Mellow Yellow

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Next »

A Simple

Yes. Greg Manning had killed someone.
It wasn't as if anyone would really care, it was a poor mother and child in Africa. He could remember it as if it was yesterday. She had had deep brown hair, and green eyes, that was the first thing he'd noticed about her. Dafina was her name, precious. She'd come into the room, so happy, and optimistic, though in a time of crisis. ''Are you hurt?'' she'd asked, such a sweet voice. It didn't matter now though. She'd come back to him, found him back home to tell him the news.
A knock on the door. Who could that be? Greg wondered, It was 2 am, a bit late for a friendly house call. Another knock. ''Okay, I'm coming, I’m coming!'' he yelled out pulling himself up from the couch. He opened the door. ''Hi..'' she said breathlessly. Dafina, he'd thought it was a summer thing, something he wouldn't have to carry around for life. He was wrong. God, how wrong he was. ''Hi.'' he answered confused. ''I thought you might want to meet someone'', she said and then she pulled the kid out from behind her. My, it was a complete replica of him! Only the eyes.... they were hers. Green ones that seemed to puncture into his heart and read what it intended. ''Why don't you come in?'' he asked. This couldn't happen. He couldn't have a kid here to drag him down. He was engaged! He couldn't have a bastard child! He led them to the dining room, he himself walking dazed to the kitchen to get drinks. Botulinum, he'd seen many a good soldiers die of it. Slowly, he tipped it into the sweet apple juice. For her, he brought water. She wouldn't have to die, she could go home. ''Here'', he handed out the drinks. The child smelled the cup then it tipped into its mouth. ''His names Babafemi'', she said. Oh my god, he was going to kill a human being! He was mad, he was insane, yet he was still following through with it. Then Babafemi shrieked, a horrible sound. To die of botulinum was to die a very painful death, it cut off your entire nervous system. The child fell down, suddenly a lifeless form. Somewhere, in the back of his head, he heard Dafina screaming. ''Do something!'' she shrieked, a command. And he did. Without second thought he picked up a butter knife of the table. That day not one life was taken, but two. The worst thing being that no one would know.
Greg closed his eyes and remember the last moment. When the warm brown eyes had met the piercing green, and she knew.