Buildings Most Unstable

Author's note: This is a revision of my original book, Buildings Most Unstable.
Author's note: This is a revision of my original book, Buildings Most Unstable.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next »

Two More

Over a period of the next few days, I did what little I could to find out more of the facts. I took a look at what the papers said about the explosion; I researched the people and such that they mentioned; I looked up records of the building that had blown up and collapsed.
But before I had even caught on to anything, another explosion occurred. It was exactly five days later, at exactly the same time, 5:00 pm. All the same evidence. Inspector Burrow again said that he and his team thought the explosion had come from the power room, and that it had probably been a bomb of some sort. The building this time was a hotel. No survivors were found.
Local government now declared it law to maintain double security all the time, until they caught whoever was planting the bombs. Most large businesses were especially watching their power rooms.

Now, I have to say I had plenty of experience with people of all levels of insanity, which indeed comes with being a detective; I knew that more bombs would be detonated in the city. Whoever this person was, he wouldn't stop at just two. There would be at least three, or maybe even five, if he was like the common loony; although all such people are odd and deranged and different... but somehow it works.
By now nearly all my thoughts were concerned with getting this case uncovered. Day and night I researched anything that might be relevant. It was a matter of life and death to hundreds, perhaps thousands of people. I just could not, would not stand by and let them die, while I might be able to prevent their deaths. If there was just the slightest chance, I was gonna try.

But, despite all this, I couldn’t find out anything in time that would help predict what building the third one would be. The very sound of the distant explosion brought me to my knees in agony for all those people. I could barely look up to a clock with teary eyes and see that it was again 5:00 pm; five days after the previous explosion. For just a moment, I felt defeated, helpless. I looked down, crying hard. A third building of fellow human beings had been destroyed, while I couldn’t stop it!
But suddenly, my face hardened, I clenched my fists, and I rose to my feet. NO! That’s IT! If there was anything thing I could do to stop him, I would not let this man murder a single other person.