Life In Death

Author's note: I had a dream about a strange man named Lucifer but went by Lucy. It just bloomed from there.
Author's note: I had a dream about a strange man named Lucifer but went by Lucy. It just bloomed from there.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next »

Chapter one: Painless

My life was simple, school, family, friends, and track. That was it. That is until things seemed to suck me in, and before I knew it, I was the black hole.
It started in the middle of sophomore year, the day I met him. People called him Lucy, but no one chatted much with him. No one really knew him, his family, or where he lived. And, the way Lucy’s eyes glowed sent shivers down me.
Lucy was a mystery, the kind I wanted to solve.
Half of our classes were the same, and we had relatively close last names, so we always sat near. I remember that he used to stare at nothing, like he left the world, but then he would smile, lost in his thoughts. He would then look at me. Goosebumps rose on my arms.
Time passed and the blistering summer came. One chill night, I was hanging out with my bestie, Taylor, at a local park. We suddenly noticed Lucy’s dark figure hopping from one shadow to another.
“Why is he…?” She wanted to ask.
“I don’t know.” My adventurous side came out, I guess, along with my stupidity.
“We should follow him!” I exclaimed while flying off my too-small-for-my-butt plastic swing.
“Sure,” Taylor replied, “we have nothing better to do.” She was more of a follower.
Choices. They make up who I was then, they choose other choices, and they could’ve held me back.
The air was crisp like biting into a fresh, green apple. It flowed into our lungs effortlessly; I could’ve run forever. We stalked Lucy past apartment buildings, stores and houses. Then he stopped.
Pure minds and pure hearts are two totally different things. The mind decides what will happen, and your heart drags the consequences.
What was my decision when I saw a body on the cement and Lucy pacing around it? What was Taylor’s? Well, I can tell you, Taylor skedaddled out. Deuces. Peace. Bye. Gone.
“I’m gonna go…” She whispered and left my side. She left me there. Alone. With him.
I crept closer, dodging his sight by crouching behind a ratty dumpster. The body was twitching! I gasped. He turned to my direction and grinned.
“Stop hiding.” He said in a low, smooth voice. His breath tickled my ear. My screech pierced the night. Lucy pulled me to my feet.
His touch, it was icy. Where his hand contacted my shoulders were tingly and numb. I squirmed away from him, though he didn’t fight with me. Then I sprinted to the body.
“He’s alive!” I yelled desperate, “Quick! Call an ambulance or something!!”
Lucy seemed to glide to me. “No need.” His warm, chocolaty voice reassured. He kneeled next to the nearly-dead boy, whose eyes were rolled-up, and shut the boy’s eyelids with his fingers.
“I’ll take away his pain.” He giggled.

smartchick118 said...
Thats really awesome :)) keep on writing :))

Aerolin replied...
Jan. 9, 2011 at 8:03 pm :
thanks so much!

Timekeeper This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Cool story, but it's cool to see another author from my area getting some recognition!

Timekeeper This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jan. 30, 2011 at 12:23 am :

Would you mind checking out my novel SuperNOVA?

We Triangle authors need to support each other!

stickyfingers said...
Hey Aerolin, I loved your novel! I love your perspective, as opposed to other authors, that there is life in death. It makes me smile to know that someone is out there sharing that with everyone. :)

Aerolin replied...
Dec. 30, 2010 at 1:18 pm :
thanks so much it really means a lot :)

Aerolin said...
thanks so much! it really means a lot:D

stickyfingers said...
Dec. 18, 2010 at 11:39 am:
Great job! I loved the O'Henry ending!!! This book kept me up all night, not letting me sleep until I finished it. I felt truly into the book and a part of the characters - great job! :D

Fireworks143 said...
it's really good but,, and don't take this personally I just have to say it cuz it's actually my name, no guy goes by Lucy sorry lol i just had 2 say it other than that it's fantastic!!!!!!!!!!

Aerolin replied...
Jan. 2, 2011 at 7:59 pm :
haha i know Lucy was supposed to be short for Lucifer but it wasnt very clear....

XxDream_in_ColorxX said...

All I can say is- Wow! 

I love the storyline, but I think that if this is to be a novel, (unless you decided to make it a novella?) that you should elaborate more on the whole plot.  I really love this;  I'd love to see it as an actual book someday.  =D

Aerolin replied...
Dec. 19, 2010 at 2:11 pm :
thanks so much for reading it! it was originally a short story but i think your right about more of a plot :D