Fourth Period Hell Room

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 Next »

No One Knows

John and I left the house shutting the door behind us. I pulled out my phone and called Jake.

“Hello?” he answered.

“Hey, man, where are you?” I asked.

“I’m at home still what’s going on you sound scared.” He asked.

“Look I will tell you when I get there. I will be there in a few.” I said hanging up the phone.

John was lighting a cigarette and sat down on the porch steps. I was surprised that he knew all of that stuff in there. I was afraid to ask where did he know all of this and I was scared to know the answer. But after what I witnessed I had nothing to lose.

“Hey, John, can I get a lift to Jake’s place? I gotta let him know what happened to the Gibbons.

“Yeah, he lives a few houses from you still right?” he asked.

“Yeah,”’ I replied.

He nods his head in agreement while taking another hit from his cigarette. We walked back to the car and made our way to Jake’s house. On the way there, I was still wondering how John knew all of the details about how the Gibbons were killed. He takes one last hit of his cigarette and tosses it out the window.

“Hey, John,” I said nervously.

“Yeah?” he replied.

“How did you know all that stuff that happened in there?” I asked hesitantly.

We stop at a red light and gave me the same blank stare that he gave me earlier.

“You know, lots change since we were in grade school. You were on the honor roll back to back, and I was getting perfect attendance in the police precinct. I seen a lot of disturbing stuff in my father’s club, Randy.” He explained.

The traffic light turns green, and John turns toward Jake’s block. I didn’t think joining his father’s club would make him turn into the type of person that he was now. Back in grade school John, Jake and I decided that we were going to be business partners for a big time company with in a big building, something bigger than Donald trump. We were going to be the biggest guys in the city, but I guess that was child talk compared to what was going on now. We park in front of Jake’s house, and John puts the car in park and pauses for a moment.

“Randy I want you to promise me something.” He says looking out the driver’s window.

“What’s that?” I asked.

“…..Back when I started out in my father’s club….there was an initiation that we had to go through. One night my dad walked over and told me and two other guys to meet them around the back of the bar. He grabbed a bottle of whisky and three shot glasses. I thought it was going to be a sacred initiation toast or something, but…it was different.” He began.

“What happened?” I asked.

“Well, we went around the back and there were three guys hog tied and blindfolded. Two other guys that were in the club were setting them up as if they were going to be executed. My father told us that for us to be in the club, we had to drink like men and work like men. We can’t be afraid of fatal outcomes in some of the work that we were going to be doing. After he says that, he pours a shot of whisky in the first glass and hands it over to me. And he pulls out his desert from his vest pocket, and places it in my other hand. He looks me in the eye and says ‘Take a shot of whisky and I want you to put a bullet in this prick head, son’. I didn’t want to do it, I didn’t know what he did to my father or why he had the men hog tied.”

“What did you do?” I asked.

“I had to make my father proud. I took a shot of the whisky, walked over to one of the guys that were tied up and shot him in between the eyes.” He replied.

I looked at him in disbelief; I would have never thought that he would ever kill a man. I never thought he would kill anyone at that.

“I want you to do me a favor, Randy. I want you to promise me that no one knows about this. I got good history with you, and you’re a good person. That’s why I told you.” He said.

“You got my word.” I replied.

We shake hand and leave the car; I finally know why John knew what he knew at the Gibbons house. He killed people, but the only good thing about it is that he didn’t like doing it. He was a killer with a soul and a heart. Hopefully he trusts me enough not to kill me or Jake. I knocked on Jake’s door and my phone rings; my mom was calling probably knowing where I was.

“Yes, mom?” I answered.

“Hey honey, where are you?” she asked.

“I’m down the street at Jake’s. I meant to call but we were focused on our homework.” I replied. I hated lying to my parents, but I could tell them what I saw in that house.

“Okay well, dinner’s going to be ready at seven so try not to be home too late.” She said.

“Yes ma’am, bye.” The second I closed my phone, Jake answered the door.

He looks at me and looks at John.

“John?” he said surprised. “Why are you dressed like the Undertaker?”

“It’s been a rough ride, bro.”John replied

“Well it’s good to see you. How did you bump into Randy?”Jake asked.

“That’s why we’re here.” I said walking inside the house.

John follows me inside the house and looks around noticing the furniture and the way the house looked.

“Nice place.” John said.

“Thanks, my mom is like madly in love with Martha Stewart.” Jake replied.

We walked up to the second floor where the Jake’s room was and took a seat. John and I had look like we bought a dog but it ran away and got ran over. Jake took a seat by his computer and looked at me.

“Alright, what happened?” he asked.

“I went to go see Mrs. Gibbons,” I began.

“And….what happened?” he asked.

“Uhm….Well.” I couldn’t speak, my tongue was getting dry and my palms were getting sweaty.

“We found her and her old man in the house dead.” John finished.

Jake gasped and reached for his asthma pump. “What happened? Who done this?” he cried.

“That’s the thing we don’t know? I don’t even think that the town knows that they are dead.” John replied.

There was an awkward silence in the room, and my stomach began to turn again. The second I blinked I kept seeing the Gibbons dead corpses.

“Now, we have to think. Who or whom would come into the Gibbons house and execute them both?” asked John.

“Maybe her husband borrowed money from a loan shark.” Jake suggested.

“No, they would have gotten rid of the bodies. The cant risk getting arrested, bad for business.” John explained.

“What if it was gang breaking in, thought they weren’t home say them and killed them both.” said Jake.

“No they would have freaked out and left a murder weapon there.” I said.

I couldn’t come up with what happened to them but whoever did it isn’t a human being. They are a monster that needs to be tamed inside a cage, and I wasn’t going to rest easy until I was going to find out who the person was. Jake then turns over to me with another accusation.

“Hey wait, remember what Mr. Reed said about Mrs. Gibbons today?” he asked.

“Yeah, he said she was sick,” I look over at John. “How long do you thing those bodies were executed?” I asked him.

“The way the blood was barely drying and how pale the bodies looked. They looked like they were dead this morning.” John answered.

It made no sense to me, but the clues add up. Mr. Reed must have killed the Gibbons, but the question is why the hell would he do it? He just moved into the neighborhood and barely knows anyone in the area.

“This doesn’t make any sense that he would kill them. The guy just moved from New York, why the hell would he kill Gibbons for.” John said.

“Wait a minute, New York? He told our home room class that he was from Florida. That’s where he got his degree.”

“He told my computer class that he was from New York and married a journalist.” Said John

“Now things are really adding up now. He told us that his wife was a heart surgeon.” I explained.

“Okay either this guy has a bad case of amnesia, or he is a very horrible liar.” I said.

“This guy must be a fraud, or something. How is it that he got a job here, but doesn’t know what state he left from?” asked Jake.

“There’s only one way to find out.” Said John with an evil looking smirk on his face.

“What you thinking?” asked Jake.

“Well, they keep all our records on file right?” he asked.

“If your talking about our permanent records, yeah.” I replied.

“Well they have to have a file on all the staff in Trinity.” Said John

“Now how are we going to get information like that?” I asked.

“We ask the secretary nicely,” John answered sarcastically.”We are going to break into school and get into the file library and dig up dirt on Mr. Reed.”

Alright not only did I have to look at two dead bodies twice today, but I have to break into my school and steal top secret information that can put me behind bars. I looked toward the window and I didn’t want any part of the break in.

“John, now I know you guys are thinking that we’re going to get caught. But, if you guys follow every word that I say in there, we will walk out as if we never walked in.” he explained.

“I’m in!” said Jake without hesitation

The two looked at me waiting for my response. I can’t do this, I have a good record in the school, and if we get caught we could have me arrested and expelled. And that means I could kiss Ivy League schools good-bye. And also on the list of trouble, what would my parents think? They would kille me if I was arrested for stealing paperwork.

“Randy?” called Jake. “I know that you don’t want to do this, but if John says he can get us in and out with no problem, then I say we take the opportunity headstrong.”

“I want to help guys but I don’t want to risk getting into the League.” I explained.

“How about this, if we get caught, I will take the heat and you guys don’t ever have to speak to me ever again. If we do get out clean I will make sure that we don’t get your hands back in dirt with this murder stuff. Sounds good?” asked John.

I had no other choice, I was working with my old friends again and I didn’t want to let them down, and I didn’t want to let the Gibbons down either. I extend my hand to John and we shake hands for the deal. We all promised to keep the murder scene and everything that we talked about to ourselves. The only people that were going to know about this were us. Tomorrow night at ten we were going to do the break in, I hope John has a plan.

This book has 1 comment. Post your own now!

Timekeeper This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

The plot is interesting and refreshing, though I hope the new teacher isn't behind the old teacher's disappearance...that would be predictable and trite.

Please check out my novel SuperNOVA and leave your thoughts on it! Thanks :D