Fresh Blood

Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Next »

Growing numbers, shrinking patience

It takes five minutes to reach the final floor of the building. With the flashlight being our now only source of light, Remmie and I wander the dark, musty basement. We continued walking through the maze of rooms until we came upon a huge room with an empty pool.
“Cool, I wouldn’t think this crappy place would have such a nice, big pool.” Remmie exclaimed. We started examining the room for supplies when I suddenly heard whispering. I reloaded my gun and turned towards the source of the noise. It looked like a door leading to a ladies locker room. I nodded to Rem and we tiptoed over to the door. The whispering stopped so I crouched down to peep into the keyhole. All I see is a shadow move before the door swung open, cracking me in the head and knocking me back. I heard Remmie say something before I finally blacked out. I awoke sometime later in what felt like a different room. The floor was smoother and what my head was resting comfortably on something soft.
“Is she okay?” An unfamiliar female voice whispered.
“She should be fine. Maybe you should be more careful next time Sarah!” says a harsh sounding man.
“Bite me Nathan.” The girl, who I assume is Sarah, snapped.
I was growing irritated with the strangers squabbles. Who are these people anyway?
“Play nice you two.” Jacob said. Jacob! I gasped and sat up, observing the surroundings. Jacob and Remmie where kneeling next to me. The guy I assume is Nathan is leaning against the wall glaring at the tall curvy blond sitting in the corner across from me. The small brunette with a round face was the last person I saw. She was hiding behind Jacob, holding onto his shoulders, and shaking horribly. The light was flickering and the on and off motions were making me feel even dizzier. I went to run a hand through my hair and winced as I came into contact with a sore bump on my forehead. It must have been where the door caught me. Everyone was looking at me with perplexed stares.
“Who are you? Where am I? Remmie what’s going on here?” I asked, growing ridged with nerves.
Remmie put a hand on my shoulder to soothe me.” Shush now it’s alright. You got knocked out of the by the door when it opened. These people are our friends.”
I nodded and turned to Jacob, “I thought you where dead. I heard all the screaming and banging.”
“Nope, came close to dying though. I ran into Erika here and got chased down here.”He said referring to the trembling girl holding onto him tightly.”Luckily we ran into Sarah and Nathan. We were going to get you two but when Sarah opened the door we just saw you fall down and blackout” He shrugged.
“And my gun?” I asked. Without further word he reached behind him and pulled out my shotgun. He placed it softly on my lap and gave it a gentle tap.
“I kept it safe for you.” He smiled. I scowled at him but had to laugh a little at his sincerity. I got up and stretched, wincing at the throbbing in my head. I couldn’t ignore the rumbling in my belly. I’m starving! Obviously Erika heard my angry belly because she handed me a can of raviolis with trembling hands. I told her thanks and began digging in; hardly chewing I was so hungry. I estimate that kit has been at least two days since I’ve ate a halfway decent meal. The atmosphere was so…awkward.
“So Sarah, Nathan. You guys got a story?” I asked after swallowing a mouthful of food. They did, in fact, have quite a story. They had met in Vegas and, after a drunken filled night, gotten married. Neither could afford a divorce so they simply went home without the other. They failed to inform each other that they lived here in Youngstown so , of course, they crossed paths. They just happened to find the other when the infection started and have been hateful allies ever since.
“Personally, between you and I, if he happened to just drop dead I wouldn’t care. I’d probably feed him to the zombies myself.” Sarah whispered to me. I had to laugh at her twisted sense of humor. Nathan didn’t seem too bad but I understand why Sarah hated him so.
“Erika how’d you end up here?” Remmie asked.
“Uh, I don’t really know. I kind of just woke up on the roof and made my way down to the third floor where I ran into Jacob. I’m really scared.” She whispered then suddenly started sobbing. Jacob wrapped his arms around her in comfort. Now the only noise I hear coming from her are soft whimpers. I sighed unsure if this really is the safest place after all.

Freckles3 said...
Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:57 am:
Ahhh! Chapter Eight is even BETTER!!

Freckles3 said...
Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:54 am:
This... Was.... Amazing. Absolutely beautiful. I mean, right now I'm only on Chapter 7, but it's so good, I had to comment right now! Great work!! What a horror story!!