New Teen Ink Book: Bullying Under Attack Barnes & Noble Amazon

Just The Beginning

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next »

Condolences

Ding-dong!
Susan Kearney opened the door.
“Hello, Mrs. Kearney, I’m Clark Benson. I’d like to talk to you about your daughter.” Clark’s voice was dry, he always hated these things, he always felt like he was only making the family’s life more difficult. Also, the dream in his office was still haunting him.
“Of course, officer, come in.”
“Thank you, but actually I’m no officer, just a detective.” He said with a small smile and a chuckle. Susan’s mind was completely off of him though, and it was no doubt on her daughter. Clark walked in and closed the door behind him. He turned and jumped. There was a mirror on the hallway wall, and for an instant, he saw himself, drenched in blood and silently screaming. And then it was gone. Clark slapped his face, trying to get the dream out of his mind. He walked through the hallway into the kitchen. It was quaint, with normal this and that.
“Mam, first of all I want give my condolences.” Clark said as he sat down at a small table.
“Thank you. Katie was always so…careful. Careful about everything, she even thought a whole week about whether or not to go on that date with Jeremy. Would you like something to eat or drink?” It was like she was autopilot the whole time. She answered all of his questions cooperatively and calmly. She made him coffee, even though he had said he wasn’t thirsty. He asked her how close she was with Katie, how close Jeremy and Katie were, how long they’d been dating, among other things. As he was walking through the hallway, he turned around and tightly hugged the woman. He could tell she was surprised, but also grateful. She embraced him back started softly crying.
“It’s not fair.” She spoke.
“I know, and I can’t say I know what you’re going through, but I also lost someone about a month ago in a car accident.” They remained embraced for a good minute, and then he finally left.

“Boss! Boss!” Paul came running out of the building as Clark was walking into the office. “I went to the Swanson’s to ask questions and I called them before I got there and I was talking to Ms. Swanson and then a little girl started screaming in the background!” Clark stopped dead in his tracks. His dream. There was a little girl screaming.
“Was there laughing?”
“Yeah, how did you-“
“And someone saying ‘die’?”
“Did you already get the call? Anyway, the line got disconnected after the laughing and when I got there she was dead. It Jeremy, Clark. He was lying next to her covered in her blood.”
“We don’t know for sure it was him.”
“Well, yeah but it’s pretty obvious. He was the only other person in the house at the time, and he was the only one with Katherine.”
“We don’t know that, Paul.” Clark told Paul to go search the house for anything unusual, and Clark decided the next place he needed to look was the site of Katherine’s death.