A Day in October

Author's note: My inspiration for this piece was from a previous relationship of mine. Although nothing to the...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: My inspiration for this piece was from a previous relationship of mine. Although nothing to the extent of what happened to my character happened to me, but it got me thinking that there are girls out there who are treated this way and are the victims of screwed up individuals. I hope that girls in high school or even women in married relationships will gain hope, inspiration, and insight into this somewhat common problem.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 5 6 7 8 Next »

* * *

I stared at the palms of my hands, remembering. There was blood everywhere; all over the floor, the walls, and myself. I remembered looking at my hands and seeing nothing but red. Students were screaming and police burst down the door and swarmed the room.
Daren lay right in front of me, so close I could see a dull glaze consume his once beautiful, caramel eyes. I sat over Daren’s body, stunned by shock and sorrow, and sobbed. After a few moments, Casey came over and helped me to my feet.
James was being loaded onto a stretcher; to my extreme surprise he was alive, but barely. I reached out and grasped his hand while Casey and I held onto each other and walked beside the stretcher.
They loaded James into the ambulance. It sailed, screaming and wailing, down the street to save his life. Casey and I stood there on the sidewalk, silently, as we both cried; cried in fear for our friend’s life hanging in the balance, cried in relief that we couldn’t be hurt anymore, and cried in horror of the death before our eyes.
Police swarmed everywhere. I knew before long I would be questioned until I had nothing left to say. Glancing back over my shoulder, I saw a gurney supporting a heavy, long black bag. I stepped forward. Casey hesitated but didn’t leave my side. The officer pushing the gurney stopped when I approached and a look of sympathy came to his eyes. Letting my final tears slip down my face, I placed my hand on the lifeless body where Daren’s heart used to beat.
“Goodbye, Daren,” I whispered. I stepped back and gave the professionals room to load the body into the truck. Casey and I embraced each other and didn’t let go for a long time. It was finally over.

This book has 10 comments. Post your own now!

haleyy. said...
Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:32 am
I absolutely LOVED this! It had me captivated and held held my attention the whole entire time I was reading! Great job!(:

Midnightmermaid said...

god how do you tun the pg?????

andromeda13 said...
That was really great to read. You did a good job, and told the story perfectly.

emilybwrites said...
this was fantastic! i  loved your use of imagery...keep it up! please check out my poem "Forgotten Domain" and comment. i would like some insight from fellow writers

Y. said...
absolutly amazing it was brilliant!!!!! great job

flyinggemini said...
wow.  wow wow wow.  you are an amazing writer.  keep going because you have amazing talent.  this book literally had me on the edge of my seat.  i can relate to every single one of the characters which i have never experience before.  you have extreme talent!!!

leaf44 said...
That was really good.  I love how you recount the story through flashbacks.  I personally love putting flashbacks in but I've never used them quite like you do.

summertime said...
Jan. 31, 2011 at 10:56 am
Enjoyed the style of your writing. Hope you are inspired to write more stories.

chaos1 said...
Jan. 27, 2011 at 6:11 am
Nice job on getting the viewer interested in reading the book.  The sooner I can read the book, the better.

happy replied...
Jan. 27, 2011 at 8:33 am
captivating