Shades of Black

Author's note: I like to try to expand my writing by making myself try and write about different lifestyles. I...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I like to try to expand my writing by making myself try and write about different lifestyles. I hope you enjoy this piece. It's not done yet.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next »

Slate

The LSD was playing tricks with her mind, but somehow she didn’t care anymore. At first, she had preferred to use depression drugs; the ones with the scientific names that could be bought over-the-counter, because she didn’t need a prescription. Her mother had bought them to combat her “nervousness,” and “mood swings,” as a way to cope with her problems.

Her mother had always been a disgrace. She had cheated on her husband with a guy she had met at the local pub, and when she was caught she feigned innocence. Two weeks later, at divorce court, she was literally on her knees in front of her husband begging for forgiveness, but he said he couldn’t deal with her anymore as a woman…as a wife, and he was gone.

Numbly rolling a joint in her hand, she balanced the joint in her hand and set it ablaze. With lifeless eyes she watched it smolder and raised it to her lips and puffed. Her father had wanted custody of her, had promised her a “new start,” a “bright new beginning.” He had painted her pictures of a new life full of possibilities and new beginnings. But she didn’t want new friends and a new house. She wanted everything to be familiar, because familiar had always been comfortable.

Staring into the distance, she closed her eyes and listened to the rush of the waves on the shore. Growing up, her family had always lived in the beach house for the summer. Everyone lived close together and everyone knew everyone’s business. However, since the split, the number of neighbors talking to them had dwindled to a hardly sizeable number.

The only thing the neighbors were interested in was information. She hated them and their gossip, festering lips.

“Hello?” Turning, she half expected to see her mother, still tucked in her bedclothes with a bottle of alcohol in hand, or even the dude from the pub. He visited sometimes, but she hated him. She didn’t trust him or the way he leered at her, his meaty fingers always trying to grab her as he stared. But no matter how many times he came around, she always made sure she was there with her mother. She felt a moral obligation to watch out for her mother, and she had good reason to…Her mother was hardly an adult. She acted on impulse instead of on regulated information. Her mother was too much of a child to be left alone.

She didn’t recognize him; although, she didn’t expect to be able to distinguish him. He stood watching her, his dark eyes staring perceptively at her.

“Can I help you?” She asked her voice hard. She didn’t understand why some guy she didn’t even know was standing in a cove watching her smoke a blunt.

Shifting her weight tentatively, she stared back at him. He was good-looking in an eclectic way. His dark eyes danced and streaks of purple swirled through his auburn hair. Moving forward, he kept his eyes on his sandal clad feet as he watched the sand shift underneath him.

“I’m new here,” he stated, his voice oddly alluring, “and you’re the first person my age that I’ve met. What’s your name?”

“Aria,” she mumbled Unsure of what else to do, she did the first thing she thought of and offered him a joint.

“No thanks, I don’t smoke,” he murmured, a slight accent lilting over the words.

“Oh, so you are one of those good kids, huh? Like my boyfriend,” she mocked, her voice slightly taunting.

“No, I just don’t smoke,” he retorted. Turning her back on him, she stared back out at the beach. Frothy waves crashed on the golden sand, and seagulls swooped in perfect circles overhead. Couples strolled languorously on the shore, and kids shrieked as they kicked blissfully in the cold water. Sighing, she took another puff and closed her eyes. She didn’t know why she had brought him up. She didn’t want to think about it, in fact, but he had popped out of her mouth anyways. Shaking her hair out of her face, she tilted her head towards the beach and the waves. Why had she brought him up, dammit?

“So, what is there to do around here anyways?”

His voice startled her from her trance, and scowling, she turned and glared at him. “Whatever you want to do,” she retorted, annoyed that he was still hanging around.

“Can you show me around?” His voice was gentle, and yet, she couldn’t help but roll her eyes.

“I’m not your freakin’ babysitter.”

“But you’re the only person I know, plus I think we could be friends.”

She stifled a laugh, and stared at him. “I don’t need friends,” she mumbled.

“Most people who say that need one.”

“I just met you, and you are already trying to counsel me?”

“I’m just trying to help.”

“I don’t need your help; I can take care of myself thank you.” Angrily, she took a few steps further into the cove and cursed. Turning around, she added, “And get out of my cove!”

That was the first time she met Jake.
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next »