What Happens At Night

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next »

At Play

I laughed as my shiny red curls bounced on my shoulder. Today, I was with my best friend, Anna, and we were having a ball. Call us nerds, but we were at the children’s playground going around and around on the marry-go-round. I was laughing hysterically, almost to the point of pain. Anna, like me was in tears, we fell over each other.
“Your turn to push,” I said, breaking the laughter. She jumped off, and began pushing the marry-go-round around, yet again. As soon as it stopped she jumped back on, plopping down beside me.
“Where were you last night Victoria?” Anna asked. I knew at once she was referring to the party; her seventeenth birthday party. Her parents had given me the invite when I was over at Anna’s house after school last week. I had promised to come.
“I’m sorry,” I apologized, looking apologetic. She simply shrugged her shoulders, like always. “I was busy, my mom asked me last minute to help her with the laundry, and you know how it is. I told her I had plans but she didn’t care.” The words rolled right off my tongue, no hesitation. Of course, I wouldn’t tell her where I really was. I couldn’t.
“It’s fine,” She said, “So want to go down the slide?” She asked smiling.
“Race you,” I said laughing, taking off toward the slides.
“Hey,” She called after me, “no fair you got a head start.”
“So?” I said, “Loser’s weepers, loser’s weepers.” I chanted, laughing. Something about this struck me as funny so I doubled over with laughter, unable to contain it.
“You’re so weird!” Anna said, going around me to climb the stairs to the slide.
“Hey!” I called, trying to be calm. “Me first, I got here first! It’s my turn!”
“Chill Vic,” She said, climbing down, giving in. That’s what I love about her. She gave up. I smiled and climbed up, laughing as I slid down.