Fourth Period Hell Room

Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next »

Lost One Earn Won

My mom and I sat in the waiting room with the Avery’s until the head surgeon told us the news about Jake, good news I hope. I sat and watch Mrs. Avery crying in her husband’s arms, I felt sorry for her about her son. I was holding back my tears on the whole situation. I never cried much as a child only if I was in very bad pain or heartbroken. I thought about the good times I had with Jake; like the time we first met in pre-k. I was sitting at the lunch table by myself eating carrot stick and one of them fell on the ground. Jake was the first person to ever talk to me. He sat next to me with his Buzz Lightyear lunchbox and asked me if I liked the movie Toy Story. We had a huge conversation about the movie and became friends from that point. He saw the carrot I dropped on the ground and took one out of his lunchbox and gave it to me. I thanked him and he said ‘my mom says that sharing is good for friendships’.

From that day were clicked as best friends and we always had each other’s backs. He never left my side and I never left his side. Me losing him would be like losing a brother. The doctor left from the surgery room and made his way down the corridor with the news. We stood near us and took a deep sigh.

“Mr. and Mrs. Avery,” the doctor called.

“Yes,” said Mr. Avery.

“The artery was severely damaged and we couldn’t stop the bleeding for us to operate on it. I’m sorry to say this, but your son didn’t make it through. I’m sorry.” He said walking away from the Averys.

My heart sunk into the pit of my stomach; I couldn’t believe this at all. I lost a person that was the only person that I had as a friend. Mrs. Avery’s started crying harder after hearing the news, and my mom held me close to her. I felt a tear fall down my cheek and knew that I knew that I wasn’t in pain, but I was heartbroken that I lost a good friend. I told my mom that I didn’t want to be here anymore and that I wanted to go home. I had enough of this! I lost my favorite teacher and now my best friend. I will not have anyone else be taken away from me because of this jerk. My mom helped me walk to the car and held my hand all the way there. We jump back into the car and pull out of the parking lot; I didn’t say a word at all the rest of the day.

Once we got home, I went to my room and slammed the door shut. My mom went to the kitchen and started making dinner. I sat in my room all day looking on my Facebook page, staring at pictures that me in Jake were in. There were Halloween pictures of us when he was Buzz and I was Woody; when our dads took us to our first rock concert on my thirteenth birthday; our first day going to Trinity as freshman. They were all memorable and I just kept crying looking at the pictures. My phone started to ring on my desk and I threw it on my bed. I didn’t want to talk to no one, and I didn’t want to leave my room. I continued looking at the pictures and I hear a knock on the door, but I didn’t want to answer it.

“Jake,” my mother called. “John’s here to see you. You want to open the door and let him in?”

I thought for a moment, and figured that the only person that I have left to help me put Mr. Reed in jail was John. I told my mom to let him in and she opens the door and shows John inside.

“Uhm, son, if your friend is staying I can put down and extra plate for dinner.” She said.

I looked at John and he nods his head that he will stay for dinner.

“Yeah, it’s alright.” I said.

She leaves the room closing the door behind her. John pulls up a chair and sits down with a sigh. Hopefully, he knew something about what the police found out.

“Hey, your mom told me about what happened. I’m sorry about Jake.” he said.

“I know, it’s just kind of rough losing someone that has been in your life that long.” I said.

“Well I dug up some from what the cops investigated from the school.” he said.

“What happened?” I asked.

“They talked to all of his teachers, including Reed, and so for all of their alibi’s are clean. They are going to talk to the custodians at tomorrow’s Open House.” He explained.

Why did they just only talk to teachers about the accident? They should have looked at the file on Reed and his past murders and followed up on that. My anger began to boil again, so I grabbed the file and opened it. I called my mother for her to look at it with us. She was the only person that would believe me and John about him.

“What’s the matter?” she asked entering my room.

“We have something to tell you,” I began. “I found some information about Mr. Reed and I think that you should take a look at.”

I hand her the file and John looks at me like I told the cops that I stole it. She reads the cover letter and looked confused.

“Who’s Isaac Roberts?” she asked.

“That’s was Mr. Reed’s old name before he started working for our school.” John said.

“Where did you get this?” she asked.

“We…” I looked over at John and he nods his head for me to tell my mom where we got it from. “We got it from the school.”

“This is confidential information, you guys could go to jail for this.” she cried.

“I know Mrs. Ericson, but John was worried about the school’s safety.” Said John.

“Then you talk to the principal about him.” She cried.

“Mr. Diaz doesn’t even do anything for himself mom. Just please hear us out.” I asked.

I went to the website that Jake found Reed’s criminal records, and showed my mom the long shopping list of crimes he committed. She covered her mouth in surprise and looked at the whole list of crimes.

“Why haven’t you told me or your father about this, Randy?” she asked.

“You guys wouldn’t have believed me about this. I told you that this guy has something against me; I just don’t know what it is. Why are you are so upset about this?” I asked.

“Son…..I use to date Mr. Reed back in high school.” she said,

I couldn’t believe the word that had came out of her mouth. I couldn’t believe my mother use to date a conniving criminal back in high school.

“Wait you dated a criminal in high school?” John asked.

“He wasn’t a criminal back then. He was a good kid when we dated, until he started changing.” She said.

“What do you mean change mom?” I asked.

She closed the bedroom door and places the file back on the desk. She sat on the bed and took a deep sigh.

“It was homecoming in my sophomore year, and it was going to be a year that Isaac and I dated. But, I wanted to break up with him after we had a huge fight about nothing a few weeks before that. He and I were at the school’s football field and were sitting on the stands. I had to tell him that I wanted nothing more to do with him. He was changing in a bad way that I didn’t want no part of. He got upset when I told him that I didn’t want anything else to do with him and he started yelling at me, and scaring me. The next thing you know he started choking me and slapping me. I yelled for help, and that was when your father had saw me in the stands and where we first met. He rushed up the bleachers and tackled Isaac down and started beating him down.”

“After your father reported Isaac to the principal and got him arrested, your dad and I were started dating from then on. We were high school sweet hearts and never seen Isaac again. She explained.

My mother dating Reed wasn’t the only thing that shocked me throughout her story, but the fact that he put his hands on my mother was another shocker that I had to deal with.

“Wait, what about the dinner after open house?” I asked.

“Well, the dinner is still on. Your father wants to talk to him but if he looks at his face he is going to instantly knows who he is.” Said my mom.

“You guys have to find a way for him to eat and leave. He can’t stay here alone with you guys.” Said John.

“How are we going to do that?” I asked.

“Call the cops and have them waiting outside the house for him. Once he leaves give the signal to the cops and they are going to tackle him down and cuff him. And then, Randy, you give them the file and have them take him into custody.”

“I will make a call to the police. Randy, you keep that file in this room and make sure your father doesn’t see this.” she said.

“You guys need anything, you call me.” John said.

“Thanks, man.” I replied.

“The least I can do for Jake. We owe this to him…we all do.” John said.

Tomorrow night was all planned out. I was hoping that it was going to go right like the school break in.

This book has 1 comment. Post your own now!

Timekeeper This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

The plot is interesting and refreshing, though I hope the new teacher isn't behind the old teacher's disappearance...that would be predictable and trite.

Please check out my novel SuperNOVA and leave your thoughts on it! Thanks :D