We All Go A Little Mad Sometimes | Teen Ink

We All Go A Little Mad Sometimes

¨Evelyn Marie! Get down here this instant!¨ I heard my mother shouting from downstairs. I rolled my eyes walking down stairs to see my parents holding their cellphones staring at me with such rage.

¨You got into another fight at school today?! And didn't even bother telling your dad or I? And you had the audacity to leave school after the fight!? We just got a call from the head principal!¨

¨Excuse me I was defending myself! She was calling me names and cornered me and then punched me right in the face! So I had to tell her who's boss and beat the living crap out of her!¨ I said in defense.

¨That's it, we are sending you somewhere to get help! You are just too much!¨

My parents and I continued fighting until I gave up knowing it wasn't going to get better. I decided to go to this ¨place¨ for help. Anywhere but here is better, I absolutely hate it here. Salem has been telling me to run away and I've tried but the men in blue uniforms always bring me back. I went upstairs to pack my things but my parents told me that I didn't need to pack anything and to just get into a car. So that's what I did, I got into the car threw in some earbuds and stared out the window.

It took us about an hour to get to an insane asylum. That is where they decided to take me an insane asylum. Parents of the year award goes to mine, how exciting. I got out of the car and walked into the hospital with my parents. The foul smell hit me like a school bus, it was horrible. We walked over to the front desk and signed me in, I was too busy looking around at all the scary looking people.

That's when two buff looking men in scrubs went on either side of me grabbing my arms and dragging me away from my parents. Both my parents looked at me with concern in their eyes before waving bye and leaving. The two men took me to a bathroom and handed me a white t-shirt, white sweatpants, and white socks to change into. They tried making me take off all my jewelry but I didn´t. They tried forcing me to take it off but me being stubborn I didn´t and I got to keep them on.

They both picked me up by my arms, took me to my room which was all white and only had a small bed and shackles and threw me inside. It also had a window with bars on them, outside the window was a pretty sight. It was all woods and the sky was all sorts of different colors. There was red, some pinks, orange, blue, and purple in the sky, like a pretty rainbow. It makes me happy that we at least get a view like this, most places I heard you don't have a window and it's just a blank white room.

****************************************************************************************************

A few hours past and the entire time I´ve been sitting in my room staring at the wall. I have not really moved or tried sleeping, I just sat here. I heard my door unlocked, in came a young male probably in his early thirty´s late twenties. I do admit he was very good looking, but he had what appeared to be big muscles and was a lot taller than me.

¨Hello Evelyn, how are you feeling today?¨ he asked.

¨fantastic¨ I said sarcastically.

¨Come on now I don't need the sarcasm. I really mean it.

¨I´m fine, there's nothing wrong with me. I´m doing alright.¨

¨Good¨ he said as he wrote on the clipboard.

¨Alright, if you will follow me, it is lunch time.¨

I groaned standing up and walked out with him. Two other men came up behind me as if I had two personal bodyguards so I would not run away. We arrived to the cafeteria to see patients, doctors and security guards everywhere.  They told me to sit at table 42 which was away from everyone else but still near people. I sat down and they told me they were going to get my food and the bodyguards would stand beside me.

People every now and then tried coming up to me saying the most obscure things and asking me weird questions. I don't really like people, I was never a social person really.

¨So you finally made it here, huh.¨ I looked over to see Salem sitting next to me.

¨Yup¨

¨I´m not surprised, I knew you would end up here one way or another.¨

¨Yeah, yeah I know.¨

¨Did they say how long they were going to keep you here?¨

¨Nope.¨

¨Gotcha, well hopefully it won't be for long right!¨ I just nodded.

¨Who are you talking too?¨ I looked to my right to see a bodyguard staring at me.

¨Oh my friend Salem¨ I turned back to Salem but she wasn´t there. The bodyguard just looked at me weirdly and continued about his day. Soon the doctor came back handing me a tray with appears to be mashed potatoes, apple sauce, milk, water, and cut up chicken. I grabbed my fork and took a bite of the chicken and immediately spit it right back out, it tasted foul.

I groaned and continued to eat my food and thats when I felt my table shake. I looked up to see two girls sitting side by side, is this for real?

¨Hi, I´m Cora! What is your name?¨ the pink haired girl said asked.

¨Evelyn and you-¨

¨Cora! And this is Quinn¨ she said pointing to the girl next to her.

¨We haven't seen anyone like you here before. We thought you would fit into our group so we decided to come over here!¨

¨And what makes you think that I fit into your ¨group¨?¨

¨Well you just look different from everybody else and I got a good vibe from you when I saw you.¨ We all then went around the table and talked about how and why we got into this mess.Their stories were quite sad, they didn't deserve what they got.  We also shared a couple laughs and smiles. I can't believe I'm saying this but I actually felt normal around these girls. They were right, I do fit in their group, I can tell we are going to get through this place together.

*******************************************************************************************************

I have been here for a couple months now and things got worse when I think they couldn't have.  The girls and I got closer though and we see each other almost everyday which I am surprised the guards and doctors allowed. I have been having some episodes lately and have had multiple suicide attempts.

Salem and Smiley have been visiting me a lot more than usual. The Beast comes and sees me every now and then, he's disappointed in me that I ended up here. I´ve been keeping a tally of how many days I´ve been here. I´ve been here for ninety-two days which is a lot; it is currently winter outside and I arrived here in the fall.

My doctor walked in to tell me that it was time for lunch which means I get to see the girls. I happily walked out and went to the cafeteria to my normal table. I saw Quinn coming this way but no Cora which made me concerned.

¨Where´s Cora?¨

¨I don´t know. I saw her doctor come to get her just a little while ago but she hasn't been back since.¨

¨Why would he take her early?¨

¨I heard that when that happens it means they are going to run tests on the patient.¨

¨You mean like experiments?¨ I quietly shouted.

Quinn nodded, this was bad. They can not do experiments on Cora, she's too sweet to be experimented on. The main door then opened and out came Cora and her doctor. The doctor walked Cora over to our table then left to go get her lunch.

¨Hey Cora are you alright?¨

¨I´m fine¨ was all she said.

¨What happened?¨ asked Quinn.

¨I don't really know, they just asked me a series of questions then injected me with a needle and put a medicine into my arm. But trust me, I´m fine¨ she smiled. There was something different about Cora, she seemed tamed. She didn´t seem like her normal bubbly self, she seemed more quiet and calm.

¨Did they tell you what they injected you with?¨

¨No all they said was it would make me happy.¨ Quinn and I shared concerned glares with each other before looking back at Cora. Her doctor came back and smiled at Cora.

¨I´m sorry Cora but will you will have to come with me. We will have your lunch in the purple room¨ purple was her favorite color. Cora looked up sighing, ¨alright.¨

¨Wait no why does she have to leave?!¨ Quinn yelled.

¨That is none of your business but between Cora and I. Now sit back down and finish your meal!¨

¨Not until you tell me what's wrong with MY friend!¨ Quinn stood up clenching her fists until the doctor ordered the bodyguards to take her away. Normally Cora would get mad but she just stood there and watched the guards take away Quinn. I forgot to mention that Cora has really bad anger issues but never at us only at doctors and bodyguards. For some reason the guards thought it was proper to drag me away as well. They grabbed me by both my arms and took me away and threw me back into my room. In my room was Smiley, Salem and surprisingly the beast.

¨Getting into trouble again?¨ Smiley mocked.

¨Shut up, Smiley. My friends and I all got seperated.¨

¨ugh how many times do I tell you Eve, you don´t need them when you have us¨ said the Beast.

¨I know that but it´s nice to have actual friends, other than you guys.¨

¨We understand that, I´m not really sure about Beast but Smiley and I do.¨

¨But there is something we need to tell you¨ said Salem.

¨You need to get out of here before it is too late. I feel something bad is about to happen, and it already has to your poor friend Cora.¨ I didn´t even mention Cora and Salem already knew, how strange.

¨I´m pretty sure you are next or maybe Quinn. I´m not sure all I know is that you need to escape from here because if you don't then...¨

¨What is it Salem?¨

¨Then you will be stuck here forever I´m afraid¨ then they all disappeared leaving me there feeling hopeless and sad.  My thoughts were racing in my head, I had not clue of what to do. Tears began running down my cheeks and I began to panic, I do not want to be stuck in this place forever. So I began to think of scenarios of ways to escape this place.

Scenario one: There is always guards walking around the hallways except for hallway BC401. There is an exit door in that hallway but requires a keycard which we would have to get from one of the doctors.

Scenario two:fighting our way out. We would have to fight all the guards and escape through the main entrance which probably isn't the smartest idea.

Scenario three:The tunnels underground, which can be located in a small door on the floor in one of the experiment rooms. But it does require a key.

I will have to talk to the girls about it and see what they say. The door opens and my doctor walks in to do his daily check up. Asking me the same questions he asks me everyday and I say the same thing as always. Now it is time for supper which gives me a chance to talk to the girls. I leave my room with the bodyguards and go to the table which we normally sit at.

Then came my two best friends and I explain to them what Salem told me and the scenarios I thought of.

¨I like the first scenario it seems to be the safest and easiest¨ said Quinn.

¨I don´t know about all this, everything seems to overwhelming and complicated. Maybe we should just stay here and play it safe¨ said Cora. Quinn and I just looked at her confused.

¨So you want to stay here for a very much longer time or possibly forever? What is wrong with you Cora? You use to always talk about wanting to get out of here and now you don´t? What have they been doing to you back there?¨

Cora just shrugged, ¨I...I don´t know anymore. Everything seems to be a blur or I can´t remember all of my memories. I don´t even know who I am anymore..¨ Quinn and I looked at each other and nodded in agreement.

¨That's it, we leave tonight. Cora if you can maybe you can take one of the doctor´s cards when they...um take you back there.¨ Cora nodded in agreement while sighing, this is going to be a difficult night.

********************************************************************************************************

I looked outside my window to see the dark night sky, it's time to escape. Before they took me back to my room Quinn gave me one of her bobby pins to unlock the door which I began to do. Let me tell you it is not easy picklocking a mental hospital door but I managed to do so. I slowly opened the door looking both ways to see no guards. I slowly crept out of my room shutting the door. I slowly walked down the dark, creepy hallway until I reached the Quinn and Cora´s room.I unlocked Quinns door letting her out.

¨Cora got moved to a different room, she is in hallway BC401¨ she whispered.

¨Excellent, this will make things easier.¨ Quinn and I crept through the hallway, dodging security cameras and sleeping guards.

¨You´re going to get caught. Go back to your room¨ Salem kept repeating.

¨Shut up¨ I said, but she didn´t.

¨I said shut up!¨ I slightly shouted.

¨Eve shhh!¨ We then heard a guard walking towards our way. Quinn and I hid against the wall hoping the guard didn´t see us which he didn´t. Quinn and I sighed in relief and continued to Cora´s room. I kneeled down and started pick locking her door.

¨This is going to be a while. Cover me while I do this.¨ After what felt like forever her door unlocked then a really loud alarm went off. Cora ran out of her room showing us she had gotten the card and a key. We all three started panicking and began running around trying to find the exit door. Guards began chasing us and metal doors were coming down over the patients doors so they could not get out.

We ran to the exit door and tried scanning the keycard but it wasn't working.

¨what the heck?! Please door just work!¨ Cora cried. Salem, the Beast, and Smiley all kept repeating that I wasn't going to get out of here and that I´m going to be stuck here forever which was driving me crazy. Doctors and guards began walking towards us which made us panic even more. Eventually Cora tried the key and it worked, we all three burst through that door and began running down the hallway. The doctors and guards chased us as we ran left and right down the halls, it was like a huge maze.

We all began running to a door but a doctor stepped in front of us. We turned around and saw a guard walking towards us. So we decided to split up, Cora and Quinn went left and I went right. My heart was racing and my hands and face were sweating, my mind was racing faster than ever. Eventually I found a door and ran to it bursting through it. I felt the cool wind hit my face, I was outside. I took no time to run away as far away as I could. As I was running I saw Quinn and Cora up ahead.

¨Quinn, Cora wait!¨ I screamed, they both turned and stopped.

¨E-Eve, we-we did it!¨ Cora said out of breath. We all smiled and hugged each other, we were finally out of that hell hole.

¨I can´t believe we made it, I for sure thought the guards were going to get us.¨ We all nodded at each other. Finally after a few months we are finally free. I smiled and laid on the grass looking up at the stars. Cora and Quinn both laid side by side to me talking about how the air feels nice. I took a deep breath, breathing in the cool air, the taste of freedom.

¨You´re not going anywhere Eve¨ I heard Quinn say. I looked over to Quinn but it was Salem, I gasped and sat up.

¨You´ll be stuck here forever¨ Smiley whispered in my ear.

¨Shut up” I held my knees to my chest; covering my ears and began to rock back and forth.

¨You´ll be here for the rest of your life silly girl¨ the Beast teased.

¨Shut up!!!¨ I screamed squeezing my eyes shut.

¨You´re gonna be stuck here forever...but at least you have us.¨ I opened my eyes to see a blank white wall. I looked around to see Salem, Beast and Smiley sitting in front of me and I realized I was back in my room.

¨It´s okay Eve, we all go a little mad sometimes...¨