Th Asylum | Teen Ink

Th Asylum

By IncorrectlyWired GOLD, Milford, Virginia
IncorrectlyWired GOLD, Milford, Virginia

"No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness." - Aristotle

Summary:

This is my deepest and most philosophical work. It's short-ish, but it has chapters so I did this category. He hears about secrets, sounds, light, justice, and words from the mouths of madmen, and begins to question the madness of their claims.

IncorrectlyWired

Th Asylum

Nomorose said...
Nomorose, Menomonie, Wisconsin

“He had no conscious knowledge of death, but like every animal of the Wild, he possessed the instinct of death. To him it stood as the greatest of hurts. It was the very essence of the unknown; it was the sum of the terrors of the unknown, the one culminating and unthinkable catastrophe that could happen to him, about which he knew nothing and about which he feared everything.”
― Jack London, White Fang

So thoughtful, The way you write can make a person wonder. Being alone during the night is hard yet so many ideas come into mind yet there are so many ideas to be afraid of.

Cheshirekat SILVER, Boise, Idaho

“A friend might well be reckoned the masterpiece of nature.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson
"Oh you can't avoid that; we're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat

Amazing!

I love the way you write. I makes you think and wonder. I think that this would really confuse the kids in my philosophy class. Wow so deep and insightful it made me wonder whether the crazy are sane and the sane crazy and ignorant. I thouroghly enjoyed it.

DallysGrrl PLATINUM, Middlesex, New Jersey
I thought that this novel was really great! The interesting stand that your character makes and the position that he's been put into is something that I rarely see done well. Your descriptions were wonderfully engrossing and I loved that you created three unique but ultimately alike characters that influence your narrator so greatly. I was impressed! I hope that you can check out some of my work, especially my thriller stuff like Solitude and Secrets, Secrets are No Fun. Thanks and great job!

Which is funny, because that one was one of my least favorites... Thank you though, I love when people love my work. I also love when people don't love it, and honestly tell me why, but in an entirely different way.

RhythmAndRhyme BRONZE, Rockford, Michigan

"There's no half-singing in the shower, you're either a rock star or an opera diva." ~~Josh Groban

lol you're welcome! I've always loved this sort of thing (even though I'm not particularly sure how to describe exactly what "this sort of thing" is....). I've read many things vaguely similar to this, but this, by far, was the best. All of your stuff is amazing, to be honest.

I especially love Robinson the Clown (both the original and the rewrite).

Wow! Thank you! :D This is without a doubt, the most complimentary comment I've ever received... and I usually receive good feedback. :O

This is utterly, absolutely, and without a doubt on this Earth the best, most powerful, most beautiful, and most insightful work I've read on this website.

It leaves one to wonder.

R5andParamore BRONZE, Manalapan, New Jersey
I really liked this. If you can check out my stuff that would be cool. REALLY loved it!

... Yes, I know. I noticed that as soon as it was too late. :/ That's the one thing I'd change about this site: you can't edit stuff once it's posted. Anyway, what did you think otherwise? :P

JustEmily PLATINUM, Cicero, Indiana

That's HAWT!

Just wondering: Is it supposed to be "The Asylum" and not "Th Asylum"?

on Jun. 29 2011 at 9:30 am
NinjaGirl BRONZE, Valley City, North Dakota

The only thing holding us back in life is our desire to stay where we are and not venture further.
~Some random person on the Internet :P

Wow. That was quite intriguing and really makes the reader think! I really don't have any criticisms! Awesome job. Keep up the good work :)

freeflow23 GOLD, Durham, North Carolina

Saul saw Goliath as too big to kill. David saw he was too big to miss.
W.W.J.D.

This was an intriguing read. It's amazing how your mind works and how you managed to put it all on paper.

on Jun. 28 2011 at 10:44 am

Thank you! (And I know what you mean about the no criticisms thing) occasionally I'll read stories that are too good, or I'm just not thoughtful enough, so I can't think of any complaint.

on Jun. 28 2011 at 10:41 am

Thank you! It's always been something I was interested in, and honestly, (not quite to the same extent of course) the main character's thoughts are my thoughts. I pretty much wrote the first two chapters verbally at three in the morning. :D

on Jun. 28 2011 at 10:39 am

Yeah... I meant that it's short for a chapter book. I wasnt' quite sure what to call it. It seemed slightly short even for a novella, but slightly too long for a short story. :/ Anyway, thanks for the feedback!

WritingSpasms, Los Angeles, California

"Devils run when a good man goes to war."
- River Song from Doctor Who (Ep. A Good Man Goes to War)

This is probably one of the most interesting novels I have read on here. Honestly, I have no criticisms. I love psycho thrillers. They creep the living daylights out of me, but I can never stop reading them. And I assure you that you've done a fantastic job of doing that. xD Well done!

Garnet77 PLATINUM, Sinagpore, Other

"Everything's a triangle." ~ My mother

"Write what you love, write what you care about, because sometimes, it's the easiest way to be heard."

Even agreeing with CarrieAnn13 that the long dialogue made it a bit unrealistic, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I think you should keep it exactly the way it is, because your message is really interesting. Nobody does ever know if they're 'mad'--that's just a term for someone who thinks differently than everyone else. If there were a favorite button for a novel, I would totally make this a favorite. It was kind of poetic, in a way, and I absolutely loved your diction. It was perfect. You described the character correctly, and his thoughts, though they seemed mellow, had an edge of 'craziness'. 

I know I've gone on and said how amazing this is, but I just wanted to point out one sentence in the fourth chapter: "Like the other two, I have a leaning towards his way of thinking." It just seems a little odd, with the word 'leaning'. Maybe try a different one?? 

Oh, and I wanted to mention that this actually passes for a novella, I think (if it's below 17,000 words, but more than a short story would be). :) Just saying, since in the summary you mentioned that it was kind of short. And again, amazing story. Well told.

Finchy BRONZE said...
Finchy BRONZE, Fort Myers, Florida

IncorrectlyWired

I enjoyed your story! Ever since I was old enough to read, I have enjoyed psychological thrillers. Getting to listen in on the thoughts of a man losing his mind is something that can only be experienced in fictionl, and you have done a swell job at representing it here. I thought this was a very dark, brooding novel and look forward to reading more of your work.

Cheers

Finchy

:D I didn't say you did... I actually pretty much said you didn't.

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

IncorrectlyWired, do I seem like the type of person that would write 'OMG'? ;)

Thank you for explaining the monologue.