The Days Are Blood

Chapters:   1 2 3 Next »

Preface

Every since I was a young child, I’ve always possessed a deep passion and enjoyment for reading. My very earliest memories of enjoying the bliss that is reading came at a time before I was even in elementary school. My mother, a kindergarten teacher at the time, would read stories and poems to me every night before and while I fell asleep. I can still, even after all of these years, vividly remember looking forward to this time each and every night. Eventually, she began reading me more complex and advanced stories, such as Roald Dahl’s Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and Stuart Little, by E. B. White. I credit these early experiences with reading as having a large contribution to developing my active imagination; which turned out to be one of my best assets. I cannot thank my mother enough for this.
Middle School and High School were not exactly the greatest experiences for me to say the least. I suffered from boredom, depression, anxiety, and frustrations brought on by schoolwork, social problems, and other annoyances teenagers face while coming of age. It was during this time, though, that I first realized my talent for writing. A lot of my teachers had told me that they believed I possessed a talent for writing, but it wasn’t until the eighth grade that I began to believe it myself.
In an enrichment class designed for students excelling in literature studies and writing, I wrote a humorous short story I titled The Ray Thomas Incident about a kid who drank gasoline and has hallucinated about being abducted by aliens. I didn’t put too much effort into it, honestly, and after I turned it in I quickly forgot about it. My teacher, Mrs. Lester, liked it very much and she decided to send it along with some other students’ stories to the Scholastic Arts and Writing Competition. Sure enough, I won the Silver Key Award and ended up going to Carnegie Hall in New York City, New York, to receive it. I was very enthralled to win the award, but winning it made me feel empty. I felt empty because I hadn’t put much effort at all into my story, and it had gone on to win in a national writing competition. It still haunts me to this day wondering if I could have won the Gold Key award if I had just worked harder. It was at this point that I decided I could have a career in writing if I only worked hard enough to achieve it.
So here I am, five years later, writing the preface to my first novel. During my time in high school, I was able to come up with a plethora of new useful ideas I planned to use for my future writing career. My original idea started out with just a U.S. soldier trapped in a warehouse forced to complete tasks to get to his wife and daughter. It eventually grew all the way to the complex story it is today, involving many unique characters and a much more complicated plot. The reader should note, that while there is a literal surface plot, I’ve also embedded many different ideas and abstractions to be aware of. Unlike my alien story from eighth grade, this time I promise I’ve put the hard work into this book. I’ve poured my heart and soul into it, and I hope you enjoy.
Chapters:   1 2 3 Next »

This book has 2 comments. Post your own now!

Freckles3 said...
Okay, look. Here's the thing. I'm going to talk straight up with you, because you really need to hear this. If this sounds harsh, I'm sorry, but I couldn't just not comment and let you continue like this... The thing is... You can not write such a great, compelling story with an incredibly suspenseful plot like this and just leave us hanging like that. That is not okay. i must read more. Phwew. Now that that's off my chest, I can congratulate you on a truly... (more »)

Surobhi_Moitrayee said...
Feb. 14, 2012 at 5:32 am
Just loved your idea...and you summary is just so attracting and grabs attention! love your writting...keep it up...i'd be glad if you'd read my book too..