Croak | Teen Ink

Croak

Author's note: One day in advisory my friend and I were talking about dissections. She then suggested the story idea. At first I simply dismissed it as being a terrible idea. But I actually started it at home, and really got involved with it.

From the rancid smell of formaldehyde and the clang of scalpels and pins, I knew what would be happening in fourth period.

“Dissections today,” Mr. Bray announced. He was in his forties, and had a large nose. He barely had hair, and at the sides of his head where he did, it was a wispy gray color. “Remember, groups of four,” he said. Immediately, people shot up out of their chairs and moved towards one boy. James Montreal. They shouted his name, crowded around him, pleading for him to be in their group. Mr. Bray was tranquil, and turned away to get the frogs. James on the other hand, was grinning smugly. He yawned, and dramatically stood up from his chair. Casually, he strolled over to me, as people watched, dumb-struck.

“Hello-o-o Aria,” he held onto the word, and flashed me a perfectly white smile.

“Hi?” I raised my eyebrows and looked back to my dissection questions. Another girl, Emma, sat down next to me. Her glasses glinted in the light. She greeted me, but James, with his enormous ego, thought she was talking to him.

“Hey Emma,” he leaned over the table and grinned again. She looked at him, bored, and turned away from him. He shrugged, and slouched back.

“Barry, hey!” James shouted to his friend. Barry was James’s look-a-like. He noisily joined us, laughing and joking with James. Meanwhile, the other students, disappointed, settled for other people. One blonde-haired girl with bright yellow converse who was president of some thing for smart people was laughing with another girl whom I remembered had almost never gotten a single question wrong on any assignment. Next to them, was a girl who always spoke in third person, and a girl who always made strange noises. Normally I wouldn’t have paid any attention to them, but I noticed that they were all in National Genius Intelligence Society. That was unfair. They would surely pass the dissection, but I had a big-headed celebrity, a guy whose name was always called for detentions, and Emma. She was smart too, but would we both be able to make up for their stupidity? Mr. Bray began to call up groups to get a frog. We were the last table to be called, and when we went up, he had bad news.
“Well, it looks like we’re one frog short,” Mr. Bray frowned apologetically.

“No!” Barry groaned irritably, and James joined in.

“You’ll have to share with another group,” he said firmly. Barry groaned again, but James sprung into action.

“Well, ah, under these circumstances, don’t you think it would be best if, all for the reason of learning and experience, we had our own frog?” he hinted with his eyebrows. What was he doing?

“Well,” Mr. Bray shifted from one foot to another. His small green eyes were darting back and forth. He was falling under the spell of the famous actor. “Alright,” he said uncertainly, running out the door. Barry slapped James on the back, and they laughed.

“Where’s he going?” I whispered to Emma.

“He going to get a frog…a live one from outside,” she said, sounding as if a relative had been run over. I, on the other hand, was excited! A live frog that would not reek of formaldehyde! I had seen many frogs before, but the only ones I saw were always flattened on the road. It would be interesting to actually have a live frog. The other groups were talking amongst themselves, seizing the opportunity of the teacher not being in the room. Many had whipped out their phones. Others were crowding around James, who was talking to Barry about some important movie premiere of his. Many were asking for pictures, autographs, everything of the sort. Emma and I sat in the back, completely disgusted.

“Why’s he even here?” I asked. What did a famous actor, who starred in three movies so far, that shattered the box office records, want with a public school?

“He said he wants to ‘see what it’s like to be normal’. He just wants more publicity,” she waved her hand dismissively. We sat in the back of the room, watching James repeat lines from certain scenes in his movies. James had movie star type blonde hair that seemed to be perfect from all angles. He had a flawless face with light blue eyes, and a perfect nose. Most importantly was his voice, that was not too high or too low, and it was loud and clear. I disliked everything about him. The door opened, and everyone darted back to their seats.

“Alright, here’s one,” Mr. Bray said nervously. He was carrying a jar, and inside was a green, skimpy frog that was croaking. Emma gasped, but James and Barry grinned maniacally.

“Can we kill it now?” Barry said, grabbing for the jar. Mr. Bray held it away from him, and went to the storage cupboard. He rummaged around, and took out a bottle of some chemical, and a white cotton ball. Swiftly, he jammed the cotton over the opening of the bottle, tipped the bottle upside down very quickly, and turned it back. The cotton ball was doused in the liquid. Mr. Bray handed the cotton ball to James, who took it very eagerly.

“I’m going to open it, you drop it in, and I’ll put the lid back on,” Mr. Bray explained. James nodded, and Emma frowned. Mr. Bray flipped the lid off, James plopped the cotton into the jar, and the lid was put back.

“What did that do?” Barry said.

“The chemical on the cotton ball suffocates the frog,” Mr. Bray said, licking his lips. I wanted him to elaborate but he seemed caught up in the horror that was happening in the jar. Emma turned away completely, but I grimly watched. The frog scrabbled at the transparent walls, but it was no use. I noticed it was slowing down, having difficulty moving. After a few minutes it simply squatted down, its throat bulging mutely. Then it was dead. The entire time, James and Barry were watching intently, as if it were a television screen.

“I suggest we name it Gilboz,” Barry said suddenly.

“What?” Emma said, finally turning back to us. Mr. Bray removed the frog from the jar and pinned it on a tray.

“See, it sounds like ‘Gilbo’, but there’s a silent z at the end. So it’s spelled G-I-L-B-O-Z,” Barry explained.

“That’s so stupid, and it doesn’t make any sense…let’s do it.” James eagerly grabbed the sharp scalpel that glinted underneath the ceiling lights. I could see my reflection in the knife. My black hair and dark brown eyes. Mr. Bray shushed the class and said we could begin.

“No, wait!” Emma cried, grabbing James. His arm was raised above his head, and he was holding the scalpel like a dagger.

“Yeah, we’re supposed to make a small, two inch incision in the stomach,” I said worriedly. I really needed an excellent grade for this class. Emma nodded along with me.

“Aria’s right,” she said. James shrugged, and lowered his hand. He gently placed the sharp end of the scalpel to the frog’s grayish green stomach, about to slice through. He cast his eyes down, but I noticed he glanced at Barry. Barry gave a slight nod of his head, and I realized what was happening.

“DIE, GILBOZ!” James cackled. He swiftly raised the blade up and slammed it down, jamming the knife into the frog. A muffled thump emitted, but it was not loud enough to penetrate the normal bustling of the class. Emma gasped, but I remained stoic. James and Barry were snickering. Emma stood up snootily and made her way toward Mr. Bray. But I grabbed her shoulder.

“What?! Our frog is ruined, we need a new one!” she hissed.

“Yeah but… it’s James Montreal,” I said pathetically, nodding toward the celebrity. Emma opened her mouth to protest, but I cut her off. “Mr. Bray probably won’t even take off points, since he’s famous and stuff,” I shrugged. I was lying, but I didn’t want to get in trouble, and get a bad grade. When we turned in our frogs anyway, they would all be sliced open, and their guts all punctured and oozing out. There would be no difference. I half dragged Emma back to her seat, and she remained silent.

“What’s this?” Barry grinned, poking a bluish red lump of an organ. I sighed, and flipped the worksheet open. With most of the questions, I could answer them without the dissection anyway. I nudged Emma, and we both worked on the questions, making up measurements for questions about the frog’s heart diameter and such.

“Let’s cut off the head,” James said, pointing the scalpel at the frog’s neck.

“Is this frog blood?” Barry marveled at his drenched fingers.

“I think I just snapped the leg bone or something,” James laughed, flinging the limb around. Emma and I scribbled in answers. I could see that Emma was thoroughly disgusted. But I wanted to join James and Barry, poking at organs and identify the bones. Just, not in a massacre-ish way. Suddenly I noticed it was deathly quiet. Maybe it was one of those awkward silences. But I heard heavy footsteps, and apprehension was building up, I thought I could feel it thickening in my skull. It was Mr. Bray. He marched slowly to our lab table, and gaped. I felt myself flush with embarrassment. The entire class was staring at us, whispering and frowning.

“Did you follow the directions at all?!” Mr. Bray sputtered finally. Emma and I were wallowing in shame, but James seemed perfectly calm.

“Yes, we did. So far we found the lungs, heart and arteries, spinal cord, and the stomach. I was trying to find the liver, so I was kind of splitting things open,” James said innocently. For once, I was glad that a famous child actor was in my lab group. But Mr. Bray was not easily fooled.

“Am I supposed to believe that?!” he yelled. James sighed, and looked guilty. I gasped; he was going to tell the truth.

“Okay. I actually didn’t know what to do, so I asked that group over there, and they told me to do this,” James pointed accusingly to a lab group that consisted of the kids that were constantly ending up in detention. They were all Barry’s friends. “I just lied, because I didn’t want to get them in trouble,” he looked down to the floor. But Mr. Bray was focused on something else.

“What happened to the head?!” He cried. I barely resisted a palm to my forehead. The green head was off to the side, its cold, dead eyes staring blankly at James.

“I thought we had to find the vocal cords too,” he shrugged, casually peering into the severed neck. Mr. Bray’s eyes were bulging out, his hands looking like he could strangle something.

“You lose thirty points…detention…and you clean up the room,” his breathing ragged, his face red. Emma and I nodded vigorously, but James and Barry shrugged as if it were nothing. Mr. Bray stalked back to his desk, and gradually, the usual murmuring returned.

“Ah, he believed it!” Barry laughed, and James did the same.

“You lied, and you’re laughing?” Emma blustered.

“Well you want us to tell the truth, and completely fail this?” James protested. Emma and I frowned, and took the tray away. Emma went off to clean the pins, tweezers, and the scalpel, and left me with the dead frog. It was a horrible mess. The frog was butchered. Its long, broken legs were strewn around, part of its arm severed only halfway. The head was indeed cut off, and a sticky gray film coated it. In some parts of the body, Barry ripped off the flesh, revealing pink muscle tissue. The organs were everywhere, spilling out of the body. The worst part, however, was the eyes. It was staring upward, its tiny black pupils fixed on me. I shuddered.
“Sorry, Gilboz,” I muttered, and dropped the massacred amphibian into the trash.

“Aria, do you have the scalpel?” Emma slid into my field of vision, as I threw away the flimsy plastic tray.

“No,” but just as I said it a thump came from the trash can. I peered down. “Yes, but not anymore,” I grimaced.

“You threw it away?” she said, exasperated.

“I didn’t mean to! And I’m not gonna get it!” I held up my hands. She rolled her eyes, and went to a different table to clean up. I glanced at the scalpel in the garbage. Against all odds, it ended up in the sticky webbed hand of the frog.

A rapping came from my outside my bedroom window. I sat up intently, and looked up, not breathing. A blinding light was shining at my eyes, and I could only see a silhouette of someone standing. My first thought was aliens, who had come to abduct me. Then the shadow brought its hand up to my window again and knocked. I held a pillow in front of me, in a defense position. I cautiously stood up, and the light lowered. I finally saw who it was.

“What are you doing here?!” I hissed at James.

“I lost my phone,” he answered seriously. Even at two in the morning he still looked prepared for a famous director that would swoop down and cast him with the leading role.

“Go home!” I whispered, throwing the pillow at the window. It, unfortunately, simply bounced back off of the glass and did not hit his face.

“I think I lost it when we were cleaning up the science room,” he answered, unperturbed.

“So what?!” I said.

“Help me find it Aria,” he looked at me with his shining blue eyes.

“Why don’t you ask Barry or Emma?” I said, exasperated.

“I did,” he grinned, and gestured behind him. There was Barry, looking like he was having the time of his life. Emma stood next to him, drooping from her drowsiness.

“Why do I have to come?”

“If you don’t, I’ll tell Mr. Bray about that test you cheated on,” he threatened.

“What are you talking about? I never cheated!” I sputtered.

“I know, but who do you think he’ll believe? You, or the legendary actor who can fake anything?” he put on an innocent face. Grumbling, I threw on a hoodie and climbed out my window.

“Glad you could join us,” James smiled.

“Shut up and let’s go,” I growled, and we set off for the school.

Emma and I crossed our arms and waited impatiently. We were in the dark science lab James was searching around, and Barry was helping.

“You’re just gonna stand there Aria?” he whispered, opening a cupboard.

“Pretty much,” I nodded. I wanted no part of this. James and Barry continued to turn the room upside down, and a few minutes later, I was bored. My eyes wandered around the room. Eventually, I saw the trash can, and thought to look in it. Maybe he dropped it in by accident. I strolled over and peered down. But it was empty except for a few papers at the bottom. Shrugging, I returned to Emma’s side. But I suddenly stopped in mid-step. Hadn’t that been the trash can I threw Gilboz away in? What happened to him? I rechecked the bin, and there was only the thin layer of scrap paper at the bottom. But I noticed that it was all covered in a sticky liquid.

“I found it!” James said triumphantly. Emma sighed with relief, and I slowly backed away from the trash can.

“Let’s go,” Barry headed for the door. We followed him out into the hall. It was eerie, because the lights were flickering slightly in certain places.

“You guys did nothing,” James huffed, stuffing the phone into his pocket.

“We didn’t even need to be here,” I pointed out. We were reaching the main entrance. Emma sprung forward, and pushed the door. But it would not budge. Barry moved to help her, leaning his entire self against it. Soon we were all squashed up against the door, trying to force it open. But it firmly remained shut.

“It locked on us!” James cried. Suddenly, I had a thought.

“How did we get in here in the first place?” Emma asked quietly.

“Uh, we went through these doors,” James answered, annoyed.

“…the doors are locked at night,” Emma said.

“Then how come when we got here I opened the doors, and only now they’re locked!” Barry said, panicked.

“It’s a trap,” I said suddenly. They all turned to me. “It’s a trap. Someone wanted us to come in here, and then they locked us in,” I whispered. We all moved closer together, suddenly afraid that the slightest murmur might bring a serial killer upon us.

“Let’s try the back entrance,” Emma suggested. We moved slowly, still in a bundled cluster. Suddenly Barry broke away from us.

“Come on, the doors are probably just faulty or something,” he laughed. We all shushed him, but he scoffed.
“I never thought you would agree with ‘em, James,” he pointed at him accusingly. James looked shifty.

“Well doors don’t just lock like that…” he squirmed. I had never seen him so unsure and timid. Barry looked away, disappointed. We kept walking down the dark hallways, when we passed by the boys’ bathroom.

“I really gotta go,” Barry said suddenly. Emma and I began to argue that we needed to stick together, but James remained mute. Barry ignored us and darted inside. We waited outside awkwardly, watching the looming shadows for any sudden movements. Five minutes passed then ten, then thirty. I constantly checked my watch, as the minutes ticked by faster and faster.

“Er, maybe you should check on him?” Emma suggested. James nodded and slipped inside. A few more minutes passed, and suddenly James’s grim voice emitted from the bathroom.

“You guys should see this,” he said.

“Uh, no thanks,” I said, and Emma smiled a little.

“No, really,” he poked his blonde head out the door. Emma and I looked at each other, and slowly went inside. At first I wondered what I was supposed to be looking at. Then I saw James crouched down next to something large. It was Barry, lying in a pool of his own blood. I didn’t know what to do at first. Emma did. The first thing she did was run to one of the stalls, and become sick. James remained by Barry, muttering and holding his wrist.

“He’s dead,” I said, to save him the trouble of checking his pulse. I knew, because there was no way that someone could lose that much blood and still be alive.

“Look,” he mumbled, gesturing for me to crouch down. I did, and saw what he was pointing at. A thin gaping hole in his chest with liquid still pouring out. “Stabbed,” he said grimly, over Emma’s retching. He stood up, and moved towards the door. I knelt closer to the body, and noticed something he did not. A small green limb, covered in a sticky film.

“Call the police,” Emma said weakly.

“I already tried that, but my phone’s dead, and the phones in the other classrooms don’t work. I tried,” he said. Emma and I instinctively reached into our pockets for our phones, but they were empty.

“We could just stay here, until the janitors come in the morning,” I whispered. Emma and James nodded, and we sat down in the middle of the hallway. We did not say anything. We were immersed in our own thoughts. But suddenly something stirred behind me. We all stood up and crowded around each other.

“In there,” James whispered, pointing to a classroom. We scuttled inside and locked the door. It was the social studies room. A bunch of flags from different countries hung off the wall, forlorn. James strolled to the chalkboard and took something. “This is mine,” he said grimly. He was holding the teacher’s pointer, which was a long stick. I turned to the flags, and picked one with the longest pole. I removed the flag from it, and noticed that it was a little heavy, which was good. I nodded at Emma. She looked all around the room, searching for a weapon. She could not take a flag, because the rest of them had short poles. They would not be handy for self defense. Emma suddenly lit up, and sprinted towards the bookshelf. She picked a long, flat atlas.

“It’s all that’s left,” she shrugged, holding it like a baseball bat. We stood next to each other, and faced the door. Whatever was behind it was what killed Barry. I waited for the door to come crashing down, with the insane killer behind it. But it was absolutely quiet, except for our ragged breaths.

“Let’s go,” James said, twisting the golden doorknob. He threw the door open, and we all flailed our weapons in random directions. Soon we realized that no one was there, and ran out.

“Where’s the back door?” James cried.

“Down there and to the left!” I panted. I heard Emma trip up behind me, but then heard her get back up again. James and I rounded the corner, and reached the back door. We pushed up against it, but it did not budge. I kicked it, charged into it, tried to pick the lock. But we were locked.

“Where’s Emma?” James said suddenly. She was not by my side, clutching her atlas.

“Go back,” I muttered, and we retraced our steps. I stopped at the corner, and did not want to go any further.

“Just me?” James said quietly. I nodded, and he left. I breathed in deeply, and waited. He came back, his face looking down at the ground. “Stabbed in the back,” he said. I realized, with my stomach in a lump, that I could have saved her. When I heard her trip that was probably when whatever killed her got her. And she tried to get back up, but collapsed again. James and I stood there, not sure of what to do. We were locked in.

“Break a window,” I mumbled, and he understood. We walked into a random room, and dragged a desk to the window. James stood up, and gripped his pointer stick. Grunting, he jabbed it through the glass, and it shattered. He used the stick to brush away the sharp glass, and held out a hand for me. I grabbed it, and he hoisted me up.

“Let’s get outta here,” he said. I put my foot on the windowsill, about to jump out. Freedom was so close, and fresh air was exactly what I needed. Suddenly James yelped in pain. His grip on my arm loosened. Horrified, I turned to him. I was afraid that I would see a bloody hole in his chest. But he was clutching his ankle. “Something cut me!” he said, balancing on one foot. I held out my hand to steady him, when he fell off the desk. There was a sickening crunch. I jumped off my perch to help him. But he was bleeding everywhere, and was unmoving. At first I did not understand why, but then vaguely saw the glass shards strewn across the floor.

“James, get up!” I breathed hysterically. But his perfect blue eyes that everyone fell for were glazed over. Then a sound that was actually louder than my uncontrollable sobs emitted from behind me. A croaking noise that resembled laughing. I slowly turned to the desk. There was a dark shape. Then I realized what it was. “Gilboz?” I whispered. The frog was somehow still alive, even though its belly had a huge hole. It was disturbing, seeing the small, grayish heart still pumping. Most of the green skin was peeling off. Its head was loosely attached to his body, and wobbled every time his throat bulged for a croak. He was missing two appendages. But in its only hand, it held the scalpel that I mistakenly threw away. It was covered in my friends’ blood. That’s it. I am crazy. I figured because I was so tired, I was hallucinating. I moved toward the frog, cautiously and curiously. He now seemed harmless and pitiful, missing so much of its body. “Hey Gilboz,” I cooed. He continued to croak. I held out my hand, and he hopped into my palm. He was so paranormally cold, and some of his organs actually fell out onto my skin. I plucked the bloody scalpel out of his tiny, sticky hand, and placed it on the edge of the desk. It felt so real. He looked at me blankly, still croaking. I gently placed him back where he was, and he still looked at me. I felt strangely calm, even though three people I knew had just been murdered. “You didn’t kill them, did you?” I bent down so that my eyes were level with his. “I’m just crazy, aren’t I?” I chuckled, Gilboz waddling away. “You’re a good frog, right?” I fussed. He was still moving towards the edge of the desk. I looked out the window, seeing the faintest trace of the sunrise, feeling the cool breeze on my hot forehead. I looked back down at Gilboz.

He had the scalpel in his hand.

He leapt at my neck.

The End