Secrets in the Woods | Teen Ink

Secrets in the Woods

February 13, 2012
By Kparker27 PLATINUM, Groesbeck, Texas
More by this author
Kparker27 PLATINUM, Groesbeck, Texas
30 articles 17 photos 101 comments

Favorite Quote:
"In the end, it's still best to wait for the one we want rather than settle for what's available. It's still best to wait for the one you love rather than to settle for the one who's around. It's still best to wait for the right person, because life's too short to waste on the wrong one."


Author's note: I have always been a storyteller. I decided to write my favorite one to tell. It is all made-up. I did look up the train accident in California though to make it seem like it really could happen (there really was a train accident on that day). I hope you all will enjoy. Please comment.

Perfect family, popular friends, lives in a two-story home, head of the class, varsity in every sport that I tried out for, including cheerleading. Gorgeous boyfriend, pink convertible, and to sum it all up, everything you could ever want. Sounds like a fantasy life doesn’t it? Well, I had all of that four months ago. Now I live in Texas with my Uncle Jason, my dads brother who, before a month ago, I had never met. He is the last living relative I have besides my Grandmother who is in a nursing home. When Jay picked me up from the DFW Airport the first thing he said, when he saw me was, “Wow, how old are you now?... Here let me help you with your things.” I just said “seventeen,” with a little annoyance in my voice. I was wanting to say “Why have you never come to see us? Why did you not come to your own brother’s funeral?” Instead I let him help me and we were soon off to his home. The whole trip was silent. I put on my head phones and went to sleep. I didn’t mind him not asking me questions, I wasn’t ready for any of that yet. Uncle Jason had a room already set up for me when I got there late that first night from the trip. Light blue walls, wooden floor, a single bed with a light blue comforter and a nightstand with a small blue lamp next to the bed. When I entered Jason said “You can change it if you want but, this is all I could do when they informed me.” I quietly replied with a “thanks.” I knew this was going to be a long night for me along with many following. It was two in the morning. I had slept the whole trip and wasn’t tired now. The room was really big and had two windows. There wasn’t a bathroom connected to the room...who builds a house like that?! I found it down the hallway. At least I didn’t have to share with anyone. I use to share with my younger sister. The bathroom was connected between our rooms. Uncle Jason’s house was a one-story, but massive enough for an underground swimming pool to be built indoors. He had his master bedroom and two guest rooms, well one now, and another room that he called the “Game Room”. It had a pool table, wii, x-box 360, ping-pong table, a bar in the corner and a sofa beside it. It had glass sliding doors to the back to enter the pool area. It was deep enough for a small diving board. There was also a hot tub!! Right before I was about to sit down and dangle my feet in the warm water, Jason came in.

I jumped a little when he spoke because I did not know he was in the room. “You need anything just come wake me up. I am going to bed. You can do what you want, just be careful. Good night, see you in the morning.” I smiled a little when he almost fell from his sleepiness and then I said, “Okay thanks. Good night.” When he left, I turned back around and sat on the edge seat and then slowly put my legs in. It was perfect. Now I just needed something to lay back on, that was comfortable, then I would be set for the night. This was my first time in a sun-room. You could see out-side from the glass walls and, there was even a switch to open the roof! I of course opened it and listened to the night air. I saw stars for the first time, in a very long time. There were tears streaming down my face now. If there was a shooting star now I would wish for something that I know could never happen. I would wish that my family was still alive and that we could all still be together in California. I don’t know how long I was laying on the floor beside the pool because, I woke up from a dog licking my face and the sun blaring in my face and yelled, “Ugh! Got off of me!” I pushed the huge dog off of me while getting to my feet. Jason came running in yelling “Zelda! Get off...oh. Sorry about that. I should have warned you last night I had a dog. I was already playing and rubbing her belly before he could finish. “Zelda. That’s a pretty name,” I said after he finished his little freak-out show. “Yeah,” he said with a hidden sadness in his voice, yet I didn’t question him. Then I asked with excitement, “May I take Zelda out for a walk? Please, pretty please Uncle Jason?” “Oh, alright. Stay inside my fences though and, don’t go in the woods out back, there are snakes out. Oh, and be back by noon, I have a coach’s meeting. I don’t want to leave you here alone.” Uncle Jason was the Head Football Coach at the High School in town. I wanted to say, “I will be fine. I’m not a child you know.” Instead I just nodded my head and said with a smile, “okay.” I walked to my room with Zelda following me. I grabbed my huge black suitcase and plopped it on my bed. Then I opened it and took out my Hollister brand denim shorts, black sparkly tank top, and my western boots I had bought before coming to Texas, I thought everyone here wore them. I put a leash on Zelda and was about to open the front door when I heard Jason laugh and say, “Wow! Howdy there Miss. You going to a rodeo or what?” I gave him a stern look and replied with an attitude I got from my mother, “Umm, no. I always wear this...just not the boots.” He looked at me with a puzzled look then finally walked away laughing again. “We don’t all wear boots in Texas,” he said while still laughing. I was a little mad now and embarrassed. I opened the door and walked out mumbling under my breath “Who cares what he says, right Zelda?”

I headed out back walking toward the woods. Then I stopped to get my phone out to set an alarm so I would be back in time. It was nine forty-five. I set the alarm for eleven thirty. I saw over a hundred messages by my text app; more on my Facebook. Since the accident I hadn’t felt like talking to anyone. I didn’t even want to read what people had to say about it. My boyfriend, Corbin Allen, was at the funeral but we didn’t even talk because I made it hard for him to. I stayed far away because, I didn’t want him to feel sorry for me. Ten days after the accident I was suppose to go to Prom with him. I had my best friend Megan, go instead. She didn’t have a date anyway, so it was perfect. It was the end of March and school hadn’t ended yet so, I was living with Mrs. King, one of my teachers at the time. She would get me my work and come home with it. I would finish it at her house and then she would turn it in when she went back to work the next day. I couldn’t go back to school and face all the comments and staring eyes. I just wanted my life back! I had tears running down my face now. I was already in the woods that Uncle Jason had warned me not to go in and, didn’t know where I was exactly. I looked around for anything that looked familiar. Nothing. That’s exactly how I feel about life right now, nothing. Then I heard running water. I walked closer to where the sound was coming from and found, a river! This was a beautiful sight for me. I was raised around the city where all you can see is tall buildings, roads, no stars, and definitely no rivers as beautiful as this. The difference was it was quiet here and I could breathe as if I were more alive than ever. Zelda pulled me down by the bank where she could get a drink. Then when I was feeling free at last from the world and my depressed life inside; I even felt alive and a little bit happy, my alarm went off. I really didn’t know where I was actually but Zelda seemed to know this and pulled me along. Once we were out of the woods I yelled for Zelda to slow down. I wanted to come back out here again and find where the horses were, since I have never seen a horse, besides on television. I finally made it to the house and unleashed Zelda. Jason heard me come in and said, “Clean up and, be ready in twenty. Oh, and leave your boots by the door please.” After I took my boots off, I headed to my room. I realized I had no mirror in my room, “This is going to be a problem,” I said to myself. I headed to the bathroom after grabbing my straight iron and make-up bag. I had just finished with my hair and make-up when Jason yelled from the kitchen, “You ready yet?” “Give me one more minute! You can start the car if you want though,” I yelled back while rushing to my room to get my shoes on. I slipped on my black flip-flops and sprayed some perfume to finish up my whole routine. “Much better,” I said when I sprayed it on. I finally got into the truck and we headed to town. “How was the walk?” he asked. “Great! I didn’t know you had a river?!” I said with amazement. “I thought I told you not to go far in the woods!” he said with some frustration in his tone. “I’m sorry Uncle Jason” I said sadly. “I won’t do it again, I promise,” I said real quick before he could say anything else. “Good. I don’t want to hear of it again, you hear?” he said while we were stopped at a red light in town. “Yes sir,” I replied. I wondered what he was not telling me. I had a feeling something was in the woods he did not want me to see or find out about. I was going to though. The High School wasn’t too far from the house, I figured less than ten minutes. We parked beside the football field where it was joined together with the school; very unusual. “Our meeting is going to be in my classroom straight through those doors and third room to the left. If you need me just text me or you know where I will be,” he said while pointing with his finger. “You can walk around and get use to the school since you will be starting here soon,” he added before getting out of the truck. I’m glad I had left my iPod in the truck from last night because, I really wasn’t looking forward to going to a new school, where I would be starting all over. No one would care who I used to be, or what I use to have or even live. I walked in with Uncle Jason to the classroom but did not not go in. I plugged in my music and started my tour. I found the cafeteria and was shocked. It was the littlest one I had ever seen. It probably had seats for a hundred students. I headed down another hallway and found the Band Hall. I was looking at the trophies along the wall in a glass closure. All of a sudden I felt a tap on my shoulder.

I jumped and almost fell from turning around so hard. I saw a young, tall, tan skinned boy with denim shorts and a Hollister shirt. He had green eyes and dark shaggy brown hair. His eyes were wide and had a hand out to help me and said, “I’m sorry to startle you like that. I asked if you were new here and when I didn’t get a response I came over to get your attention. I’m sorry again.” I knew he didn’t mean to scare me. “It’s cool. And, yes I am new here. I am living with my Uncle Jason, the head football coach,” I said with my head phones out by now. “Oh, coach Jay? Wow I live next door! We should hang out some time,” he said with a smile. It was the most gorgeous smile I had ever seen, and he caught me starring which, made me blush. “I’m sorry, my name is Chad,” he said with an outstretched hand. I am glad that he changed the subject. “Hi, I’m Kailla,” I replied shaking his hand and smiling back. “So are you going to be in band?” he questioned pointing at the band entry way. “Oh, no! I was just looking around that’s all,” I quickly replied with a little laugh because I had never been in Band. “Oh,” he said kinda flat and down spirited. “I thought maybe we would have at least have one class together,” he added with a slight smile. “Sorry, band isn’t my thing,” I said with a shrug. “You want a tour guide?” he asked with a smile. This guy had fast mood changes. I really wanted to finish on my own but, I decided to let him. He talked about what teachers to look after, and where the different groups sat at lunch and, even the dumb rules they had. I found out that every student is issued their own personal school laptop. This was the only thing so far that was cool. We finally made it to the basketball gym. They had two; varsity and junior varsity gym. He went over to the ball rack and started dribbling the ball. Then he set, shoot, and made it from the free throw line. I just stood there watching. “Wanna play?” he asked with that smile of his. “I have flip-flops on,” I said picking up one foot to give proof. “Take em’ off then,” he replied while making another basket. I really didn’t want to get sweaty but decided to play anyway. He was very impressed with my skills. “You going to be in Basketball?” he asked while watching me make a basket. “No,” I said while shooting another one. “What?! Why not? Your good, no, amazing!” he said with wide eyes starring at me. “I have my reasons. That is all you need to know,” I said while putting the ball back on the rack and slipping my shoes on with a sad face I couldn’t hide. I even felt the tears coming now. I walked out heading outside hearing Chad yelling at me but I kept going. Chad finally came up beside me saying “Wait, I am sorry I asked. I didn’t mean to upset you.” I kept walking with the tears now falling down my face. “I am really sorry,” he said stopping me with his hand, “Please don’t cry.” “I’d like to be left alone now,” I replied pushing him away and wiping my eyes. I heard him say, “I’m sorry” one last time before I turned the corner to head to my Uncle’s truck. Once I got to the truck, I plugged my music back in and waited on the curb.

Uncle Jason finally came out thirty minutes later. It was one thirty now. I was extremely hungry. Jason went through the Bush’s Chicken drive thru and then we headed home. After we ate Jason went to his room to take a nap and told me I could do whatever till five. We were having dinner with some friends of his and they had two kids in high school. “They are coming here,” he finished before leaving the room. I was still eating and I decided that Bush’s tea was my new favorite drink. It was two twenty-five now. I decided to take a shower since, the basketball practice I had earlier with Chad, had made me sweaty. After I took the shower I put on my ‘Sweetheart’ jeans along with a light blue tank top. Then I scrunched my hair and put a blue sparkly headband on. I was partly ready for the evening. It was three o’clock exactly now. I had two more hours. I sat on my bed, plugged in my music and finally decided to look at my messages. I went to my facebook page and in less than five minutes, I was speechless.

I had many old messages about the accident. Then the most recent ones were from Corbin and Megan...WHAT!!! Corbin’s profile picture was Megan and him together...that must be a mistake?! Then I found out that they started going out at the beginning of summer. I didn’t think my best friend would do that to me; more less my boyfriend. I just hoped that I could have at least one person that was still alive who loved me. It hurt me to read my ex-boyfriend’s past messages or posts:


My heart is broken. It seems as if a part of me has gone missing. I just want my baby girl to be happy again. I can’t until I am with her again. (post) March 21


Hey baby girl! are you sure you don’t want to go to prom? you had this planned out last year. -March 25


Hey Megan is having a prom party. I am going over there tonight. You should come. Everyone misses you. I miss you more though :/ -March 31


Will you call me please. I miss you. - April 10


Hey do you need anything?? I wish you would come back to school. I will make sure no one will give you any trouble. I promise. Please call me. I can’t sleep without knowing my baby girl is ok. I love you!!!! - April 28

Then he didn’t say anything till a week before school was out:


Hey I don’t know how this is going to work out anymore. I have been trying to get you to hang out with me...it seems you don’t want that anymore :/ Soo, if you want to still be my girlfriend I need an answer. Please. - May 12


....I haven’t heard from you :/ I really hate you to find out something on facebook and not by me telling you face to face but, there was no way to get a hold of you. I even text your phone and I had no reply...we are no longer together. -May 30

That was the last message I got from him. I left his page and went to Megan’s. She seemed very happy with him. I really wanted to call her and tell her how much of a ***** she is. I couldn’t believe this. I was crying so loud that my Uncle Jay came in asking if I was ok. I yelled at at him saying, “No!!! I want my life back!!” Uncle Jason really didn’t know how to handle this. He backed out and softly said, “Well I’m sorry, and if you need anything I will be in the living room. The family called and they will not be able to come tonight.” I was glad they were not coming because, I didn’t feel like having company at all. I finally just cried myself to sleep.

I woke up and then took a shower. I put on some blue jean shorts and my old cheer shirt. I slipped on my boots and went into the kitchen. I had just realized I had gotten up at seven this morning. I ate a granola bar with some milk. Then I brushed my teeth and put my hair in a messy bun. I decided to walk Zelda again. Before I went out I left a note on the counter for Uncle Jason.

Hey! I am walking Zelda. Will be back by lunch time. I have my phone if you need to call. Thanks!


Kailla


I was glad to get out and feel some fresh air. I really wanted to find out why Uncle Jason didn’t want me in the woods. Today I was going to find out no matter what! I finally got to the river. I even decided to let Zelda walk without a leash. She was doing really good. I found a small little bridge to walk across the river. It seemed very old yet, the painting was renewed. It was a wooden bridged with bright yellow paint. I crossed over. I kept walking and the trees in the woods seemed to get huger and bigger. This made it get darker as well. Zelda was still with me. I was happy to have her too because, I was kinda getting scared. I wasn’t used to woods and dark creepy places, not to mention being alone. Then all of a sudden I stopped dead in my tracks...I saw it.

I was starring at a door in a huge tree. This was very unusual and weird. The door was the same color as the bridge. I kinda thought that whoever made this was very dumb if they wanted it to be hidden. It was in plain sight! It was bright yellow for crying out loud! I really didn’t know if I should go in or not. I was really scared and Zelda seemed to know it. She came over to me whimpering. I patted her to let her know it was ok. I wasn’t going to let anyone stop me from going in. I have lost everything...what more could I lose. My life? I was actually ok with that now since I didn’t have anyone who would miss me. I went to the door and placed my hand on the knob. As I did I heard a noise behind me.

I turned around and didn’t see anything. I yelled, “Who is there?” There was no answer. I turned back around and turned the knob. I heard the noise again. I turned around and saw nothing again. As I was just about to open the door, I heard a loud STOP!! from behind me. I jumped out of my skin it felt and spun around. I saw who I really didn’t want to see at the moment. It was Chad. Chad was running towards me from behind a tree. “Stop!! Don’t go in there!” he yelled at me while running and waving his arms like a mad man. I was wondering why he followed me and why he didn’t want me to go in. “Why not?” I replied with annoyance. “Jason said not to. I saw you walking towards the woods because I was out feeding my horses. I decided to follow you.” he said with a little embarrassment. “I don’t care what Jay says! He doesn’t even know me!” I yelled with anger. “True but, I do know him. He really means it when he says don’t go in there.” he said with some caution. I could tell I made him scared with my voice or he was scared to be here. I really didn’t care. I was going in. I turned around and opened the door while I said “I don’t care.”

I was walking down these cement stairs that had small lights along the side to show the way. It wasn’t scary in here at all. I had been walking for five minutes and then I heard a voice above yelling, “Kailla! You still alive?! Are you ok?” “Yeah! Come on Chicken!” I yelled back. I waited for him to catch up to me. Once he caught up to me I could see that he was breathing hard from either catching up to me or he was just that scared. I turned around and started walking again and said, “You can turn back anytime you feel like it. I am staying to find out what Jay is hiding down here.” We were still walking down the stairs at ten minutes. I was wondering if maybe we missed another door or something. As I was thinking this we finally came to solid ground. We were in a tunnel now. It curved around and then we saw light. It was a huge room with candles burning everywhere. There were book shelves and a sofa with a coffee table in front. It all looked very comfortable and well kept. I saw a picture hanging on the wall of two boys playing in the river that looked exactly like the one I crossed...it was! The two boys were my dad and Jason! There was other pictures of them in the house and riding horses too. I came to another door in the corner. It was a dark red color, not yellow. I wondered why and what was behind this door but, before I could even put my hand on the knob I heard glass break. I turned around with my heart beating so fast. I was sweating now. Chad was laughing now. He only did it to scare me he explained once I asked. I was annoyed now and a little mad. I went back to the red door. Beside the door was a picture of a young woman hanging on the wall in a huge frame. It didn’t look like my mom at all. I wondered who it was. Then I saw below the frame in fine print: Amanda Red.

I had no idea who that was. I had never even heard the name. I went inside. I found a smaller room with two candles beside another picture of the woman with, Jason! Jason said he was never married but, this picture was them getting married beside the river. I wondered why he lied to me. I more wondered why I never met Jason all these years. What happened? I got the feeling that this woman died because, there was a huge coffin. I was not about to lift it and find out though. I was glad I made up my mind to not because, I saw a tomb stone with her name on it.








Amanda Red (Parker)









loving daughter,









and wife









1980-2005


She was only twenty-five!! That is too young to die. I wonder what happened? Chad was in the room with me now. “This is really creepy. Jay never talked about an Amanda before,” he said while looking around. Then I found the newspaper rolled with a band around it. I unrolled it and started reading it aloud. I was shocked by the end of it.

This is exactly as it reads:

Amanda Red and Jason Parker were newly weds as of yesterday. The new married couple decided to go to Santa Cruz, California to enjoy the beach. They decided to take a train. On January 26, 2005, at 6:03 a.m. PST, southbound Metrolink commuter train #100 collided with a sport utility vehicle that had been abandoned on the tracks immediately south of the Chevy Chase Drive grade crossing and near a Costco retail store on the Glendale-Los Angeles boundary, in an industrial area, north of downtown Los Angeles. The train jackknifed and struck trains on either side of it—one a stationary Union Pacific freight train, and the other a northbound Metrolink train (#901) traveling in the opposite direction. The chain-reaction collisions resulted in the deaths of 11 people. Among the first responders to the accident were employees of the Costco store, adjacent to the accident site, who placed calls to 9-1-1 and climbed the bordering fence to aid the victims. Jason Parker was the only passenger who miraculously lived and was unharmed due to where he was sitting. His wife, Amanda, died at the scene along with ten others. Jason lives in Groesbeck, Texas and is a high school football coach. He had just gotten married yesterday and they were visiting California for there honeymoon. If you know Jason Parker, I must say you know, a hero. He helped many people out of the accident while he knew his wife had past away in front of him. Jason will be remembered by many survivors in years to come.


I was in total shock. Now I know why he didn’t ever come to the funeral. He couldn’t make himself go back to California and think about the accident. He also probably didn’t want to think about his own brother being in a accident himself. I too have to live with an accident that I too should have died along with my family. It was a horrible thing to remember. I was crying now and Chad was too, although I have no idea why. I decided to take the newspaper and get out of there to tell Jason everything will be alright. Chad followed behind me along with Zelda.

Once I got out of the tree I realized my phone had four missed calls and two text messages. They were all from Jason. I called him but there was no answer. We all ran till we got to the bridge. We slowed down when we saw Jason leaning over the bridge looking down at the water. When we got to him he was crying and yelled, “Why did you disobey me! I told you to stay out of the woods!” I was not scared anymore. I yelled back at him, “I understand now why you didn’t come to your own brothers funeral or even come visit us. It’s ok! I know how you feel.” He seemed shocked and stopped before he said his next words. He even seemed relieved as if, a huge load had been lifted. His eyes were in tears of happiness now. “...I don’t know what to say. This is such a relieve for me. It was a very difficult time for me and, still is. I couldn’t go back to California and, another thing is to face another person I love in an accident. I will admit that your father and I didn’t see eye to eye at times and we both were very stubborn. He left with his girlfriend after high school and, I never heard from him but three times: When he had your oldest brother John, when he had you, and when he had your younger sister Karoline. I am sorry that I never came to visit but, it was not your fault. I was mad at your father for leaving us and not ever saying anything.” “I never knew. Uncle Jay, I want you to know and remember, that my dad did love you very much. He talked about the memories he had with you and all about Texas. He never mentioned all this though, the river and the woods. I now have my own secret in the woods.” I said smiling.

We all hugged and then I had to confess my story, “Just like you, I too should have died in the accident with my family. We were all in the truck going home from the movies real late that night. I got a text from a friend asking if I wanted to spend the night with her. I told her yes. So I had my mom drop me off before I got home knowing my friend lived only two blocks away. I got out and watched my family drive off and as they went over the train tracks...they died from getting hit. My family loved to have the music up real loud. If I hadn’t gotten dropped off, I too would have died.” Uncle Jason came and hugged me real tight because I was crying by the time I said “train tracks”. We stayed beside the river for some time just talking. Then we headed back home. Uncle Jason decided that tonight was a good movie night. I didn’t realize he was putting in family recorded videos. I enjoyed seeing my dad again. It wasn’t the same but I still loved seeing his face and smile. Chad and I were on the couch together while Jason was in his recliner. Zelda was in the kitchen enjoying her bone Jason had given her. I was finally happy again.

Summer went by so fast after that night. School was the next day. I had everything laid out and ready. I had a perfect family again, perfect boyfriend (Chad asked me out a couple days after the incident in the woods), perfect red truck, perfect house, perfect dog, and I knew I would be getting some awesome new friends now that school would be starting. I even tried out for the girls basketball team and made it. I told Chad that I didn’t feel like it at the time we played because my own dad was my basketball coach in California. Jason and I have helped each other through different tough times through our life’s. We even had a proper burial for Amanda and then we cleaned it out and made a hang-out, out of it. Chad and I call it, Secret in the Woods.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.