Jump Scare: Short Story | Teen Ink

Jump Scare: Short Story

By Ap, Maysville, Kentucky
Ap, Maysville, Kentucky

Author's note:

We were reading short campfire stories that inspired us to write scary stories.

It all started in the city of Dallas, TX. The last day of school before fall break. Three senior boys and their girls are talking about a trip to Wyoming over a late lunch at Steak and Shake.

¨So you know how it's becoming spooky season… Why don't we travel the U.S. to the best haunted houses in the United States?¨ Jordan explained

All of the other friends agreed with his idea and now to decide where the best haunted house is. They researched the scariest haunted houses on the internet and found that Milwaukee, WI has the most level 5 scare factored haunted houses.

So the kids began their journey.

Every hour of the drive the drivers rotated for 16 hours.

Titus decided to drive half of the way because he drove faster than anyone and he wanted to get there in a hurry.

Julia asked, ¨Are we there yet?¨ at least 100 times.

Teresa and Sadie listened to their music and slept the whole time even when Scrap had the aux cord playing bangers. The boys are dancing while the girls are gossiping on their phones. Worrying about who is jealous of them and who is ugly.

¨Ewwww. She is really gross because of what she wears in her instagram pictures.¨ Sadie whispered.

¨Nobody even likes her anymore.¨ Teresa added.

Titus yelled in his exited voice cutting everyone off mid sentence, ¨W-w-w one more hour left everyone.¨

Everyone started cheering and yelling.

So Scrap started playing the song ¨Oh Happy Day¨

When they arrived at their cabin everyone realized that it wasn't as what they expected or wanted from the pictures online.

Anyways, everyone got their bags out of the trunk and took them inside.

¨Anyone down to grab something to smack on before we have to go to bed before the haunted houses tomorrow.¨ Jordan said as he licked his lips.

¨Yeah I'm down.¨ Scrap, Sadie, and Teresa said at the same time.

¨J-J-J Julia and I will order a pizza and some wings and chill at the crib.¨ Titus stuttered

The next morning everyone woke up around 10:30 but didn't talk to each other because everyone is on social media on their phone. The tour of the haunted houses started at 2:30 so they didn't have much time to get ready and snag some food. The kids decided to eat at Sauk-Prairie Grill. When they are completely finished eating the decided to get to the tour early at 2.

During the tour everyones legs are getting tired and they didn't want to walk anymore. Half way through the tour they bought cinnamon pretzels from Auntie Anne’s. The tour finally ended at 7:30 when it is already dark. The group went back to the room for a little bit to take a nap before the haunted houses opened at 10. On their way back to the haunted houses their GPS lost connection and now they are lost.

“Ummmm where are we?” asked Sadie.

“I think it is right around this corner.” Jordan answered.

Except that around the next corner is a abandoned mansion haunted by robotic stuffed animals led by a giant valentines teddy bear with metal arms and stuffed legs with a human head named Rainbow Sprinkles.

“This kinda looks like the place.” Scrap said nervously.

“I-I-I I don't know if I still want to do this whole haunted house thing.” said Titus as he is shivering. “Maybe we could go home early so we can study for school.”

“No shot, I am not going home early to miss this.” Teresa shouted!

“Come on babe, don’t be scared.” “Do you really believe in ghost?” Julia whispered in his ear.

“Alright fine, I’ll go.” Titus said quietly.

As they approached the house they knocked on the door and instead of someone opening it the door opened slowly with a screeching noise. The kids looked at each other and shrugged their shoulders and walked through the door. It is pitch black in the house. Titus ran over and turned the lights on and before they knew it, they are surrounded by walking and talking stuffed animals.

“What do we do now? We are surrounded.” shouted Sadie.

“We fight!!!!” replied Scrap.

“Sorry, I’ve always wanted to say that.” he added.

Then their leader showed up. A giant, teddy bear? A human head, metal arms, and stuffed legs.

“We will destroy you and everyone you love.” said Rainbow Sprinkles as he laughed his evil laugh.

Jordan shouted, “ We will never surrender. Sorry I’ve always wanted to say that too.

The toys trapped the kids in a fish net and lowered them into a dungeon of lava. And then………..

I hear in the distance,

“Nicholas. It’s time to wake up, you don’t want to be late on your first day of school now do you?” asked Kerry

When Kerry woke up Nicholas woke up to a jump scare and ran to the bathroom as fast as he could to see if he is burnt from the lava. Then he realized it was all a dream and he finished his day at school with making 5 new friends. He told at least 8 different people about his crazy dream to Wisconsin and they all laughed with him because it wasn’t like any other dreams. This one actually sounded real.