The Only Witness

Author's note: Usually I write about love stories or off of a nightmare I have had, but I decided I wanted to...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: Usually I write about love stories or off of a nightmare I have had, but I decided I wanted to challenge myself and write about a topic that was out of my realm of experience or knowledge along with a very difficult mental disorder.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15 Next »

Three

I woke up in the morning and could not force myself to eat, so I just went out to see Peter’s car was not there yet. I took out my phone and texted him to say I left early to meet some friends. I walked the 10 minute stroll but was shocked when I heard a sports car engine coming up behind me. I turned to see what crazy person was in a sports car at this time of the morning as Ash rolled down the window of the car, “Need a ride there, stranger?” He called as I focused on the sidewalk.
“No thank you.” I called back.
“Come on Lovette! What’s the harm?” He called and before he could take another breath I ran over to the car and jumped into the passenger’s seat, “Well that got your attention.” He said with pleasure as he rolled up the window.
“You can’t call me that outside of the studio, Ash.”
“Why not? That’s your name, isn’t it?”
I looked to his face but quickly looked away, “No, that is my modeling name.”
“Then what’s your real name?”
“Noel Lovette Morel.”
“So you go by your middle name?” He asked and I nodded, “May I ask why?”
“You wouldn’t understand.” I hissed as he parked in the parking lot of the school.
“Well I certainly won’t if you won’t even give me a chance,” He retorted, “Come on, Noel.”
I looked up to him with fury, “I hate people like you.”
“What? You mean models? Well you are one too.”
I shook my head, “No! I hate people who wave their popularity around like a flag in order to get other’s attention! You’re just like everyone else, fame obsessed!”
“Oh! That’s funny coming from the most popular model!”
“Do you think I want to be a model? Why do you think I change my appearance when I go anywhere but things dealing with modeling? I could come to school like the doll I am, but I don’t want to be another popularity obsessed person so I make myself invisible! Then you suddenly show up at my school and make it so no one will stop staring at me! I want to be iridescent yet you make it so everyone looks at me! And now I am being yelled at because you chose me over the other girls in gym class!” I hissed and then threw open his car door, “Do me a favor and stay away from me! I have enough to deal with so I don’t need the constant anger attacks made by your jealous fans!” I slammed his car door shut and stormed into the building. I ignored all staring eyes for the first part of the day, hid in the library for lunch, and pretended I was alone in my physics class, but when I went into the locker room I was tripped by a girl and my face smacked into another wall. When I sat up I was in a pool of my own blood as all the other girls laughed at me. I quickly pulled myself off of the ground and left the locker room. I ran down to the infirmary as the late bell rang and knocked on the door. When no one answered I realized the nurse had already left for the day and I was forced to go back to class. The locker room was already empty so I changed quickly and went outside to play soccer but was stopped by Coach Daniel who looked at my bruising cheek and chin with horror.
“What happened, Miss Morel? Are you alright?”
I smiled the best I could, “I tripped but when I went to go see the nurse I realized she left for the day.”
“Well you should sit out. You’re too injured to play.”
“Oh, I’m alright!” I said with a light laugh, “I can play.” I added before walking past the teacher and joining the game. For the second part of the class we played field hockey and I was whacked by many girls with their sticks in the legs before the class was over. I quickly changed, but when I got to the hallway I did not wait for the bell to ring like I was supposed to. I went outside and started walking home before Peter even had a chance to see me in such a horrible state. I sped-walk back to my house and when I got there I locked the door behind me and went to my room. I turned on some music and lay down on my bed. After a while I dozed off and did not wake up until my phone started ringing. It was Peter so I had to pick up, “Hello?”
“Lovette! Where the hell are you? You weren’t at school when I came to pick you up so I assumed you were with your friends but it’s almost six and you are still not here!”
“I-I’m sorry, Peter. I can’t go to work today.” I whispered and then quickly hung up the phone. I fell back asleep and did not wake up till there was a loud banging at my front door. I quickly made my way to answer but when I looked out the peephole I saw Peter and could not open the door.
“Noel! I know you’re in there! Answer this door!” He hissed and I felt myself finally breaking down. It was morning so I needed to go to school, but how could I go in my current state?
“I’m sorry, Peter! I’m not feeling well so I will be skipping school today!”
“You barely go to school enough days as it is, Noel! Get your ass out here or I’m coming in!” He hollered and I was out of choices. I unlocked the door and opened it without being in the door way. Peter came in and I quickly shut the door behind myself. He flipped on the light switch near us and turned to yell at me but froze, “Oh my god!” He gasped as he saw my black and blue cheek and chin, my blood covered uniform that I still had yet to change out of, and my bruised legs, “Who the hell did this to you? Were you attacked?”
“I don’t want to talk about it,” I whispered, “So are you going to force me to go to school or not?”
“Of course not! I can’t let anyone else see you like this!”
“Then can you please leave? I’m trying to sleep.”
“I’m not going to leave you alone when you were injured so badly, Noel! You’re going to the doctor!”
“No!” I hissed, “Just leave me alone!” I ran up the stairs but suddenly felt dizzy and stumbled. I fell on the stairs and burst into tears of anger. I couldn’t even run away. Peter quickly came up to me and put the back of his hand on my forehead.
“Damn it! You’re running a fever! You probably have an infection!” Peter picked me up and brought me to my room. He laid me on my bed and went over to my dresser. I was handed a pair of jean shorts and a short sleeve shirt I had been given by a perfume company last year but Peter had to help me change my clothes. He took off my glasses and pulled my hair back into a pony tail before picking me back up and taking me to his car. He buckled me into the passenger’s seat and then got into the driver’s seat. He started driving but went past the turn for my doctor’s office.
“Peter, you were supposed to turn back there to get to the doctor’s office.” I commented and he grunted.
“That would’ve been the right turn if we were going to the doctor,” He replied, “You’re too sick for her to help you so there’s no point in going there to have her send us where we’re going. But, the doctors at the hospital will know what to do,” He sighed, “Now I know you don’t like to go to hospitals and you have all right to not like them, but you need serious help right now, Noel. I can’t lose you too.” I looked up to Peter and saw his jaw tighten. The last time either of us had stepped into a hospital was when my father died and neither of us liked those places anymore. He had as much of a right to hate hospitals as I did since that is where his best friend in the world died in front of his eyes. I knew if Peter was willing to take me to a hospital I must be in worse shape than last night when I last saw my reflection. We drove up to the building and Peter quickly picked me up. I could see the horror on his face but before I could assure him I would not end up like my dad he sprinted to the counter of the emergency room and a woman stood with concern. Obviously it was a bad sign if someone had to be carried into the building while covered from almost head to toe in bruises, “My daughter’s running a fever and I don’t know what to do. I think she has an infection from these injuries.”
“Nurse!” The woman at the desk squawked and a middle-aged man quickly came over to me. He touched my forehead slightly before grabbing me from Peter and sprinting through the doors and into the main part of the hospital. I was set in a chair and the male nurse took my temperature but his face seemed to whiten even though the man was heavily tanned for a Latin male.
“I need a doctor stat!” The man hollered and suddenly people seemed to rush around me. I was carried by the nurse into a room where I was placed on a bed and a doctor in all white came at me with a stethoscope. He wrote down some information and then turned to the male doctor and a female nurse who had just come in to help. Two IV’s were stuck in my right hand as people started hustling around. Suddenly my body became hot and I felt dizzy.
“Peter!” I called quietly but no one seemed to notice, “Peter!” I repeated, but this time I yelled as loud as I could. After a moment the doctor came in with Peter and I started to leap from my bed but the male nurse from before grabbed me, “Peter!” I cried as tears started down my face and he ran to my side. I sat up and clung to his shirt as I became nearly hysterical.
“The fever must have gone up, she is frantic.” The male nurse commented to the doctor but Peter squeezed me to him.
“No, she is having an anxiety attack. She is afraid of hospitals and needles,” Peter explained to the doctor, “She watched her father die in a hospital and so she now has trauma towards these kinds of places.”
“Well then you may stay with her, but she must calm down. Her infection has almost made her fever reach 106 degrees and we cannot have it go up any higher.” The doctor replied and I looked to him.
“The infection is in my mouth,” I whispered and he seemed surprised, “My tooth was broken in the back and that is most likely where the infection set in.”
“What in the world gave you such horrible wounds, child?” The female nurse asked as she gave me a warm but sad smile to comfort me.
“A girl, who was jealous of a new boy in school taking interest in me but not in any of the other girls, tripped me and I hit my face on a concrete wall.”
“Girls can become childish when it comes to jealousy,” The nurse agreed and then handed me a clipboard with a sheet of paper, “But, honey, I need you to fill this out for me.”
I looked to the form and up to Peter, “How should I fill this out? What name should I choose?”
“What do you mean?” The doctor asked Peter.
Peter sighed and looked to the doctor, “You will be getting publicity soon since the famous model Lovette is under your care.”
“Lovette!” The female nurse yelled, “I knew you looked familiar! But you look a little different because of your injuries.”
I looked to Peter, “Is it wise to let others know I am injured?”
“It’s the only way to get you out of your next photo shoots.” He replied and I sighed, but nodded after a moment.

By the time my fever was brought down, my mouth was stitched up, and all of my bruises were covered, every news station on the TV only talked about the shocking news that famous model Lovette was put in intensive care at a Kennewick Hospital for nearly two days straight. I was finally going to be let out of the hospital today, but there were tons of news reporters waiting outside to talk to me. After giving the two nurses and the doctor an autograph I finally left the hospital and was ambushed by loads of reporters who shoved microphones in my face as photographers shot pictures of me. Peter helped me push through the crowd to his car and we quickly made our way to Peter’s house where I was to stay over the weekend that started today. For the two days Peter forced me to never get off his spare bed in his guest bedroom and he was not able to leave because of the mob of paparazzi outside. Late Sunday night, Peter came to me as I started to try to go to sleep, “Starting tomorrow, you will be attending school as your real self and not the shy, nerdy Noel we have been trying to convey for the past 5 years since I moved you to Kennewick. You will be treated differently and I know that will upset you, but it’s a better result than girls breaking your teeth over a boy. They are not dumb enough to mess with the most popular model in the country.”
“Alright,” I whispered but then looked up to Peter, “Can we go back to Phoenix, Peter? I hate all the people here. They are just popularity obsessed people around here and they will flock me if I show up as my true self.”
“I can’t leave Kennewick right now, Noel, and I am certainly not going to let you move by yourself.”
“Okay. Well I should go to bed. I have school in the morning.” I whispered and he kissed my forehead.
“Goodnight, Noel.” He whispered before leaving me to the stillness of the room that made it so difficult for me to finally go to sleep.