Mellow Yellow

Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Next »

To Finish

BEEEPPP BEEEEPP Mary opened her eyes to find herself in the hospital. It took her a moment to remember where she was, though then it all flooded back to her as she saw a jumbo pack of soup. She remembered the pain, the laughs, her tears, and a strange women who'd swooped down to help her, like the archangel of severely pregnant women. However, she wasn't the only important human. She would hate that little thing, give it to adoption, or a family that actually wanted a kid. She could walk through the lobby and find a waiting father who looked slightly like John. She'd press it in his arms, symbolically harming the one who had fault in all of this. She was pulled out of her plans by a knock on the door.
''Come in!'' she called warily.
''Hi'', she said as the woman came in.
''Would you like to meet your new child?'' the nurse said, a smile plastered on her lips. My god, she probably says that with the same smile to everyone she sees, She thought. Even without an answer the nurse came over and handed her a blue bundle. Mary stared down at it, determined to find some flaw in this dreadful thing that was threatening her life. She had once heard a saying, that when you see your first child you start to live again, as if you yourself have opened your eyes to the world for the first time. She had always thought it was stupid, just a cheesy happy line to help mothers get used to the idea of having a child, even if it meant you would loose your shape forever. However, as she looked down at the face, Mary Grath was born again. She traced all the little curves and folds of her babies face and saw John's cheeks. The little boy had his cheeks, and his eyes and his ears and his mouth, and she did not hate him. She adored this cute little mini version, and through all the pain, and the many times she had cried herself to sleep, she laughed. A full throaty full out laugh of everything that had come, and everything that still would come. As she laughed the baby laughed with her, and she realized that that, that was hers.
''Have you got a name?'' the woman asked, and Mary looked up at her for the first time. The first thing she noticed were her eyes, intense green ones.
''No, i don't'', Mary answered truthfully, ''Any ideas?''
''What about Babafemi?'' She said. Mary let the word run over her tongue. Babafemi... it rolled wonderfully and sounded incredibly crazy and wild.
''I like it'', she decided, ''Where did you hear it?''
''It's a family name.'' the nurse answered with a hint of a smile.
''Babafemi.'' The word seamed to heal her. The nurse started to leave, on her way out she called out, ''Don't forget to let her know!'' Let her know? Let who know? She didn't possibly think that she was... Mary blushed. Aunt Adelaine would love to hear that. Oh, of course. She dialed the familiar number and held the phone up to her cheek.
''Hello?'' the voice echoed out of the receiver.
''Hi, Aunt Adelaine...'' she took a deep breath, ''I'm at the hospital, there's someone I think you ought to meet.''