Dead Inside | Teen Ink

Dead Inside

By Chloe455, Knob Noster, Missouri
Chloe455, Knob Noster, Missouri

Author's note:

I am 18 years old and I love writing. I want to publish something one day even if it doesnt blow up all big just to get my work out there would be really cool to me.

Its long and a lot happens but the whole novel explains it all.

It was right there two feet from me... lying there stiff as a board. I wasn’t sure if I should check it out or just walk away. Of all the things to find while taking pictures in the woods, this? Really? It’s just my luck, of course, to just stumble across a freaking dead body! From here I can’t tell who it is but this is a small town so no matter who it is I will know them and my parents would have probably been really close to them or their family. Ugh what am I going to do? If I call the cops I will be questioned and probably become a suspect even though I’ve done nothing, but if I don’t whoever this is will just be rotting out here till who knows when and I would constantly feel guilty and the guilt would probably eat me alive and I would probably commit suicide.. Woah sorry I tend to over think a lot. Anyway, back to the story. Obviously I went with calling for help because it was totally obvious that was the better choice. So I called 411, and said that I came across this body in the woods and that we need an ambulance now. (Oh for any confused American reading this 411 is 911 in England, A.K.A where I am from.) The ambulance arrived about 10 minutes later along with the police, oh and goody my parents came too. I was waiting patiently while the EMT’s were getting everything out to carry the body away, when she came running, my mother almost bounding toward me I knew what was coming now some kind of huge scene. My mother loves to make a scene at just about everything where attention could be given to her, she did a lot of acting back in high school and college. She wanted to make a career out of it but got pregnant with me on accident about two months before some big movie director came to find worthy talent. She still tried out for the director but since she was showing some and her medical records showed that she was pregnant since they had to know about anything that could be medically a problem in the acting business. Obviously the director shot her down his reasoning being that the star wasn’t cast as pregnant. She was devastated and has pretty much blamed me my whole life for her missed “one chance at being a star”. Anyway she started crying right in front of me and like death grip hugged me yelling “I’m so glad you’re okay honey, I don’t know what I would’ve done with myself if you had gotten hurt or… or died!” Still weeping she let go and just stood there staring at me. “I’m fine really you don’t…” I began but was interrupted by an Officer.

“Excuse me miss are you the one who found the body?”

“No I just like being the bloody center of attention at crime scenes, of course I bloody found the f'ing body!” I said with more attitude and louder than I meant it to be so a few cops looked over at us like I was crazy. My mother spoke now of course, “Oh Officer, forgive my poor Elena, she’s obviously very distraught about this whole very upsetting ordeal and it’s taking its toll on her I mean she’s only 16, this is nothing a teenage girl should see in her life time, well that anyone should see ever. She didn’t mean it.” I honestly didn’t expect that to come out of her mouth, but it was actually great because I really did mean it but not for them to hear. Being stunned for a moment I hadn’t said anything to back her up so she slightly nudges me.

“Oh, yes officer I’m deeply sorry for that freak out, I truly didn’t mean it, I am just very upset and confused.” I say trying to sound as sincere as possible.

“Well its okay just try not to do it again, your mother is right this is nothing that a girl your age should have seen, but if you’re up to it we really need you to answer some questions for us right now. Only if you feel up to it, just better when it’s fresh on your memory.” Asked the Officer.

“Oh right of course that makes perfect sense, I think I can do it.” I hesitantly said.

“Great! We will have your mom follow us back to the station for a more comfortable place to talk.” said the Officer.

“Yes please, thank you sir.” I said totally being a bitch but he didn’t seem to notice. He then walked off giving my mom a slight wave. My mom started walking toward the car and I followed reluctantly because I was extremely tired and just really wanted a shower and to sleep. Plus there wasn’t really a reason for me to talk to the police about it since I didn’t see it happen or anything I just found the body. But fair enough it’s probably not good to take any chances in a murder investigation.

We got in the car and began following them to the station. My mom took this opportunity to scold me.

“How could you let this happen? Do you know how it’s going to make me look when people see me taking my daughter to the freaking police station to be questioned about a f'ing murder investigation? How it’s going to make your father look?!” She said in a very pissed off tone.

“Excuse me? How could I let this happen? Are you f'ing kidding me mother? I JUST F'ING HAPPENED ACROSS A F'ING BODY. I’m pretty damn sure that I shouldn’t be blamed I didn’t f'ing kill that person! I can’t believe you right now wait actually I can because of course something bad happens to me and you f'ing act like its all about you like I did this on purpose. Are you f'ing kidding me ugh!!” I said completely pissed beyond normal. She was always like this with everything like when I played volleyball she would yell at me for having games because people expected to see her there so she had to take time out of her precious little bitch schedule to come watch if you could even call it that. I shouldn’t have been so naïve as to think that she would actually be nice to me. My dad is the only one who cares about me and he kind of spoils me but that’s much better then how my mother treats me. All my friends have asked at least once if I was sure that she wasn’t an evil step mom but I swear she’s my biological mother sadly.

We had just pulled into the parking lot of the police and she says “If you say one word about our conversation in the car I will destroy your life. Do you understand me?” I say with lots of sass “Yeah you could have fun trying to destroy my life from jail I could show them my bruises too if you would like to go there? Don’t threaten me bitch I have way more over your head, like your cheating on my dad, you beat me when he’s not around and I constantly have bruises and cuts. I haven’t said shit to anyone, I hide them well and I don’t tell anyone about your little affair and you’re threatening me?” She sits back and purses her lips like she hadn’t even thought about that and is considering all of this. She turns and says, “I suppose you are right, you have kept all my little secrets when any normal kid would have blabbed. No I’m not threatening you, you have been a good kid as much as it pains me to say this, I am grateful for you and who you are and your loyalty. I’m sorry for being so rude I know this can’t be easy on you. Let’s go get this over with and get you home so you can take a relaxing bath and get some sleep.” I was so astonished I hadn’t noticed I was staring at her with my mouth gaping open. “What? I have a soft side too. I just don’t show it as much as your father.” She said with slight agitation. She hated that my father spoiled me so much but I felt that at least he was showing some love even when his life is so overwhelming and takes up most of his time. I had rarely even heard my mother say I love you to me my whole life, whereas my father didn’t leave the house without saying it to me. “Sorry it has just been a long time since I have heard you be so kind and open. I am glad you said that, it’s good to hear you say things like that for real and not because of some crowd. And yes please let’s get this f'ing over with I want to go home!” I said still surprised but grateful. My mom and I got out of the car and walked up the walkway to the doors. When we entered we saw the officer who had asked us to come, waiting for us by the front desk. “Hello, come on back to the questioning room and we will get started.” He said with a matter of fact tone. Man I‘m really really tired, is the room spinning? Hmm weird, I thought to myself. “Why is your wallpaper like that?” I said majorly confused. “What do you mean? Its normal wallpaper.” He said without looking back at me. “Well your definition of normal is… is majorly different from mine, moving wallpaper is normal to you with the flashing lights every so often? Weird” I said feeling a little groggy and like everything was moving really slowly. “What are you talking about? Moving wallpaper? Flashing lights?” He asked again not looking back. “Are you blind it’s clearly mov…” Everything stopped moving and the lights began to get very dark very fast, I watched barley as the only thing that moved was the floor. Crash! Bahm! I felt my head hit something metal and then the floor. Then everything went black…..

(Moms point of view)

Crash!! Thud! “Careful sweetie there’s a lot of people in here you must watch out.” I said without even looking. “Sweetie? AHHH (screams loudly) OMG!! Someone help! Someone call 411! My baby, my poor baby!” I hurried over to her and fell to the floor beside her. I lifted Elena’s upper body into my arms hugging her and crying. “Honey, wake up. Elena come on dear open your eyes for mommy. Please.. What the?” I lifted my hand which was now covered in blood. “Oh my god! That’s a lot of blood!” I said as I finally noticed the puddle of blood on the floor.

“Miss what happened?! Wow that’s a lot of blood.” Said one of the officers.

“Yeah it is a lot of f'ing blood thank you captain obvious! I don’t know what happened she was feeling fine and then she just collapsed. There better be someone coming that can actually help save my daughter’s life!” I snapped.

“Yes ma’am I’m sorry. The ambulance is on their way.” He said in a shaky voice, he was obviously terrified of me right now.

“They better be  speeding, my daughter is losing a lot of blood and I’m not about to lose her because of some slow ambulance, I will sue if she dies!” I threatened almost screaming.

“O-okay m-miss. I p-promise they will b-be here.” The young officer whimpered.

“What’s with the stuttering boy, scared?” I nagged.

“Y-yes m-m-ma’am. V-very.” He whispered.

“Good you should be! I can be a very scary person when I don’t get my way, especially when it comes to my daughter! Get me something to stop the bleeding you moron what are you a rookie?!” I barked orders at him and he very quickly said “Yes ma’am.” and scurried off to find something for the blood. The officer who asked us to come in had been standing next to my mother the whole time and now finally spoke up “Miss… I never caught your name but you have to calm down all this yelling and freaking out will only make things harder on you.” I looked up, opened my mouth but didn’t say anything for a minute, taking what he said into consideration. “My name is Victoria Hemmingway, and maybe your right, its just she’s my baby my only child and I haven’t been the best parent up to this point and I just feel like there was so much I wanted to show her about life. I wanted to help her through her first hard break up and I wanted to help her pick out a prom dress and a wedding dress.. and (she starts balling her eyes out) I just… (Crying noise).. I can’t lose her, especially now that I’ve realized everything I missed out on, and how horrible of a mom I was!” I continued sobbing really hard.

“Oh Mrs. Hemmingway, I highly doubt you’re a horrible mother. And you will get to see all those days with her I promise okay. Just breath everything is going to be okay.”

“How do you know that?! She’s bleeding out on the floor right now and I have no god damn idea why she even passed out in the first place! She could have some internal injuries from god knows what and could be dying right now!”

“I know that she is going to be okay because she is still breathing right now and the ambulance is here.”

“Oh my god really I didn’t even hear the sirens. Thank god! Come quickly she’s seriously injured!” I shouted to the EMT’s, though I never left her side. They gently checked for a pulse and then picked her up and placed her on a gurney and rolled her to the back of the ambulance. I walked with them and was holding Elena’s hand the whole time until they had to lift the gurney to put her in the ambulance which I then was helped up into it so I could travel with my daughter.

They shut the doors and began to speed to the hospital. About five minutes later we were at London’s Saving-Grace Hospital. They unloaded Elena and I was right back to walking right by her side the whole way into the hospital and all the way to the X-ray room. They laid Elena on this cold metal table on her stomach so they could X-ray the wound on her head. I was almost demanding that they let me sit with my daughter but they continued to hold me back and tell me I couldn’t. They did like three scans and then they took her to a room where they cleaned up her wound and then laid her back against a few pillows. “Thank you.” I said to the nurses as they left the room. I looked over at my daughter, my unconscious, injured daughter. She’s so beautiful, why did I always criticize her? I thought to myself. “Why was I such a horrible mother? How could I be so cruel to my very own flesh and blood? She didn’t deserve that, she never deserved anything that I did or said to her.” I spoke my thoughts aloud before I noticed the figure lurking in the doorway. “Oh lord you scared me, how long have you been standing there?” “Long enough to hear what you said about mistreating your beloved daughter, what exactly do you mean by all that?” asked the dark figure who still hadn’t stepped into the light yet. “That’s none of your business. That is a family matter.” I said sternly hoping the strong front that I was putting up was enough to cover my rising fear. “Actually, not to be rude, but it is my business seeing as she is MY granddaughter. You’re right it is a family matter so let’s talk as a family Katerina.” He said as he stepped into the light, where I could now see his face. “Father? Why are you.. How did you.. What are you doing here?” I demanded. He turned to look at Elena and then back at me before speaking. “I am here to meet my granddaughter. Changing your name and your hair to try to hide from your mother and I was slightly smart but your biggest flaw was marrying a rich and famous man. You became entitled and well known. How could we not hear about the famous Hemmingway family? After all his field is around the same as mine, we have a trading system with him and his team.” My father stated proudly. “You know exactly why I left home and you had no right coming here. She doesn’t know that you even exist and she won’t have to know that pain ever, I won’t let her get hurt like I did. I think its best if you just leave me alone and go back home where you belong.” I said confidently but deep inside I could feel the fear multiplying by a thousand. “Well that’s more up to her isn’t it? Tell her your story all you want but let her hear ours too. All we want is to know our granddaughter, to let her know us. Once she knows both sides, she may then decide if she wants us in her life or not. If she decides not then we will leave in peace no drama or anything.” He said with a sad longing tone, he looked sincere though I knew much better. I thought about what he said for a second, I could tell her my side first and sort of persuade her I mean she might listen after I apologize and all. Then again maybe he was being honest and true, he was occasionally known for keeping his word and telling the truth when it mattered the most. “Okay, deal. She will decide for herself and whatever she decides you will be okay with and leave quietly with no trouble, you understand?” I said sternly. “Yes we understand and we will do as we promised given that she turns us away of course.” He says matter-of-factly. “Wait we? Who is we? And yes I know.” I asked slightly confused. “Myself and your mother of course.” He says as he steps aside from the doorway revealing a tiny old women standing proud as ever though she looked unwell. “Mom? I didn’t think you would be here too. You don’t look so good, are you sick?” I asked in a concerned voice, I did care about my mother and her wellbeing, definitely more than I cared about my father and probably more than my father himself cared. “You should know your father and I are inseparable especially now. Yes I am sick but it’s nothing that will kill me, I sure as hell won’t let it. If I am going to leave this planet I’m going to go out with a bang!” She exclaimed with an interesting amount of enthusiasm. She was always so stubborn about everything so it was no surprise to me that she was so stubborn about death too. “Of course. And what a surprise to find your stubbornness is still fully intact. What is it that you are sick with exactly?” I curiously asked. “Its …..” She started but was interrupted by a loud groan. I quickly turned around to where my daughter lay. She was waking up from the looks of it. I scurried to her side and grabbed her hand. “Elena honey? Are you awake?” I asked urgently. She wiggled a little and groaned again. “Take it easy honey, only talk if you are up for it don’t overdo it.” I warned. “I’ll go get the doctor.” My father said and then walked out promptly. I looked back at Elena, she looked like she was in a lot of pain and I hated it. Hated watching her suffer like this. A few minutes passed feeling more like hours, when finally my father had walked in with the doctor. “Hello Miss, has she spoken yet?” He asked while checking the monitor. “No she hasn’t spoken but she has wiggled and groaned twice and fluttered her eyes when I spoke to her.” I said intently. “Hmm okay. Let me just see here, Elena can you hear me?” He said while using his little light to check her pupils. She blinked and groaned again but this time shook her head in response to the doctors question. She shook it up and down signaling that she could hear us. “This is good she can hear and is responsive. Can you speak?” The doctor asked a little too loud for me. Elena looked up blinking heavily and opened her mouth to talk. “I…I.. thin..k soo..” Elena said with great difficulty. “Good job sweetie, good job” I said feeling good that she woke up and could talk. “Yes, very good. Just take it easy while we run some more tests and wait for your other results.” The doctor said while jotting something down on his clipboard. He walked out muttering to himself.

Back to Elena’s point of view:

I looked around everything was a little fuzzy but I could make out my mom and two other figures.

“Mom?” I asked a little unsure.

“Yes honey I’m here. Do you remember what happened?” She spoke in a hopeful sweet tone that I had never heard before.

“I… I remember th-e moving wa-alls. What ha-happened?” I stuttered and it drove me insane. I hated not being able to speak correctly I felt like a baby again only I was smart enough to know what I meant but not being able to say it. Something felt wrong but I couldn’t put my finger on it.

“Well you collapsed at the police station and hit your head on a metal table. Do you remember how you were feeling before you passed out? They took X-rays and an MRI but the results haven’t come back yet about why you passed out or if you sustained any head injuries when you hit it.” She asked in a very unusually caring tone.

“I r-re-remember feeling dizzy and hot very hot. No pain, j-just dizzy and extremely tired a-almost l-like I couldn’t c-control my body to stay awake b-bu-but it w-wasn’t like a g-gradual build up, the t-tiredness just hit me all of t-the s-sudden.” I said getting better with the stutter but still struggling. I tried harder to remember but I couldn’t it was like everything was blank. I couldn’t remember why I was at the place with the moving walls either. Somethings not right.. I thought to myself.

“Okay that’s strange, I wonder what caused all that. I hope it’s nothing serious and that that table didn’t do too much damage.” *ring ring, ring ring* her phone started going off and I didn’t recognize the ring tone at all. She reached over and grabbed the phone. “Hello?” she said. The other person spoke but it was too low for me to make it out.

“Oh hi dear, no we are at the hospital, I told that boy to tell you what happened.” She said a bit annoyed this time.

“Honey calm down I am fine” she stated in a soothing voice. The person spoke louder this time I could make out some of what they said.

“Then who’s in the hospital that could be keeping you there? I can’t think of anyone important enough….” They said but got too muffled for me to hear anymore.

“Umm your daughter is who is keeping me here! Did you forget she was with me or something?” She said much louder and definitely irritated.

“Oh I hadn’t thought about that option because she is always so careful. No of course I didn’t forget she was with you I’d never forget my baby girl. What happened?! Is she going to be okay?! I’m on my way right now, Hey Chris cancel all my afternoon events and mark me out for family emergency! Okay….” They said and yelled orders to someone else and then trailed off again.

“I’ll explain everything when you get here okay? Drive safe. I love you.” She said in a sweet tone. After they answered she hung up and looked back at me.

“Your father is on his way sweetie, you look confused are you okay? Is something hurting?” My mom asked.

“I-I don’t know, nothing hurts b-but something’s not right… I-I c-can’t put m-my finger on it though…” I said faintly and then my voice trailed off as I was trying to figure out what was wrong.

“Oh honey you are badly injured I’m sure it just the pain confusing you. And the meds are a lot too.” She said.

I completely disagree though I know I’m on meds but this isn’t that because I can feel those, the meds are just making me sleepy this is different, I thought to myself. She still saw the confusion on my face and started to look really concerned. All of the sudden my body was shaking uncontrollably and I blacked out. 

Back to moms view:

“What is it sweetie? Something is clearly... OMG!! NURSE SOMEONE HELP” I asked. Someone rushed in and saw that Elena was seizing. 

"Code Blue!" The nurse shouted as she pressed a button that set off an alarm. A bunch of people rushed in and where moving Elena around. Pulling pillows from under her and moving the blanket.

"Alright lets flip her quick and smooth people." a doctor said. They then flipped her to her side and it was perfect timing because she then puked all over the side of the bed and another nurse. 

BEEEEEEEPPPPPP! The monitor continued a long high pitched sound. I looked at the monitor and it was a flat line. I am not a doctor but I know that means she just flat lined.

"FLIP HER BACK AND CHARGE PADDLES TO 200!!" shouted a doctor.

They flipper her and used the paddles to shock her. The screen continues to flat line. The sound of my heart beating is louder than all their voices. They rush around me but I can't move. 

"CHARGE TO 300! CLEAR!" yelled the Doctor. They shocked her again and I hear the monitor start beeping with a heart beat. Oh thank god. They set her back where she was and a nurse fixes the blankets and pillows. 

"What happened to my daughter?" I asked nervously.

"She had a seizure that induced cardiac arrest" the nurse stated bluntly. 

"Her heart stopped? Is she going to be okay?" I replied.

"Yes she should be okay now. of course we are keeping her for a few days for tests and to make sure she is all good before we send her home" the nurse answered and then walked out. It's getting pretty late so I decided to go to sleep. 

A few days pass with no change. Elena is still completely out. Her heart stopped again. When I woke up my husband was here, sitting on her bed watching her sleep. We have been going back and forth from work to the hospital. Taking turns staying with her. Its the beginning of day three now. 

Back to Elenas view:

I feel so light and empty. Death would be easy, painless. But that's too easy for me. Living will be harder but I have to. My eyes are so heavy. I can hear someone speaking faintly. The voices slowly grow louder as I begin to wake up.

"I don't know what is going to happen but we cant just give up" my dad said. I instantly recognized it. 

"I'm missing so much work though and she clearly isn't getting any better maybe we should just let her go" My mom said. Did she really just say that? I thought to myself.

"You really just said that about our daughter.. I can't even believe you it has been two days Gretchen!" my dad got louder as he spoke.

"Dad?" I whispered very weakly. I wasn't even sure that it was loud enough to hear. I couldn't hear it but he turned towards me.

"Baby? Omg! Elena!! You're awake that's amazing!" My dad exclaimed as he hugs me.

"Well I guess that settles that argument. I'm going to get some coffee and a nurse." My mom said plainly. I didn't expect much from her but I was dying and just woke up feeling good. But what a shocker she doesn't care.

"Elena how do you feel?" My dad asked. 

"Thirsty, really thirsty" I said in a raspy whisper.

"ill get you some water" My dad  said as he quickly moved to fetch my water. "Here you go dear" He handed me the cup. I took a few sips and felt much better. I finished the cup quickly, I could feel my throat becoming less dry and tight. I went to say something and my mother walked back in the room, fresh coffee in hand and a nurse to her left.

"Ah finally. Welcome back my dear. How do you feel?" the nurse asked kindly.

"I feel like I got hit by a bus haha" I stated.

"Yeah you will for a little while. I will see what the doctors want to do with you. Ill be back in a little bit. Drink lots of water and eat something" the nurse said and then she disappeared. I just sat there for second thinking. I glanced up at the door and saw two figures standing in the door way. It was an old women and man just smiling at me. 

“Who are they?” I asked quiet confused because I didn’t recognize them at all. My parents turned and I could tell they immediately recognized them. 

“These are your grandparents… You have never met them, but Elena this is Grayson and Mira Spencer.” My mom said in a very uneasy tone.

“Hello sweetheart, we have been waiting a long time to meet you, you are so beautiful and grown up. I am Mira but you can call me Grandma.” The old women said to me in a very caring tone.

“Hi. Thank you. I’d say I have been waiting to meet you too but I didn’t know anything about you or that you existed but I am happy to meet you now.” I said carefully as to not offend them.

"We appreciate that very much. How are you feeling?" Mira spoke with such empathy. I was surprised to see she cared so much about me when they didn't even know me. My mother had also told me they were long gone and wouldn't have cared about me anyway. Clearly she was lying and very wrong. 

"I am feeling very tired and a little in pain honestly. Mom, Dad can you get the nurse please?" I pleaded.

"Yes, of course dear." She gave Mira and Grayson an uneasy smile and  both my parents walked out.

"I know you must have been told some horrible things about us. But if you want to know anything you can ask and we will answer honestly." Grayson said.

"I do.." I started but I was interrupted by the nurse.

"How you feeling dear? Mom says you feel pain." the nurse questioned.

"Yes I do feel pain. It hurts to sit up and my head hurts a lot." I replied.

"Of course. I'll just up the dose of pain killer going in your IV" she answered kindly, "There you go. Should be feeling better in no time."

The nurse finished up and then walked out. I felt a little tingling sensation in my arm as the new dose was flowing from the needle into me.

"I do have a lot to ask. But I don't think my mom would like it if she walked in and you were correcting her damage. You know? I think it will have to wait until I can go see you myself" I stated.

"We understand that. We would love to see you out of this hospital and alone. Give us a chance to bond with you. Do you have a cell phone?" Mira asked.

"Yes, I have a phone. Do you need it?" I replied. 

"I would like to put our number in there" She said.

"Oh okay. Here you go" 

I handed her my phone. I felt good about meeting them and about trying to reconnect. I want to know more about them and why my mom hid such nice people from me my whole life. 

"Oh my. This is an old phone for someone your age. We thought you might have one already but seeing as you don't here. Get well soon present." Grayson said. 

He handed me a box and when I opened it I found the newest iPhone in it. 

"Oh wow! Thank you guys so much" I exclaimed. 

They smiled at me seeing how happy my reaction was. So they have some money clearly. That's nice for them. My parents have money but of course its never spent on me. My dad has 5 vintage cars that he has had fully restored and he drives a new one every day. While I'm over here walking everywhere I go because they refuse to buy me a car claiming they cant afford it. I'm not allowed to drive any of dads cars at all and in order to even take my drivers test I went with a friend who let me test in their car. They are ridiculous when it comes to me. Maybe getting to know my grandparents would be the best thing for me. Maybe I could move in with them and get away from my parents. 

"Where did your mind go love? Looks like you were deep in thought" Grayson asked.

"Oh, I was just thinking about how nice its going to be to get to know you guys. Maybe better for me." I said meekly. 

"We hope it will be nice for you and how could it be better?" Mira questioned. 

I thought for a moment whether I should tell them now or later. But my chance disappeared when my mom entered the room. I don't know how they would take it anyway being she is their daughter and all. 

"Honey, did the nurse come in and fix you up?" my mom asked seemingly caring.

"Yes she came in and upped the dose some. I feel better. Where is Dad?" I answered.

"Good, good. Oh he got a call from work they really needed him. He said he was sorry and he loves you. Now do you want to take a nap? You should rest now." She said.

"No I don't feel tired right now." I stated flatly.

I knew she was trying to find a reason to kick my grandparents out but I wanted them here. More then I wanted her here. As soon as she kicks them out ill be left alone with her and it wont be all sleeping and kindness from her. It never is with her. She doesn't have a kind bone in her body until she's in front of an audience. That's why I run because I get hours away from her and that house. 

"I think you need rest now. Grayson, Mira if you could leave please she should relax and rest. She had enough excitement for one day. You can come back tomorrow I guess." My mom said without even looking at me. 

"I don't want them to leave mother!" I raised my voice a little.

"Excuse me?! I am your mother and I say its time for everyone to leave!" she shouted at me. In the way she shouts at home. I thought she might slip up in front of them.

"I just woke up mother! I am not even tired and its probably good for me to be up" I retorted.

"You know what Elena Grace! F'ING FINE!! They can take you home too because I am done. I'm going back to work" She yelled and grabbed her things. Before leaving she came up tp me and began to whisper in my ear. 

"If you tell your father you will have to deal with me at home when he's gone. Remember that ungrateful rat." She whispered as she gripped my arm really tightly. I just nod and she finally leaves. I take a minute to regroup and rub my arm a little. My grandparents look extremely confused.

"What just happened Elena?" Mira asked.

"My mom just gets upset easy its ok she will cool down and be fine later" I lied.

"Okay dear if you say so. So it is okay if we stay right?" She questioned.

"Yes I'd really like that." I responded. 

They stayed with me and I told them all about my school life and my friends. Pretty much all about me mostly. I tried to avoid talking about my mom because I was in a good mood and I didn't want to ruin it by getting emotional and telling sad stories. But I couldn't stall forever. They finally asked about the conversation earlier.

"Elena, what happened with your mother earlier?" asked Mira.

"Oh that? It's nothing. We don't get on well"  I said without making eye contact.

I could tell she didn't believe me. She gave me a very sideways look. I don't really know if telling them is the best idea right now. Maybe Ill wait till I can go over to their house alone. Maybe they will take me in. Rather live with people I don't know over my own mother. 

"Are you sure that's all it is?" asked Grayson, he gave me a concerned look.

"I.. how about you ask me that when I come see you guys, when I'm alone. I cant talk here." I said.

"Okay sweetie. We understand." Said Mira.

I talked to them for hours about just everything. It was the best day I have had in a long time. They left shortly before visiting hours were over and I was honestly so sad time passed so quickly. It was late now and I was so happy and excited to see them again I couldn't get to sleep. The night nurse finally came to check on me and noticed I was awake.

"Hey dear, everything okay?" She asked kindly

"Yes ma'am I just cant sleep. super excited about seeing my grandparents again." I said ecstatically.

"Oh I see. Well you really need your rest to get better. I'm going to give you a little something to help you sleep, if that's okay?" She asked promptly

"Oh yes please. I would like to get out of here as soon as possible." I said quickly.

"Good, that's all we want. You all better and getting out of here." She said as she was messing with a bottle of something and a needle. She then injected the needle into my IV line. It didn't take long for the meds to kick in. I grew very tired very fast and before I knew it I was out like a light. I woke up the next morning to the sound of people arguing.

"What did you expect me to do?! She yelled at me like she was some f'ing adult and made me look like a fool in front of my parents. It was disrespectful, I honestly should have done worse." my mom said angrily. 

"You bruised her f'ing arm Gretchen! If you touch her again like that I will take her from you and all the money too. She is nearly an adult and she is allowed to speak her mind. She is also allowed to decide how she feels about your parents on her own. You have been deciding for Elena her whole life, its time she learns how to on her own." my father barked at her. 

"Oh please that tiny bruise on her arm its the least that brat deserves. You wont do shit and you know it. Your not even around enough to be called her father. You really want to play whose the better parent with a judge? You don't have a single thing on me. I look like a wonderful mother and she would never stand against me. Her life depends too much on me. She doesn't have the right to yell at me and make decisions about people she doesn't know!" my mother screamed back at him.

"Wow mom. Nice. Thanks for the love. Can you get out now? I don't want you here." I said bluntly. 

"What did you just say to me?! Oh no, that's it you are done!" She screamed and started towards me. My dad grabbed her arm and pulled her back. 

"Do not touch her Gretchen I will call the cops right now. Don't you go near her. Get out, go to work. NOW!" He shouted at her and slightly shoved her towards the door.

"You cant hide behind your father forever Elena. He disappears for days for work and all you have is me. You better watch it." She snapped and then stormed out. 

"Dad.. I know you cant quit work to protect me. You should have just let her hit me. At least then id have a mark and might live. I hid behind you now and she's going to take it out on me later. I cant avoid it. Its okay." I said not making eye contact because to me it really wasn't okay. It was going to be bad next time we are alone. 

"No baby, its not okay." He said.