New Teen Ink Book: Bullying Under Attack Barnes & Noble Amazon

Shades of Black

Author's note: I like to try to expand my writing by making myself try and write about different lifestyles. I...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I like to try to expand my writing by making myself try and write about different lifestyles. I hope you enjoy this piece. It's not done yet.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next »

Grey

They hadn’t told her they had planned to replace him. But, of course, she should have known. Football season had been right around the corner when had died, and they would need a new quarterback. Sometimes she hated him for dying and for leaving her so absolutely alone.

She hated being alone.

The school was buzzing with excitement after the news leaked out that Jake was trying out for quarterback. And, of course, the cheerleaders were none to enthusiastic about showing him their routines and offering to show him around. Everyone wanted to touch him. He was like a brand new toy: A brand new, achingly gorgeous toy. She didn’t need him though. All she wanted to do was mourn by drowning out her sorrow with beer: Lots and lots of beer.
When Jake had been alive, everything had been different. He had helped her coast through the days by steadying her whenever she fell. He had helped her forget how miserable her life was by understanding where she was coming from. He was the only one who had ever understood her. Even before her parents had split, life had been miserable, but at least it had been bearable. Her mother had only done pot on the weekends, and her father would only cheat once a year. The only thing solid about her childhood had been Tommy. When her parents were fighting, she would sneak out from the trailer and into Tommy’s. Together, they would invent stories until they fell asleep.
She hadn’t been able to sleep since he died.

She thought that perhaps she could remedy the situation by moving in with her father. But her father wouldn’t answer the phone, and the more she thought about it, the more she knew she couldn’t leave her mother alone in the world. And so, now she was the sole provider for the family.