Fresh Blood

Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next »

Broken bonds and quick draws

Several hours had passed and I found myself actually enjoying myself. We sat around telling joke and funny stories, it felt comforting. It seems like I could actually call these people my friends. The only bits of hostility came whenever Sarah and Nathan spoke to each other. It’s understandable, what with their past together but you’d think they try to act civil in light of the circumstances. I decided to mention this to Rem and Jacob once.
“I feel like there’s more to their story. There’s no reason to hate people like they hate each other.” I whispered.
“Yeah you got a point but, hey, what can we do.” Jacob responded while Remmie nodded in agreement. We ended the discussion when we saw Sarah looking at us with irritated eyes.
The rest of the night was silent and I noticed some of the familiar tension was growing again. It was Jacob, Remmie, and my turns to sleep leaving hostile Sarah and Nathan with poor frightful Erika. It spelled disaster from the get go but I was too tired to care. I finally dozed off only to be woken up a short time later by yelling. I sat up, rubbing my eyes, and was greeted by a can of soup flying over the top of my head. Sarah and Nathan were standing across the room from each other, red glaring in their eyes. Erika was sobbing quietly in a corner, terrified out of her wits.
“Shut up Nathan! Just shut up!” Sarah was screaming on the top of her lungs.
“It’s true and you know it Sarah!” He screamed back.
“I swear to god, if you don’t shut up I’m going to hurt you!”
“Oh just like you hurt Kira?”
Suddenly, without warning, Sarah lunged herself across the room at Nathan, tackling him to the ground. They wrestled for a few minutes and we were frozen in fear. When we finally snapped out of it Jacob, Remmie and I ran over to pull Sarah off of the now bruised and battered Nathan.
“Now what are you guys going on about?” asks Jacob
Sarah pulled away from our holds and started pacing the room. ”Nathan is just running his mouth again.”
Nathan laughed and snarled out “Stop lying and tell them the truth! Tell them how it’s your fault Kira is dead!”
We gasped and Sarah froze. She was unable to believe that her secret was revealed.
“It was an accident.” She whispered. “Kira just was in the wrong place at the wrong time.”
“Who’s Kira and what happened?” I questioned.
Sarah just sighed and sat down. “She was my best friend. She was with Nathan and I when this mess started. One night I was standing guard and hadn’t noticed she slipped out to use the restroom. I heard the footsteps and didn’t know it was her! I…I shot her!” She cried this out, burying her face in her hands. I stood; slack jawed and had a wave of pity wash over me. I went to comfort her but was stopped by Nathan.
“Then you left her to die! Don’t try to get sympathy from these guys, you’re a murderer!” says Nathan.
Sarah cried out and withdrew her gun; in a second Nathan did the same. Both stood there, guns pointing straight for the others hearts, resembling a scene from an old western. I half expected tumbleweed to make its way across the room. This time we couldn’t intervene for we would be shot also. I closed my eyes and turned away. That’s when I heard it; the trigger being pulled, the gun being shot, and the body hitting the floor.

Freckles3 said...
Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:57 am:
Ahhh! Chapter Eight is even BETTER!!

Freckles3 said...
Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:54 am:
This... Was.... Amazing. Absolutely beautiful. I mean, right now I'm only on Chapter 7, but it's so good, I had to comment right now! Great work!! What a horror story!!