door and head towards the holding cells. As I walk I begijn to notice the differences between the soldiers who have just arrived and thoes who have spent time here. “poor bastards” I mumble to myself. “What about these poor bastards?” comes a voice close behind me. I quickly turn around placing my hand on the butt end of my pistol. “woah! Easy there jer I don’t feel like being shot today.” Kyle said. I sigh and move my hand off my pistol. I look Kyle in his green eyes and step back a little.
Kyle was the very definition of a marine, standing an even six foot and built like a brick s*** house with an itchy trigger finger. Kyle was someone you definitely would not want to meet in a dark ally. “I am glad he’s my friend” I thought to myself. “How many times have I told you Kyle? It’s Corporal in front of the other troops” “Sorry Corporal. The prisoner is awake just thought you would like to know.” I sigh; this is the part of the job that always got to me. I stare up at the blue sky as the sun beats down warming my face. “Alright, let’s get this over with.” I sigh. Kyle and I walk side by side across the hot sand towards the holding cells. As we approached the holding cells we both greet the two marines standing guard. “Morning Corporal.” Bill said. “Morning’ Bill.” I waste no time and walk past the two guards and head inside. I sit at one end of the cold steel table.
Kyle walked into the other room and dragged out the prisoner and slams him down into the chair opposite me. “So you decided you won’t talk then?” I asked him. The prisoner, a dark skinned Arabic named Allai turned towards me and spit at me. This action must have really got to Kyle because he quickly stood up raising his fist and hit Allai across the face sending blood drips across the freshly polished steel table. “Kyle that’s enough! He can’t really answer my questions with a broken jaw now can he?” I was yelling. Kyle grumbled and sat back down. To be completely honest I felt sorry for Allai, getting hit by Kyle probably felt like getting hit by a freight train. “So, Allai, we only have one simple question for you. Answer it and we won’t kill you.” I was well trained in interrogation so I made sure to keep eye contact with Allai. Eventually Allai broke eye contact. Allai grimaced and said “I can’t tell you where they are but I can lead you to them.” I smiled softly and nodded. “Alright Allai, get some rest we head out tonight.” Allai grimaced again and was lead back to his cell. I sighed, “Kyle, how are we going to deal with this? We don’t know where we are going, how far it is, or the way out of the building.” Kyle laughed a homey sounding laugh and just said, “I guess that’s why they call us Recon now isn’t it corporal?” I smiled and leaned back stretching “well go get some rest and round up the rest of the troops around twenty-one hundred.”
Kyle just nodded and headed out of the room. I sat there staring at the blood splattered across the silver surface. The next thing I knew I was being shaken awake by one of the guards. “Corporal Sir, wouldn’t you be more comfortable back in your quarters?” I nodded. “What time is it?” The guard answered softly “it’s about 19:10 sir.” I groaned 2 hours I slept here, what the hell even happened? I thanked the guard and headed back to my quarters. Instead of sleeping I just went through my work-out routine. It always seemed to calm me when I did something simple and routine. After an hour of my work-out I started my weapons check, nothing worse than being in live combat and having your weapon jam. I checked my pistol and my rifle before taking apart and reassembling my old sniper rifle. Thoes were the days, I sighed, aim and shoot no questions asked. Now that I am corpral of an elite squad of recon marines there is so much politics that I have to put up with. I check my watch then grab my pack and rifle and towards the head out towards the humvee. I lean against the drivers door of the humvee and count off as each of the troops arived. There were ten of us counting myself. Kyle, my second in command, came up last dragging the prisioner Allai at his side.
As Kyle reached the humvee he tossed Allai inside and took his place next to me. “Alright everyone. I won’t sugar coat this for you. We have no idea what we are heading into so we will need to be prepared fo anything. I am not saying we will make it out in one piece if we make it out at all. So if you want to back down now I will understand and there will be no consequences.” I took the time to look at each and everyone of my troops. I smiled a little when they all said in unision, “NO SIR! We will follow you anywhere. OORAH!” I responded with my own oorah. As we all climed into the humvee I got them all psyched up by shouting “Who are we?” The rest replied “Devil dogs!” I grinned and said “I can’t hear you” “devil dogs” came the shouted response. I laughed and said “well it doesn’t sound like it, sounds like im surrounded by a bunch of hell pups.” My troops growled and yelled “we are devil dogs” I smiled and said “that’s more like it.”
I smiled more and started the humvee as I asked Allai which direction we needed to head. Allai pointed left and I followed his directions. About an hour and a half into the drive Kyle asked “do you think hes messing with us?” I shook my head. “do you think hes lost? I don’t see how any of them can remember where they are going. It’s just like going down the road and asking which sand dune to turn at.” I had to laugh at this. Just then Allai said stop and pointed towards a house just over the hill. “There.” Allai said. I nodded and stopped the Humvee before stepping out and quickly walking to the front. I sat down on the hood; I never liked what happened next. I sat staring up at the sky as I heard Allai begging for his life. I winced as I heard the quiet sound of the silenced round being fired.
As the rest of the troops formed a semi-circle around me I was already formulating a plan of attack. As soon as I was prepared to explain the plan to them the first rounds hit. We all hit the ground as a barrage of bullets rained down around us kicking up sand every time they hit. “What’s going on?” shouted Kyle. “It’s an ambush.” I responded as the bullets slowed down. “We were set up.” I stood up rifle in hand as the rest of my troops followed my lead. Bullets flew in both directions as cry’s filled the air as both sides lost men. I watched as my men died around me. Everything seemed to be moving in slow motion. I could feel my heart beating and hear the sound of each haggard breath I took. My vision was sharper my reactions quicker, I knew every second counted. I looked up from the ground where my men lay strewn about blood staining the cold sand.
As I looked up towards the enemy’s line I saw one of them level their rifle at Kyle. I quickly sprung into action running full speed towards Kyle screaming “get down!” Just as I reached him I heard the shot. I lunged towards him pushing him out of the way. I felt the pain of the bullet rip through my chest. Pure white hot pain followed by a splash of cold realization. I was going to die. I hit the ground hard as the blood quickly pooled around me. I looked up searching for Kyle but I couldn’t see anything. Everything was going dark. I sat bolt upright covered in sweat. “Jerome what’s wrong?”
I looked over and smiled softly as I saw Jasmine lying next to me. Her beautiful face was covered with concern and her beautiful hazel eyes showed nothing but pure love. She held me close as I whispered “of course love, it was just the nightmares again.” She sighed softly and whispered “I love you Jer. Is there anything I can do to help?” I smiled and kissed her “everything will be ok Jas I promise.” She cuddled up closer to me and layers her head on my chest as she fell back asleep. I could still feel the searing pain of that bullet even though I was awake. I still can’t get over what happened that night. I looked over at the clock. “S***.” It was four thirty already? I gently slid out from under Jasmine and kissed her forehead before heading off towards the shower. As I was in the shower I couldn’t help but think back to that night. All of my men died right there infront of me, the only two who surived was me and Kyle. I was even more disgusted by the fact they bestowed me with the medal of honor when it was my fault that the men were lead there in the first place.
I groaned and turned off the water and stepped out of the shower. I got dressed and headed downstairs to make coffee and breakfast. It was one of thoes days I was lucky enough to be up before Jasmine. I enjoyed letting her sleep in, so today I decided to try to be extra quiet and make breakfast and get the kids up for school. Once breakfast was finished and set on the table I tip toed up the stairs and quietly knocked on my sons door. The door was opened immidiatly by a funny dressed five year old with camo boots who said “ commander Josh Kryger reporting for duty sir.” I couldn’t help but smile. My son Josh always seemed to fancy the fact that I am a marine. He always dressed up in some sort of camo whether it be his boots or a camo hat. He was even up on time everyday and always behaved, which is more than I can say for my fourteen year old daughter Lauri.
She was amazingly beautiful just like her mother but she had the most stubborn attitude just like me. If she doesn’t want to do something she won’t and trying to change her mind is easier than surviving World War Three. I knocked on her door, “Lauri get up. If you are not downstairs, quietly, in ten minuets I am going to drag your but out of bed and you will go to school in your pjs.” I smiled to myself and noticed that Josh was smiling to. He always thought it was funny how his sister Lauri was never up on time. As we were walking down the stairs Josh said “She wouldn’t make a very good soldier would she dad?” I hid a laugh and said “you never know Josh she might surprise us.”
Josh shook his head “I still don’t think so dad.” Josh and I sat down at the table. As soon as I went to get a cup of coffee the regular discussion took place. “Dad can I have a cup of coffee?” I smiled at him, “I already told you Josh when you are tall enough to get a cup you can have one.” Josh never seemed to like this outcome but he usually just made a snorting sound and gave up, but today he surprised me. After I got my cup of coffee and sat down Josh grabbed a cup off of the table and dragged his chair over to the counter. Once there he stood up on the chair and set the cup down and proceded to pour himself a cup of coffee. With a little effort he manged to make it back to the table cup, chair and all.
I laughed and waited to see his reaction to the coffee. After his first sip I could see Josh’s face pucker but like a true little soldier he toughed it out and continued to drink. I laughed and looked at my watch, shes got 4 minuets I thought to myself. Josh and I continued to eat breakfast in silence as we both counted down to zero on Lauri’s time limit. Just as Josh said zero Lauri came around the corner with a frown on her face. “Dad, you know that’s not fair. School doesn’t even start until seven and you are going to drop us off at six.” I sighed, “Lauri, your going to school early today so we can give your mother a day off. She has always been up to make you breakfast and drop you off at school at exactly six fifty, and that’s not counting all of the things your mother has to do all day. She barley gets any sleep, so the least you can do is go to school an hour early so your mother can get a few more hours of sleep.”
Lauri looked at me like I just lit her on fire. “Wow Dad, I didn’t mean to upset you that much I was just wondering why we were going so early.” I smiled at Lauri softly and appologized. Me and Josh headed out to get the car ready while Lauri finished her breakfast. When Lauri finnaly made it to the car Josh and I were lost in a deep conversation about the rankings and responsibilities of all the positions in the marines.
Lauri made a disgusted sound as she threw her bag across the backseat and buckled up. She didn’t like listening to me and Josh discuss military. I drove to Lauri’s school and parked. I had to walk her in since it was so early. We walked up to the schools main doors and waited. The principle came and opened the door. “Jermeh! How are you? It has been a while since I have talked to you.” I shook his hand, “I am good Arthur. Its nice to see you to. It has been a while since I have dropped Lauri off at school.” Lauri pushed by both me and Arthur into the school and headed to the cafeteria where she would have to spend an hour waiting for school to start. “So corpral, what have you been up to?”
I scowled at Arthur. He knew I didn’t like being called corpral when it wasn’t necessary. “Arthur, you know how I feel about that.” He appologized and then smiled, “So, I have a proposition for you my dear friend.” I looked at him, “and whats that?” Arthur smile grew as he motioned for me and Josh to follow him. Once we reached his office Arthur turned around and asked “Do you want to raise the schools flag this morning?” I thought about it for a moment then said, “I don’t think so Arthur, but maybe Josh here would like to.” I smiled and Arthur looked down at Josh who was beaming from ear to ear. “So how about it little buddy? Would you like to raise the flag this morning?”
Josh started jumping up and down “can I dad can i? pleaseeeeeee.” I laughed and said “Of course Josh but you know the rules when it comes to the flag right?” Josh noded and said in a rush “Of course dad, one don’t let the flag touch the ground, two raise the flag slowly keeping it up off the ground, and finnaly make sure that there was no important deaths within the military or government that requires the flag to be at half or quarter mast.” I grineed proud of him, “Well done Josh.” I hugged him then watched as Arthur handed him the heavy flag. Josh, even though the flag was twice his size and probably weighed about the same as him, still slowly and carefully walked towards the flag pole.
All the students that were there early watched in confusion as a five year old carried the flag. It took him about five minuets but Josh, stumbeling and trudging along, made it to the flag pole. He carefully hooked it up and held it tightly. He turned to Arthur, “Has there been any governmental deaths or military deaths that require the flag to be at half mast?” Arthur shook his head smiling as Josh turned and started pulling on the wire that lifted the flag higher and higher.
It was extremly difficult for him so Josh had to carefully sit down and set the flag down on his lap, making sure not one part touched the ground, so that he could use both hands to pull the flag up. Once it was high enough that the flag was off the ground without Josh supporting it he continued to pull and pull until the flag was at the top. Once there, Josh smiled triumphantly. He turned to me and stood next to me and put his little hand to his forhead saluting our nation’s flag. I smiled and followed his lead. I smiled and picked up Josh and carried him towards the car as he laughed and complained “I am a soldier dad I can walk by myself.”
I refused to put him down and he kept giggiling. I set him back in his booster seat in the back and buckled him up. Today I was going to surprise Josh by taking him to work with me. He has only been to my work maybe once or twice but he really enjoyed it. I kept him distracted by quizing him on military questions until I pulled into the parking lot and parked the car close to the door. Once I got out and helped him out of the car he finnally noticed where we were. His face lit up like any childs would on christmas morning. He raced me inside, everyone inside greeted him with a warm welcome, using the title the gave him. “hey there little corpral how are you?” Josh beamed up at all of them and saluted them “Im doing fine sir. How are you?”
The all laughed. I smiled and walked behind Josh. “Morning Corpral.” Robert said. I noded and watched as they all kept Josh entertained. I sat at my desk and started the paper work that was lying there. Apparently there was three new possible recruits that I had to interview today not counting walk-ins. I called the first one in as Josh took his seat next to me. “Alright,” I paused to look at the paper work, “Jake. Why do you want to join the marines?” “To serve my country” Jake replied. Josh seemed to approve of Jake which I thought was a pretty good sign. Josh was very picky about the people we let become marines. He always threw a fit when we didn’t ask him for his opinion. Jake kept looking back from me to Josh. “Oh, sorry Jake this is my son Josh.” Jake laughed “He looks like a miniture marine.” I stared at Jake, “Jake be careful what you say. Josh here is as good as any marine out there.”
Jake gave me a sly look “I really doubt that sir.” I laughed. “Alright Jake I will make you a deal. If you can out do Josh in a fitness test then I will bump you up to the next part of the process, but if you can’t you wont be able to move forward unles Josh approves of you.” Jake nodded. “I will take that bet.’ I laughed. “So first Jake I want you to do as many pull ups as you can in 1 minuet.” Jake walked over to the pull-up bar and waited for my mark. “Go.” Jake started doing pull-ups as I watched the him and the clock. “Alright Jake time is up. You succeded in doing 24 pull-ups in one minuet, very impressive. Next is sit-ups.” Jake got down on the mat as I stood on his feet to keep him from moving.
As soon as I gave him the go ahead he started. I watched him keeping count as did Josh. As soon as the minuet marker went by I told Jake to stop. “Good, you completed seventy-one sit-ups in one minuet. Final one is the push-ups.” Jake moved into form for the push ups and began when I gave him the go ahead. A minuet later he stood up and walked back to his chair. “Not bad Jake. In one minuet each you did, twenty four pull-ups, seventy one sit-ups, and fifty-three push-ups. Now it is Josh’s turn.” I timed Josh as he went through the same three work-out positions as Jake did. As soon as Josh finished his push-ups I turned to look at Jake who seemed to not understand what just happened. “Well jake, you had impressive numbers but Josh completed thirty-three pull-ups, ninty-three sit-ups, and sixty-two push ups. Seems that this miniture marine bested you.”

Jake shook his head and looked at Josh. “I am sorry mini-marine. I didn’t mean to insult you.” Josh puffed out his chest and said, “My name is not mini-marine its little corpral.” Jake noded. “So little corpral, do you think I am good enough to be come a marine?” Josh stood up and walked around looking at Jake, then headed back to his seat. By this time everyone in the office was watching Josh. For a good four minuets Josh sat there looking back between me and Jake. Josh then stood up and motioned for both me and Jake to follow him. I smiled and followd as Josh requested. Once we walked completely to the other side of the office Josh made me stand with my back against the wall and positioned Jake directly infront of me but about five feet away.
Finnally Josh spoke, and everyone in the office listened intentively. “ Well Jake I want to say a few things. One if you want to see what a real marine looks like, just look infront of you. The man standing before you is one of the greatest marines I know. Well trained, well fit, and he is everything that a marine needs to be.” He walked past Jake and then turned to face him. “Now if I may direct your attention to your left.” Josh watched as Jake turned to face himself in the mirror on the wall. “The man you now see standing infront of you is a want to be marine. He may be fit, he may be strong, but he lacks the morals and the respect to be a true marine. Both these things you would learn through boot camp but they are both also something I strongly think you should know before you get there.” Josh paused to take a breath, “because if you don’t then you will just end up getting your butt kicked here today and everyone will understand why you got your butt handed to you today by a five year old.”
Josh puffed out his chest again and walked back to his chair and sat down dramatically. It was quiet for a minuet or two then the entire office broke out laughing. Josh couldn’t help but smile, he pleased the entire office of the marines who he idolized. “So Josh,” I asked “would that be an approval or no?” Josh noded “that would be an approval dad, but I don’t know if he will surivive if he doesn’t learn some respect.” I hid a smirk and turned to Jake. “Well there’s your anwser Jake. Come back tommarow and we will set you up on your next step.” Jake stood up and held out his hand to me “Thank you corpral sir”
I shook his hand. Jake then turned and held out his hand to Josh “And thank you little corpral sir. I promise I will do my best to learn some more respect.” Josh smiled and shook Jakes hand. Nearing the end of the day Josh was getting tired and ended up falling asleep on the couch. I smiled and picked him up and said goodnight to the rest of the marines in the office. I carefully placed Josh in his booster seat and drove home. By the time we got home though Josh was fully awake and appologizing for falling asleep on duty. I was smiling as we walked through the door. As soon as we entered through the door Jasmine smiled at us from the living room. “Welcome home my little soldiers. How was your day?”

Josh giggled as he ran up to his mom and jumped onto the couch next to her. “I got to interview a recruit.” Jasmine tried to keep a straight face as she asked “How did the interview go?” Josh puffed out his chest like he always did when he was trying to be seriouse. “I showed him how to do push-ups and other work-out routines, and I also told him what he would have to do to be allowed to join the marines.” Jasmine couldn’t help but laugh at this. She wrapped up Josh in a hug as her laughter rang out. I smiled and walked into the living room and sat down next to Jasmine. “How was your day love?” Jasmine smiled and moved closer to me as she said “It was fantastic Jer. Thank you for letting me sleep in.”
I laughed and kissed her forhead and stood up. “The days not over yet love, what do you want for dinner? My treat.” She laughed, “Surprise me Jer.” I slowly started towards the kitchen as I watched Josh and Jasmine wrestle around on the couch. Apparently Josh was trying to subdue an enemy. I started working on dinner as I listened to the laughter from the other room. While dinnr was cooking I sat at the table and started working on the new recruits files. I sighed heavily as I think back about how my war experience was. These poor men have no idea what they will be getting into, they have some fascinating dream of how war is supposed to be. Just then Jasmine walks into the kitchen and warps her arms around me. “Whats wrong Jer?”
I forced a smile and shook my head. “Nothings wrong love.” She laughs softly, “Jer, I know you to well. I can tell when something is bothering you.” I couldn’t help but laugh, “You are so intuitive love, its just work.” She hugs me tighter and pushes the files away from me before sitting in my lap. “Jer, why don’t you quit?” I held her close smelling her sweet perfume. “Jas, you know I can’t we need the income.” She cuddled into my chest, “I know Jer, but can’t you find a different job? Working at the recruiting office keeps thoes memories alive.” She gently runs her hand across my chest. “I just want you to be happy Jer. Any job would be better than the this one. I will even get a job if I have to.” I smiled and kissed her softly. “Love, I know it’s hard for you to see me like this.
I promise once I turn these files in I will resign and work on finding a new job.” Jasmine smiled and hugged me tight. “Thank you Jer. Now I have to go find an awall little soldier.” I laughed and stood up with her. “Dinner will be ready shortly love. Do you know where Lauri is?” She shook her head. “She was supposed to be home about an hour ago. I’m pretty sure shes ok though. She was at a friends house.” Just then the front door open and we heard Lauri call out for us. “Mom? Dad? You there?” “We are in the kitchen hunnie.” Jasmine replied, shouting back to Lauri. Lauri walked into the kitchen trying to keep from making eye contact with me. I waited to see if she would explain why she was late but she didn’t say anything. “Weren’t you supposed to be home an hour ago Lauri?”

She just kept staring down at the floor as she shuffled over to check on the dinner. “Lauri, I am talking to you. The least you can do is anwser me.” Finnally she looked up at me, “Yes dad I was supposed to be home an hour ago. Sorry for being late.” She started to head out of the kitchen. “Lauri, don’t think you can just walk away from this. Have a seat.” She frowned and sat down in the chair opposite the table of me. “What do you want dad?” “I wan’t to know why you are late Lauri, you didn’t even bother to give us a phone call. Where were you?” She stared at me, I could tell she was hiding something. I waited for a response but none came. “Lauri, you know I am just watching out for you.” “Yea dad, I know. I am sorry I didn’t call I really should have.” I sat down and stared at her from across the table. “So, why are you late?”
She didn’t look at me. “Lauri, you know I can tell when you are hiding something. Just tell me what it is so I don’t have to find out from someone else.” She glared at me, “You wouldn’t dare?” “Wouldn’t I?” “Dad!! Your impossible.” I leaned back, “Lauri if you just tell us upfront you know we are usually ok with everything you do.” She turned her head so she wouldn’t have to look at me. “ Fine, I wasn’t at a friends house. I was out with my boyfriend. We went to a movie and it didn’t end until late.” I was in shock.
When did she get a boyfriend? Who was he? How old was he? Does he treat her right? I couldn’t help but get angry. “Lauri, why the hell haven’t you told us about this. You know if he hurt you we wouldn’t even know where you are or who he was. Does your mother even know about this?” Lauri shook her head, “ I haven’t told anyoene dad. I didn’t want to. You guys are so strict and you would probably run him through some military interigation or something.” I glared at her, “Lauri do you really think I would be that mean?”
She just nodded and stood up from the table. “Lauri, you are forbiden to see him again until I have the chance to talk to him.” She just stomped her foot and stormed out of the kitchen and up the stairs to her room. I heard the door slam. I turned around to the stove and tried to lose myself in the dinner preperation. Once dinner was done I called everyone to the table. Lauri seemed to make a effort to sit the farthest away from me as she could.
Josh of course couldn’t find a chair close enough to me. “Dad, what are we going to do tommarow?” I laughed and ruffled his hair, “tommarow is a day at home Josh, we can just watch the game or something.” He threw a fit, I swear if this boy wasn’t able to spend the day at the recruing office or somewhere dealing with the military he wouldn’t be able to survive. Eventually I gave in, “If you behave and we are able to enjoy the game we can go to zoo and out for lunch ok kiddo?”
This seemed to brighten Josh up considerablly. He dug into dinner as the rest of us seemed to push it around our plates more than eat it. After dinner Lauri once again stommped up to her room and slammed the door. “Whats wrong with Lauri?” Jasmine asked me. “I confronted her on where she was tonight and I found out that she has a boyfriend that we didn’t know about, so I have forbidden her from seeing him until I have the chance to meet him.”
Jasmine sighed. “Jer, shes a teenager, shes going to want her own life apart from us.” I frowned, and stood up and started clearing the table. “She should have at least told us about him.” Josh got up from his seat and helped me clear the table one plate at a time. “Jer, she probably just wanted to wait for the right time, and you have to admit you can be a hard ass sometimes. Do you remember the friend she brought over?” I thought back and couldn’t help but laugh. The first time that Lauri brought a guy home from school I almost went postal on him. I should have known better than to be so critical of him.
I am glad he still remained friends with Lauri even though he constantly refuses to come over to our house anymore. “I guess your right love, I just don’t want anything to happen to her.” “I know Jer, but if we try to control every aspect of her life she will just continue to try and hide things from us.” I noded, she always knows what to say to win an argument. I started washing the dishes as Josh did his best to dry and put them away.
“Jas, can you please talk to Lauri for me. I don’t want her to start hating me.” “Jer you know she will never hate you, you’re her father.” I sort of laughed at this, “I know Jas, but teeneagers usually end up hating their parents for some reason or another. I just want to meet the guy to make sure that he will treat our little girl right.” Jasmine had to agree with me on this. She kissed my cheek then headed up to talk to Lauri. Once Josh and I finished cleaning up after dinner we headed out to the living room and turned on the television.
“So what you wan’t to watch Josh?” Josh sat there thinking and looking up at the celling. “Is there a game on dad?” I picked up the television guide and flipped through it. “well there seems to be a game on but neither are your faviorite teams.” He grabbed at the remote, “doesn’t matter dad, its not about the teams its about the game.” I laughed and flipped to the channel the game was on. The vikings and the packers were playing, as Josh settled down into the couch to watch the game.
I smiled and sat back, “:well Josh, do you want to make this interesting?” He looked at me confused. “well we both pick a team, if you win then you get to stay up late, if I win then you have to go to bed right after the game.” He thought about it and then noded. “It’s a deal dad, my money is on the packers.” I noded, “guess I am with the vikings.” After Josh got lost in the game I quietly stood up and headed up the stairs to help Jasmine with Lauri. I stood outside the door and listened, “Lauri, you know your dad means well he just wants to make sure that you are safe and ok. It is what every dad will do when his daughter meets a new boy. Your dad is just a little over protective.”
Well, I just wish he would trust me mom.” I knocked on the door, “can I come in?” I could hear Lauri turn over to keep from looking as me as I hear Jasmine, “Come in Jer.” I walked over and sat down on the edge of the bed. “Lauri, sweetheart. I am sorry for how I acted earlier. I was just upset that you didn’t tell us about him and I over reacted. I just care about you so much, you’re my little girl.”
Lauri still didn’t move. I gently placed my hand on her back, “Lauri, if you can promise me that you will be ok and IF,” I emphasized the if, “something does happen that you will call me immidiatly, I will let you see this boy.” This seemed to get her attention. Lauri turned over and sat up a little bit. “Dad, I’m sorry for not telling you about him. I’m just afraid that if you do meet him you will scare him off like you do all of my male friends.” I rolled my eyes, “not all of them.” This got a laugh out of her, “Yes dad, all of them.” I couldn’t help but laugh with her. “If you let me meet him I promise I will be nice, you can even monitor me.”
Lauri seemed to think about it for a little bit then nodded. “Alright dad, on one condition.” I looked from Lauri to Jasmine and catiously ask “what condition?” Lauri smiled evily and said, “I want you to remove my curfeew.” I sat still, shocked. “How about I make you a counter offer, you let me meet him and I will move your curfew to one a.m. but you have to call home at eleven.” She thought about this, “Sounds fair dad.” She held out her hand and I shook it closing the deal.
I could see Jasmine out of the corner of my eye trying her best not to laugh. For some reason I think I was just played. Jasmine smiles softly at me. “she just wants to things her way. You were the same when we first met.” I frowned at the comparision. I am hoping she doesn’t make the same mistakes I did. After thinking for a little while I finnally thought that if she was anything like me this poor boy shes with will have his hands full. I stand up and nod, “alright jas, I will give her space but that does not mean I won’t be watching.” She smiled, stood up and hugged me closer “I know you will do the right thing Jer.”
I smiled and kissed her softly before heading towards my study. Once therem I gently close the door and lock it, something I have never done before. I wondered why I was doing it now, I think it was just this weird feeling that I have. I sat at my desk and started shuffeling through the mass of papers and I came upon the new recruit file. I stared down at it and sighed. I leaned back in my chair thinking to myself how tiring this work is. I was a trained fighter and now they have me sitting behind a desk like some incoherent rookie. I cursed myself before sitting up and opening the file.
The first thing that cought my attention was the lack of gurth the file had. Usuallly new recruit files had a lot of information, school records, legal records, and health records at least. This file contatined little to nothing. Just a photo and a name. I closed the file and stared down at the cover. What the hell could all this mean? I shook my had and through the file into the drawer and slam it shut. I looked at the rest of the files then the clock. It’s eight, so everyone is probably in the living room watching television. I will just finish the rest of the files later. I stood up and walked into the living room.

Everyone was lazing about watching the t.v. I smiled and continued into the kitchen to get a cup of coffee. I grabbed my faviorite cup from the cupboard and filled it with black coffee. I sat down at the table contemplating the file and my job in its enterity. As I lay my head down against my arms and felt the warmth of the fcoffe cup benath my hands I hear a shreik from the other room then the sound of breaking glass. I stand up knocking the cup off the table as I race to the living room. As soon as I made it through the doorway I immidiatly took in all of my surroundings. The shattered window which littered the floor with glass, and a brick with something tied to it. Then I noticed Jasmine and Lauri huddled in the corner furthest from the window.
What shocked me the most is I couldn’t find Josh. Finding Josh is my first priority. I quickly scan the room and notice the open door and ran for it. At the end of the sidewalk acting like a tough little soldier he had his hand raised into a tiny fist and was yelling at the top of his lungs calling the black sedan speeding away. I ran over to him and picked him up and sprinted back into the house. I set josh down on the couch and pulled out my cellphone and called the police. I didn’t even bother reading the obviouse noted tied to the brick. As I hear the dispatcher on the other end of the line I slowly and methodically go through the events the best I can. Once I was off the phone with the police I look a little closer at the brick.
As I examine it I see a little red pool forming beneath it. I quickly move everyone from the living room into the kichen. I sat them all down at the table and tried to distract them. “So what was on t.v.?” Jasmine, realizing what I was trying to do, forced a smile and said “Just some old movie. Do you remember old yeller?” I laughed but it was empty and lacking mirth. “that’s a good movie.” I turned my attention to Lauri. “So what did you think of the movie?” She looked from me to Jasmine and then at Josh. She nodded but kept silent. I sighed and turned to Josh. “What did you think of the movie?”
He looked at me with his ‘seriouse’ face. “Dad, are we going to let them get away with that?” I slowly run my fingers through my hair and take a deep breath, I should have seen that coming. He is always my tough little soldier. I smiled at him and shook my head. “No Josh, we will take care of it. It’s just outside my jurisdiction so I have to leave it to the local athourities.” He frowned, “but Dad, the local athourities don’t even have half the training you do. Even I have as much training as them.”
I couldn’t help but laugh at this. I picked him up and hugged him and whispered so low that jasmine couldn’t hear. “don’t worry lil corpral we will be taking care of it, just with a little help from the locals.” Josh made a playing grimance and sat defeated in the wooden chair. As we sat there waiting I could feel the tension rising in the room. I knew what everyone was thinking but didn’t want to talk about. After a short while I stood up and headed out to the living room. I looked over at the clock above the television. Seven minuets have gone by since I called the police. Shouldn’t they be here by now? Where were they? I waited a few more minuets and when the police still didn’t arrive I went to the cleaning closet and grabbed a pair of clean latex gloves. I walked back to the living room while putting the gloves on. I knelt down next to the brick and carefully unwrapped the stained paper from around it. As soon as I unwrapped the paper a finger fell out from between the brick and the paper. I cursed under my breath and left the finger on the floor as I smoothed out the paper. I smoothed out the paper and stood shocked at what the paper said. How can this be? Who could know about this? After a few seconds of running possibilities through my head I heard sirens approaching the house. I crumpled up the paper and stuffed it in my pocket as I ran to the desk. I grabbed another piece of paper and crumpled it up and wrapped it around the finger and brick again. Just as I finished there was a knock on the door and officer sanderson announced himself.
I wiped my hands off on my pants and went to anwser the door. As I reached the door I heard the chairs scrapping in the kitchen letting me know that the rest of the family was on their way into the living room. I didn’t want the kids to see what was wrapped in the paper but if I told them not to come in it would seem sucpicouse so I would have to deal with the outcome of what was about to happen. I opened the door and waved my hand towards the living room. “Come in officer Sanderson.” He nodded and headed into the house, and just like true to fashion police officers, he immidiatly started examing the room starting with the broken window and ending with the brick lying on the floor. While he was examing the room I couldn’t help but think to myself how ironic this seemed to be. I thought back to all thoes old horror movies Jasmine and I used to watch. How the threats always seemed to either come in the mail or by a brick through the window. I probably looked really weird standing there smiling as I was lost in thought.
After a few minuets of watching Sanderson examing the room he put on latex gloves and picked up the brick and pulled off the paper. As soon as he did two screams filled the room along with a shocked gasp from officer Sanderson. Supprisingly Josh just stood there silently keeping his eyes averted. Officer Sanderson picked up the finger and placed it into the evidence bag along with the paper and brick. He then asked me if I was able to see the car or a license plate. I shook my head, “The best I could tell was it was a dark SUV style vehicle.” He nodded and then headed out of the house. I turned to Jasmine, “Take the kids upstairs and have them take a warm shower then bed.” Jasmine just stood there staring at me, I figured she was going into shock so I walked over towards her and the kids and gently nudge them towards the stairs. “Go take a warm shower then get some rest.”
After a couple more nudges they slowly shuffled towards the stairs and worked their way up. Once they were out of ear shot I turned towards officer Sanderson, “I hope that you will do your best on this case.” “Of course I will do my best on this case. It is my job to make sure that anyone who breaks the law is brought to justice.” Replied Sanderson. I nodded, “Alright well then I will give you a number you can reach me at, me and my family will be moving out of state.” “Out of state? Why would you move out of state?” I sighed and went to the desk and grabbed a different piece of paper so they could not compare the paper wrapped around the brick to the paper I give him. “Anyone who is threatening me means buisness and I will not allow my family to be subjigated to this.” Sanderson nodded then accepted the paper I wrote my number on. He waved in another officer who started taking pictures of the broken window, the brick, the finger and then bagged everything and headed back out. Officer Sanderson shook my hand then followed the other officer out. I watched out the window as the two officers got into their patrol cars and pulled away. Once they were out of sight I headed to the garage and to get supplies to patch up the window. Once I got to the garage door I looked around to make sure that no one was downsairs then I slipped into the garage and locked the door. I walked over to my workbench and turned on the lamp. I pulled out the paper and smoothed it out on the desk and read it over again. How could someone know about the missions in Iraq. They were supposed to be non-existencent. If someone knew about the missions then it would lower the list of people who could have thrown the brick through the window. So the people who are threatening me and my family are some of the most dangerouse people I can think of. Highly trained in hand to hand combat, highly trained in weapon combat and technical combat and espionage, making them some of the most dangerouse people in the world. If I wasn’t trained as well as they were then I wouldn’t even be a threat for them and there would not have been any need for this warning.