Adventurer | Teen Ink

Adventurer

By Queenie_Slaying_It_14, Indianapolis, Indiana
Queenie_Slaying_It_14, Indianapolis, Indiana

It was June 25th, 1986. I was sitting on my front porch stoop. It was raining outside, and I adored to hear the rain pour down, I also love to feel the midst of it as it touches the ground. I hear the door open from behind me, and to my surprise it’s my brother, he comes to my level and sits next to me. “Why are you out here?” He asks me. I reply “Cause I like the rain, It makes me feel calm.” He gets back up “ok weirdo.” Then he walked back inside. A couple minutes pass the rain is starting to die down, I see a peculiar thing on the gravel near the storm drain across the street. I get up and walk over towards it, I squat down so I can get a closer view of it, it was a little paper boat overlaid with wax. I pick up the boat, and get a good look at it, on the side of the boat had a name but it was a little worn, so I was unable to comprehend what it said. I get back to the house with the boat. I’m sitting at my desk examining it to see if I can understand what it said, was it a note, a call for help? My little brother walks in, I jump and almost tear the boat in half. “Mom wants y-....wait what's that?” He points to the boat “Oh it’s nothing.” I say trying to conceal it behind my back. He walks over to me in a curious manner “Let me see!”, I move the boat away quickly before he can touch it. “Let me see, Let me see, Let me see!” He said desperately trying to reach for it “No it’s not yours.” I said sternly. He stops and has a pouty look on his face. “I’m telling mom!” I shrug, he storms off, and I lock my door. I hear a faint, “Mommy, Regina, isn’t sharing.” “Blake, she doesn’t have to share.” I hear my mother say to him, as he stomps off to the living room. I walk back to my desk, and try to make out what it says, I write down the letters one by one until it spells “The S.S. Georgie.” My eyes widen, as I fall out of my chair in shock.”This is that missing kids boat.” I sit on my room floor to process this information. “Ok, ok this can’t be happening, this isn’t the missing kids boat you're imagining things.” I get back up to see if the boat was still there, it wasn’t and when I sat back down, it was there “AH! Nope nope nope.” I scamper out of my room, downstairs to the kitchen, where my mother was making dinner. I seen my brother sitting down at the dining room table pouting, as always when he doesn’t get his way. My mother brings food to the table.” So, how was both of your day?” She smiles at us. I say “It was ok.” and my little brother being the brat says “No, it wasn't good cause Regina wasn’t being nice, by sharing her stuff with me!”He crosses his arms and pouts, I ignore him.”Well Blake she doesn’t have to share her stuff because it’s hers not yours.” She says while Blake storms off to his room. We finish eating, then I go up to my room, and go to sleep. I’m in a hospital bed, I see stitches, on my neck, chest, and face. I think to myself what happened, I glance out the window and see a boy. He has his head hanging down like he’s upset, then he disappears without a trace. I blink a couple times to see if I was still dreaming, my mother was hugging me, and crying her eyes out on my shoulder, I pat her back letting her it’s ok, and that she needs to let go. She backs off, and when I look at her face it’s covered in blood, her eyes are gouged out, and she’s foaming at the mouth but instead of white it was black, and looked like tar, it dripped out of her mouth onto the side of the bed, It didn’t look like a hospital bed after she let go of me it was like the whole scene changed into a musty damp basement it has mold almost everywhere, and rats scampering across the floor screaming at each other and other creatures roaming around down here. I look on my shoulder where she cried and it was black and red. She smiles a crooked smile, then a tall man walks in with a huge needle, and everything goes black in an instant. I wake up again but this time strapped down on a medical bed. I tried my best to try and slip my hands out without making much noise, then that's when he walked in, it was Georgie. He had a surgical mask on, with a huge butcher knife, with small razors like a pocket knife, or pieces of glass, in his right hand. He places it down on my stomach, then cuts deep into my skin. I let out an unearthly scream, he puts a metal bar over me with a handle at the end it was like a part of a music box but in the middle of the pole was a sharp circular thing. “Why?” I screeched out. He doesn’t answer me, he grabs tweezers, and takes out a part of my stomach and places it over the sharp circular thing, as he turns the handle around, and around slowly. Dragging my stomach out of my shaking almost lifeless body. I look into his eyes, they told me he looked trapped and scared to do this, like someone was forcing him. It was the end of my stomach cord, he grabs the knife, then quickly cuts it away from my body. I scream still in agony, he picks up his pliers this time, puts it up to my teeth, then slowly yanking them out,one by one, as blood is spewing from my mouth, trying to trickle its way down my throat. He then picks up a pair of tweezers that are as big as my eyes, then gouges them out twisting and turning them as one by one the thread of my eye detaches itself from my face. I can no longer see what’s happening, I try to gasp for air, then I feel something eating at my chest, I can hear it crunching at my body, my bones breaking against his teeth, I hear a whistles, sirens all around me, I start screaming then I stopped cause there was a rope around my neck , and the blood still coming from my mouth are suffocating me. I still tried to scream, I let out my last breath, as I felt arms wrap around me. The rope loosened, and the blood dripped out of my mouth, then I blacked out. I woke up screaming not knowing what was going on, then I felt hands on my arms calmly saying “It’s ok Regina.”It was my little brother at the foot of the bed. I settle down, and lay back. “Where’s mom at?” I say having a shaking tone in my voice. “She’s downstairs,why?” He says looking at me with worry. I get up, telling him “No reason.” I run down the stairs, and hug my mom “Woah what’s this for?” she says giggling. “No reason.” I tell her. My little brother walks down the stairs with a rusty knife. “Mommy look what I found in Regina's room.” He goes up to her and stabs her in the throat, I can hear her breath dying down, I take the knife out and try to cover the hole in her throat, then I feel a sharp pain in my back. My little brother stuck a dagger in my back, then he grabbed the rusty now bloody knife, and cuts my face up. I’m able to run and get out of the house. I stop at a tree near the road, and take the one knife out of my back.”Ahhhh...that hurts.”I say groaning. I see a car pass by, I wave at it to stop. It does, three men get out, grab me, put a chloroform rag over my face, I pass out, and they put me in the back of the van. It feels like a couple hours since they caught me, there is a bag over my head, my hands are tied behind my back, I shake my head to get the bag off, and it falls onto the cold rusted floor of the back on the van. I can hear the three men talking, but I don’t understand what they’re saying. I think they’re speaking in a different language. “La llevaremos a la cabaña y el jefe sabrá qué hacer a continuación.”(We'll take her to the cabin and the boss will know what to do next.)The driver says. “Bien, suena bien.” (Well, it sounds good.) The one in the passenger's seat exclaims. We’ve been driving for 15 hours now, we finally stop at a old run down cabin, the smell of it is corrupt. One of the men drag me out of the van, and walk me to the cabin. The smell gets worse, the smell was so bad, it was indescribable. He sits me down on the porch stairs, as he talks to the other two men.”Dónde están?”, “no tengo idea.” the other says. “Bueno, sería mejor estar aquí pronto.” the last one exclaims, he looks like the one that’s in charge and keeps things running. A truck pulls up in front of the house a couple minutes later, “Hey fellas...is she ready to go?” he says to the leader of the three, the leader looks back at the other two and they nod, and he finally turns back to the truck driver.“Sí señor, she’s ready.” the two other goons put me in the passenger's side of the truck, and kind of strap me down to the seat, so I can’t try to escape. Then he starts the truck, and we set off to the unknown. It’s been two days, were still driving, and we haven’t spoken to each other at all. We stop at a deserted gas station, “I’ll be right back, don’t move.” he says, then walks into the gas station. I struggle to get the ropes loose but all they’re doing is tightening themselves, I can feel trickles of blood seep from the ropes, as my hands are losing circulation, they turn purple, and black. I groan in agony, as the ropes won’t stop getting tighter with my every struggle, I stop moving and the ropes loosen a bit, just enough to let my hands breathe. The man comes back outside with food, puts it into the truck, then fills up his gas. When he finishes, gets back into the car, and starts the engine. I look out the window, and see a little boy, playing with his mother...they’re laughing, and having the time of their lives. A tear trickles down my face, as the man turns to face me, and sees what i’m looking at. “Ah...Do you have a family?” He asks looking a little sympathetic, I shake my head “No.” There was a pause then, he says “That’s too bad.”   “Why?” I ask. “Cause I would’ve enjoyed keeping you around longer.” He laughs, and we drive out of the parking lot. It's only been 5 hours since we’ve left from our last stop, it was getting dark, but this night seemed...different, it was darker, there was no life, not even a star in sight. We eventually got to a run down building, he gets out, drags me out with him, and we walk into the building. The smell was horrific it smelled like a rusty penny, with a burnt flesh smell. There is a long hallway with a dozen of double doors on each side, they were severely guarded, and it looks like the doors have heavy locks, either to keep something in, or to keep something out. I can hear screams of girls on the other side of the doors, I begin to scream too “HELP, HELP!” I shout. They open one of the bolted door, they throw me in it like i’m nothing, and maybe I am nothing. I’ve been sitting in here for hours, no one has came to feed me, or give me a blanket at least, it’s freezing in here! How can they live like this, how can they let me live like this?! A little slant in the door opens, and food comes out on a tray for me. I rush over at the door and take it, I look at what it is, it makes my stomach churn, it looks like they gutted a rat, added applesauce to it, heated it up, then puked all over it, and gave it to me. I can’t even begin to explain how disgusting it smells like. It’s a mix between the stench of death, or the stench of dying. But either or it smells diabolical, I shove it back through the door, they take it, and all I hear is laughter. I hear a faint buzzing, a bed spring to life from my wall, it had a blanket and pillows. I jump onto it, cover up, and try to go to sleep. I glance down at the blanket, and their are cockroaches all over it. I scream, spring from my bed, throw the cover off and hide in the corner. I walk back up to the blanket a couple seconds later, and shake it off. But when I looked nothing was on it, I thought to myself, they scurried away I suppose. So I get back up onto my bed, check my blanket cover up, and I fall asleep. I wake up to a siren going off down the hallway, all the doors are wide open, and only one was busted off its hinges, and that’s when I saw him...My little brother standing down at the end of the hallway, tears were falling down his sweet gentle face, he walks up to me, i’m hesitant to walk up to him, so I stay put and wait for him to come to me. He gets to me and cries “Sissy...am...am I a monster?” He looks up at me sobs and also says “I didn’t mean to kill mommy and stab you...he...he told me to.” He points to an empty corner, I don’t look, but I tell him “Look blake...you're not a monster,just ignore “him” ok?” He nods, and I take him out of the building. The other girls follow us, some were crying, others were trying to kill the guards, and got left behind. We get out of the building, and there is a swarm of police cars at the door. “It is ok.” The police man with the megaphone says, “We're here to help you.” Everyone starts cheering, except for one it was the man in the truck that took me here. He snuck up behind me and put a gun to my head “Told you I wasn’t keeping you around long.” He laughs, and pulls the trigger, and everything...goes...blank…

I was helping mama cook in the kitchen, she was humming a heavenly tune. “Can you grab the knife for me, please?” She says smiling at me “Ok mama.” I say smiling back, while grabbing the knife, it was so shiny, it peaked my interest in it. I looked at it, I also touched its razor sharp edge, my finger began to bleed. I covered it up, and handed the knife to my mother. She sees the blood on it, she looks at me a little disappointed, she takes the knife and washes it off, then uses it on the vegetables, I go outside to see what my sister Regina was up to. I sit next to her “What are you doing out here.” I ask. “Cause I like the rain, It makes me feel calm.”, I get back up, and walk away saying, “ok weirdo.” I walk back inside, go up to my room, and play random card games by myself. My sister doesn’t hang out with me like she used to, why does she always want her own space I feel alone and depressed. My mom is yelling for my sister, but of course she can’t hear her, so I walk to my sisters door, and come in. “Mom wants y-....wait what's that?” I ask and point at the boat. “Oh it’s nothing.”  she says trying to hide it from me, it makes me very suspicious of her, so I try to take it.“Let me see!” I say, “No it’s not yours.” she said sternly. I stop and have a pouty look on my face. “I’m telling mom!” I say storming off, “Mommy, Regina, isn’t sharing.”I say with tears in my eyes. “Blake, she doesn’t have to share.” My mother says to me, as I stomp off to the living room. I turn on the TV, all that was on was baby shows, and the other stuff I couldn’t watch, so it was frustrating. I go back to the kitchen, and sit down, cause mama was almost done cooking. I seen Regina come down the stairs she had worry in her eyes, and she sat down at the table too.” So, how was both of your day?” She smiles at us. Regina says “It was ok.” I say in a frustrated and rude manner “No, it wasn't good cause Regina wasn’t being nice, by sharing her stuff with me!”I cross my arms and pout, Regina ignores me.”Well Blake she doesn’t have to share her stuff because it’s hers not yours.” She says while I storm off to my room. I lay in my bed, just thinking, then that’s when it happened I hear someone in my room. “Hello b-b-blake.” It says, It sounds scared, and that makes me scared. “H-hi, what’s your n-name?” I say, i’m terrified, I didn’t even move a muscle. I can hear it close to my ear, “C-c-can you d-do something for m-m-me?” I think about it for a second “w-w-w-well?” the thing says once more “ok…” I say I’m shaking at this point. “O-ok g-g-g-good…….I need y-you t-to stab y-you're mother in the throat, and stab y-y-your sister’s b-back.” I start crying “I-I-I can’t, I love them too much.” It felt so close that I could feel it’s breath on my neck “They won’t d-d-d-die, they’ll j-just be injured, it’s l-l-like payback f-for you sister f-for being so f-f-f-f-rustrat-ting.” I nod “o-ok.” I say, i’m bawling at this point “I-i-i’ll give you t-t-ill tomorrow.” it says, and I can’t feel its presence no longer, and i’m finally able to fall asleep. It’s morning, I woke up to a blood curdling scream from my sisters room, and I rush in. I grab her arms “It’s ok Regina.” I say reassuring her, she seemed to calm down “Where’s mom at?” she says “She’s downstairs,why?” I say looking at her with worry. She gets up, telling me “No reason.” she runs down the stairs. I find a rusted knife under her bed, as I began to walk down the stairs with it “Mommy look what I found in Regina's room.” I say walking up to her then stabbing her in the throat. My sister runs to her aid as I grab another ancient knife, and stab my sister into her back. She tries to take it out but i grab the rusted, bloody one on the floor then I begin to cut her face up with it. She runs outside, I see her run behind a tree near the road, and I hear her ”Ahhhh...that hurts.”She said groaning, as she takes the knife out of her back. All of a sudden a van pulls up, three men climb out, and force her into the car. They drove away, I chased down the car for 15 hours, i’m breathless, but finally it stops at an old cabin. The men were speaking spanish I translated what they were saying.Where are they?, I have no idea. the other says.Well, it would be better to be here soon. the last one exclaims, he looks like the one that’s in charge and keeps things running. A truck pulls up in front of the house a couple minutes later, “Hey fellas...is she ready to go?” he says to the leader of the three, the leader looks back at the other two and they nod, and he finally turns back to the truck driver.“Yes sir, she’s ready.” the two other goons put her in the passenger's side of the truck, and kind of strap her down to the seat, so she can’t try to escape. Then he starts the truck, and we set off to the unknown. I make sure to keep my distance and stay hidden, but I also make sure that I catch up, and don’t lose them, it’s a very hard combination. It’s been two days, they’re still driving, We stop at a deserted gas station. I see him tell her something, but I can’t make it out, the man goes inside the gas station, I wanted to go, I wanted to help her, but what if she takes it the wrong way? What if she thinks I came back to kill her? I don’t want to kill her...hopefully I didn’t kill mom. I see her struggling, for the past couple minutes, then the man comes back outside, and fills up his gas. He gets back in the car and starts the engine. I make sure to follow closely behind, I’ve been tailing behind them for 5 hours, and we finally reach our destination. We arrive at run down building, he gets out, drags her out with him, and they walk into the building, with me following closely behind. The smell was horrific it smelled like a rusty penny, with a burnt flesh smell. There is a long hallway with a dozen of double doors on each side, they were severely guarded, and it looks like the doors have heavy locks, to keep something in, or someone. I can hear screams of girls on the other side of the doors, She began to scream too “HELP, HELP!” she shouted. They open one of the bolted doors, they throw her in it like she’s nothing. There's a staircase, at the entrance before the double doors, I crawl under them, and wait for hours. Finally, They come from their posts feeding my sister the most horrid thing i’ve seen in my life, and they fed the other things the same stuff too. I looked around for something that could potentially explode, so I go into another part of the building, there are weapons, and explosives galore. I grab one and set it for tomorrow morning when everyone's asleep, when I come back near the double doored hallway, I forget which door was my sisters, so I placed it on the first one I saw, and booked it when I seen one of the guards come back. I crossed my fingers hoping this would work. I slid back under the stairs and waited till tomorrow morning. It was time, time for the explosive to go off, it’d be any second now. Then it did, I looked in the double doored room, and she wasn’t there, no one was. I didn’t see a guard in sight, what was going on, eventually a siren goes off from the smoke, and all the doors fly open, I see my sister at the end of the hall. tears were falling down my face, I walk up to her, she’s hesitant to walk up to me, she stays put and waits for me to come to her. I get to her and cry “Sissy...am...am I a monster?” I look up at her sobbing and also saying “I didn’t mean to kill mommy and stab you...he...he told me to.” I point to the thing it finally showed its true form, it’s face was melted, parts of it were missing, and it had an evil crooked smile, She doesn't look, but she tells me “Look blake...you're not a monster,just ignore “him” ok?” I nod, and she guides me out of the building. The other girls follow us, some were crying, others were trying to kill the guards, and got left behind. We get out of the building, and there is a swarm of police cars at the door. “It is ok.” The police man with the megaphone says, “We're here to help you.” Everyone starts cheering, except for one it was the man in the truck that took her here. He snuck up behind my sister and put a gun to her head “Told you I wasn’t keeping you around long.” He laughs, and pulls the trigger. She falls into the dirt, I start screaming, and grab a sharp metal piece from the building that must’ve fell off. I trip him, i’m now glaring over him, he looks at me with horror, as I stab him anywhere vulnerable, his eyes first, then his stomach, finally shoving the piece down his throat and letting him choke on it. I can see the blood spewing from his mouth, I enjoyed killing him, I felt like I could do this everyday, the pleasure of it gave me...joy…

I remember my brother screaming, and blood shed, everywhere. All there was, was Darkness. I was scared I didn't know, I didn’t see where I was, or even know what was around me. A fire lights up all around me in a circle, I see something walk up towards me, before I get a glimpse of its face, I realize it was the devil. Then the scene changes to a hospital ceiling, I see nurses and doctors at my aid. Then I see my brothers face, He’s right beside me laying his head down on the side of the bed with dried tears on his cheeks. The doctor is checking my blood pressure, and making sure i’m still alive. I’m laying there in pain, I try to move my head, but my neck is trapped on the hospital bed. I see my brother wake up, and hug me. “Thank Jesus you ok!” He says excitedly. “Heh yea, I guess.” I say nervously. “What, what's wrong.” He asks me curious, but with a worried face. “I-I seen the devil, If i would’ve died, I would’ve gone t-to hell…” Blake looks at me worried for a second then laughs. “No you wouldn’t of went to hell, that was probably the drugs the doctors gave you, and made you fantasize about it.” He says still laughing. “Maybe...Maybe you right.” I say, with a sigh. My brother stops laughing, then some heavily secure guards bust down the door, and take my brother. “WHERE ARE YOU TAKING HIM!?” I scream, the doctors come in to calm me down, but it’s no use, I break the strap around my neck holding me down, I break the cuffs holding my hands and feet down, and I get up. I throw the doctors out of my way like there nothing, I throw one of the guards out the window, and the others run off with blake. I run after them and throw him into a moving vehicle. The last one I chased down, threw him to the ground and crushed his skull, his brain was splattered everywhere. I grab my brother, and we run off somewhere. We get to a gas station, and ask for a ride home from there. It’s been a couple hours driving, and we begin to recognize the houses, close to ours, but he drove right by ours. “Sir you missed our house.” Blake says from the back seat. “I know.” the man says with an sinister look in his eyes. “I told you we shouldn’t of went in the car!” I scream whispered to my brother. He shrugs, “It’s not like anything that has happened to us could be worse.” He says. I open the side door of the car, throw me and my brother out, and run. The van goes into reverse and follows us all the way back to our house, when we arrive the police were there carrying a body bag. “Is mom?” blake says about to cry. “No they’re just putting her in the hospital, but she won’t be able to come back, cause of how fragile she is now.” I say trying to comfort him. “Oh, ok.” he says. We get inside the house, it’s completely cleaned, then I seen mom in the kitchen. I was shocked, I thought mom died! But when I went to hug her she turned into dust, and flew out the window.Just my imagination I thought to myself, I see my brother going around the house in awe to how clean it is. I go to my room, and I see the boat on the floor I found a few days ago, but this time the name S.S georgie is crossed out, and it’s says “I’m watching.”

THE END