Fresh Blood

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next »

Blast from The Past

We had been in the dark dirty room for what felt like days, even though it must have been just mere hours. We were taking turns sleeping and it was currently Rems turn. Jacob and I were sitting across from each other, a tiny candle that we found in the room supplying only a bit of light and heat, we had been talking nonstop since Remmie dozed off in her peaceful slumber and had learned tons about each other.
I learned that he had lived in Michigan all his life but when his mother passed away from a long battle with cancer, he and his brother moved here to Youngstown, their mothers home town. He explained that he was working at the local Burger Prince, flipping burgers when his brother called saying that he saw on the news that a virus had accidently been released from a not-so-secure military base in Washington D.C and to hurry and get home. They were together up till three days ago, when finally the flesh craving bastards got his brother. He’s been alone ever since.
“Your how old?” I questioned.
“Sixteen.”
“Oh, I and Rem are too!”
“Hmm”
We sat, awkward and quiet, for about 10 minutes when suddenly I heard him clear his throat.
“So what’s your story Sam?” Jacob asked curiously, His wondering, green eyes looked me over, examining me.
I sighed “I don’t have much of one.” I replied sorrowfully, for to all aspects it was true.
“Well…how about you tell me you and Remmies story. Did you know each other before all this mess?”
“No...No we met about a day or two ago.” I said this while closing my eyes, the meeting replayed in my mind.

‘Big Bobs Gun shop’ I smiled as I read the sign hanging from the tiny little store.
I quickly ran into abandoned safety of endless survival supplies. It was dark but my eyes started adjusting quickly. I gasped when I saw all the glorious weapons, pistols, rifles, bows, and my favorite, shotguns! Thank god my dad took the time to teach me how to use these so I could go hunting with him.
As I walked I felt ... strange. Like I was being watched.
CLANK!
“What th-.” Before I could finish I was cut off by a figure tackling me to the ground. Survival instinct took over and my fist went crashing into the beings face.
“Ow! What’s wrong with you? God.” A female voice rang out of the mysterious stranger pinning me down.
“What’s wrong with me? What’s wrong with you?” You’re the one that tackled me you freak!” I yelled only for the persons hand to cover my mouth.
“Shhh! be quiet! Do you want them to hear you?” She hisses, probably refereeing to the undead that most likely are close by. It seems like you can never get away from them. She got up and walked over to a wall and flipped a light switch on, resulting in a dull light to flicker throughout the tiny store.
I squinted for a second, startled by the abruptness of light, and stared at the girl in front me. Her dark hair framed her pale face and her hazel eyes started coldly behind her dark rimmed glasses. She wore red and black tank tops, dark jeans, and an old pair of Chucks. She walked over to me, grabbing an bloody plaid shirt and gun from a stand, and started looking me over.
“Who are you and what are you doing here?” She asked, slowly putting the shirt on.
“My names Sammie and I just wanted some freaking weapons. But no, you had to go all Chuck Norris on me.” I retorted
“My bad.” She said sarcastically.
“Ugh, just let me get a gun or two and then I’ll leave alright?”
“Go nuts.”
I shook my head and started to gather up some supplies. An old backpack, three guns, a couple bags of jerky, as much ammo as I could hold, and an axe was quickly found and strapped onto my back. When I was finish I turned back to the girl, only to find her looking at a tiny locket with a saddened expression. She looked so alone.
“So, what’s your name and what’s with the locket?” I asked, walking over towards her. She sighed and looked at me, eyes red and puffy.
“Remmie and this locket was a gift from my boyfriend.” She said quietly. She opened it and showed me the picture inside; it was of her and who I believed was her boyfriend. He was pale and lanky, with shaggy black hair and dark eyes. They looked in love.
“We got separated two days ago and I’ve been so worried ever since. He’s all I had and now he’s gone.” She continued, tears swelling up her eyes.
I placed a comforting hand on her shoulder and we stayed like that for about ten minutes when suddenly we hear the moaning and groaning of the undead. They sounded close by.
“Listen Remmie, It isn’t safe here. I’m leaving and you’re more than welcome to come along.” I quickly whispered. She looked at me, astonished, and nodded.
“Okay, I’ll go with you.” Remmie said, still looking shocked. I gave her time to gather her supplies then we quickly ran out of the shop and never turned back.

“And, that’s how we met.” I said, opening my eyes and looking down at the still sleeping Remmie.
“Wow.” Jacob said, “So tell me one thing. Where are you from Sam?”
“Everywhere, I come and go as I please. Been alone for about two years now so I decided I just go where the roads lead me.”
“What about your family?”
“I don’t have one.” I said sorrowfully.
“But-“
“Enough questions for now, please.”
He nodded and started playing with his gun. It felt…weird. I’ve been trying to keep my mind away from the horror around me but just talking about it made me feel better. This guy, this stranger, just sat there and listened to me. Maybe I should try to make more friends. It’s not like it’ll kill me.

Freckles3 said...
Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:57 am:
Ahhh! Chapter Eight is even BETTER!!

Freckles3 said...
Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:54 am:
This... Was.... Amazing. Absolutely beautiful. I mean, right now I'm only on Chapter 7, but it's so good, I had to comment right now! Great work!! What a horror story!!