What Happens At Night

Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 Next »

Reading in the sun

The day was a bright, happy kind of blue. It was the kind of day people dreamed about. It brought a smile to my face. My red hair shone in the sun as I spread a blanket out in the yard to read. I might as well take advantage of this sun. I had only just begun when Anna rode up into my yard on her eco-friendly bike.
“What?” I asked, my eyes not straying from my book.
“I...I...” She broke off. I looked up, only to see tears running down her face.
“What happened?” I asked, using my sympathetic voice.
“I..I came to t-tell you,” She said, “Patches got hit by a car this morning, and the vet doesn’t think he’ll make it.”
I gave her a sympathetic hug. “Oh, Anna,” I wrapped my arms around her. “I’m so sorry. He was such a good dog.” I lied.
“I know,” She said wiping away tears from her cheeks. “He wasn’t that old, he had so many good years ahead of him, the poor dear.”
“Oh, yes,” I nodded, pulled her close to me. “The person who hit him just left, without even telling us! I mean, who does that?”
“How awful! Whoever they are, I’m sure their ashamed of themselves.” I said. “I mean, they were probably too scared to come back and tell you. You should forgive them.”
“I know,” she laid her head on my shoulder. “I’m so thankful I have you as a best friend.”

After Anna left, I was thankful for the peace and quiet. I laid the book down, and let the sun soak into my skin. I liked the warmth, it was almost like—
“Anna!” I heard my mother scream from the porch. I looked up to find her standing with her hands on her hips, evidently angry.
“What?” I asked, rolling over onto my stomach.
“I’ve been calling you forever! Why didn’t you answer?”
“Sorry mom, guess I didn’t hear.” Her features softened.