A Day in October

Author's note: My inspiration for this piece was from a previous relationship of mine. Although nothing to the...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: My inspiration for this piece was from a previous relationship of mine. Although nothing to the extent of what happened to my character happened to me, but it got me thinking that there are girls out there who are treated this way and are the victims of screwed up individuals. I hope that girls in high school or even women in married relationships will gain hope, inspiration, and insight into this somewhat common problem.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 6 7 8

* * *

“Abby, I believe that with counseling you will get past this and find your peace,” Dr. Moor said as she smiled her gagging fake smile.
My peace?! She wanted me to find my peace? Did no one pay any attention to me? Maybe if they did they would realize I am fine and this counseling is a waste of my time. I couldn’t stand it anymore.
“Dr. Moor,” I began, “I know you think you know what’s right for me, but you don’t. I am just fine and don’t need you with your bogus smiles and fake sympathy to try and tell me what to do. You know, so many people ask me why I don’t hate him for what he did to me and my friends. You know what I tell them?” I took a deep breath, trying to calm myself from ranting, but was unsuccessful.
“I tell them I can’t hate him. He was a tortured soul, lost and confused. He loved me and didn’t know how to handle it. You want me to make ‘my peace’? I already did. I made my peace the day he killed himself in front of my eyes. And I don’t need a shrink, who thinks she knows me, to tell me what I do and don’t need to do. So thanks, but no thanks for your time.”
I stood from the overly-comfy couch and stormed towards the door. I reached out for the door knob and stopped cold. I turned back to face her. Her expression had not changed. She was still complacent and emotionless. I was surprised. The last rant I gave to a shrink made her cry. Then it hit me.
“Wow,” I said, honestly shocked, “you actually did it.”
She wasn’t like any shrink I had ever seen. She didn’t pressure me to share my feelings or even press me to recount my story. She was smarter than that. She was more cunning and devious than I would ever have expected.
“Did what, Abby?” she asked innocently. Like she didn’t already know!
I laughed. “You actually got inside my head.” She made me think everything on my own, never once prodding me for a specific answer. Even though there was no reason for me to need counseling, which she knew from the start, she followed it through and proved she could get inside my brain without the need. Boy, she was good.
She laughed too, a genuine laugh and smile. She wrote something else down on her paper and glanced back up at me, nonchalantly.
“You may go, Abby. I will not require any more sessions with you. Have a good day,” she said returning to the ice queen.
I smirked reaching for the door knob, pulling the door open and shutting it behind me as I left.
With my keys already in my hand, I walked to my car. I was never going to forget; that much was certain.
My cell phone buzzed in my pocket
“Hello?”
“I’m so bored!” the voice whined. I laughed.
“I’ll get the movie, you get the popcorn. I’ll be there soon.”
“Oh, Abby, you’re a life saver!” I sighed and smiled at the irony of the comment. I was not a life saver, but he was.
“Bye, James,” I said and hung up the phone.
I unlocked my car and sat down in the driver’s seat. Sticking my key into the ignition, my car purred to life. I sat and smiled to myself. Daren is gone, never coming back, my best friend and I are closer than ever, and a boy, who already proved he would give his life for mine, is waiting to see me.
I put the car into drive and headed forward, not looking back.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 6 7 8

This book has 10 comments. Post your own now!

haleyy. said...
Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:32 am
I absolutely LOVED this! It had me captivated and held held my attention the whole entire time I was reading! Great job!(:

Midnightmermaid said...

god how do you tun the pg?????

andromeda13 said...
That was really great to read. You did a good job, and told the story perfectly.

emilybwrites said...
this was fantastic! i  loved your use of imagery...keep it up! please check out my poem "Forgotten Domain" and comment. i would like some insight from fellow writers

Y. said...
absolutly amazing it was brilliant!!!!! great job

flyinggemini said...
wow.  wow wow wow.  you are an amazing writer.  keep going because you have amazing talent.  this book literally had me on the edge of my seat.  i can relate to every single one of the characters which i have never experience before.  you have extreme talent!!!

leaf44 said...
That was really good.  I love how you recount the story through flashbacks.  I personally love putting flashbacks in but I've never used them quite like you do.

summertime said...
Jan. 31, 2011 at 10:56 am
Enjoyed the style of your writing. Hope you are inspired to write more stories.

chaos1 said...
Jan. 27, 2011 at 6:11 am
Nice job on getting the viewer interested in reading the book.  The sooner I can read the book, the better.

happy replied...
Jan. 27, 2011 at 8:33 am
captivating