Friendship Bracletes | Teen Ink

Friendship Bracletes

By Sullymcs123, Sherborn, Massachusetts
Sullymcs123, Sherborn, Massachusetts

Author's note:

When I was younger I loved horror and thriller stories. Writing this piece made me feel a lot of nostalgia for being told scary stories when I was younger or camping with my dad. I hope you enjoy reading this piece as much as I enjoyed writing it.

Nope!

I sat back in the torn seat of my best friend Ben's minivan as the rugged roads of Vermont changed into an unfamiliar scene. Raindrops slowly trickled down the windshield, and the tension between us grew louder. I opened my mouth and tried to talk but his somber expression made me think otherwise.  I looked away and glanced at the window.   An amber gradient was painted amidst the trees, the sky a smokey gray. I'm the person to ignore most things and to get over them quickly but after the argument me and Ben had I knew I had to do something about it. The truth was, I  felt like I was going insane the past few days, like I was never alone like someone was always watching me. It started with the faint silhouette that peered through the window each night, then the notes I had found in my locker. Each one read a new unsettling secret about me I had not dared to tell anyone. I was almost certain I was being stalked. Every day my mind raced with panic and frustration.  And I let that all out on Ben.

Camping had always been our thing, it had been just the way we met. So when I wanted to get over this argument with Ben I knew a camping trip was the solution.  As we drove further it seemed as if the horizon disappeared. I looked around unsure of where we were going. Ben had chosen a campsite himself. He maneuvered the minivan with no distraction, it had seemed he was pretty familiar with the route. I looked back on the memories of Summer camp in 8th grade. Me and Ben, best friends, sunburnt, smiling, wearing the blue and green friendship bracelets we still had on today. I take a glimpse at Ben's wrist, the blue and green bracelet worn down and the memories less vivid.  Things had changed over the last five years.

Nope!

As we drove closer to the campsite the tension between us dimmed. The road became swallowed by the vast pine trees, as the minivan began to slow down along a rumbling gravel path. I opened the creaking door of the van and glimpsed at the campsite.  There was nothing but the crunch of damp fallen autumn leaves and the faint screech of crows in the distance. Broken beer bottles and patches of dirt scattered the ground.

“Are you sure this is the right place?” I asked quietly. 

“My dad took me here all the time when I was a kid, don't worry,” Ben muttered. A muggy breeze wafted over me and shook me numb. I never was afraid of the wilderness, Ben and I always went camping together but something about this place seemed off. What if someone had followed me here?“It sure isn't as nice as it used to be,” Ben grumbled, kicking a beer bottle across a dirt path. The wind whispered a warning, as crows and ravens scattered on the branches of trees. Ben looked up, anxiously, his eyes flickered with fright. He had always known what I felt. “This doesn't feel right,” Ben quivered. I tried to ignore thinking of the worst, but like rain, my thoughts flooded my head with dismay and worry. What if someone was watching me?
We decided to set up our tents. I needed to get my mind off the matter of being watched. I hauled a bag onto my back and gripped the leather straps in the palm of my hand. My stomach was in a knot as I carried it to a patch of dirt. I dropped it to the ground in defeat, breathless, I began to unpack. My head looked up as my eyes landed on the woods. The trees lurked over me,  the insensible timid rustling of leaves, the daunting stillness. The forest began to feel like a prison with no escape.

Nope!

I laid back In a camping chair, as the crackling sizzle of the fire breathed into my ear. Ben crouched looking into a foggy sky, the stars forever hidden behind a dense autumn mist.
I placed a marshmallow on a nearby stick and gently put it over the fire. The marshmallow bubbling, crisp, golden. I took a deep breath and inhaled the faint smell of char, haunting the late-night campsite. I snapped a rich piece of melting chocolate from its delicate tin foil wrapper and placed it on a graham cracker. I pulled the marshmallow off of its stick and placed it between the fragile and brittle crackers.
I closed my eyes, rested my head, and listened. An eerie creaking from the woods echoed into the horizon as a chilling rustle came from the leaves.
“I need sleep,” Ben groaned, as his lifeless eyes glared at the fire.
“It's getting pretty late anyway,” I reasoned. Ben put out the fire and I watched while towers of smoke billowed into the night sky. I wandered to my tent as the leaves crinkled under my worn-down Converse, like another set of footsteps creeping behind me. I looked back in dread, expecting my stalker to be waiting behind me or to hear an unnerving whisper in my ear. But the slow timid whistle of the wind was the only sound to hear through the forest.
I headed into my tent and embraced the warmth of my sleeping bag, the moonlight adrift in the pitch-black night sky. As I dozed off, the tormenting thought of being watched lingered ominously in the back of my mind. The breeze lurked through the forest, wanting to disclose my impending fate in the woods

This chapter might be hard to read for those who have a hard time handling suspense or sharp turns in the story.

Ben’s ghastly scream shattered me awake. My breath vanished, as I tried to search for answers. I knew it came somewhere from the woods. I gathered myself together and tried to find him. I slowly drowned in the thought of what might have happened.

I dashed out of my tent into an endless and unforeseeable forest.  As I bolted into the woods, I seemed to lose a sense of where I was. I longed to hear Ben's trembling, familiar voice. But everywhere I turned towering, motionless trees surrounded me, I could no longer find a way out. 

“Ben!” I cried. The only response was the hushed whooshing of the tree branches. I collapsed in exasperation. My head boiled with panic, my eyes slowly watered. Despite my efforts, his presence was nowhere to be found. The formidable silence of the wilderness forever grew. 

Then that detectable, dreadful feeling pierced through me, something  I’d felt before. The feeling of being watched. Suddenly I knew what was watching me. Ben’s scream was nothing but a taunting distraction. I froze as a cold hand grasped my shoulder. I glimpsed and saw that familiar blue and green friendship bracelet tied around the wrist. Ben, the one watching me all along.

This book has 1 comment.

Sullymcs123 said...
on Jan. 29 at 9:43 am
Sullymcs123, Sherborn, Massachusetts
Enjoy the book!