If I die before I wake | Teen Ink

If I die before I wake

March 30, 2012
By Madu_Bala BRONZE, Colombo, Other
More by this author
Madu_Bala BRONZE, Colombo, Other
4 articles 1 photo 31 comments

Favorite Quote:
To unpathed waters, undreamed shores - Shakespeare

What can be more tragic than to feel the boundlessness of the surrounding beauty and to be able to see in it its underlying mystery... and yet to be aware of your own inability to express these large feelings… Isaak Levitan


Author's note: This is my very first attempt at a novel. It was my mom who motivated me to write. I was reading a thriller of Agatha Christie when I felt,"why can't I do it?" So I gave it a go. I have dedicated this book to my dearest Jimmy, who is a dog like no other.

Mr. Middleton looked up from his work to see a little figure donned in a white nightdress standing by his door. He kindly carried his daughter in both his arms and sat down with her in his lap. “Is it that dream again?” he asked. Little Sophia nodded her head. “What did you see this time?” he asked. “The same thing. A big mansion, I plant roses-big purple ones, a crystal necklace I am finding in a golden chest in the attic of my bedroom, the necklace glints in a thousand different, the building goes up in fire, a voice screaming “the necklace … give me the necklace you foolish girl”, I search for a place to hide it, fire and smoke everywhere, I try to run but I stumble into the flames …” her voice shuddered and died. “It’s only a dream honey, only a dream, nothing true. You are safe with me” her dad comforted her. “Dad is right” Sophia thought “It was only a dream. But how could dreams be so real?” Her screams were still echoing in her ears.










After 15 years

Sophia woke up covered in sweat. It was that dream again. Now she dreamt bigger things, not small flashes like what she used to have when she was small. Sometimes happy epistles like playing with her brothers, but most of the times she was wearing a crystal chain secretly, even though it was a dream she could feel that she was doing something she was not supposed to do, and then that fearful part where she falls into the flames, she always wakes up after that feeling as if her entire body was on fire.
Sophia slowly turned in her bed to look at the clock, 06; 00, no point at going back to sleep, the boys would be here in an hour. She got out of bed to wake her friend who was sleeping in the next bed. “Rise and shine Moni”
“Oh come on, another five minutes please” Moni moaned. “Wake up sleepy head” Sophia gave her a push. Monique sat up in bed and looked at the clock “Oh goodness, why has 06; 00 come so early?” Sophia laughed “06; 00 comes at the same time everyday dumbo”
Sophia and Monique Pattinson were best friends. Sophia had lost her mom in a very small age, her father died recently. She had stayed with Moni ever since. Moni had short blonde hair, dark blue eyes, a sturdy chin, squared jaw and rather a stubborn character. She was what you might call an all-American girl. Sophie and Moni were archeologists by profession. Right now she and her four friends were on a project to research the history of some ancient mansion. They had planned to start action from the morning.
“Ready Sophie?” Moni called. “Ready” Sophia ran down the stairs pushing back a stubborn fringe of chestnut brown hair. Danny, Joe and Shane had already arrived. Danny had tied his long hair into a pony tail. He had a friendly yet stupid character. He waved, knocking over the spoon stand on the process. Joe was shorter and stockier. He was the unofficial leader of their group.
“Hey guys” Sophia smiled. ‘Morning Smiley” Shane greeted her with a hot cup of coffee. Sophia gave him her warmest smile. Usually Sophia doesn’t like people using her father’s pet name, but Shane was something different. He had wavy blonde hair and light blue eyes, not to mention a somewhat squashed looking nose.
“So shall we hit the track? It’s a long drive” Joe asked. “All right. But tell me what is the name of the place?” Moni asked getting into the front seat. Joe answered from the steering wheel “Ruther ford hall”. Danny, Shane and Sophia were at the back. The car soon started.
As they sped, Sophia watched the city fade away. Green fields and tall trees loomed. Everything was turning from gray to green. As the car passed, Sophia felt that it was the surrounding which was going past them. Sophia tried to get a glimpse of each landmark as the scene slid past her. Her eyes closed gradually. She fell asleep with head pressed to the window.

It was the coldness of the window against her face which woke her.

They had entered the woods. Even daylight didn’t seem to penetrate the trees. Everything was dark and cool. Odd noises were being made by the creatures in the forest. Sophia wished they would get to that place quickly. Meanwhile Moni was busy with the Navigator. “Did anybody Google the house before we left?” she asked. “I did” Joe said “Don’t call it a house, it’s a palace. A big, spooky palace right in the middle of the woods”. “Spooky? You mean like haunted?” Danny asked. “Well there is a rumor that it is haunted” Joe said. “Old wives tales” scoffed Moni “I am not scared of ghosts” “Maybe that’s because the ghosts are scared of you, the way we are” Danny said with a cheeky smile. Moni tried to throw the car cushion at him but she couldn’t bend herself enough. Shane and Miley caught each other’s eye. Cat fights between Moni and Danny were quite common enough.
“Don’t do that Moni, I can’t drive” complained Joe “Tell me, which bend should I take?” “The main reason why I asked you whether you Googled the place is because the navigator has lost signal” Moni answered calmly. “What” Joe brought the car to a stop. “I did my best but it has completely lost signal. Our mobile phones too.” Moni told. “So you mean” Sophia said “we are stranded in the middle of the woods with no way of communication?” “Not exactly stranded” Joe said “There’s only a little part of forest and then there are small villages. Our place is right in the middle …” Even as he was speaking a man came hurrying towards the car.
The man was only about 3 and a half feet, he had a white beard and small needle sharp eyes had to pierce their way through the shaggy eyebrows. He was wearing a Santa – clause hat, a thick jacket and boots which were several sizes too big for him. He displayed a toothy grin at the sight of them “You must be the researching kids” Joe introduced the others. “Me, I am Little John.” He told “You put your vehicle here. Very short walk to the place. Me wife is waiting there”
Sophia got out from the car and followed Joe and Little John. Moni was grumbling beside her. Danny and Shane came behind with the luggage.
The cold pricked Sophia’s spine like needles. Keeping her head down, she walked fast to the faraway light. She could catch a glimpse of the mansion, what she could see made her heart stop beating.

Towering silently, forebodingly before her was the mansion of her dreams!


The four gigantic towers, gates with eagles perched on them, balconies which were crumbling, a badly burnt second floor… a macabre Victorian mansion.
Sophia’s breath came in shards. The world started to shimmer, she pitched into darkness.
She was running … the crystal in her neck … flames were licking her surroundings… she could feel her body burning… the familiar screaming… …
“Sophia…Sophia wake up”
Sophia opened her eyes. Shane and Moni were bending over her. “Sophie, are you alright?” Moni asked. Sophia sat up; she had been lying on the sofa, inside the mansion. “Sophie, what is it?” Shane asked, watching her face.
“Shane…”Sophia started “I said I was having weird dreams, can you remember?” “Yes” Moni said puzzled. Sophia took a deep breath and said “believe it or not, I dreamt of this mansion.”
There was a minute’s silence.
“Man, this is spooky” Danny said.
“Shut up Danny” Joe said “Sophie, it’s probably a coincidence, your dream and this mansion. There are many Victorian mansions which look alike.”
“Maybe” Sophia shrugged.
She took in her surrounding. A merry fire, huge fireplace, swords and shields on the mantel piece, a huge anchor shaped clock, Gainsborough and Vladamir paintings, bronze statues, a comfortable sofa, thick Kashmir carpet, old walls, a painted ceiling, window panes where grape vines entwined…… it was beautiful. Yet it differed from her dreams, because the first floor had been recently furnished. The rest of the setting remained as it was.
Joe gave her a pat on the back “goodnight Sophie, don’t worry yourself.”
Even after putting out the light Sophia couldn’t sleep for a long time. She kept tossing and turning in bed. “There is something meaningful in my dreams. There is something in this mansion.” Sophia thought.

She was wearing a yellow, printed frock. Her brothers were playing with the cart. They were calling out to her “Elizabeth…” She could see her father… She ran along to him. Wait. What if he was with the old man? She hid behind the curtains and saw through the banisters. Yes, she was right. She went the other way around and opened the oak door. There was a large Belgian mirror. She felt her neck and drew out the crystal necklace. How pretty she looked with it? How the necklace glinted. She held it to the sunlight. Seven colors of the rainbow were reflected so brightly that she couldn’t see. Her eyes were dazzled.

Sophia woke up. The bright sunshine dazzled her. She shaded her eyes with her hands. She walked into the living room still thinking about her dream. Moni was cooking, Joe was helping her. “Good morning Smiley” Shane called. Sophia smiled in return.
“I need to find a mirror” Danny said, coming into the hall. “I need to shave” he explained “the bathroom mirror is in pieces”. “Why don’t you try the second room on the left of the stairs, in the east tower?” Sophia asked. “How do you know?” Danny asked surprised. “I dreamt it last night” Sophia replied, watching Shane and Moni exchange glances.
Danny went to check, and in a few minutes came back exclaiming “she is right. There is a huge Belgian mirror”
“See” Sophia shot at Joe “I was right. I did dream this place.”
“But Sophie” Joe said “it’s impossible”
“I know this place. I remember this place” Sophia told him.
Just then the calling bell sounded. Shane opened the door. There stood an old woman with snow white hair and kind brown eyes. She was wearing a bonnet and a coarse brown skirt. “How is the lass this morning?” She inquired. “Fine” Sophia mumbled. “Worried was I when I heard she was taken ill last night. I’ve brought the milk” she said pointing to the bottles of milk. “Now that is very kind of you Mrs. John” Moni said. “Mrs. John…… so this was Little John’s wife” thought Sophia. Mrs. John’s and Moni’s voices faded into the distance as she thoughtfully walked towards the garden.
What she had told lastly hit her. Had she dreamt this mansion or had she remembered it?

“There you are Sophie” Shane sounded relieved. Sophia turned. All of them were coming towards the garden. “Mrs. John is sweet don’t you think?” Moni asked.
Sophia walked near the fountain. In its reflection, she could see her friend’s worried glance.
“Queer kind of rose, but very gorgeous” Moni reflected. Sophia saw that she was pointing at a rich red-purple rose.
“Its Violacea gallica” Sophia answered automatically.
“Violacea gallica? Never heard of it” Moni told.
“You won’t. It’s extinct” Sophia told “just like me”. Looking up from the fountain, she could see blank shock in her friends’ faces.
“But how could it be extinct when it is alive right in front of us?” Moni asked.
“That seems to be the question isn’t it?”Sophia mused “how could I be standing alive when I am already dead? How could I be Elizabeth when I am already Miley?”
Digging the soil with her shoe, she continued “I planted it”.
“How could you have? You only came here yesterday!” Joe exclaimed.
“I planted it” Sophia said strongly “or at least Elizabeth did”
“Who is Elizabeth?” Moni asked. She sounded as if she was going to cry.
“Elizabeth is who I am in my dreams” Sophia answered.
“Miley, you need a good psychiatrist” Joe told.
“I am NOT mad” Sophia rounded on him angrily.
Joe placed his hand on her shoulder “I didn’t say you were mad. You are acting like you are. So please … explain your situation” he begged her with his eyes.
Sophia took a deep breath. “Look, I told you dreamt this house, but actually I remembered it.”
“You mean you had been to this mansion before?” Shane asked.
“No! But I have a feeling that I was born here, I lived here and I died here” Sophia told, with tears brimming in her eyes.

Shane was pacing up and down and down in the study, the others were watching him in silence. “So” he spoke at last “Sophia, how long have you been getting this … nightmare you told us about?”
“Since I was a little kid” Sophia told wearily “They are not ordinary dreams. I can feel them, they are too real” her voice shook “when I fall into the flames, I can feel myself burning”

“All right now, let’s wrap up this discussion, get something to eat, and do what we are supposed to do – research the history of this palace” Joe told in a voice which everyone knew was the final decision.
They had bread and milk for breakfast and nothing else. After a discussion they decided to go the library.
Sophia fetched her jacket, and silently followed the others. “If daddy was here he would have understood” she thought “he always understands…” This brought tears to her eyes. Controlling herself with effort she tried to keep in track with the other’s conversation.
“… We should go through everything and then talk to that library man, he is about 95, so they say” Joe was saying.
“How do you seem to know everything?” Danny asked in surprise.
“Just a little study bro” Joe grinned.
“I study too” Danny told indigently.
Moni rolled her eyes. Danny gave her a fake punch. “There they go again”, Sophia turned to catch Shane’s eye, to see he was watching her worriedly. She felt a sad tinge in her stomach. Without a second look at him, she walked fast to enter the marble library building.

At the first entrance, Sophia was stunned. The floor on which she was standing was polished as glass. The marble wall had ornate, Roman carvings. The wooden shelves held a sea of priceless books. The sections were engraved in Gold. Yet, the place was deserted.
No, not deserted. A man was bending over the books by the far corner. His hair was gray but his face and his body looked young and strong. Sensing Sophia’s gaze the man straightened. His electric blue eyes scanned her thoughtfully.
Sophia turned at a whistle behind her. The man’s attention also shifted.
“Man, cool place” Danny told.
The others had arrived. Joe went and introduced them with his always – ready smile. Though the man was listening to Joe, his gaze always kept falling on Sophia.
“I am Whittington” The man spoke in a voice which seemed to come from the depth of him “The Rutherford Mansion, now that has a tragedy behind its gorgeous walls”
Joe gave them a glance which meant “Be silent and listen carefully, there’s a tale coming up”
Whittington started “The Lord Rutherford, kind man he was. Yet gullible, anyone can deceive him. Everything was going fine, good old Lady Rutherford and her two children”
“Three children” Sophia corrected him. Joe threw her a “What-did-I-say?” glance.
“Three, yes” Whittington looked surprised “begging your pardon Miss, we can’t forget little Miss Elizabeth can we?”
Moni and Danny flinched at the name.
Whittington went on, not noticing the other’s reactions. “They were a happy family. Miss Elizabeth and her two brothers used to play with me when my father went there to sell his pots. The entire village was grateful to Lord Rutherford, for all the help he’d done. Especially Elizabeth was the apple of their eyes”.


“That is when that evil Rathborne interfered. He said he was a magician. Crooked old man he was. I was a lad of seven. I used to hide when he comes. Sly, ugly Rathborne. He was after the legendary necklace. Crystal necklace. That was the rumor, yet nobody has ever seen it”
Here again, at the mention of crystal necklace everybody’s eyes found Sophia, she ignored them.
“Rathborne gained the trust of the Lord. He used to play with the boys, whom he later tortured demanding the necklace. But little Miss Elizabeth, she never liked him nor trusted him. I used to speak to her. Pretty, kind lass. She looked somewhat like that Miss” He pointed at Sophia with one long finger.
Sophia could sense Moni stiffening beside her. Danny gulped.
The old man continued “At last the crystal was with her, they say. In fury Rathborne set fire to the mansion after killing Lord and Lady Rutherford. That is when he saw scared Elizabeth with the crystal necklace flashing on her throat. And then …”
“And then” Sophia spoke like one in a dream “He called out “The necklace … … give me the necklace you foolish girl” I refused, I hated him. I ran towards the house searching for Mama and Martha. His shadow came chasing me. I wanted to escape. Fire and smoke everywhere blinded my vision. I stumbled and I fell into the flames…..” her voice broke, she swayed.
Shane caught her shoulder and steadied her. Whittington’s eyes widened, Joe went to him and spoke something. Sophia couldn’t hear. Slowly the entire place was becoming dim. Sophia’s head reeled.

“Elizabeth … do not go there, your father is busy with Sir Rathborne, Elizabeth…” Martha’s voice faded away. Silly Martha. She pushed the curtains farther and peeked through the gap in the door. Rathborne was holding something in his hand. Her father was crying out aloud. “No, I swear I am hiding nothing. The crystal is a lost treasure. Leave us” Why is her father begging this ugly old man? The crystal was not lost, should she tell her father that? “NO” her father whispered. What had that old man said? Her father’s eyes accidentally found her and widened in warning.

“She’s coming round”
“Sophia, are you all right?”
Sophia opened her eyes. She was lying on a couch, in the mansion. Her friends were seated around her. A fire was burning merrily in the grate.
“Sophia, are you all right?” Moni repeated the question.
“I feel horrible” Sophia mumbled as she sat up straight.
“You mean you can remember everything as Elizabeth Rutherford?” Danny asked. Sophia nodded.
“But that’s just like the movies” Danny said “you know, the way the heroine remembers her previous birth”
“Shut up Danny” Joe said irritably.
“That’s a possibility” Moni said “Sophia’s previous birth should be Elizabeth Rutherford, or it might be simply a case of split personality”
“You believe all that tosh?” Joe scoffed.
“It’s been scientifically proven” Moni’s voice rose.
“There is nothing wrong with Sophia. She is SANE” Shane told loudly. Sophia shot him a grateful glance.
“Now tell me what you saw right now” Shane asked her. Sophia relieved herself of the burden by telling her friends everything.


“A flash of Elizabeth’s life” Shane concluded softly.
“Yes, but...” Sophia hesitated.
“But what Sophia?” Shane asked her.
“… I. I didn’t only see the events but I was Elizabeth. I felt Elizabeth’s emotions; some of her thoughts didn’t even make sense to me.” Sophia told tearfully.
“You are confused” Joe told her kindly.
“I think” Shane looked as if he was speaking to himself “there is a particular reason for Sophia’s …dreams, as she calls it. There should be a reason for Elizabeth [Sophia] coming back to this place.”
“You believe in previous birth don’t you?” Joe smirked.
“Well, give me another explanation” Shane challenged.
“Shane” Sophia called timidly. He turned to face her. “About the reason, I have a general idea” she told.
Feeling everybody’s attention, she said “When I run from the fire and from Rathborne’s shadow or whatever it was, I can remember searching for a place to hide the crystal. You see, Elizabeth had the necklace in secret. Nobody ever knew that the necklace was with her. She felt it was her duty to protect it.”
“You mean Elizabeth didn’t die with it?” Moni asked sharply.
“No” Sophia told firmly “In the last few minutes of her life Elizabeth placed the crystal somewhere. Even Rathborne couldn’t find it. I am sure that the crystal remains safe – to this day”
“So, do you know where it is?” Danny asked excitedly.
Sophia shook her head. “I just can’t remember that bit.”
Danny looked disappointed.
Joe went near Sophia and patted her back. “We’ll see things tomorrow” he said.
‘I’ll sleep with Sophie today” Moni declared. Sophia nodded her head. Company was welcome. As the lights were put out, she felt Moni’s hand press her arm. “Sweet dreams” she whispered. Sophia felt like laughing.

Her mother was slumped against the wall, crying as if her heart would break. Her brother was lying beside her. Why, what has happened? She went near mother and hugged her waist. “Oh Elizabeth…” her mother wept. “What is wrong mother?” she asked. “That evil old man, he has killed my husband, now torturing my sons…” she wouldn’t say anymore. Elizabeth went near Sesbian and took his face in her arms. Her brother’s face was scarred and bruised. Tears were rolling down his cheek. Grief and anger filled her little heart. She put her face closer to his and let her warm tears flow too.

“Sophia, why are you crying?” Moni asked fearfully.
Sophia opened her eyes and felt her face with her hand. Yes, it was wet.


“Sad dream” she muttered.
“Come on, I’ll make you a cup of tea” she noticed that Moni still sounded fearful.
She walked into the kitchen to see that everyone was already awake. “Moni told that you were crying in your sleep” Danny blurted out. Moni threw her an apologetic glance. “I wasn’t crying” Sophia glared at him.
“This Rutherford story is a real tragedy” Joe told heavily. Sophia remembered the pain and grief of the night’s dream.
Feeling blue even after Monique’s ginger tea, she set out for an early walk in the garden.

The thrush was trying out a new tune, hiding in the blackberry bushes. Violets and Tulips were tossing their heads in sprightly dance. Lavenders in both sides of the sidewalk, the soft gurgle of the water fountain, the sight was heavenly. Beams of light played through the dancing leaves of the trees and broke into colors in the water of the pool. Dew drops stood in the edge of the fresh grass, ready to cool her feet. Butterflies flirted with the pretty flowers which adorned garden. A honey sweet breeze brushed her cheek, whispering secrets in her ear. Sophia found a cool spot under the birch tree and sat down.

“Enjoying the sun?” Shane’s voice broke her trance. He came and sat beside her. Sophia silently watched a squirrel play in the sunshine.
“Cute thing” he remarked. Again silence. The squirrel was now chasing its own bushy tail.
He took her hand in his. Sophia turned to face him.
“Smiley… do you know why your father calls you that way?’ Shane asked. Sophia nodded.
“Because of your charming smile. I call you that because you always smile through any trouble that you face, like a modern Pollyanna.” He spoke, stroking her hand “nowadays that smile has become rare… Remember this Sophie” he lifted his gaze to her eyes “nothing in this world is worth my smiley losing her smile. Nothing”
Sophia smiled, her throat was too tight to speak.
“Now that’s more like it” Shane said brightly. She laughed.
“What is the joke? Please tell us” Moni and the others had come. They sat around the birch tree. Joe had a laptop in his lap.
“Joe, shut that thing down and enjoy the view” Danny lazily waved his hand over the surrounding.
“Do you know what important work I am doing?” Joe demanded.
“Huh – huh. Tell us” Danny said.
“I am researching the Rutherford family tree” Joe said proudly.
“What is the result?” Moni asked interestedly.
“Well, actually Lord Rutherford had a wife Lady Georgia Rutherford, Daughter – Elizabeth, Sons – Albian and Sebastian …”
“Sesbian” Sophia corrected him “he was the one who was tortured”
“Sesbian, yes” Joe continued “that entire family died. But Lord Rutherford had a brother who ran away. Name of Hamish Rutherford.”
“Know anything about him?” Danny asked Sophia. She shook her head. “Elizabeth was too young to know him”

















Even as she said that a phrase jumped in to her mind. “She died young…



“That is what had happened to Elizabeth. Poor little girl. She… no, I had suffered so much. My sufferings were so acute, that even now – as Sophia, I have to go through it. I am Elizabeth… No, I am Sophia. Oh! Who am I?”
“Nonsense, I am Sophia Middleton. I am an archeologist and my only assets in this world are the precious memories of my dad. I am not a re-incarnation and I am perfectly SANE” She said to herself firmly. Gathering herself, she listened to Joe.
“This Hamish Rutherford’s descendants still survive” he was saying.
“Did you say they still live?” Danny asked eagerly.
“Yes” Joe said triumphantly “and the best news is, Hamish Rutherford’s great-grandson is living just a few miles away from this place”
“Then let’s go meet him” Danny said excitedly.
“What for?” Moni asked bewildered.
“Well, you know” Danny shrugged “To have a chat. Maybe he would know something about this ‘Elizabeth’ problem we are having”
“In case you have forgotten” Joe said coldly “the main reason why we came here is to research. So meeting the Rutherford’s descendant is to file a report for our work”
“Oh” Danny did seem to have forgotten about the project.
As they got to their feet, Sophia shivered slightly as the wind brushed past.
“We should probably get our jackets, it’s getting chilly” Moni told with a sympathetic look at Sophia.
Sophia smiled to express her thanks, but somehow she had a feeling her shivers had nothing to do with the weather.

“Well, here goes nothing” Danny told as he rang the door bell. The others waited outside the flat.
The door opened. A young man stood before them. Dark and lean, he looked quite handsome. His hair was gelled and slicked back. He was wearing a black T-shirt and jeans. “You should be the archeologists” He smiled showing his close-set pearly whites. His voice possessed a silky quality.
As usual, Joe quickly introduced them. They were led into a moderately furnished living room. Sophia sank into a couch beside Moni. She could see that Moni was also attracted by that guy.
“I am Laurence Rutherford” he said “Is there any way in which I could be of any assistance to you?”
“Man, he speaks like my grandfather” Danny whispered. Sophia suppressed a giggle.
























“He looks very young. What could he know about his old ancestors?” Shane whispered.
Joe turned behind and frowned at them. Aloud he said “Laurence, we are very interested in your family history, is there anything you know about Lord Rutherford and his life?”
“Well” Laurence smiled charmingly “I can’t tell you more than what Whittington said”
“You know him?” Danny asked.
“I am a book worm, I often visit that library. So yes, I got chummy with that old guy” Laurence replied.
“Laurence, you look educated and sensible, so” Joe hesitated “as far as you know, is there anything weird in your family?”
“Weird?” Laurence looked startled.
“We are facing a problem…” Joe looked sideways at Sophia. She gave jerk of her head, which meant “go on”.
Joe launched into story, not leaving out anything.
Laurence sat taking in the story. His dark, melancholy eyes wouldn’t move past Sophia. He sat gazing at her. She felt very self conscious.
“We can’t understand head or tail of this business” Joe was saying wearily.
“I must say you have been quite clever” Laurence told.
“Huh?” Joe looked blank.
“You have guessed the reason for Elizabeth’s return” Laurence said in a hushed voice “the crystal necklace. We know that Elizabeth died to protect it. She has come back for the same purpose.”
“But why? Do you mean to say that there is still danger for the necklace?” Moni asked.
“Yes, the danger has become more pronounced than ever. Because...” Laurence leant forward “Rathbourne still survives.”
“Impossible” Joe said.
“Nothing is Impossible” Laurence said firmly “Rathbourne is an immortal magician. He knew black magic. I think his body was burnt to ashes by the fire. But his soul still survives. It is still in the search for the necklace”
“So what am I supposed to do?” Sophia asked.
“Simple” Laurence said smoothly “We find the necklace before Rathbourne’s soul does”
“But I can’t remember where Elizabeth hides it” Sophia explained.
“Try harder” Laurence suggested.
“Excuse me? I don’t want those dreams. I don’t want that necklace. I don’t want to be Elizabeth” Sophia said hotly.
“I’m sorry. I just wanted to make sure that Elizabeth’s wish is fulfilled.” He said apologetically, with an angelic smile.
“That’s all right” Sophia said graciously. She was taken up by Laurence’s smile.
“Well, then thanks for spending your time with us.” Joe rose to leave. Sophia and the others followed suit.
“Oh, I am so interested in your research” Laurence told sincerely “will you inform me if there is any progress?”
“Sure” Joe agreed. Shane frowned from behind his back.

Munching on pizza, they sat around the fireplace of the drawing room.
“You are truly a wonderful cook Moni” Danny said thickly.
“Well, that trip was worth it” Moni said.
“Worth it? You mean you believe that Rathbourne’s ghost is still searching for the necklace?” Joe asked incredulously.
“Otherwise what could be the reason for our ‘Elizabeth’ problem?” Moni asked.
“Rathbourne’s soul is still present. The quicker we find the necklace the better” Danny said strongly.
“What do you think Sophie?” Joe turned to her.
“I think Laurence was right” Sophia said slowly “I guess we have to protect this necklace.”
“Eghacly whach I chay” Danny said through a mouthful of onion and cheese.
“Danny please mind your manners” Moni said disgustedly.
Shane yawned. This made every one yawn too. “Nothing catchy as a yawn” he said grinning.
“Good night everybody” Moni said as she accompanied Sophia to the bed room.
After getting into bed Sophia looked out of the window. The moon was shining in the inky black sky. A kind of bluish brown halo was formed around it. The clouds near the moon looked like silver ships. Moon beams fell on her pillow.
Usually the moon used to make her dreamy. But now… in the background of deep woods where wild dogs were howling for the dead …. She felt quite scared. Even the moon seemed quite sinister. Sophia closed her eyes and tried to fall asleep.

She sat writing in her diary. She had the necklace in her throat. “Elizabeth…” her brothers called her “come to the garden, see what spring has done to our roses” She hurriedly hid her book in the cupboard and tucked the necklace under some clothes. Wearing her flower patterned pink skirt, she rushed out. The roses had blossomed out; their fragrance was sweeter and heavier than any earthly perfume. The rare purple rose she had planted was in front, crowned as the queen of roses.
The scene changes.
Martha and mother were weeping over the dead body of Albian. His face wasn’t disfigured like Sesbian’s. He had been killed using dark magic. The roses from their garden were used to adorn Albian’s coffin. But Elizabeth’s rose remained unplucked.






















“That rose will carry memories” Elizabeth thought “it will carry my memory of the grief and pain in my life”

“You are a famous sleeper Sophie. Do you know that it is almost 11’o clock?”
Sophie opened her eyes to see Moni bending over her with a smile. She stretched and got out of bed. Her entire body was aching as if somebody had beaten her with a stick.
She made her way to the hall. “Good morning, or is it good afternoon?” Shane asked. “It is too late for breakfast Sophie, why don’t you have lunch?” Moni asked. Sophia nodded to express her agreement.
They had lunch in the garden, sitting under the shade of the trees. Moni’s Macaroni and cheese had improved a great deal.
“I have a feeling that we should visit the library again. We might find some interesting books” Shane said.
“I don’t call books interesting” Danny said.
“I agree with Shane” Sophia told, ignoring Danny.
“All right then. Let’s go” Joe got to his feet.

Sophia walked through the row of shelves which seemed as if they would never end. The sound of her feet echoed dismally into the silence. Joe’s eyebrows had creased together and formed a line in his forehead, in his effort to translate ancient writing. Shane was reading a book which looked so fragile that she feared it would disappear with a sneeze. Moni was taking notes from a big leather bound book. Danny was sitting with a book too, but his eyes were half closed. Sophia was sure that he was day dreaming.
As she walked, she went on reading the titles of the books.
Anthologea Graeca… …Epigraphische Studien… …Archeologie Au Levant… …Grimoire.
She paused. Taking the last two books, she went to the table where her friends were sitting. Looking at the books in her hand, Shane gave a low whistle “This library, it’s a treasure trove”
“Why do you want that ancient book of magic ‘Grimoire’ for?” Danny asked.
“Number one: to get information about the crystal necklace” Sophia replied earnestly “all along the story I have a feeling that there is a missing link. There is something we can’t understand. That necklace is very powerful. The entire history is based on it. So finding more about its powers can make it easier for us to find it.
Number two: If Rathbourne really was a dark magician, his name is bound to come up somewhere.”
“You are the boss” Danny looked impressed.
“But that thing is really difficult to translate” Joe said wisely.
“I’m not giving up” Sophia said firmly. She took a paper and pencil and opened the book. Silence fell over the place again. Nothing was heard except the shuffling of pages, the scratching of pencils and Danny’s deep sighs.

Sophia looked at the watch, almost 7’o clock. They had spent hours in the library. She looked at her notes page. She had managed to translate the odd symbols [the grammar was not really correct], but the result was very interesting. The book itself was interesting. It contained spells and curses, cures for illness, myths and legends and so on. The fact that startled Sophia was that she found the necklace under the “evil talismans” chapter.
“Guys, I’ve struck gold” she announced.
“Tell us” Joe said eagerly.
Sophia started to read.
“This crystal necklace is classified as a very evil and dangerous talisman. It has a power to abduct and brainwash somebody. If the proper spells are cast on it, it can make its owner invincible. The person who wears it for a long time turns into its slave. The brilliant luster of the crystal will hold your mind in a trance and will not let you think of anything else. History has seen many people who have been willing to kill their loved ones or sacrifice themselves for the necklace. The person who wears that crystal suffers, as his soul is never allowed to rest. There is an ancient curse on that crystal:
“Those who want the crystal for personal gain shall never survive;





those who are infatuated by the crystal shall be the victims of superfluous immortality”
As it usually happens, this necklace became the property of an innocent family, the Rutherfords. Some time ago, there was a fight between the two brothers, Lord Charles Rutherford and Hamish Rutherford. Later Hamish ran away, and the necklace was believed to be lost. After a peaceful period, Hamish Rutherford’s father in law, Rathbourne came to the lord and said that he wanted to make peace between the brothers. He was a dark magician. Rathbourne gained the trust and friendship of the Lord. Later he tortured and killed the family, demanding the necklace. As his plan failed and the necklace wasn’t found, Rathbourne cursed fire on the mansion with Lord Rutherford’s daughter inside. The mystery of the decade comes here. Although Rathbourne was a skilled magician, the fire he cursed was the end of him as well, due to an unknown cause. The rumor goes that Rathbourne’s ghost still haunts the mansion in search of the crystal”
Sophia looked up from the sheet. All of them were listening spellbound. She saw fear and awe mingled in their eyes.
“This answers all our questions” Moni said contentedly.
“That’s right. Elizabeth Rutherford was infatuated by the crystal. She did not reveal that she had the necklace even though her family was dying. But Elizabeth gave her life, so that the crystal will not fall into wrong hands. Her soul is still present here. So is Rathbourne’s. The reason for Elizabeth’s return as Sophia is to protect the necklace. So that is our main job now” Shane summarized.
“We need to recruit Laurence in this too. And then start hunting for the necklace at once.” Sophia said.
“One more thing, Rathbourne is Hamish’s father-in-law” Joe said.
“And now we need to get back to the mansion. I feel so slee..e..py” Danny yawned before he could finish the word.
“We have collected all the details needed to finish our project. Moni made attractive pages about the architectural importance of the mansion. Shane wound up the history from the14th century. Danny covered the village story and the geography. I just listed all the rare findings and ornaments that we discovered and classified them. And Sophia did the myths and legends side. All that remains is to put it together, which we can do tomorrow.” Joe told proudly.
“We have the project in the bag. A+!” Moni punched the air.
“Are you coming or not?” Danny was already halfway out.
Putting everything pell-mell into her bag, Sophia followed Moni to the car.

Sophia remained silent till they reached the mansion, for her throat felt sore. Her head was throbbing badly. Her fingers were numb when she tried to unfasten the door.
“Are you ill Sophia? You look pale.” Shane said worriedly.








“I’m tired, that’s all” she reassured him.











“Then go and take rest. I’ll send dinner up” Shane told kindly.
But when he went up again he found Sophia fast asleep on her bed. Shane arranged her head comfortably on the pillow and switched off the light. Her skin was hot to the touch. A stubborn brown fringe of hair fell on her face. She looked thinner and wearier than ever. Her cheeks were hollowed. The moon beams that fell on her face showed how pale and disturbed she looked, even in her sleep. Shane stood watching for a bit. Sophie’s buttoned eyelids never opened. Then he removed himself with a sigh. “Poor kid” he murmured.

“Mother! Martha! Somebody help me!” Elizabeth screamed. Flames were licking the walls. Her room was blackening. Her skirt was singed. Elizabeth’s skin was stinging from the overwhelming heat. Rathbourne stood laughing at the stairs. Suddenly he caught sight of the necklace in her throat. His face changed. “The necklace… give me the necklace you foolish girl” he shouted.
In a flash Elizabeth made up her mind. She was not going to let him have the necklace, even if she had to die for it. She turned and ran towards the fire, inside the room instead of down the stairs. With a yell of fury, Rathbourne also jumped into the flames. Elizabeth dodged the burning pieces with incredible strength. She could see Rathbourne’s shadow chasing her, his arms spread out like an eagle. She narrowly missed getting hit by a part of the broken ceiling. But Rathbourne was not so lucky. Elizabeth heard a cry behind her but she never turned to look back.
She had reached her room. Elizabeth looked around. A huge picture frame caught her eyes. She rushed towards it. In her hurry she did not notice a burning piece of wood. It fell on her arm. Her arm burned and scorched angrily. Her skin blackened before her eyes. Elizabeth screamed.
She screamed as the pain began to build, till her entire body was burning.
“Sophia…. Sophia!”
Sophia opened her eyes with great difficulty. All her friends were crowded around her. She groaned and put a hand on her head. Her head was aching fit to burst. She felt hot and feverish.
“Why did you scream?” Danny panted. He had run all the way.
Sophia started to sob. For the first time, she was scared. “What is it?” Shane asked anxiously.
“I... I am scared Shane” she whispered.
“Why?”
“Every time I dream of falling into the fire, my entire body burns, and the pain blinds me. Now my dreams are taking longer and I suffer more. I wake up at the right time. Suppose … I don’t wake up? What if I really burn to death? What if I… What if I die before I wake?” Her voice broke.

With an anguished sob Moni threw herself on Sophia. Danny’s eyes were misty. Even Joe was moved. Moni hugged Sophia, their tears mingled as they flowed. Shane stroked her hair lovingly. All the loving words in this world aren’t enough to express the atmosphere among the friends. There was true love and friendship between them, something so pure and strong.
Each one of them found a special way of telling Sophia that they would be there for her, forever. Shane stroked her head, by which he was telling her that he cared for her more than anything else in this world. Moni cried hugging Sophia, meaning that she would be a part of her, always. Danny held her hand, trying to say that he would be with her all along the way. Joe was there for her to lean on, meaning that he would support her through whatever comes.
Sophia wiped her tears and straightened. “Why should I be scared?” She thought “I am the luckiest girl on earth, for I have true friends who will take care of me”
Moni wiped her tears too. She felt Sophia’s forehead with her hand. Sophia could tell by the look in her face that the temperature was high. “She has fever” Moni announced.
Shane and Moni exchanged worried glances. Danny went and got some aspirin and water. Sophia’s sore throat welcomed the cool liquid.
“Just call us if you want anything” Joe told her kindly.
“Don’t worry Sophie” Danny said in the smallest voice ever be heard from Daniel Parker “you are going to be fine”
Sophia nodded. He switched off the light.
She closed her eyes. But sleep was far from her that night.

“You look terrible”
That was Moni’s greeting as Sophia entered the living room. Sophia had spent the entire night sleepless, for she was afraid to close her eyes. She didn’t want to have that horrible nightmare again. Her body still burned. Her right arm was also stinging, as if her nerves were on fire, just the place where Elizabeth got hurt. But there wasn’t any visible sign of damage.
Sophia gently sipped Moni’s ginger tea. She felt a sudden warmness flow down to her tummy. “Like it?” Moni asked. “Great” Sophia croaked.
Rain started to pour. Soon they had to switch on the lights for it was so dark. Heavy rain pelted on the windows. Thunder rumbled and lightening flashed. Sophia shivered.
“What shall we do now?” Danny asked.
“Well, I had planned this day for adding the finishing touch to our project, but considering the situation of Sophia, I think we should …” Joe stretched.
“Fool about” Danny finished for him.
“What about a game of Snap?” Moni asked. Her suggestion was welcomed with enthusiasm.
They sat around the fire place and dealt the cards.







Sophia soon lost all her cards and sat back to watch. Shane gave up in a few minutes too. Joe was planning his game strategically, yet his cards seemed less than the other two. Moni seemed to be swiping the cards off the desk.








“Snap” Danny beat the table with his fist. “Foul! You sneaked a look at the card” Moni objected.


















“No I didn’t”





















“Yes you did”
Sophia was sitting in the sofa, hugging her knees. She rested her head in the cushion and yawned. She felt very sleepy. Her eyes closed automatically.

The second floor…She was running… Flames and smoke everywhere… A shadow chasing her… …a muffled cry… The picture frame, made with gold. Its designs shining in the fiery light… …She removes the necklace… …… … … …. Her body was burning… Her dress catches fire…
“Look at Sophia!”
“Sophia!”
She woke up. Sophia was now lying on the stone cold floor.
“You sort of twisted and jerked” Danny explained “and fell”
Shane gave his hand for her to get to get up. She sat on the sofa and rubbed her forehead. There was a bump where she had hit the floor.
“The picture frame… second floor” Those words repeated themselves in Sophia’s head, as if someone was giving directions.
“I have a vague idea where the necklace is” Sophia said out loud.
“You do?” Danny asked jumping up.
Sophia nodded.
“So what are we waiting for?” Danny cried.
Shane silenced him with a look, which obviously meant “not know, when Sophia feels better”
The doorbell rang. “Who is it at this time?” Moni asked surprised. Joe opened the door to see a wet and dripping Laurence. He looked drenched to the bone.
“Laurence, what is it?” Moni asked her surprise doubled.
Laurence was in a state of agitation. “You know the dwarf who lives nearby?”
“You mean John”
“That’s the guy. His house has been struck by lightning. John is all right. But I wouldn’t say the same about his wife and his cottage. As I soon as he informed me I said I’d fetch help, and here I am”
“Oh dear, We’ll come at once” Moni made to stand to up.
“You three go, I’ll stay with Sophie” Shane said.
“Why, what’s wrong with her?” Laurence asked.
“She’s ill” Shane answered shortly.
“Well then, let her stay. You four come with me” Laurence said coolly.
“Do you mean to say that we should leave her alone?” There was a steely glint in Shane’s eyes.
“You understand that John needs maximum help, as soon as possible, right?” Now there was a bite of impatience in Laurence’s manner.
“We’ll all go” Sophia said hurriedly.
“Are you insane?”
“Your temperature is at 102”
“Then you four go. I will be all right till you come back. I am not a baby. I can take care of myself” Sophia told.
“She’s right” Joe said.
Yet Shane looked slightly uncomfortable. “Now that you have made a decision, shall we make a move?” Laurence asked loudly.
As they reached the door, pulling on their raincoats, Danny addressed Sophia “Don’t go investigating on your own okay?” she nodded. Laurence cast a curious look. Then it slowly changed into comprehension. Before Sophia could say another word, Laurence turned and disappeared into the curtain of rainwater.

Sophia watched the clock tick. The red hand seemed to be moving slowly to her. The rain was getting heavier by the second. The rumbling of thunder sounded like the menacing growls of a bear. The mansion’s scary sides were thrown to light by the flashes of lightning. Sophia felt shivers running through her spine. The white curtains swayed in the wind, making horrible shadows. Mice and bats made shrill noises.
Sophia watched the coals burn in the fire. The flames danced to the tune of the wind. Something rose up behind her. Sophia watched in fear. There was a sudden noise.
“Eek”
A mouse shot past her. It was only the shadow of a mouse, magnified in the wall that had frightened her. Sophia felt quite ashamed of herself. She had frightened the poor mouse by screeching. “What a coward I am?” she thought “afraid of a mouse. Danny would tease me to death if he knew”
She picked up a book and tried to get absorbed in it. Oddly, she found it a very hard job. Her mind kept wandering in circles. She would read a line, and then her thoughts would drift away and finally arrive at Elizabeth Rutherford.
Sophia shut her book with a decisive snap. She wished that she hadn’t chosen to read a detective fiction. She felt even more tensed.
The clock showed that the time was nearing midnight. “It’s time for Cinderella to become a princess” she thought “and time for Sophia to become Elizabeth” As soon as she thought that she felt scared. She felt cross with herself for having such ridiculous thoughts.
Thunder crashed. A streak of lightening illuminated the hall, and sharply showed the damaged stairs that led to the second floor.
“Why don’t I have a look?” she thought. “Elizabeth died there. Maybe, just maybe the hiding place had something to do with the picture frame”
Her legs moved without asking her permission. She subconsciously lighted a candle, and went to the stairs. Before she knew it, she was halfway up. Now a new firmness had taken over Sophia. She acted as if somebody was instructing her. Some inner power was guiding her.

The stairs were black and filthy. Once or twice she tripped over the nettles that had grown over the marble. Sophia tested every step gingerly with the tip of her feet before stepping. Miraculously, the steps were strong. At last the stairs came to an end. The floor and the ceiling were black as soot. Practically everything was burned. The ceiling was badly damaged. Everything was dead there. There weren’t any plants or moss in the building, not even a bird’s nest, which was very strange. Everything was deadly quiet.
A strong wave of emotions washed over her. There was something in the atmosphere. Something that invited her and at the same time frightened her. She searched for something alive… some moving thing. A roach, a toad, something to relieve her of her fear, something to show that she herself was alive…
A cobweb caught her attention. In the middle of the web was a pale, rather nondescript spider. It didn’t look like a real spider. Not alive enough. It was more like a ghost of a spider. It looked as if it wanted to leave, but was caught in its own trap. And now it was stuck halfway between life and death. “How cruel” Sophia thought “But life is cruel. Elizabeth is stuck the same way. She is still present here. I can feel her. This house, as faithful houses do, still keeps the ghost of her memories within itself.”
Again that curious power took control of her. Holding the candle aloft, she walked into the room. “This is it” Sophia thought “The necklace is somewhere here”.
The gigantic picture frame that Sophia had seen in her dreams was hanging in the opposite wall. Its picture was black and burned. But its ornate carvings were good as new. The golden designs shined in the candle light. Sophia stretched out a hand to examine the design. Golden runners… or were they snakes... no, just plants and leaves… ran along the corners. Golden flowers had bloomed here and there. Playing children, animals and birds were visible on close examination, in the places where the runners entwined. On the right corner the goddess Flora sat with her beauty and elegance. She was wearing a flowing dress of closely attached flowers. Her hair was made into a bun, and she was wearing a crown made of roses. Her lips had a radiant smile and in her hand she held a flower with many petals. Sophie let her finger trace the runners and then the goddess. Her fingers lingered near the flower the goddess was holding. She stood watching out of admiration.
“Hortus immortales caeli” she whispered the words which were engraved in the frame.
Without thinking she pressed the middle part of the flower. There was a curious chinking noise. Sophia’s fingers found something. A sharp edge cut her skin. She felt with her hand. Some sort of string… no, chain… Heart racing, she pulled it out. The crystal necklace, splendid and beautiful than ever, lay on her palm.
An irrational terror filled her. Her hands shivered as she held the crystal close. It was reflecting a thousand colors. The crystal itself was made of dazzling colors, yet it had no particular color. The necklace burned with power. One could sense the immediate feeling of having entered a magical world. Light generated from within the crystal. It glowed in the dark. A drop of blood from her cut fell on the crystal. At once the crystal reflected the blood, rich and red. Its beauty alarmed her. Sophia felt afraid. The inner voice which had guided her so long was now warning her.
Something moved behind her. She turned her head so fast that she got a crick. Nothing.






















She felt thousand times scared with the necklace in her hand. Her instant feeling was to smash the crystal.
Just then she heard a noise. Something like the sound of boots… A shadow rose step by step. Sophia froze. “It must be another mouse” she tried to calm herself “but mice don’t walk with two feet” Now the shadow had become clearer. It was definitely that of a man’s. “It’s Rathbourne” Sophia thought “he is coming to get the necklace and kill me” She opened her mouth to scream … but no voice came out.
The sound of boots echoed throughout the place. “Wait a second” she puzzled “Ghosts don’t wear boots” The thought that it was an alive human that was coming up gave her an immediate sense of relief. She felt more confident. Clutching the necklace tightly, she moved the candle so that the stairs would be illuminated.
The shadow which had been testing her patience had fully appeared, accompanied with the body that it belonged to.

Laurence Rutherford stood there, his clothes dripping wet. “Oh Laurence is it you?” Sophia asked relieved.
“Yes, it is me”
Sophia didn’t like his tone. She felt nervous. Laurence’s eyes were shining. His lips were curved into a cat like smile.
“We’ll go down and talk” Sophia made a step towards the stairs but Laurence stood blocking the stairways. “Not so fast Sophia, or should I say Elizabeth?” he said silkily.
Sophia’s hair stood on end. She clutched the necklace tighter. She stood watching Laurence uncomprehendingly.
“You got scared believing all that tosh about Rathbourne’s ghost?” He scorned.
Sophia felt her temper rise. “I knew it was a man coming, a ghost doesn’t wear boots” she said hotly.
“Very clever of you” Laurence mocked.
This wasn’t the Laurence Sophia had seen that day. Her heart beat strangely. Sophia looked at him as if asking for some kind of explanation.
“You still cannot understand, you fool? There is no Rathbourne’s ghost. That is a story I made up to make you get me the necklace. Whittington and I have been trying to find that necklace for 5 years. When we heard a group of archeologists were coming, Whittington said he’d keep an eye on you. At first when I heard your story I thought you were lying. But after I met you personally I was convinced you were telling the truth. I told you a story of Rathbourne’s ghost and I tried to win your confidence. Today was an accident. I got suspicious and wheedled the truth out of Danny. I managed to give your friends the slip and here I am”
Sophia listened, her mind numb with shock. “But… what do you want with the crystal?” she asked, her voice quivering.
“Isn’t it obvious?” Laurence said incredulously “The necklace is thousands of years old. Its value has been multiplied by the years. I will practically be a millionaire”
Sophia stood, her mind confused. Laurence explanation has brought a part of the story to light. But the rest had gone deeper into confusion.
“Elizabeth was real, and there was no doubt about the necklace’s power. If Rathbourne’s ghost is not here, then why did she take the necklace? Has she fallen neatly into Laurence’s trap? What is he going to do with her?”
The last thought made her more nervous. Laurence held out a hand “give me the necklace, and you shall not get hurt”
“You cannot hurt me” Sophia said loudly.
“Give it to me” he hissed. Sophia backed away into the room, the crystal in her hand. With an impatient snarl Laurence lunged towards her. Sophia was caught unawares. In his force, she dropped the candle. The flame fell on the floor, and in a few minutes the place caught fire.
Sophia used all her strength and shook off Laurence. She didn’t want to hand over the necklace. The fire had spread quickly over the place. The heat brought the familiar stinging sensation to her skin. Her first instinct was to save the crystal. ‘Elizabeth… this is what she died for. This is how she died. But wait… Save the necklace … why?... what did she care for it? The clever thing is get out of this place alive.”
“Laurence let’s get out of here” she bellowed. The flames seared like furious serpents. He didn’t seem to listen. He tried to get the crystal from her hand. She shoved it into his palm impatiently. “Let’s get out of here NOW” she yelled. The floor under Sophia’s feet had become hot. She stamped her feet. Laurence didn’t seem to be listening now that he had got the necklace. He was looking at it disbelievingly. His eyes were held in a spell. Sophia pulled him by the arm and rushed towards the stairs. She had barely made two steps, a flaming piece grazed her cheek. She bent double with pain. She heard Laurence yell, but couldn’t see. The surroundings faded and a familiar vision unfurled before her eyes.
“Elizabeth… Elizabeth”
Sophia slumped to the floor.
“Somebody help me” Elizabeth screamed. Her dress had caught fire. Her fingers burnt before her eyes. She screamed. The pain started to increase. There was no way of escape. Fire was advancing menacingly. Tears rolled down her blackened cheek. Her fingers held the heart shaped locket mother had given with love. What did Rathbourne know of love? The little girl’s eyes were filled with fear, agony and anger. Her little heart burned to destroy the crystal, even if it took an eternity… …

“Sophia!... Sophia!” a shrill girl voice.
The fire…crystal…
“She’ll be okay” Sophia dimly heard someone say.
“Okay? How can I be okay? I am dead” she thought
“I sure hope so”
Sophia opened her eyelids gently. A blurry view of her friends. She blinked. A background of a white room showed. A man wearing a white coat stood by her… a doctor. If so was she in a hospital?
Her friends approached her bed, their faces full of hope. Sophia smiled wearily. There was some kind of paste applied in her right cheek which was stinging badly. Her arms and legs were too heavy to move. Her left ankle hurt too.
“How are you feeling now?” The doctor asked.
“Confused” she told the truth.
“Don’t think too much and tire yourself” he advised “you are improving greatly” With that he instructed her friends to leave. She wanted to say him not to do that, but she felt tired. She decided to follow the doctor’s advice. With a sigh she rested her head on the pillow.



5 DAYS LATER

Sophia was out of the hospital. She was sitting in an armchair, in the garden of Hotel Mauve. Her friends sat in similar armchairs around her. Sophia gently sipped orange juice. The bruises in her body was half healed. She had broken her left ankle and now it was bandaged. There was a black, disfiguring burn in her right cheek.
The days she had spent in the hospital, Sophia had thought a great deal. She carefully went over the facts till she arrived at an explanation.
She put out a hand to adjust the shady, straw hat she was wearing. Turning to look at Shane, she asked “tell me your story, how did you find me?”
“You first tell us what happened in the mansion”
“No, yours first, but make it short”
“All right” Shane said “On the way, Laurence had casually questioned Danny whether the necklace had been found. Danny had said that you had a vague idea where it was and that he was afraid whether you would go sleuthing on your own. When we reached John’s cottage we saw that Mrs. John needed medical help at once. We immediately got our car and made for the hospital, with John too. The rain had stopped at that time, so Laurence said that he’d stay back in the cottage. He said he wanted to check out whether the cottage was damaged. Sounds lame, but we weren’t in the mood to argue.




All along the way I was feeling uncomfortable at leaving you alone. I decided to go back to the mansion. I told the others to carry on. But Moni and Danny wanted to come with me. We were feeling very uneasy. We stopped the car and walked back towards the mansion, leaving Joe and John to go the hospital. As we neared the place we saw that the mansion had caught fire. We were shocked. As we rushed upstairs we got a second shock to see Laurence also. We saw that you were unconscious and badly burned. But Laurence… was dead. His head was bloody. We managed to bring you out. We did want to take Laurence’s body but it was too dangerous to go back inside. So we called the ambulance and the fire brigade. We got you safely to the hospital and… well that’s it” he finished rather bluntly.
“It’s your turn now” Danny told.
Sophia told what happened that day in the mansion. When she finished there was a silence. Moni shivered slightly. “Puzzling” Joe said. Sophia smiled a little. “No it’s not” she said. Catching her friend’s looks she started to explain.

“The necklace was hidden in Elizabeth’s bedroom by someone. As years passed everyone gradually forgot about the necklace. Hamish Rutherford knew about its presence. He informed his father-in-law Rathbourne. Rathbourne tortured the family asking the necklace. Elizabeth was too small to understand. She was an innocent kid, a victim of the necklace’s power. She felt it was her duty to protect the necklace, yet she sometimes felt an absurd feeling of guilt. As his efforts were wasted Rathbourne set fire to the mansion with Elizabeth inside. Just then he saw the necklace in Elizabeth’s neck. He lunged towards her, into the fire. This is where we made a mistake. Remember the curse on the necklace?
Those who want the crystal for personal gain shall never survive;





those who are infatuated by the crystal shall be the victims of superfluous immortality
Rathbourne wanted the crystal necklace for personal gain, so he died. Elizabeth was its victim; it was Elizabeth who suffered superfluous immortality, not Rathbourne. And the second mistake is, we thought Elizabeth wanted to protect the necklace. But she only wanted to destroy the crystal. In the last moment of her life she realized the truth. She wanted to destroy the crystal at once, but she was dying. So she vowed that she would destroy the crystal for wrecking her life, even if it took an eternity…”
There was a silence.
“So is the crystal destroyed?” Joe asked.
Sophia looked questioningly towards Shane. “As the necklace was in Laurence’s hand it must have been burnt” he said.
“Why don’t we take a look?” she asked.
“go back there?…” Danny seemed uncertain.
“Why not?” Sophia asked “I am not Elizabeth any more, just Sophia. Elizabeth’s soul was rested when the crystal was destroyed”
“We need to collect our things which may have been safe from the fire” Joe told “altogether I think it is a good idea”

Sophia looked at Rutherford mansion. Its gorgeous walls were damaged beyond repair. Part of the second floor had collapsed. There was nothing remaining, only the ashes.
“Good thing we have its photos” Danny said “as a memory of an artistic Victorian building”
Leaving the others to examine the building, Sophia went to her favorite spot, the garden. The soft gurgle of the water fountain greeted her. The wind swept her hair over her eyes. Birds were singing softly. She walked further.
The rich red-purple rose had wilted. Its petals had fallen. The stem had turned into an ugly brown color. By the looks of it, it was the end of the plant’s life.
“Shame” Moni spoke. She had come up behind Sophia. “I was thinking of sending a sample to the Archeological research Department”
“You couldn’t have done that” Sophia whispered “This Rose carried Elizabeth’s memory. It signified the presence of her soul. Now it has faded, for Elizabeth is gone, she is no more. This mansion is nothing but an old ruin now.”….



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 5 comments.


.king. SILVER said...
on Sep. 20 2012 at 4:19 pm
.king. SILVER, Yeux Bien Tres Bien, Other
9 articles 4 photos 569 comments

Favorite Quote:
( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)

Very amazing and Decent writing, I wish I could write like you, You keep your readers' attention; I could'nt have done better, 5/5!!!!

on Jul. 7 2012 at 2:06 am
Madu_Bala BRONZE, Colombo, Other
4 articles 1 photo 31 comments

Favorite Quote:
To unpathed waters, undreamed shores - Shakespeare

What can be more tragic than to feel the boundlessness of the surrounding beauty and to be able to see in it its underlying mystery... and yet to be aware of your own inability to express these large feelings… Isaak Levitan

thanks

 


on Jul. 2 2012 at 6:13 am
compassion GOLD, Nowhere, Other
12 articles 17 photos 153 comments

Favorite Quote:
Expect to have hope rekindled,expect your prayers to be answered in wondrous ways! The dry seasons in life do not last,the spring rains will come again.

interesting!write more.The style is beautiful:)

on Apr. 12 2012 at 1:58 pm
awesome book.shood right more!LOVED IT!

on Apr. 12 2012 at 1:54 pm
at a awesome book.....RIGHT MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!