Buildings Most Unstable

Author's note: This is a revision of my original book, Buildings Most Unstable.
Author's note: This is a revision of my original book, Buildings Most Unstable.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next »

Determination But Still Ignorance

I called and asked the inspector to send me an areal view of the three buildings that had been obliterated. I hoped that there might be some kind of a pattern. The map came through, and I printed it off. I was right. There was a sort of V pattern in the three buildings. But what was the rest of the pattern? What did the person planting the bombs plan to do next? I studied the map hard, leaning over it on the table. What could that V be part of?
I didn’t know how I could be sure of anything the V might have stood for. Was it part of a W that stood for something? A name, perhaps? Or was it the upper part of an X, or just a V?
Out on the sidewalk, in my armchair, looking out the window, staring at the maps… I wandered around hour after hour, pounding my head with ideas. What on earth is it?

Dah! I stood up from my map table and took a sip of cold coffee. Already it had been four days. Tomorrow was to be the day of the fourth explosion. Tomorrow! The fourth one! I grabbed my jacket and went out for a walk.
The breeze pleasantly brushed my face. It was pretty refreshing. Some leaves were scritching across the pavement; the few fenced-in trees throughout the city did scatter a few leaves over the streets in autumn.
I smiled.
I had an idea. I went back to the apartment building.
I ran up the stairs of the building, floor after floor, until at last I came to the very top. Breathing heavily but smiling broadly, I walked across the gravel to the wall at the edge and the wind hit my face even more. It seems that the more a cool breeze hits my face, the bigger my smile grows. It’s so refreshing and invigorating!
I looked out over the large English city of Enfield. My apartment building was the sixth tallest building in the city, and from it you could see almost the entire city. The view was amazing. The evening sun gleamed orange off the windows of the various buildings. Away in the distance there was a flock of geese flying north in V-formation.
I looked at where the three buildings had been, down below. I envisioned a giant capital V lying over the city. I shook myself slightly. That was weird. But my thoughts did go back to the matter close at hand.
I looked back at the V-pattern. I wonder… The lines that I imagined to connect the three buildings took on a new shape. I hadn’t yet studied the three buildings directly, just on maps. What if… A square… and then, a central point... My mouth parted slightly. A diamond shape with an inner, ultimate target! That’d make it five buildings. This might be it…