Just The Beginning

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next »

Nightmare

“Hey boss, we got another missing person.” Paul Johnston said with a file in his hand.
“Name?” Clark Benson set down his coffee mug as he accepted the file.
“Katherine Kearney, 18, last anyone saw her she was out with her boyfriend two nights ago.”
“And what about the boyfriend?”
“Jeremy Swanson, alive, says the last thing he remembers is falling down a hill, then waking up covered in blood next to his dead girlfriend. Sir, wouldn’t our first suspect be the-“
“The boyfriend, yes Paul, I want you to go down to the Swanson’s and ask as many questions you can come up with. If he’s innocent, he better have a pretty damn good story as to why he woke up covered in blood next to a dead body.”
“Yes sir.” As Paul left, Clark put his head in his hands. This made three missing people this week in one small town. As he was resting his eyes, he heard someone start to scream. Frantically he looked around. The office was empty. It had been full of people just a second ago. The screaming seemed to come from everywhere. It was definitely a girl, he could tell as the screaming turned to pleading.
“PLEASE HELP! CLARK! HELP ME!”
“Where are you?!” He screamed and started running around the office. Suddenly, the screaming was abruptly stopped, and it was deathly silent. The lights flickered, and shut off. Clark couldn’t see his hand in front of his face. Then, loud and maniacal laughing erupted from directly behind him. He turned. He could feel their breath as they screeched their laughter. He was frozen still, he tried to move but he couldn’t. The laughter was so loud, and he could almost see the person an inch away from him screaming their hysteria in his face. Through the laughter, he could make out a word being drummed out by another person. A young man, repeating a word over and over again.
“die, die ,die ,die ,DIE!”
Clark woke up and fell out of his chair, the laughing still echoing in his head.
“Just a dream.” He kept saying, as if it would make the nightmare disappear.