A Day in October

Author's note: My inspiration for this piece was from a previous relationship of mine. Although nothing to the...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: My inspiration for this piece was from a previous relationship of mine. Although nothing to the extent of what happened to my character happened to me, but it got me thinking that there are girls out there who are treated this way and are the victims of screwed up individuals. I hope that girls in high school or even women in married relationships will gain hope, inspiration, and insight into this somewhat common problem.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next »

* * *

“So you two became friends?” Dr. Moor questioned.
“Sure,” I said in reply.
“And how did that work out?”
At this point I was becoming annoyed. Dr. Moor kept up the stale questions and commentary. I knew her type. She thinks all her questions are actually getting somewhere with me – the tortured soul. I can’t wait to see her face when she realizes she has failed.
“Fine,” I answered un-fazed.
That Friday after school, Daren walked me to choir practice. Without warning, he pulled me aside. He gripped my arm tightly and towed me into an empty classroom. He faced me and stared into my eyes for an immeasurable amount of time before saying anything.
“Tell me something, Abby. Do you still love me? Because I still love you. No matter what I am doing, all I can think about is you. I can’t sleep. I can’t eat. I can barely live without you. Please, please take me back,” he pled.
I sighed. I didn’t want this to happen. After Monday, I was careful not to hug him too long or make any unnecessary physical contact. I didn’t love him anymore. How could I love someone who abused me? I needed him to realize that.
“Daren,” I began, “I care about you so much, but I won’t date you. We tried a relationship and it didn’t work out. I won’t take you back.”
His face fell, looking totally defeated for one second before it hit.
His head snapped up and a flash of fury crossed his face. Suddenly, with such incredible force, he seized me around the waist and pulled my body to his. His arm formed a cage around my body as his other hand grasped the back of my neck, his fingers tangling into my hair. Using all his weight, he shoved me back, pressing me against a wall. The power he exerted was crippling. I had no time, nor the strength to fight back.
His mouth found mine aggressively. Pushing and shoving with all the strength I had, I could not overpower him. I continued to struggle as my fear rose. What was going to happen to me? I thought back to all the times his temper flared. The memories left no question in my mind. If I didn’t get away, and fast, he would hurt me, or worse.
He removed his arm from around my waist, still forcing me against the wall, and started to slip his hand under my shirt. I tried to scream but he cut off any chance I had to do so when he wrenched his fist full of my hair backwards, forcing me to look straight up into his face as he towered over me. My breath caught in my throat. His eyes were hard, full of malice and undisputed rage. One glance and I knew exactly what he had planned for me. I started to shake.
“You will love me Abby, won’t you,” he whispered into my ear. It wasn’t a question. It was a threat – one he didn’t expect me to turn down. If I did, he might kill me.
I looked into his eyes. Their power hungry glare bore deep into my frightened ones. His grip in my hair tightened and he bent his head, pressing his lips to my exposed, vulnerable throat. I had to do something.
Without a word, I wound my arms up around him, digging my fingers and nails into his strong back, my other hand found its way into his hair. He lifted his head and ground his lips to mine. His fingers disentangled from my hair and slid down my shirt. I waited a moment more.
With all the strength I had, I grabbed a fist full of his chocolate locks and yanked, hard. Using my other arm, I shoved against his chest. Startled, he lost his balance and tripped backwards over a chair. He landed with a hard thud against the tile. Fury replaced my fear. I snatched up my book bag from the floor. When I looked back at Daren he had pushed up on his elbows, staring bewilderedly at me. His eyes were still dark with malice. I turned and ran for the doorway but turned back before entering the hallway.
“I don’t know what the hell you were thinking but there will never be an ‘us’ again, Daren! I don’t love you and I never will again! Now leave me alone and stay the hell away from me!” I screamed, angry tears pricking the corner of my eyes.
At my words, the look on his face was a mix of anger and heartbreak; neither overshadowing the other. With that, I quickly made my escape and ran to the safety of the choir room.

haleyy. said...
Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:32 am:
I absolutely LOVED this! It had me captivated and held held my attention the whole entire time I was reading! Great job!(:

Midnightmermaid said...
May 2, 2012 at 7:15 pm:

god how do you tun the pg?????

andromeda13 said...
That was really great to read. You did a good job, and told the story perfectly.

emilybwrites said...
this was fantastic! i  loved your use of imagery...keep it up! please check out my poem "Forgotten Domain" and comment. i would like some insight from fellow writers

Y. said...
absolutly amazing it was brilliant!!!!! great job

flyinggemini said...
Jun. 7, 2011 at 1:10 pm:
wow.  wow wow wow.  you are an amazing writer.  keep going because you have amazing talent.  this book literally had me on the edge of my seat.  i can relate to every single one of the characters which i have never experience before.  you have extreme talent!!!

leaf44 said...
That was really good.  I love how you recount the story through flashbacks.  I personally love putting flashbacks in but I've never used them quite like you do.

summertime said...
Jan. 31, 2011 at 10:56 am:
Enjoyed the style of your writing. Hope you are inspired to write more stories.

chaos1 said...
Jan. 27, 2011 at 6:11 am:
Nice job on getting the viewer interested in reading the book.  The sooner I can read the book, the better.

happy replied...
Jan. 27, 2011 at 8:33 am :
captivating