Breathless

Author's note: I was inspired to write this story because being in high school, I have a front row seat to all...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I was inspired to write this story because being in high school, I have a front row seat to all of the cliques (and all the drama they create). I believe that the entire high school food chain of populars vs. unpopulars and all the sub-levels that go into those two categories are a mind set that takes up residence because we let it continue. I hope that Lexi's story, and all the editing that I can't help myself from doing in free time, sends the message that popularity and following the crowd can be a really stupid thing to do. Individuality is something to be treasured.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 Next »

Chapter Four

The drama didn’t start until the next day in my second class. It was three minutes until the bell rang (yes, I was counting!) when my phone vibrated. I waited until the teacher’s back was turned before I pulled it out of my pocket and read the text.

Maci: stay away from blake
Me: why?
Maci: heather just told me hes interested in you

My heart skipped a beat. Really?! Wow! I couldn’t believe it. I practically leapt from my desk when the bell rang, but I kept my walk cool and casual when I got mixed in with the people flooding the hall.
In the cafeteria I sat next to Maci and tried to act normal.
“Did you get my text? Stay away.” Maci repeated.
“I know, I know.” I didn’t promise anything.
“By the way, there’s a new girl named Traci, and she wants to join our group.”
“Interview her and get back to me,” I told her. You see, our group would run like this. I only made the BIG decisions. Maci was vice president. She interviewed girls who wanted to get in our group, handled the gossip, and kept all of our followers in line. It was extremely efficient and worked out just fine for everyone.
“Hey, you know what?” I asked.
“What?”
“I think you need to check out if the rumor about Blake is true. He seemed kind of nice the other day. Just. . .stressed.” My mind replayed the locker incident.
“To your left!” Maci whispered. I checked my peripheral vision and saw Blake walking up to me.
“Hey,” he smiled as he walked by. I blushed and looked away. Unfortunately, Maci saw.
“Look, that guy is a freak. As vice president, I have to advise you to stay away.”
“Ok.”
“And as your friend,” she raised her eyebrows.
“Ok, ok, ok.” What she didn’t know was that my fingers were crossed behind my back.

After school, I was sitting on the bus, listening to my iPod, when a finger tapped my shoulder from behind. I turned around and was instantly three inches from Blake’s face.
“Saw you at lunch today,” he grinned.
“Yeah,” I said as my head spun.
“And you ride my bus.”
“Yeah.”
“Well I certainly got lucky.” The bus jumped along with my heart. Finally, my brain kicked into action.
“You just move here?” I asked.
“Yeah. My mom got fired from her job so we moved in with my grandma.”
“Lucky grandma,” I smiled flirtatiously. He looked away and I studied his face. His straight nose, his soft dimples, his blue eyes. . . OH MY GOSH, is he looking at me?! Look away, look away, LOOK AWAY!
He laughed as the bus pulled up to his house, “See you later, Blondie.” I watched him amble across his yard until the bus pulled me out of sight. How could he have ever deserved a horrible rumor? He was so sweet and nice. He even gave me a nickname! Blondie. The sweetest word I’d ever heard.
Maci had to be set straight. That was certain. She had to be told the truth before the rumor caused someone to get hurt.

That night I got online and chatted with Maci.

Me: do you think “Blondie” is an ok nickname?
Maci: . . .
Me: blake
Maci: NO
Me: give him a chance! he is really sweet!
Maci: NO
Me: common maci!
fuzzlepuff0237 has gone offline.

She would never understand. Blake and I had a connection. I would make that connection work. If that meant waving off rumors or walking past people trying to stand in my way, I wouldn’t have a second thought.

The next morning at school, I met Maci and her group in the hall.
“Hey, guys!”
“AH! Don’t get near us!” the group screamed. I looked at Maci. She told me she was angry with me without ever saying a word. Her livid eyes spoke volumes. After last night, I had figured she’d be angry but not this angry.
“Why are you guys scared of me?” I asked the group.
“Maci said you have chickenpoxiditis!”
“And what exactly is that?”
“It’s where you have invisible chicken pox,” explained a girl somewhere in the group.
“I see.” My eyes narrowed at Maci. Hers narrowed right back.
“Girls, come back later,” Maci commanded without looking away from me. The group dispersed and she accused me of lying.
“Ok, so maybe I wasn’t completely truthful in promising to stay away.”
“That’s right you weren’t.”
“But how many times have your rumors been true? How can I trust Blake actually did what you say he did?”
“Because I’m your best friend. And my cousin knows the girl he almost raped. She wouldn’t lie to me.”
Sure. . .
“Hey, Blondie.” Blake came up to us. Maci looked like a mother bear posed to strike.
“Hey, Blake.” I put my arms around his waist to show Maci that I could do what I wanted. Her eyes grew wild with hatred and she stormed away.
“What’s this about?” Blake looked at my arms.
“Oh, oops, sorry.” I started to pull my arms away but he held them still.
“No, it’s ok. I like it.” We stood in the hall, gazing into each other’s eyes until the bell rang. We walked to class together and he sat me in my seat before sitting down himself.
I couldn’t believe my day. Blake had just swooped in and made everything better. He deserved a reward. I knew just the gift to give him.

Freckles3 said...
This was a really captivating story! At chapter 10, my internet stopped working, and you should have seen me, hitting the computer and throwing a fit because I couldn't finish the story! Great work!

Jonesychic said...
Jun. 4, 2012 at 3:37 pm:
I really liked it ^_^