Breathless

Author's note: I was inspired to write this story because being in high school, I have a front row seat to all...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I was inspired to write this story because being in high school, I have a front row seat to all of the cliques (and all the drama they create). I believe that the entire high school food chain of populars vs. unpopulars and all the sub-levels that go into those two categories are a mind set that takes up residence because we let it continue. I hope that Lexi's story, and all the editing that I can't help myself from doing in free time, sends the message that popularity and following the crowd can be a really stupid thing to do. Individuality is something to be treasured.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Next »

Chapter One

Breathless.
It frames me perfectly.
Who am I? Lexi Catrombe. Very female, very blonde, and very foolish. What can I say? I was desperate. Everyone is that way once in their life. Except now I’m not there anymore.
I’m dead.
The only reason you are reading this is for the sake of my friends and family. They tried to keep me safe but I pushed them away. And now that I’ve gotten my chance to be an idiot, I owe them big time.
I want to tell them the truth. So here it is.

. . . . .

Monday, February 8th, 2010. My alarm clock went off and I slapped the snooze button lazily. What person in their right mind would make a teenager wake up at 5:30 am, to sit around for seven and a half hours, only to come home and sit some more?
My principal, that’s who.
Groggily I walked to my bathroom and started my shower. As I waited for the water to heat up, my mind sent me into a panic attack. It was Monday. I would have to do this four more times. Then again the next week. Then for the next three years of high school.
Calm down, I thought to myself as I stepped into the shower. School’s no big deal. I’ve done it for the past nine years of my life. I can do it again today.
After showering, I towel dried my hair, grabbed a pre-made sandwich, and waited outside for the bus. It was so unpredictable. I only rode it because my parents left for work an hour before I got up. And because if I ditched Maci, she would come and kill me in my sleep.
Maci didn’t know anyone on the bus except for me. She had just started riding about a month ago, whereas I had been riding since my first day of kindergarten.
The creaky yellow bus pulled around the corner and stopped with major squeaks at the end of my driveway. I climbed on and sat next to Maci.
“Ohmigosh, you will never believe what Lauren did last night!”
“What’d she do?” I asked as the bus pulled away from my house.
“Well, Kaitlyn texted that Hannah called and said Bethany told her that Lauren made out with Elana!”
“No way!”
“Yes way!” Maci’s face was the picture of gossip triumph.
“Are you sure that’s true?”
“Would Kaitlyn, Hannah, or Bethany lie to me?”
Well. . .
I didn’t say anything. Lauren walked on the bus and sat down in the back.
“Look at her, she’s such a freak,” Maci whispered.
“Shhh, we don’t even know if that rumor is true.”
“Whatever,” Maci sighed and turned away.
The bus continued on it’s usual route until we came to Jefferson and Colby and took a left.
“Where are we going?” I asked no one in particular. Maci didn’t respond. She had her iPod in her ears. I looked back out the window and watched unfamiliar houses pass by. We stopped in front of a large stone house. It looked like a castle, but I didn’t know of any castle that had only one story. A hooded figure came out, hunched over and completely covered. The figure sauntered into the bus and sat at the front. I watched what this person did as we pulled away. Hands reached up and took off the hood of the casual, slumpy, black jacket. Soft dark hair was swept lazily across his head. It was long but not too long. Short but not too short. Like a guy who hadn’t had a haircut in a while. He had caught my attention. I didn’t know who he was, and being the most popular girl in my freshmen class, that was a rarity. He was a mystery that was my mission to solve.
I just didn’t know how deep and dark that mystery actually was.
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Next »

This book has 2 comments. Post your own now!

Freckles3 said...
This was a really captivating story! At chapter 10, my internet stopped working, and you should have seen me, hitting the computer and throwing a fit because I couldn't finish the story! Great work!

JonesychicThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I really liked it ^_^