So That Others May Live

Chapters:   1 2 Next »

Prologue

I’ve always found ballistics to be a fascinating subject; and the curiosity is not atypically rooted in a love of semi-analogous crime dramas that have somehow invaded all of my usual television channels. No, for me the spot where science meets morals is the intrigue. It’s quite simple, when broken down. When one pulls the trigger of a gun, the firing pin ignites the primer which ignites gas pressure and gun powder and forces a bullet from the barrel. That in itself is clean cut and simple. And if the truth never is than bullets surely are. But what of the gunman? After all of these small precise actions have been carried out, all that is left is the motive, the action, and the effect.

My name used to be James Donlam. My motive lies just beyond a very small, very secure steel door.

My action: I have just fired a Glock 9mm bullet, which entered the man standing in front of me at over eight-hundred miles per hour. The bullet entered his leg and shattered his bone in three places.

I suppose the initial effect is shock, followed by blood on the wall. But the ripples will be more. So much more.
Chapters:   1 2 Next »

This book has 9 comments. Post your own now!

Surobhi_Moitrayee said...
Mar. 3, 2012 at 7:02 am
Wow! it's a really awesome story!! Good Job! Just keep writting!! :)

Konabandit said...
Jan. 28, 2012 at 11:18 am
wow, this is an excellent piece of work. the description is fantastic and it keeps the readers attention all the way. excellent piece cant wait to read more

Philosophication This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wow. This dpiece is absolutely lovely. My two things are a few spelling mistakes, and MORE!!!!!!!! Please expound upon this idea\, as I am sure I am not the only person with similar sentiments.

Jappyalldayeveryday said...
This is a great idea and pretty well written, though there are some grammars errors. Keep writing. You're good at it :)

paige14 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is absolutely wonderful!! I would agree that the symbolism at the end could use a little more development. You're characterization is so real, it really let me connect with Miller. You also had me hooked from the very beginning; I just had to finish reading to figure out what the heck was going on. All and all, it really was one of the best stories I've read on here.

AngelsLullaby said...
I agree with Jason, though I am some what offended by his comment. Anyways this is a really good piece of work. One of the best I've read.

Kvothe28 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Thank you AngelsLullaby and Paige14, I appreciate the comments. I enjoyed both your pieces as well.

Kvothe28 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wow thank you so much. Defenietely the best comment I've ever recieved on Teenink. =)

JasonBircea said...
Jan. 17, 2012 at 2:21 am
hello fellow writer. I would like to commend you on your truly riveting piece of work. Every so often you find a gem on this otherwise trash infested website; and this piece sir, is a gem. Miller I find to be the highlight of your work. The way you effortlessly characterize him and make him come to life is fun to watch. The story itself is well executed and very original. My one issus would be that the ending was a little forced. You should take the time to truly express the symbolisim in the li... (more »)