Buildings Most Unstable

Author's note: This is a revision of my original book, Buildings Most Unstable.
Author's note: This is a revision of my original book, Buildings Most Unstable.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next »

A Mysterious Explosion

The light drizzle was making little streams run down the window. I was looking over my past detective records for the pleasure of recollection. Outside the evening light was shrinking, it being near five o’clock. A few cold drops of coffee lay in my cup. My dog, Jesse, was laying on the rug by my blue armchair, sides rising and falling slowly in slumber. Ace, my cat, was curled up on the couch nearby.
All was quiet. Peaceful. I laid back my head, eyes weary. Sleep slowly encircled and crept through me. Jesse's gentle breathing was now silent. All was calm. It was quiet.

BOOM… a thunderous, distant explosion. I started to full consciousness, and stumbled over to the window.
What.. on.. earth? Peering into the declining light of the city, I saw a far off sky-scraper crumbling down upon itself to the earth below. Dusty gray smoke billowed out of and clouded around it.
I thought of the hundreds of people who must have been dying in that building. I agonized for them. My mind throbbed in anguish. After a shocked few moments of standing there staring at the debris and smoke, I grabbed the phone and called Inspector Burrow.

“Find anything out?” I had met up with the inspector, who had been investigating the explosion’s cause.
“Ehh, not much. But I mean, there’s not much obvious to tell, if you’re talking about cause.” I shoved my hands in his jean pockets to listen.
“Well, we think the explosion came from the power room, on the very bottom floor of the building. But, it was far too big- the explosion, that is- to have been an accident with the power. Rather I think that it was probably some sort of a bomb… perhaps set by some person that disliked the owner of the business? Er, hated, I should say.”