Going Against Nature | Teen Ink

Going Against Nature

May 21, 2012
By Padma95, Webster City, Iowa
More by this author
Padma95, Webster City, Iowa
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Not everything that is faced can be changed. But nothing can be changed until it is faced.























-James Baldwin


Author's note: I'm from Webster city, I'm 16 and I'm a sophomore in high school, I have been writing sense I was little. This book or short novel was a project I did for a class, and our teacher made us post it on Teenink to see how other people think our work is or what we can approve on. So if you could leave comments and tell me what you thought. It would be appreciated.

“Sherry get up! You’re going to be late for your first day at school!” I didn’t move us all the way across the world for her to sleep all day. “Sherry! Don’t make me come up there!”

Sherry groaned but got out of bed. She wasn’t really a morning person, so she really hated it when her mother woke her up before she had to. Sherry went and took a long hot shower sense it was only 6 A.M. When she got out only 30 minutes went by and she groaned again. She got dressed and went down stairs.

“It’s about time you got out of bed missy.” Sherry’s mother, Erica, said.” I was about to come up and get you.” Erica sat down a plate of eggs and bacon on the table. Sherry sat down and started eating the bacon.

“I took a shower.” Sherry grumbled. “I don’t need you to wake me up every morning you know.”

“Yes I do otherwise you’ll always be late like you were back in foreland. Besides it doesn’t hurt to wake up a little bit early.” Erica went and grabbed her keys from the other room and come back and kissed Sherry on the head. “I have to go to work early; the boss wants to see me. Behave in school Sherry. I mean it.”

Sherry sighed putting her plate in the sink. “I’ll behave if everyone else does. But I love you too, bye mom.”

Erica walked to the front door and yelled again. “I mean it Sherry.” Erica shut the door behind her

Sherry sighed and looked at the clock on the wall. It’s 7:30. Sherry grabbed her bag and headed outside. The bus should be here soon. When Sherry walked out the door the bus was just pulling up to the curb. She took a deep breath and walked toward where it was parked. She got on and the doors slammed behind her. Sherry’s eyes roamed up and down the seats filled with kids hoping there would be an empty one. A boy signaled her to sit with him. Sherry smiled gratefully at the boy and walked over and sat down beside him.

“Thank you, I don’t think there was any open sit’s left.”

The boy smiled and nodded. “You’re welcome. These kids don’t like new comers so I thought I would save you from getting chewed up and spat back out.” Sherry made a face and the boy laughed. “Don’t worry; they won’t mess with you while I’m around. I’m Zack by the way.”

“I’m Sherry I just moved from Foreland.” Sherry looked out the window and saw a big building and thought it must be the school.

“Don’t worry it’s not as big as it looks. So do you know what classes you will be taking yet?”

Sherry shook her head. “I think I’m supposed to go to the office to get it.” Sherry saw kids starting to stand up so she followed their example. Zack stands up beside her pulling his bad onto his back.

“I can show you where the office is if you want.” Zack offered following Sherry off the bus.

“That would be great I don’t want to get that lost this morning if I can help it.” Zack laughed and Sherry slapped his arm playfully.

“Hey what was that for?!” Zack yelled rubbing at his arm. Sherry just laughed. Zack groaned and said “Women” under his breath. That just made Sherry laugh harder.

“Looks like you’re going to have your hands full this year Zack.” A voice behind them said. “I don’t think you’ll have time to “Play” with any girls this year.”

Zack groaned and turned around to face who the voice belonged to. “What do you want now Logan? I don’t have time to play your games. I have to get Sherry to the office. “Zack put his arm around Sherry’s waist to get her farther away from Logan.

Logan looked at Sherry and made a face. “What is it with you and humans Zack? I know you live off of them but come on, go after a girl your own species”

Sherry gasped and moved away from Zack.” Thanks for the offer but I think I’ll find the office myself. She briskly walked away from Zack and Logan. Sherry heard someone growl but didn’t look back to see who.

“Sherry wait! Don’t listen to what Logan says he’s a jerk.” Zack ran up beside her and grabbed her arm. “Logan’s just jealous that he doesn’t’ have a beautiful friend like you. You’re better than that, don’t’ let him get to you. Come one were both late for class.” He dragged her to a door on the right side of them, and pulled her in.

The lady at the desk looked up and smiled. “Good morning Zack. I see you managed to be late again.” The lady looked at Sherry. “Who’s your friend?”

Zack smiled back. “Morning Gale, this is my friend Sherry. She just moved here and needs to get her Schedule, and if you wouldn’t mind we both need a pass to class.”

Gale turns away from Sherry and Zack and types something on her computer. When she turns back she’s holding two small pieces of paper and a regular sized one. “Okay, here are your passes.” Gale hands them to Zack. “And here is your schedule Sherry.” Gales hand’s Sherry her schedule. “Zack can show you where your first class is, and then he may go to class.” Gale turned and gave Zack a stern look and turned back to her computer.

Zack made a face but agreed. He walked Sherry out of the office and looked at her schedule. “So do you skip classes often then?” Sherry asks as Zack hands her schedule back to her.

Zack starts walking to the starts in front of them. “Something like that, I just don’t think I really need to go to classes I know it all already, so why go through it all again.” As soon as their on the second floor Zack turns to a door on their left and stops in front of it. “This is your first class. His name is Mr. Gavin and he’ll be your math teacher.” Zack starts to walk away but Sherry stops him.

“Zack if not for Gales warning, then do it for me, but please go to class. I would actually like a friend to talk to. Not one that is in the office for skipping.” Sherry didn’t even wait for him to respond. She opened the door to her Math class and walked right in.

Logan was walking out of History with, Mrs. Redden, when he spotted that human Zack was so interested in. He walked over to her and put his arm around his shoulder. “So where’s your little body guard at? Shouldn’t he be here protecting you or something?”

Sherry glared at him and shook his arm off of her. “For your information, it is none of your business where Zack is, and he is NOT my body guard. He was just showing me where the office is and my class. Besides he a better friend then you could ever be.”

Logan started to growl at her but he didn’t get a chance to do anything. “Logan get away from her or you’re going to lose an eye ball for even looking at her.” Zack walks up beside Sherry and puts a protective arm around her.

Logan tilts his head to the side and just laughs. “When are you ever going to learn that these humans are nothing better than just meat to you? It’s not like you can really be with them anyways without killing them of course.”

Sherry glared at Logan again. “Okay I don’t know who you are or who you even think you are, but don’t talk to my friend like that. He would never hurt anyone, and if he did, it would be you he would be hurting.”

Logan smirked at Sherry. “I see why you have picked this one Zack. You were always into the feisty ones.” Logan laughed and just walked away.

Zack looked at Sherry weirdly. “You’re not afraid of Logan?”

Sherry raised her eyebrow at Zack. “No, should I be?”

Zack just laughed and shook his head. “No, but just don’t go around picking fights with him.” Zack started walking to the schools front door and looked back at sherry. “ Come on, if I can’t leave without you then you’re coming with me because I don’t feel like staying in school any longer then I have too.

Zack took Sherry back to his house but Sherry protested because she didn’t want Zack to get in trouble if his parents were home. “Don’t worry Sherry my parents don’t care if I skip classes they understand and don’t have a problem with it. Come one please? We can watch a movie and you can pick it out we have like a whole bookcase full of movies. Please?”

Sherry sighed but in the end gave in she didn’t feel like going back to school at this minute anyways. Zack lead Sherry into his living room. It had two love seats, two couches, a coffee table and a big flat screen TV that covered the whole wall. Zack showed Sherry where the DVD’s were and let her pick one out. Sherry decided on twilight and Zack groaned but let her put it in. “Twilight isn’t that bad Zack. I’ve seen it like 20 times and I’m still not tired of it.”

Zack went and sat down on the couch that was the one in front of the TV and sat down. He patted the space beside him and Sherry went and sat down beside him. “No it’s not bad, but I’m a lot older then you. So I’ve seen it a lot more then I would like to. My mom loves Twilight.”

Sherry raised an eyebrow at Zack. “How much more older are you then me. Cause we are supposed to be in the same grade. I’m only 16.”

Zack looked out in the distance of the window and just sat there for a moment thinking. Do I want to tell this human girl what I am? She has given me no reason not to. Plus I’ve already given myself away by telling her that, so what’s it going to hurt. My parents might want to kill me after this but here it goes. Still looking out the window Zack asked. “Sherry do you believe there are creatures out there other than humans?”

Sherry was quiet for a moment but finally answered. “Maybe I do why?”

Zack looked back at Sherry and whispered. “Because I’m a vampire. I’m 254 years old…”

Sherry went wide eye for a moment and took a deep breath in. She got off the couch and went to go open the front door to go outside. When she opened up the door there stood Logan smirking. He was standing on Zack’s porch leaning up against a column of the house. “So you’ve taken the human home for super have you Zack?”

Zack come up from behind Sherry and pushed her behind him. “What do you want Logan? Here to try and steal her like the others?”

Logan laughed and stood up straight walking off the porch. “Come on Zack we both know that she’s much too smart to fall for my charm, but not smart enough to fall for yours. Shall I tell your friend what you really are and see how she likes you after that Zacky?”

Zack growled at him. “She already knows Logan, and you just interrupted on me finding out or not if she still wants to be my friend.” Zack moved away from Sherry so he could look at her. “Are you still my friend Sherry?” Zack asked in a soft voice?

Sherry looked at Logan and asked in a small whisper. “What are you Logan..?”

Logan noticed she used the word what instead of whom. He answered without hesitation. “I’m a werewolf. You can see this explains why Zack and I don’t see eye to eye.”

Sherry closed her eyes for a moment and took in a long, slow deep breath. “Are there more of you at school, or are you two it?”

Zack answered for both of them. “There’s more of use. Logan’s coven has half of this town and mine has the other half, but with being so close together we had no choose but going to the same school.”

“Some of us hate it more than other’s but we learn to deal the best we can.” Logan added looking at Zack. “Is the council going to be mad at us Zack?” Logan asked him in a small voice.

Sherry looked at Logan in confusion. He looked scared. “Who’s the council?”

“It’s our version of your guy’s law. They tell us what we can and can’t do and so one.” Logan said in a sarcastic voice.

Zack just rolled his eyes. “They may tell us what to do Logan but they have sure done a damn well job with it. Our kind only gets killed when we get careless or don’t really care anymore.”

“What if the council doesn’t think I can keep you guy’s a secret what will the do with me?” Sherry already knew the answer but wanted to hear it out loud to make it seem real.
Zack and Logan both looked at Sherry with sad eyes but only Zack answered her. “They’ll kill you. They could kill you right now if they want to. Humans are never supposed to know that were here. Even if they can be trusted.”

Zack and Logan looked off to the distance and Zack sighed. “My parents are home. They are going to know something is up, so I’m not going to lie if either of them asks.”

Sherry nodded and headed back inside the house where she felt safe. Logan followed her inside and they both found a place to sit. Zack came inside sometime after with his parents on his heels. “So this is the human you told about us Zack? I hope that the council finds her capable of keeping our secret because I’m having this go against us.”

Zack went and sat down beside Sherry on the love seat and put a arm on the back of the seat. “Dad, don’t worry with our luck the council will never know. So there will be no reason why they should even have to come out here. Unless someone in this room has a big mouth and tells his daddy all that happened today. Then yes we’ll have to worry, but for now were safe. I may not know Sherry well enough yet, but she won’t tell anyone, I know she won’t.”

Logan growled at Zack. “I may be a werewolf but I am not a fool. I don’t feel like being grounded for ever, since I’m going to take over the pack in the next 2 years.”

“Even so Zack, you shouldn’t have brought this… this thing into our world. She has not right to even be here.” Zack’s dad glared at Sherry.

Sherry looked down afraid of what was going to happen. She looked outside and saw that it was getting dark and she needed to get home. “Thanks for inviting me Zack but I really need to go home before my parents start wondering where I am.” Sherry got up to leave but Zack’s dad growled at her to sit back down.

“You can’t leave until we decide on what to do. You’re not safe out there with the council. They probably already know about all of this. They have incredible sense of disturbances.”

Sherry sat back down and Zack put a protective arm around her. “Dad she’ll be fine I’ll take her home and watch over her from there. The council will not get to her or will this spread.” Zack got up and grabbed Sherry’s hand ignoring his dad’s glare and walked out the door. They got in his car and drove off leaving Logan and Zack’s dad behind. Zack took Sherry home and met her parents for a minute and said hi. He pretended to leave but went around the back of the house and jumped up to Sherry’s open window.

“Are you sure this is going to work?” Sherry asked. She was just crawling in to bed when she turned and looked at Zack.
Zack went over to her bed and tucked her in. “I’m sure if your parents come in I can just wipe their memory clean of me ever being here and send them back to bed.”

Sherry yawned and nodded and closed her eyes and drifted off to sleep. Zack just sat by the end of her bed watching her sleep. Wondering what was going to be come of his little human.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.