New Teen Ink Book: Bullying Under Attack Barnes & Noble Amazon

The Mirage

Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next »

The Pocketknife

Two days after the polygraph, tensions were still high in the Carter household. They were well aware that the police had a search warrant and were on their way to scour the house of any evidence concerning Valerie Carter’s untimely death. Meanwhile Mrs. Carter was busy planning the funeral but only when the forensic scientists were done scanning Valerie’s body could it take place. The family planned to bury her in the local cemetery.
Marci’s polygraph results had come in the mail and suggested that Marci hadn’t answered all the questions truthfully. Allan and Mrs. Carter decided not to mention it to her. Mrs. Carter’s suspicions had been almost completely confirmed; Marci murdered Valerie and made it look like she committed suicide.

Kenny drove down the pavement inspecting the numbers on the sides of the passing houses. He was the only one who believed Marci had not murdered Valerie.
“632,634,636,” he muttered reading the house numbers. “Finally, 640.” Kenny pulled up to the Carter’s driveway search warrant in hand. Officer Young was do to meet him there at any minute. Kenny secretly hoped she didn’t show up since her beliefs were that Marci was a cold-blooded killer. Instead of ringing the doorbell he knocked three times and waited.
Allan Carter opened the door and said, “You’re here, do what you need to do. I suggest you search Marci’s room first.”
“Will do.” Kenny stepped inside following Allan upstairs to Marci’s room.
“Be careful this brat has a temper. She’s locked herself in there for almost a day.” Allan sounded bored. “Marci! Open this door right now! Sergeant Kenny is here to search your room!” he began to pound against her door. It shuddered under his force.
“Leave,” a voice said flatly. Marci sat on her bed watching the door, half expecting it to come crashing down.
“He has a search warrant and that means by law you have to let him search the room you don’t deserve!” Allan thundered smacking the door again. Kenny didn’t particularly like the way he talked to his stepdaughter.
“You don’t deserve anything! And I meant for you to leave! Go sharpen your knives, you have enough of them!” Marci retorted bitterly. Kenny raised his brows when he heard the word ‘knives’.
Allan shook his head scowling. “Are you sure you didn’t steal one? I noticed that my pocket knife is missing.” He sneered disappearing down the stairs.
The door to Marci’s room flew open slamming into the opposite wall. “What did he say?”
Kenny repeated Allan’s words with unease.
“I hate him. He gave Liam his pocketknife a couple days ago as a gift even though Liam already had one and Allan knew that.” Marci spat.
“May I check your room now?” Kenny asked kindly.
“Sure, but I wouldn’t turn your back on me if I were you. I might just stab you and say you committed suicide.” She said sourly.
“Look,” Kenny sighed. “I don’t think you killed your sister and I hope I don’t find any evidence that tells me you did.”
Marci’s heart leaped. “Really?” Her voice was calmer.
“Yes, even though your polygraph tests suggested that you were lying.”
Marci looked genuinely surprised. “I swear I wasn’t lying!”
“Apparently, you stuttered.”
“I know, I was eminently nervous!” Marci wailed.
Kenny nodded pushing objects on her desk aside. “I would’ve been too.” He continued on to look through her makeup box. Pushing mascara, eyeliner, and eye shadow out of the way he found nothing.
Kenny went to her bookshelf. Marci sat perched on her bed watching him like a hawk. He shoved books aside peering behind them. One book that was bound with leather slipped off and fell to the floor something rattling from inside it. Kenny frowned picking it up. He shook it back and forth, the rattling started again.
“Oh,” Marci said. “That is a book without real pages, it opens up to store stuff in.”
When Kenny opened the box he inhaled staring at the object inside of it.
“What?” Marci started to get nervous. Kenny held up the item so she could see it. “Oh my God! That’s the pocketknife Allan gave Liam as a present! Why the hell is it in the book?”
Kenny flipped out the blade seeing the blood, “I am going to need to run a few blood tests on this to see if its Valerie’s blood on it.”
“Allan said he gutted a deer with it and forgot to clean it!” Marci said.
Kenny hoped that for her sake it wasn’t Valerie’s blood. Marci followed him down the stairs where he told her mother and Allan about the knife. Mrs. Carter freaked out but Allan just said he was disappointed in her. Then Kenny left, planning to put the blood tests into immediate effect.

Freckles3This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Really great story, but I think it should be made a little less obvious who did it. I knew the whole time. Still, I was captivated from Chapter One on!

Surobhi_Moitrayee said...
Feb. 14, 2012 at 5:39 am:
Really nice please see my book too!

AddieLongo said...
This is very good. I'm curious to where it's going to go. And the Marci girl...Ugh. I want to hit her. If I had a sister like that...lol You should check out my story as well :)

AngelFire replied...
Jan. 23, 2012 at 10:25 am :
thanks and yeah i'll check out ur story :)