Fourth Period Hell Room

Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Next »

New Season...New Faces

I really wasn’t looking forward to going back to school. My summer vacation was great and I didn’t want to return to the dirty looks from the girls and the bullying from the jocks. But I had no other choice since I wanted to get into an Ivy League school. I am a junior in Trinity T. High School, home of the Trinity Titans (Woohoo!). I have a thing for the hottest girl in the school but she wasn’t into guys like me. Guys like Jim Tarver—captain and quarterback for the Titans—were the type of guys that she was into. Guys like that were bigger than me, more athletic, and had his name in every girl’s sentence. I was the guy that only gets asked about computer problems. Well, that’s life as a kid in the shadows right?

So here I am, walking the same halls with awkward stares walking to my home room. Mrs. Gibbons is the only teacher that gives me hope to keep coming back to school, and to stand up for myself. But today was just a tad different. I walked inside the room and she wasn’t at her desk, or in the class. She would usually greet us the second we walk past the door. I was thinking: ‘Maybe she was running late from her other class’ or ‘She forgot to come to work today’. I walked over and sat next to my friend Jake. He and I have been friends since we were in diapers. If that’s not a brother bond is, than I don’t know what is. Our class was in a computer room, so he had his eyes glued on the screen looking at a new video game that were going to come out.

“Randy, you got to check this out,” he says showing me the computer screen. “This is the new fighting game that they have coming out. They say that they might have some celebrity guests to do the voice over.”

“Like who?”

“So far, they got Mark Walberg, Jamie Foxx, and The Reaper from the MetalSkullz is going to be on there too.” He cried

“Sounds cool, but…have you seen Mrs. Gibbons?”

“Nope, I haven’t seen her all morning.” Jake replied.

“Well, I hope she’s okay. You know she never misses a day in school.”

“Yeah, maybe she caught a cold. She’ll be here, bro, don’t sweat it” he said turning his attention to the computer screen.

I turn on my computer and place my books next to the monitor. I usually check my e-mails to see if there was anything interesting in it, but it always comes to a silent disappointment. I look over to the door while the computer was loading, and there was still no Mrs. Gibbons. I look back at the computer, and as usual no mail or instant messages. Surprise, surprise. After I closed the internet out, a strange man walks through the door with a black suitcase. He had a casual shirt with a blazer with dark blue denim jeans. He places his suitcase on the desk and looks at his silver Rolex watch and gets the classes attention.

“Alright class, listen up! My name is Mr. Reed, and I will be taking over for Mrs. Gibbons for the next following weeks.” He says while doing the teacher ritual—writing his name on the board--.

I raised my hand, and the second he turns around and sees my hand he gives me an awkward stare as if I was crazy to have my had raised.

“Yes, Mr…..” he called.

“Ericson. I just wanted to know what happened to Mrs. Gibbons?”

“Ah, I know who you are. You are Mrs. Gibbon’s best student in her class. Well she’s feeling ill and I have talk to her over the phone that her class will be just fine.” He explains while facing the board. “Now today before you guys leave, I will just give you a bit of detail about myself—“ He turns and sees my hand in the air again. “Yes Mr. Ericson what is it?”

“Do you know when she will be coming back?” I asked nervously.

He places the dry erase marker on the desk and walked over to me with a slight chuckle.

“You see class. This is why Mr. Ericson has the second highest GPA in the school. Back when I was your age I was told to be smart you either have good memory when you hit the books. Or, you are know too much info that you need to know.” He looks at me with an angry stare.

I looked into Mr. Reeds eyes and saw disturbing things that could scare any human being on the face of the earth. I looked over at Jake for help, but he had the same look as I did.

“Any more questions before I finish, Mr. Ericson?” he asked with content in his voice.

“No, sir.” I said with fear in my voice.

He walks back over to the board and tells the class more about himself. He bragged about the degrees he had gotten from Florida State, and that he’s married to a beautiful heart surgeon. Hopefully, she is more polite about certain people’s whereabouts. The bell rings and I grab my books and make my way to the flow of students walking toward the door.

“Alright everyone, be on time tomorrow and Mr. Ericson,” he calls pointing his finger at me in a shape of a gun. “I have my eye on you.”

I was scared that I made a new enemy in the school. Usually I wouldn’t care less if it was a student, but a teacher is a completely different story. Jake waited up for me by the door.

“Dude what happened in there?” he asked

“I don’t know, I asked him a few simple questions and he kind of took it as a threat from what it looks like.”

“Well whatever you do don’t get on his bad side again….he creeps me out.” He said.

After school, I usually walk to home with Jake. We stayed a block away from each other, and just in case we walked into any trouble we would back each other up. I waited outside on the picnic table across the street from the teacher’s parking lot. I’m always the first one out of the school before Jake. He moves a lot slower when it comes to us leaving the school. But, when it comes down to switching classes he moves as quickly as Olympic track stars. While I wait on him, I usually open a book and cat up on my reading. I was reading a book called Lone Wolf; it was about a kid who lost his mother around the holiday season, and he didn’t know how to cope without her one Christmas. It must be rough for him to lose his mother around that particular season. Five minutes later Jake makes his way across the street, and we began our journey back home.

“Dude, you won’t believe who I saw in the hallway before I left.” He said

“Who was it?”

“Heather Rivers, she was walking to cheerleader practice. And we talked for a bit.” He laughed.

“What did she say? Did she ask you out?”

“Nope she just asked me about homework in Mr. Cleveland’s class.”

During the conversation, I felt like we were being followed. Like there was somebody watching us walk home. I looked over my shoulder and there was a black Corvette creeping behind us. Whoever the driver was must be looking for a parking spot, so I ignored it and continued walking home. A few blocks later we were reaching Jake’s house. The Black Corvette was still behind us in the same speed that I saw it moving in when we were first walking home.

“Jake, you noticed that car has been following us?” I asked.

“What car?” he says turning around.

I look back at the road and the Corvette was gone. It had to have turned at the intersection down the street.

“There was a black car that was following us. It was just here.”

“Maybe it was just some blonde getting lost again you know how they drive sometimes.” He says.

I was hoping that he was right; I took a sigh of relief that I didn’t have to worry about the car or anything else following me. I told Jake I would see him tomorrow and began making the rest of my way home.
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Next »

This book has 1 comment. Post your own now!

Timekeeper This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

The plot is interesting and refreshing, though I hope the new teacher isn't behind the old teacher's disappearance...that would be predictable and trite.

Please check out my novel SuperNOVA and leave your thoughts on it! Thanks :D