A November Haunt

Author's note: I was in my english class when we read "Where is here?" The teacher asked us to write a story...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I was in my english class when we read "Where is here?" The teacher asked us to write a story from one of the characters point of view. I chose the dad. Also, I took an idea from "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre". Not too much to spoil it. Comment and rate please.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next »

NOVEMBER 28, 1959

It was around seven in the morning when this dream had wakened me. I explained to Evelyn how bizarre my dream was, “There were two parents. One of them was drunk and abusive; the other was neglectful and assertive. They were having an argument when the husband threw a coffee at the wife and it splashed onto the wall leaving a stain. The father turned only to see a quivering little boy, his son. He then scolded their son to get back down to the basement.” I paused because the dream reflected
The stranger comes to visit. All of a sudden, the father realizes that the dream he recently had is true.
pieces of our new home which has shown me horrifying things. “Last thing I remember was the boy’s body found buried in the basement.”
My wife look concerned, “Are you sure that you have not had too much to drink? Maybe you are just exhausted from this week, that’s all” Evelyn tried comforting me, but the feeling that the dream resembled our new residence had frightened me.
After calming down from the weird events that were taking place, I got out of bed and started my daily routine. After a few minutes of doing that, I soon realized it was Thanksgiving. The kids were still sleeping. As I walked into the family room I could clearly see Evelyn in the kitchen starting to cook our lovely feast. The calm weather outside had us thinking that today would have no worries, but it did not take long for that to come to an end.
Around seven evening time, everyone was gathering around the table. We all said our grace and begun stuffing our faces with this tasty extensive meal. “This food is delicious honey,” I said to Evelyn admiring how professional the dinner looked.
“Yes, of course it is,” she said with a sarcastic smile. “After all, I am the chef in the family.” The kids started to laugh as they saw their mother make a harmless joke. I had no combat for that.
As we all continued to eat our dinner, I completely spaced out. I was able to hear a faint whisper, but it was not clear enough to decipher. Instantly, there was an intense eerie feeling in the kitchen. I suddenly received chills and became hesitant. It was to the point I snuck away from the table, grabbed a knife, and went to look out the living room window. There was nothing there. Then again it was hard to tell because it was storming outside.
Walking back to the table, I could not let go of this strange sense. While in deep thought, there was a knock on the door. Reluctantly, I slowly paced my way out of the kitchen to the front door. As I opened it, there was a man standing there clueless.
“May I help you?” I questioned him, wanting to know why he was at our home.
“I was sent here. Who are you and why are you at my home?” the stranger looked a bit irritated. He kept insisting this was his home
I explained to him this was my family’s house and not his. He then apologized and we shook hands.
Starting over, he asked if he could look around outside the house for memories from when he grew up. I gave him the okay, and the stranger went looking around. I then paused for a moment wondering why I couldn’t feel his hand. I ignored it and went back in.
When I came back inside, Evelyn was standing right by the door complaining, “What is wrong with you? Do you even know that man? He could be a murderer for all we know!”
“Sweetheart let’s just go back and finish eating with the kids. I’m sure he means no harm” I told her. She insisted on me telling him to leave. “Tell you what, I will keep a close eye on him okay?” She still looked a little worried.
A few minutes later, I went to see if the man was alright. Somehow he was in our restroom washing his hands. I was too confused to even ask how that happened. As I turned to leave and give him privacy, out the corner of my eye I noticed the stranger had no reflection; as if he did not even exist. My heart was beginning to pound rapidly.
So unsure of what happened, I went and talked to Evelyn, “okay honey stay with the kids because something bizarre just happened.”
As I went to demand the stranger to leave, he was nowhere to be found. I walked into the living room and the stranger became transparent immediately. I began seeing the stain on the wall from a dream I recently had. I was able to smell heavy liquor and saw sharp broken glass on the floor. Then I saw the strange man and said, “excuse me sir, I am going to need you to leave now. You have over stayed your uninvited welcome.”
In a stagnant strange voice the stranger told me, “I’m afraid I can’t do that.”
I gave him one last chance, and he left. I watched him just vanish thinking I would never see him again. Then my whole family started seeing the same images that included this man. The visions were that from my dream.
As we all were coming to, the spirit man was right in front of me. He possessed my body. While I was captive, unable to gain consciousness and control of my body, I somehow was able to hear the controlling ghost say:

“You bought this house already you feel the shame; the one that lurks has come back to claim
What’s mine and what I set out to do; I spend searching for my imprisonment body I’m bruised
That one Thanksgiving Day will never be the same; Wipe the slandering smirk off your face
My mother and father would tell me; but I want to see my body and revenge I seek
Reminisced plans that have come alive; I’m so badly scarred in the basement is where I’d cry
Just losing my life to these slave holders; But now I have the power I will provoke them
Ha ha ha I laugh this away; And who are you people trespassing wait
I remember now, no this can’t be; I remember the horrible events even the last one the pain no longer hurts me
My blood and the coffee stain on the wall; for this was my home I revenge on you all!!!”

For a quick minute, everyone including me saw all the tragedies and events that happened some time before we bought the house. It did not take long for me to realize that the bizarre dream I recently had actually was real. It brought me into more panic.
Evelyn stood with her mouth open when she told our children to go in their room. She hurried back to where I was trying to wake me from the possession I was in. “Babe? Hey wake up please wake up!” She screamed.
Our daughter came out crying, “Daddy daddy! Mommy, why is daddy looking like that?” Though I was still possessed, I still could barely make out all that happened.
My wife looked clueless unable to give her a reasonable response. “I don’t know baby.”
Evelyn ran to get the phone. She called the police and stated that I was being possessed by a spirit. I could feel the spirit releasing me. My kids sauntered around the house crying, and Evelyn started screaming once my eyes rolled back and forth. I could see their mouths moving, but the words became sluggish.
The cops arrived along with paramedics rushing into our house. One ran towards me to check on me and that is the last I remember from that night.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next »

This book has 1 comment. Post your own!

Surobhi_Moitrayee said...
Feb. 29, 2012 at 3:50 am:
God you are really talented! i just love your writting!! i mean the story is so awesome about the ghost in the house and i love your use of dates!! awesome job!! if you like you can also read my book that i wrote,and write your veiw points about it!!...