A Day in October

Author's note: My inspiration for this piece was from a previous relationship of mine. Although nothing to the...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: My inspiration for this piece was from a previous relationship of mine. Although nothing to the extent of what happened to my character happened to me, but it got me thinking that there are girls out there who are treated this way and are the victims of screwed up individuals. I hope that girls in high school or even women in married relationships will gain hope, inspiration, and insight into this somewhat common problem.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next »

* * *

I shook my head. I had never remembered that incident with such detail before. But I didn’t let that faze me. “We fought and argued, like any relationship,” I said blandly.
“So you broke up with him?” she questioned.
“Yeah, duh.”
“Okay, very good, Abby,” she said scribbling something in her notebook. “So what happened when school started up again in the fall? How did it all start?”
Daren didn’t take the break up sitting down. For weeks, he tried everything in his power to convince me that I had made a mistake. He called constantly, day and night, and always had a way of keeping tabs on me. He would show up at friends’ houses and try to talk to me. He would come, uninvited, to my house and beg me to take him back; I tried my best to fend off his pleas.
Eventually, he got the hint. He stopped calling and left me alone, or so I thought.
By the time school rolled around, I was ready for my senior year. Heading to class on the first day, I spotted him. He was leaning against a line of cream colored lockers, his gang of friends surrounding him. I wasn’t surprised to see him. But for a second, I did a double take and studied him more carefully.
His hair was still the same coffee and cream shade but it hung lower in his eyes. A newly pierced stud showed through his hair in the left side of his head. He was larger; I could see the new muscle definition through his tight black t-shirt. His arms, folded snug against his chest, looked like they were chiseled out of stone, and the serene look on his face gave him an intimidating aura.
I didn’t realize I was staring until he met my gaze. I quickly glanced down with unnecessary effort; he had already looked away. I passed by him and to my surprise he completely ignored me.
That’s how it was for the first week. He pretended I didn’t exist and we both went on with our daily lives. I didn’t want him back as a boyfriend but I wasn’t turned off by the idea of being friends.
As if he could read my mind, he met me at my locker the next Monday morning. I was surprised to see him there, leaning against it like he had always done.
“Hey,” was all he said when I reached him.
“Hi,” I said back. I was stunned to hear him actually speak to me. “What are you doing here?”
He said nothing and shrugged away from the locker allowing me access. As I gathered my books for the day, he continued to stand there in silence and I wondered why he was there. Frustrated, I closed my locker, turning away. His hand fell softly on my shoulder holding me back. Oh no. My heart stuttered as I turned to face him. His caramel eyes looked tortured.
“I…I’m sorry, Abby. Can you please forgive me so we can move on from this?” he said with fervor. There was an underlying tone in his voice but I didn’t pay any attention to it.
I thought for a moment. I would never date him again but what was stopping us from being just friends?
“Yes, I forgive you Daren,” I said. He gave me a wide smile and without warning he caught me up into a crushing hug. I choked out a cough; I couldn’t breathe. He chuckled, released some pressure, but still held me against his vast chest.
I knew I had to end the embrace before he did something. I also knew I was giving him the wrong idea. I tried to pull away but he held me in his vice grip with no intention of letting me go.
That scared me. If he didn’t let me go I didn’t know what would happen. I swallowed hard. “Daren, I kinda have to go to class,” I said against his chest.
“Oh,” he mumbled as he released his hold, removing all but one arm from me. He towered over me so it was no trouble for him to keep his arm slung around my shoulders as he walked with me through the halls.
At my classroom door, he pulled me up close. I felt something touch my hair; his lips? I didn’t know, but he released me and walked away without another word.

This book has 10 comments. Post your own now!

haleyy. said...
Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:32 am
I absolutely LOVED this! It had me captivated and held held my attention the whole entire time I was reading! Great job!(:

Midnightmermaid said...

god how do you tun the pg?????

andromeda13 said...
That was really great to read. You did a good job, and told the story perfectly.

emilybwrites said...
this was fantastic! i  loved your use of imagery...keep it up! please check out my poem "Forgotten Domain" and comment. i would like some insight from fellow writers

Y. said...
absolutly amazing it was brilliant!!!!! great job

flyinggemini said...
wow.  wow wow wow.  you are an amazing writer.  keep going because you have amazing talent.  this book literally had me on the edge of my seat.  i can relate to every single one of the characters which i have never experience before.  you have extreme talent!!!

leaf44 said...
That was really good.  I love how you recount the story through flashbacks.  I personally love putting flashbacks in but I've never used them quite like you do.

summertime said...
Jan. 31, 2011 at 10:56 am
Enjoyed the style of your writing. Hope you are inspired to write more stories.

chaos1 said...
Jan. 27, 2011 at 6:11 am
Nice job on getting the viewer interested in reading the book.  The sooner I can read the book, the better.

happy replied...
Jan. 27, 2011 at 8:33 am
captivating